Duncan Bypass

Started by rte66man, November 25, 2016, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Quote from: rte66man on March 20, 2019, 07:38:05 PM

While it is correct to show taking the extension to get to West OK7, someone not familiar with the area would be confused as there are no reassurance signs for 10 miles.

Is it just me, or should the TO OK 7 posts have been placed sooner, or alongside the BGS?  Having them where they are obscures the BGS unnecessarily IMO.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

rte66man

Quote from: txstateends on March 20, 2019, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: rte66man on March 20, 2019, 07:38:05 PM

While it is correct to show taking the extension to get to West OK7, someone not familiar with the area would be confused as there are no reassurance signs for 10 miles.

Is it just me, or should the TO OK 7 posts have been placed sooner, or alongside the BGS?  Having them where they are obscures the BGS unnecessarily IMO.

Agreed. I was using a zoom set at 70mm so there is little distance compression in the photo. District 7 makes some very odd signage choices.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

This corridor will receive a slight upgrade with a grade separation conversion at Elk Road.

QuoteODOT proposes to construct an overpass and interchange at Duncan Bypass and Elk Avenue, with Duncan Bypass elevated over Elk Avenue. Constructing an interchange on an offset alignment will offer improvements to accommodate future traffic growth and enhanced safety, and offer a straight roadway between Elk and Beech avenues. The existing Duncan Bypass and Elk Avenue will remain open during construction and access to residences and businesses will be maintained.

- https://www.duncanbypass.com/information/project-history

Plutonic Panda

I'm happy to see more grade separations. The entire thing through the city needs to be a fully controlled access facility. At some point ODOT should work with Texas to get US-81 a full freeway to US-287 even if initially built as a super two. It'd increase accessibility to DFW for the SW region of Oklahoma.

Bobby5280

The Elk Avenue project should be easy to complete. They've already had the ROW secure. In Google Earth you can literally see the ROW outline that makes room for a future diamond shaped exit. The same goes for Plato Road, Camelback Road and Osage Road. The intersection at Boren Blvd is an odd one. It looks almost like they carved out enough space for a couple of flyover ramps or something.

I'd like to know if the Northern extension of the Duncan bypass back into US-81 is a dead affair or just kind of hanging in limbo for the time being. I know ODOT was working on plans for the Duncan Bypass to dovetail back into US-81 South of Marlow. But I guess progress just kind of got suspended.

Regarding larger plans for US-81, I don't think it's nearly an important enough to justify upgrading into a freeway. I think just making a regular 4-lane route with limited access bypasses in key towns is going to be good enough.

Stephane Dumas

Seems then Google maps jumped the gun and referred the Duncan bypass as OK-7. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5603367,-97.9738619,14z

And speaking of larger plans for US-81, is the Chikasha bypass proposal is still on their plans?

Bobby5280

As far as I can tell the Chickasha Bypass is still in the works. I don't know the time-table when construction is supposed to start. But they've already done years worth of EIS and public meetings. I just don't know if the bypass has reached the Record of Decision phase for shovels to start breaking ground.

Whatever the plans may be, ODOT and OTA had better get to work on it soon. Chickasha is threatening to turn into an exhurb of OKC. If ODOT and OTA screw around too long they'll wake up and find out a bunch of housing developments going up all across the ROW they should have reserved by now.

Plutonic Panda

I believe the Chickasha bypass was broken into phases. My memory could be off but they hundreds of millions dedicated for it and had applied for a federal grant. They didn't get selected for the grant money the last couple times they applied and I thought they were going to break ground on the entire thing in 2021 or 2022.

Now they're going build out a super two in some areas and break it into multiple phases. My memory could be off but that's where I believe the project stands.

Bobby5280

Even if they have to build the Chickasha Bypass in phases, like what has been going on with the Duncan Bypass, it will still be a good plan. The critical thing is getting the ROW reserved. Once that land is locked-in ODOT will be able to eventually piece together a 4-lane divided Interstate quality bypass.

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ agreed and I think that's what they're aiming for. Hopefully we see more of this. Similar to the senator filing a bill to preserve ROW for a future Kickapoo turnpike north to I 35

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 14, 2022, 08:45:03 PM
I believe the Chickasha bypass was broken into phases. My memory could be off but they hundreds of millions dedicated for it and had applied for a federal grant. They didn't get selected for the grant money the last couple times they applied and I thought they were going to break ground on the entire thing in 2021 or 2022.

Now they're going build out a super two in some areas and break it into multiple phases. My memory could be off but that's where I believe the project stands.

Most recent Federal grant application:
https://oklahoma.gov/odot/progress-and-performance/federal-grant-awards/infra-grants/2021-grady-county-us-81-realignment.html
https://oklahoma.gov/odot/progress-and-performance/federal-grant-awards/infra-grants/us-81-realignment-hntb.html

And, yes, part of it will be a Super-2:  :angry:
https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects/public-meetings-and-hearings/20170323.html

They are making the junction with US62 an at-grade intersection. Not sure if they are buying the ROW for future expansion.  :angry: :angry:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Yeah they said they'll preserve ROW and upgrade it accordingly. For awhile I was under the assumption it would all be built out at once. Not sure where I got that idea from.

Bobby5280

Quote from: rte66manThey are making the junction with US62 an at-grade intersection. Not sure if they are buying the ROW for future expansion.

ROW is already preserved for a future diamond interchange with US-62. At least it is on the North side of the intersection. There is a pretty big gap of green space off to the right of the US-81 turn going North off US-62.

Plutonic Panda

The Duncan bypass will soon be resurfaced 
Quotean estimated $4 million resurfacing of the Duncan Bypass in Stephens County

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2023/april-commission-meeting-scheduled-for-monday--april-3.html

Bobby5280

I'm not surprised they're planning a resurfacing project. The Duncan Bypass is already over 20 years old. Oklahoma has a lot of unstable red clay soil.

Going back in time when they first completed the current Super-2 configuration I figured the thing would be four-lane divided by the time we got into the 2020's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.