Southern Ohio: SR 823 / Portsmouth Bypass

Started by seicer, June 17, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustMePatrick

Quote from: hbelkins on December 14, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on December 14, 2018, 02:38:04 PM
Nice to see they were able to open it on the target date.

I look forward to driving it. It'll probably be another month or two before I get the chance though.

I'm going to try to go see it one of the days I'm off over Christmas or New Year's Day.

I'll get to drive it next Friday going to visit family that weekend, and will drive it again on my way back North.  I plan on taking video for those interested and posting on Youtube.

Also in my post HERE WSAZ has updated their web article with video from this morning when the road was officially opened to traffic.

sparker

After seeing the many "flyover" videos posted during the construction process, it's nice to hear that 823's finally open to traffic.  It's likely to be the only portion of the original proposed OH I-73/74 corridor that will see the light of day for at least the next decade or two (and it helped that it was on a longstanding ARC corridor, for what that's worth these days -- at least enough history to get the Portsmouth bypass portion on the radar).

seicer

South Bloomfield has a limited access bypass proposed, too. I can see that happening before 2030 with all of the tremendous growth occurring south of I-270. And even though there was the I-73 Coalition some years ago, it found that the costs would outweigh the benefits and that there was not as much local support for the project because US 23 generally works very well.

Edit: ODOT has proposed a Waverly bypass but I can't find that plan.

frankenroad

Quote from: JustMePatrick on December 14, 2018, 10:21:57 AM
It is open!
http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/OHDOT-22276bb

SM-N950U

As of 4:30 Eastern, 12/14

It is NOT on Google Maps
It is on Yahoo Maps
Pieces of it are on Rand McNally maps

A few years ago, when a new ramp was built near me, Rand McNally was first to have it on their site.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

JustMePatrick

Quote from: frankenroad on December 14, 2018, 04:34:47 PM
It is open!

SM-N950U

It is NOT on Google Maps
It is on Yahoo Maps

A few years ago, when a new ramp was built near me, Rand McNally was first to have it on their site.

It's on Bing too, but it still shows the route as closed.  I suspect that is who ODOT uses for ohgo.com mapping is bing.  Bing even has more updated Sat images than Google.

Roadsguy

It is open!

SM-N950U

It is NOT on Google Maps
It is on Yahoo Maps

It's on OSM.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Buck87

Quote from: seicer on December 14, 2018, 04:32:20 PM
South Bloomfield has a limited access bypass proposed, too. I can see that happening before 2030 with all of the tremendous growth occurring south of I-270

Do you have a link to that?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 14, 2018, 05:30:04 PM
It is open!

SM-N950U

It is NOT on Google Maps
It is on Yahoo Maps

It's on OSM.

It's on Waze... I just checked it to make sure that it was on there...

seicer

Quote from: Buck87 on December 14, 2018, 05:39:49 PM
South Bloomfield has a limited access bypass proposed, too. I can see that happening before 2030 with all of the tremendous growth occurring south of I-270

I can't find it anymore on ODOT's website. It was basically a four-lane bypass to the east with one interchange (IIRC).

--

There is a mention in regards to the OH 762 interchange project: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/SPR/Pic-East-West/Documents/Planning%20Documentation/Planning%20Study%20Report%20-%2006292009.pdf

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on December 14, 2018, 05:39:49 PM

When I googled 'South Bloomfield bypass' I got 3-4 planning documents (approx 150 pages each) that reference a promised South Bloomfield bypass. Several of these documents connect the proposed 'South Bloomfield bypass' with the extension of Oh 762 that was built to Rickenbacker Airport. They are all from 5-10 years ago.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

seicer

Yeah, it was from around then. One had a fairly detailed outline of what the highway would look like - the number of lanes, proposed right-of-way, and so on. I see nothing in the STIP.

JustMePatrick

So, some people really couldn't wait to break the highway in. Sheesh.  :banghead:

Pay attention and no speeding!  :pan:

compdude787

Wow. One day open and an accident already!

hbelkins

If the weather there was anything like it was a few dozen miles to the southwest, it was a crappy evening to be out due to the rain.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

I can't wait for Google to route me on the non-existent SR 823 bypass when I'm back down in Appalachia in a few days!

sparker

Quote from: seicer on December 19, 2018, 03:40:27 PM
I can't wait for Google to route me on the non-existent SR 823 bypass when I'm back down in Appalachia in a few days!

Well........at least you know it's there even if they don't -- and that's what counts when you're out in the field!

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on December 19, 2018, 04:34:30 PM

Well........at least you know it's there even if they don't -- and that's what counts when you're out in the field!

Run Waze when you drive it. That might give them the information they need to confirm that it's open now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JustMePatrick

Quote from: hbelkins on December 20, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Quote from: sparker on December 19, 2018, 04:34:30 PM

Run Waze when you drive it. That might give them the information they need to confirm that it's open now.
Waze doesn't have a problem wanting to route me on to 823.

SM-N950U

sparker

OH 823's actual physical format reminds me of I-80 over the Sierras between Colfax and Yuba Gap (but with more generous curvature) or CA 58 west of Tehachapi -- 2+2, K-rail down the middle, etc.  Then from other angles it looks a bit European -- like pictures I've seen of the Autobahns and a number of the "A" expressways.  Just hope I can get to drive it if I get back that way again!

Buck87

JustMePatrick

I got to drive on it a little while ago, SB to US 52.  Pictures and video doesnt do it justice.  The first cut in the hill was massive.  I was impressed they had had barrier wall with fencing to catch rock falls.  Once I have my video ready I will post a link.

SM-N950U

seicer

Looks like we need to submit exit numbers for the new road on Google. Not sure how to do that.

Buck87

They've posted one final plane flyover video, which was taken 2 days before the bypass opened to traffic. It's currently on the ppg website's front page:

https://www.pgg823.com

VS988

US 89

Quote from: seicer on December 21, 2018, 09:14:10 PM
Looks like we need to submit exit numbers for the new road on Google. Not sure how to do that.

You can try going the route of "report a data problem", but they don't seem to care. They used to have a site where you could edit the map yourself, but they closed that down after someone drew an Android logo pissing on an Apple logo somewhere in Pakistan.

JustMePatrick

My video taken on Friday December, 21 2018.

https://youtu.be/6LEkcJopX3M

Video is running 2x original speed. With text exit description as you are approaching.

SM-N950U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.