News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-270-315-US 23 interchange

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 27, 2012, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT announced today that they will start work on rebuilding the interchange between US 23 and I-270 as well as tunneling thru traffic along US 23 from I-270 north (past Camp Mary Orton for the locals).
After spending the last 20 months saying that ODOT can't afford everyone's wishlist, Jerry Wray is allowing this project to go forth with just $70 million from the feds and the rest of the funds for this project yet to be determined. So much for fiscal conservatism.
TV link for the announcement - http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/27/major-makeover-detailed-us-23-sr-315-i-270-ar-1187736/
ODOT link for the project - http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/I-270/Pages/default.aspx
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Actually, some phases of this project have already been executed:
* Realignment and widening of ramps from 270 to 315 SB, eliminating merges (and creating safer lane drops downstream)
* Linworth Rd bridge rebuild
* I-270 bridge widenings east of US 23
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

The $71 Million Phase 1 of this project was one of the many things included in the recent state wide $3 Billion approval by TRAC.

I really like the idea of having separate ramps for 23 S to 315 and 23 S to 270 W (which looks to be part of a later phase)

I'm not overly fond of the signalized intersections for 270 to 23, though I guess that was the only way to get rid of the cloverleaf weaving, short of some sort of flyover which would have been a bit extravagant for this location. At least with the express trench thing it turns out to be net loss of one traffic light for 270 E to 23 N and a net loss of 2 traffic lights for 270 W to 23 N

Central Avenue

I admit, I'm kinda sad to see the "Exit 23" signage go.

Granted, it never really made any sense--that section of US 23 isn't a freeway, and shouldn't have exit numbers anyway--but it was neat to see the three-way "23" coincidence (Route number 23, exit 23 of I-270, and mile 23 of US 23 in Franklin County) noted in some way.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Buck87

JREwing78

It seems odd to go to the trouble of grade-separating traffic and only do it in one direction.

vtk

Of course it would be ideal to have two-way freeway conversion all the way to Waldo, but I'll take what I can get.

PS – cloverleaf becomes parclo July 6.

6a

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 29, 2014, 12:32:08 AM
It seems odd to go to the trouble of grade-separating traffic and only do it in one direction.
I'm not sure there's room to do that for two carriageways; I figure they're thinking traffic coming off the freeway gets priority. It *would* be cool to have the trench reversible but that would make heads explode here.

cl94

Quote from: 6a on June 29, 2014, 05:07:18 PM

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 29, 2014, 12:32:08 AM
I'm not sure there's room to do that for two carriageways; I figure they're thinking traffic coming off the freeway gets priority. It *would* be cool to have the trench reversible but that would make heads explode here.

I remember what happened when Mike Coleman brought up the possibility of light rail in Columbus. Being from the east coast, I thought it was a great idea, but people from their had their heads exploding. Columbus may be the 15th-largest city in America, but it functions like a small town in so many ways, partially because much of the growth is very recent. Reversible would be nice, but I can't picture people there buying it. If they're not going to build I-73, I'd certainly take this. I've been stuck at lights over there for more time than I ever should have spent there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

6a

They say this is the biggest small town in America.  At least there is some new noise about rail from downtown to the airport, whatever the hell that would do.  But yeah, I've lived in plenty of places where reversible lanes are normal, and I usually have faith in drivers here adapting to weird things but reversible lanes might be a bit too much.

vtk

People here complain about roundabouts and the DDI at Roberts Rd.  These are the same people who avoid those places, specifically because they don't want to have to adapt.

On the other hand, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about the SPUI at Sawmill in a while.

cl94

Quote from: vtk on July 12, 2014, 03:57:38 PM
People here complain about roundabouts and the DDI at Roberts Rd.  These are the same people who avoid those places, specifically because they don't want to have to adapt.

On the other hand, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about the SPUI at Sawmill in a while.

They've finally stopped complaining about the SPUI? Are they still complaining about the one at Sunbury? If they're complaining about the DDI, I expect all hell to break loose when they reconfigure the south innerbelt and get rid of Exit 100.

I've always thought Roberts Road would be a good spot for a DDI. Not a great SPUI candidate, but from what I've seen, the DDI works.

I know there are a bunch of mini-roundabouts on the east side, between Bexley and James Rd. I've seen people treat them pretty strangely, namely turning left without rounding the planter in the middle. Why they're even there still baffles me, as at least 2 approaches have stop signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

6a

Quote from: cl94 on July 12, 2014, 04:37:39 PM

I've always thought Roberts Road would be a good spot for a DDI. Not a great SPUI candidate, but from what I've seen, the DDI works.

I live right off Roberts, that DDI is nothing short of a God-given miracle.  It really works because they nailed the timing of the lights at Wilson and Westbelt as well to clear off the bridges smoothly.

Buck87

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/news/Pages/Second-Project-on-North-Side-To-Begin-this-Summer.aspx

The 270 east & 315 north to US 23 section of the north side fix project will now be starting next summer, 6 years ahead of schedule.

Buck87

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/I-270/Documents/North%20Side%20MEGA%20Fix%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

According to this pdf, the part of the overall project that involves separate ramps from US 23 to 315 and 270 also begins this year along with the projects on 270 and 315 that were mentioned in my above post. Since so much will be going on at the same time they have apparently decided to change the name of the overall project from the "North Side Fix" to the "North Side MEGA Fix"

I really like the concept of those separate ramps off 23 and am glad to see that part of the project getting underway.

vtk

Wow. So that's it, isn't it? Are there any more components not yet funded? The way the Linworth Rd bridge was rebuilt, it looks like they left room for some more width or ramp extensions along 270 west of 315. I seem to recall something about a new 315 NB to 270 WB ramp in the long run...

Buck87

vtk

Today ODOT tweeted that the trench will open Thursday. I presume they mean Thursday, September 10.

Buck87

noelbotevera

Why NB? SB deserves the same treatment.

6a

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 13, 2015, 03:12:58 PM
Why NB? SB deserves the same treatment.
NB has to deal with traffic exiting 270. I'd have liked to have seen a reversible lane setup, but that would fry many brains around here.

okroads

I took some pictures of the new trench on U.S. 23 northbound today:

DSC08383 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC08384 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC08385 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC08386 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC08387 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC08388 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

vtk

ODOT expects to have improvements to the southbound 23 way ready within days (I forget exactly when, but it was qualified with "weather permitting") according to Twitter. I think this means they'll have it restriped to its final lane configuration, with a third through lane and left turn lanes for the intersections that span the trench.

Meanwhile, along 270, work has begun modifying the westbound 270 ramp to 315 bridge over the Olentangy, and there's some significant excavation going on in the westbound braid area. A bridge abutment is taking shape just west of 23. And there are already hints of the new ramps from 270 eastbound to 23 and from southbound 315 to eastbound 270.

okroads

Quote from: vtk on November 15, 2015, 03:43:40 AM
ODOT expects to have improvements to the southbound 23 way ready within days (I forget exactly when, but it was qualified with "weather permitting") according to Twitter. I think this means they'll have it restriped to its final lane configuration, with a third through lane and left turn lanes for the intersections that span the trench.

Meanwhile, along 270, work has begun modifying the westbound 270 ramp to 315 bridge over the Olentangy, and there's some significant excavation going on in the westbound braid area. A bridge abutment is taking shape just west of 23. And there are already hints of the new ramps from 270 eastbound to 23 and from southbound 315 to eastbound 270.

I live about a mile away from the 270/23 interchange so I've taken a lot of pictures in the past month or so that I've been here. With that in mind, I haven't made it over there since Sunday night when they were supposed to restripe it (and nearby Campus View Blvd as well) but I will take pictures Saturday morning when on my way south to Kentucky.

Buck87

I was in Columbus twice recently and was able to drive the trench both times, once from the ramp from 270 east and once from the ramp from 270 west. Nice improvement, and I look forward to seeing how they end up signing the entrance to the trench and local lanes, and whether there will be signage on the ramps from 270 telling you which turn lanes lead to the trench/local lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.