News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I hope Google Maps Street View is updated to show the STH 15 Hortonville Bypass soon. The two streets the bypass crosses over (N. Nash St. and CTH M/N. Olk St.) haven't had their Street Views updated since September 2009. Ditto for CTH JJ/W. Broadway Dr.

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2024, 05:29:46 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on March 29, 2024, 05:31:36 PMDrove the new Wis 15 Hortonville Bypass. It was painted with black/white striping which I've never seen used in Wisconsin in recent years. Pictures in the Wisconsin Roads Facebook group.

Are you talking about the white-black alternating striping? I don't go on Facebook often, would you mind sharing a photo or a specific link?

There's a member of this forum who works for WisDOT, I don't recall his name off the top of my head. He mentioned that Wisconsin is moving away from the "Oreo cookie" in favor of the alternating pattern.

That is me! Glad to see some pictures finally. We are just getting ready to start painting in the next week or two up here and I'm eager to see how it comes out. Spent some time in Iowa last weekend and really liked seeing the white black lag contrast.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

JoePCool14

Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on April 09, 2024, 08:55:32 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on March 29, 2024, 05:31:36 PMDrove the new Wis 15 Hortonville Bypass. It was painted with black/white striping which I've never seen used in Wisconsin in recent years. Pictures in the Wisconsin Roads Facebook group.

Are you talking about the white-black alternating striping? I don't go on Facebook often, would you mind sharing a photo or a specific link?

There's a member of this forum who works for WisDOT, I don't recall his name off the top of my head. He mentioned that Wisconsin is moving away from the "Oreo cookie" in favor of the alternating pattern.

That is me! Glad to see some pictures finally. We are just getting ready to start painting in the next week or two up here and I'm eager to see how it comes out. Spent some time in Iowa last weekend and really liked seeing the white black lag contrast.

Thanks for quoting, sorry I didn't mention your account!

I think I'm fairly neutral on the Oreo cookie versus the white-black alternating patterns. Have studies shown the latter to be more effective?

Either way, it's better than IDOT, still using 4" and 5" lines with rare contrasting. Heck, on some expressways, the striping's just gone entirely anyway. Gotta use the unraveled joints to figure out where the lanes are.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

peterj920

I traveled Wis 50 east of I-94 to check out that completed project. East of Wis 31 the Wis 50 shields are now covered in green and Wis 50 signs are removed from Wis 32 with only the "To 94 7 miles" sign remaining. However, there's still Wis 50 signs standing on the portion between Pershing Blvd and Wis 32. I wonder why the effort is mace to green out the Wis 50 shields on the 75th street signs but not remove all the signs?

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on April 13, 2024, 11:00:54 AMI traveled Wis 50 east of I-94 to check out that completed project. East of Wis 31 the Wis 50 shields are now covered in green and Wis 50 signs are removed from Wis 32 with only the "To 94 7 miles" sign remaining. However, there's still Wis 50 signs standing on the portion between Pershing Blvd and Wis 32. I wonder why the effort is mace to green out the Wis 50 shields on the 75th street signs but not remove all the signs?
Remind me - why remove it?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on April 13, 2024, 11:00:54 AMI traveled Wis 50 east of I-94 to check out that completed project. East of Wis 31 the Wis 50 shields are now covered in green and Wis 50 signs are removed from Wis 32 with only the "To 94 7 miles" sign remaining. However, there's still Wis 50 signs standing on the portion between Pershing Blvd and Wis 32. I wonder why the effort is mace to green out the Wis 50 shields on the 75th street signs but not remove all the signs?
Typical lollygagging by government.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 14, 2024, 07:52:45 AM
Remind me - why remove it?

I believe its because they needed the mileage for WI-311.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Highway_311

Anyway, the signs will come down eventually. Wisconsin is usually pretty good about these things.

Big John

^^ I thought that was the reason WI 83 was truncated to Hartford.

SEWIGuy

Oh yeah...you might be right about that.

The Ghostbuster

I don't see anything about STH 50 being truncated on the eastern end, so it still "officially" ends at STH 32. We'll see what develops.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 14, 2024, 10:27:11 PMI don't see anything about STH 50 being truncated on the eastern end, so it still "officially" ends at STH 32. We'll see what develops.

Then why are the Wis 50 shields "greened over" east of Wis 31 on the 75th street signs and the Jct Wis 50 signs removed from Wis 32?

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 10, 2024, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on April 09, 2024, 08:55:32 PM

Thanks for quoting, sorry I didn't mention your account!

I think I'm fairly neutral on the Oreo cookie versus the white-black alternating patterns. Have studies shown the latter to be more effective?

Either way, it's better than IDOT, still using 4" and 5" lines with rare contrasting. Heck, on some expressways, the striping's just gone entirely anyway. Gotta use the unraveled joints to figure out where the lanes are.

The biggest reason is that by moving to 6 and 10 inch lane and channelization lines, having an inch of oreo on either side of that would make the new wider lines even wider. I guess they've found the other states that use them find them more effective.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.