News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: codyg1985It probably wouldn't take much for MoDOT to upgrade it to a full freeway through there, though. The big question is what will be built between Walnut Ridge and Poplar Bluff. It sounds more and more like either an expressway or a five-lane "Arkansas Freeway." IMO if they are going to spend the money to build an interstate-quality road all the way from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge, AHTD should at least finish the job up to Missouri.

I think I said it a few pages earlier in this thread, but just to repeat, if AHTD builds the segment North of Walnut Ridge as a five lane facility they should build in some strict legislation regarding businesses and residences that try to build perpendicular at-grade entrances into the road.

If the five lane facility is build at Interstate grade, has a wide enough ROW and/or mandated set-backs for new businesses and residences along the alignment a future upgrade to a fully limited access freeway would be a lot more feasible. Space would be available to add frontage roads wherever they were needed. The fifth, center lane could be replaced with a concrete Jersey barrier or cable barrier like some of the turnpikes here in Oklahoma. Without such controls over development adjacent to this alignment it would be difficult or impossible to upgrade that road into an Interstate level facility without creating yet another new alignment.

bugo

They're not going to convert current US 67 into a freeway.  Too many driveways and intersections.  If the I-30 gap is ever filled, it will be on new location.  Even AHTD isn't dumb enough to try to turn what is now US 67 into a five laner then into a freeway.  The ROW costs would be higher than the construction costs.

Bobby5280

I was under the impression they were going to build the 5-lane thing on a new alignment. If all they're going to do is widen the existing US-67 road then, yes, there's no way that's ever going to be upgraded to a freeway. The only chance is building a 5-lane facility on a completely new alignment and strictly controlling the development along it.

bugo

It would be stupid to build a 5 lane on a new alignment.

AHTD

Something to think about....

When Missouri backed off its commitment to four-lane U.S. 67 to the Arkansas state line, we had to re-boot our process and look at other feasible alternatives on how to get from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line.

That study is almost complete and will be presented to the Arkansas Highway Commission during its July meeting. We will post it here once the Commission signs off on it.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED! The good folks in Missouri are voting on their 3/4-cent tax in August.

If they pass it and Big MO runs U.S. 67 to the state line.....
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Avalanchez71

I would not vote to increase my taxes.

US 41

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 30, 2014, 08:30:31 PM
I would not vote to increase my taxes.

Neither would I. If it's an important enough issue they will find the money for it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

bugo

I think taxes should be raised.  The roads in Arkansas (and many other states) are in awful shape or need to be completely relocated for safety reasons.  I don't mind paying a couple dollars more for a tank of gas if it means that I'm not in danger of being killed on a deadly road.

US 41

Quote from: bugo on July 01, 2014, 12:49:48 AM
I think taxes should be raised.  The roads in Arkansas (and many other states) are in awful shape or need to be completely relocated for safety reasons.  I don't mind paying a couple dollars more for a tank of gas if it means that I'm not in danger of being killed on a deadly road.

The tax raise would be in Missouri, not Arkansas.

Bobby5280

It's amazing to me just how giant a struggle it is for states and even the federal government to build new highways or upgrade existing ones today. Much of the Interstate highway system was built for far less money, even adjusting the dollars for inflation. I can't help but wonder just what the hell has been going on during the last 10-20 years to make something like a highway project so costly anymore.

I'm sorry if that sounds like ignorance, but there is some really steep cost inflation taking place in these projects. Steel and concrete prices have shot up quite a lot during the last 15 years, due in large part to globalization and "nation building" elsewhere. But I don't think steel and concrete prices alone account for some of these giant sized price hikes.

On a fundamental level, if the United States had only started to build the Interstate highway system at today's prices there's absolutely no hope it would ever get built.

As to the "raising taxes" thing, our way of life in this country is not free. Infrastructure costs money (roads, water lines, sewage lines, reservoirs, treatment plants, landfills, power stations, etc., etc.). Too many Americans take that stuff for granted, almost as if somebody is waving a magic wand and it appears out of nowhere for free. A big reason why the third world undercuts this country in terms of labor prices and many other things is they don't have an infrastructure like ours to maintain. A lot of Americans have never been outside this country to see just how it is in other places.

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but here in Oklahoma the gas tax has been pretty much the same for the 20 years I've lived here. It's pretty easy to tell that tax ain't coming close to covering the building cost for new roads, much less the maintenance on existing ones. I have a strong feeling if the taxes aren't hiked at the pump they're going to be hiked elsewhere. We may end up with RFID tags on all our windshields and getting them popped for toll money at every street corner we pass.

okc1

Oklahoma soundly defeated a gas tax hike in 2005.  My guess is that if voters think tax money is being wasted elsewhere, they will not vote for new taxes.

http://newsok.com/elections-record-87-defeat-for-hike-br-gas-tax-crashes/article/2911716
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Wayward Memphian

Someone answer me this cause I really an a bit ignorant on the whole US 67 thing. Is there going to be some kind of 4 lane interstate quality connector to Jonesboro off of it. I would have thought US 63/Future I 555 made perfect sense but they just widened it.  Lots of things this State does makes no sense like how us 412 connects with us 65 north of Harrison. There's no ramp 5 go north, you have to stop and cross south bound traffic. It's just stupid stupid stupid. I'm still wondering why they didn't build a four lane divided bypass around Siloam instead of what they did in town.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 01, 2014, 11:11:30 AM
I'm still wondering why they didn't build a four lane divided bypass around Siloam instead of what they did in town.

Money. It was cheaper to go through town, most likely.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

HandsomeRob

Someone answer me this cause I really an a bit ignorant on the whole US 67 thing. Is there going to be some kind of 4 lane interstate quality connector to Jonesboro off of it.
I believe that highway 226 is being converted to a divided four-lane expressway between US 67 and Jonesboro.

Wayward Memphian

Will that have an exchange with US 63 to tie the 4 lane divideds together?

US 41

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 01, 2014, 09:48:39 AM
It's amazing to me just how giant a struggle it is for states and even the federal government to build new highways or upgrade existing ones today. Much of the Interstate highway system was built for far less money, even adjusting the dollars for inflation. I can't help but wonder just what the hell has been going on during the last 10-20 years to make something like a highway project so costly anymore.

I'm sorry if that sounds like ignorance, but there is some really steep cost inflation taking place in these projects. Steel and concrete prices have shot up quite a lot during the last 15 years, due in large part to globalization and "nation building" elsewhere. But I don't think steel and concrete prices alone account for some of these giant sized price hikes.

On a fundamental level, if the United States had only started to build the Interstate highway system at today's prices there's absolutely no hope it would ever get built.

As to the "raising taxes" thing, our way of life in this country is not free. Infrastructure costs money (roads, water lines, sewage lines, reservoirs, treatment plants, landfills, power stations, etc., etc.). Too many Americans take that stuff for granted, almost as if somebody is waving a magic wand and it appears out of nowhere for free. A big reason why the third world undercuts this country in terms of labor prices and many other things is they don't have an infrastructure like ours to maintain. A lot of Americans have never been outside this country to see just how it is in other places.

I'm not sure how it is in other states, but here in Oklahoma the gas tax has been pretty much the same for the 20 years I've lived here. It's pretty easy to tell that tax ain't coming close to covering the building cost for new roads, much less the maintenance on existing ones. I have a strong feeling if the taxes aren't hiked at the pump they're going to be hiked elsewhere. We may end up with RFID tags on all our windshields and getting them popped for toll money at every street corner we pass.

The problem is that the government now days spends so much money on stupid things. When the interstates were first built they were built wherever the engineers wanted. There weren't any environmental studies or moving the route. If it was coming, it was coming. People also didn't get paid as much money working on the highways. Most governments in the US (including the US Federal Gov.) are in so much debt that they can't afford to invest in better infrastructure. Most of our debt issues is the politicians trying to buy votes. No one seems to care about our money spending problems in the US. I don't think our situation will get better either. Not to go on a political rampage, but our government cannot just keep printing more and more money. It is causing rapid inflation. In 2000 the dollar was worth more than the Euro. Now 1 dollar will get you 75 cents of Euros. We're heading don a dangerous path. China is catching up to us fast. Now many of the Chinese have cars. This has caused an increase in gas prices. China now has some of the tallest buildings in the world. Their tallest is taller than our tallest. China has also invested money into building freeways. China's downfall may be their spending problems (5 trillion in debt). It's not just us, governments around the world need to spend their money wiser. We by far have the worst spending problem though.  And what improvements have been made with all the money we've spent the last 7 years?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 01, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

The price of a barrell of oil is what is raising prices on everything.

bjrush

Quote from: US71 on July 01, 2014, 11:49:52 AM
I'm still wondering why they didn't build a four lane divided bypass around Siloam instead of what they did in town.

Money. It was cheaper to go through town, most likely.

I dont know about the economics, but the city chose that alternative so their town was not bypassed
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 01, 2014, 02:08:04 PM

State Highway 226 is being built as a connector but it is NOT a controlled access facility.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: AHTD on July 01, 2014, 06:21:13 PM

State Highway 226 is being built as a connector but it is NOT a controlled access facility.

so US 67 has been built as controlled access to this point and US 63 has been upgraded to controlled access over the years and yet the connector to the two will not. Yep, same outfit that forgot a northbound connector to the Fayetteville bypass from 71B that is just now is being corrected.

bugo

Someone answer me this cause I really an a bit ignorant on the whole US 67 thing. Is there going to be some kind of 4 lane interstate quality connector to Jonesboro off of it. I would have thought US 63/Future I 555 made perfect sense but they just widened it.  Lots of things this State does makes no sense like how us 412 connects with us 65 north of Harrison. There's no ramp 5 go north, you have to stop and cross south bound traffic. It's just stupid stupid stupid. I'm still wondering why they didn't build a four lane divided bypass around Siloam instead of what they did in town.

The US 70/70B/Future AR 7 interchange at the east end of the Hot Springs bypass is the same way.  To go from EB US 70 to WB US 70B, you must come to a stop and make a left turn.  Other than this ramp, both roads are full freeways.  I wonder how many fatalities are going to occur here before the state builds a proper ramp?

They didn't build a proper Siloam Springs/West Siloam Springs bypass because of 1) the notorious cheapness of Arkanasas and 2) the businesses in Siloam Springs complained the loss of business that a bypass would cause.  I imagine in 30 years or so a proper bypass will be constructed.

bugo

I'm sure there won't be.  226 will tie into 49 southwest of Jonesboro.  I doubt there will even be an interchange with 49.

bjrush

Quote from: bugo on July 01, 2014, 09:06:06 PM

The US 70/70B/Future AR 7 interchange at the east end of the Hot Springs bypass is the same way.  To go from EB US 70 to WB US 70B, you must come to a stop and make a left turn.  Other than this ramp, both roads are full freeways.  I wonder how many fatalities are going to occur here before the state builds a proper ramp?

They didn't build a proper Siloam Springs/West Siloam Springs bypass because of 1) the notorious cheapness of Arkanasas and 2) the businesses in Siloam Springs complained the loss of business that a bypass would cause.  I imagine in 30 years or so a proper bypass will be constructed.

AHTD is supposed to serve the public. If the public didn't want a bypass and there was a sound engineering alternative, it is their duty to build such a facility
Woo Pig Sooie

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: bjrush on July 01, 2014, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on July 01, 2014, 09:06:06 PM

AHTD is supposed to serve the public. If the public didn't want a bypass and there was a sound engineering alternative, it is their duty to build such a facility
Nearly everyone in NWA wants a complete 4 lane divided to reach Tulsa, it's all there  except for Siloam when the Springdale bypass is built. They make that three lanes and no turn lane which means many folks uturning at lights and we still have West Siloam as a speed trap.

A bypass would have been near the new business area of Siloam, no one going through there cares about what else is in town unless they are going there to begin with. And when did businesses in town decide that issue, cause I can list all kinds of towns that the state didn't listen to. Have we learned nothing from the Harrison bypass years ago :banghead:

Oh these businesses:

The Highway 412 lane expansion project from Washington Avenue to State Line Road in Siloam Springs expanded the road from four to six lanes. But now there is a median that some say is preventing drivers from turning left directly into businesses.

City officials and business owners say the median prevents drivers from having direct access to businesses on the opposite side so, drivers have to make a U-turn to get where they need to go.

"There are approximately 117 businesses in that area that are affected immediately by this median,"  said Holland Hayden, City of Siloam Springs Director of Communications.

Some businesses say they're seeing fewer customers because getting there isn't convenient for drivers.

"Usually people can turn in this way but they can`t turn in that way because they have to go all the way to the stoplight and turn around so it`s hard for business,"  said A.J Yoeum, Shipley Donuts.

bjrush

Traffic u-turning to get to your business is better than traffic having to exit and go 3 miles down city streets to your business

AHTD has public input meetings. If people don't go and make their voice heard, what else can they do?
Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.