News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities with no "through" Interstates

Started by jander, December 21, 2013, 02:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

New Brunswick, New Jersey:

The New Jersey Turnpike appears to not enter the city limits at all.

Hoboken, New Jersey:

I-78 is way outside the city limits here.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Kacie Jane

Quote from: empirestate on December 28, 2013, 02:11:50 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 27, 2013, 05:37:03 PM
Amtrak *does* cut through Marble Hill, so technically, it's Bronx-Manhattan-Bronx-Manhattan-Queens-Manhattan.

No, that's the Metro North Hudson line that does that; Amtrak service from the Hudson valley takes the Empire connection at Spuyten Duyvil (site of the recent Metro North derailment) straight south into Manhattan.

Amtrak service from New England does what Kevin described, via the Hell Gate Bridge and East River tubes to Penn Station, then the Hudson River tubes into NJ.

My bad, I had my wires crossed and for some reason recalled incorrectly that all northbound service headed east out of Penn.  (I know it's off topic, but is there a connection that would allow trains to travel as I described?)

NE2

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 28, 2013, 11:47:36 AM
(I know it's off topic, but is there a connection that would allow trains to travel as I described?)
Only if you reverse direction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Point_Link
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on December 28, 2013, 11:19:17 AM

Hoboken, New Jersey:

Zeffy, neither one of these maps shows municipal boundaries at all.  From my experience here in the Midwest, a lot of municipalities tend to have strange twists and turns to them.  It's better to use their boundary maps and zoning maps instead of Google.

New Brunswick, NJ zoning map: http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/planninganddevelopment/files/Zoning-Map-20113.pdf

I-95 does in fact enter the city limits of New Brunswick.  Look at the far right of the map.

Hoboken, NJ zoning map: http://www.hobokennj.org/docs/communitydev/Zoning-Map.pdf

I-78 does not enter the city limits (north is to the right).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

Yep, I forgot that if you type in the location name in Google, the boundaries of the location are outlined. I should've used that, because I-95/NJTP definitely passes into New Brunswick's city limits. Hoboken remains the same, however.

Adding one to the list, Union City (if you don't count NJ 495 as an Interstate...) doesn't contain any through Interstates.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on December 21, 2013, 09:43:52 PM
Boston did not have any "through" Interstates until I-95 was moved to MA 128 and I-93 extended.
That change also denied the City of Lynn of ever getting a through-Interstate (95) built.  Although the originally-planned I-95 would not have gone through Downtown Lynn; the aborted-corridor (which was to be situated near/along the eastern edge of the Lynn Woods Reservation) was definitely in Lynn's city limits.

The nearby City of Salem also has no through Interstates.  Although two aborted connectors (Vinnin Square & Downtown Salem) would've technically run through Salem's borders but essentially terminate just outside said-borders.  These connectors were, at one time, planned as "Business Spurs" from I-95 but no known number was offically proposed/assigned.  One segment of the aborted Downtown Salem Connector was recently built (opened a few years ago) as a downsized 2-lane arterial bypass (Bridge St. Bypass/Relocated MA 107) linking the new Salem-Beverly Bridge (MA 1A).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Johnstown, PA has no through interstates.  Nearby Altoona used to have none, but thanks to ole Buddy it now does.

Then Lancaster, PA has none, although connected to the interstate system via two freeways: PA 283 and US 222 it still has none to or through.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 22, 2013, 12:29:46 PM
Buffalo, NY is really only served directly by a 3di (I-190), as is Rochester (I-390 and I-490).  Also, Portland, ME is only served directly by I-295, as I-95/Maine Turnpike bypasses the city. 
I-95 is actually completely within the city of Portland between Exit 46 (South Portland city line) to Exit 52 (Falmouth town line).
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bing101

You mean Bakersfield, Fresno? they rely on CA-99. There are no interstates in the area.

dgolub

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2013, 07:25:33 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 28, 2013, 11:19:17 AM

Hoboken, New Jersey:

Zeffy, neither one of these maps shows municipal boundaries at all.  From my experience here in the Midwest, a lot of municipalities tend to have strange twists and turns to them.  It's better to use their boundary maps and zoning maps instead of Google.

New Brunswick, NJ zoning map: http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/planninganddevelopment/files/Zoning-Map-20113.pdf

I-95 does in fact enter the city limits of New Brunswick.  Look at the far right of the map.

Hoboken, NJ zoning map: http://www.hobokennj.org/docs/communitydev/Zoning-Map.pdf

I-78 does not enter the city limits (north is to the right).

Well, if we're including small cities, then Glen Cove and Long Beach on Long Island have no interstate in them at all.  In fact, Long Beach doesn't even have any state routes in it.  Up in the Hudson Valley, Peekskill and Poughkeepsie have no interstates within their boundaries, although they're both served by US routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.