News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road signs you will never see on the road

Started by hotdogPi, December 24, 2013, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

theline

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2013, 10:41:32 AM
Do not stop on signal detector loops to pick up passengers.

Make that "Do not park on signal detector loops."

On my way home from work at 1:30 AM, I pass a traffic signal for a narrow side street. Occasionally, somebody has parked overnight on the loop, and I'm forced to stop for the maximum length of the cycle, until the signal determines that that guy isn't going to move.  :banghead:

Scott5114

Quote from: sammi on December 25, 2013, 07:51:37 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on December 25, 2013, 07:43:15 PM

On the second-rightmost one in white, how would you actually sign it if, for example, a streetcar platform was in between the two lanes?

The standard sign for this situation is the W12-1:

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2013, 10:15:42 PM

Which doesn't provide as much information. I'd interpret the up-arrow version to mean that both sides go to the same place.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 25, 2013, 08:04:00 PM
Speaking of the "sponsored" signs, the Illinois Tollway Authority has been putting up new blue with red signs that say something like:
"Roadside Assitance Dial *999 (I-xx) brought to you by State Farm Insurance".
This is not uncommon in most states with roadside assistance programs and privatized 511 systems.  Sadly, the FHWA actually condones this practice of permitting shameless corporate advertising on certain road signs - see the 2009 MUTCD, Section 2H.08.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PurdueBill

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2013, 10:15:42 PM

The dual downward arrow one is usually for the gore point itself.  The W3-9a "Center Lane Closed Ahead (symbol)" sign is more of an advance that is similar in concept to the combo keep right/keep left symbol above but for a temporary situation.  I've seen it in several locations in Ohio.

jeffandnicole

Speaking of road signs you'll never see on the road...how about those "Road Work 1.6 km" signs?

Seriously...even if they switched to metric, you'd see 2 km or 1 1/2 km.

PurdueBill

The figure is from the 2003 Manual because evidently along with metric distances, so went out the symbol sign for the Center Lane Closed--but it's out there in the wild and very common in at least certain parts of Ohio.  Once it's out there, it's out there!  (I didn't check the Ohio MUTCD for it yet but I suppose the symbol could persist there while not in the national Manual.)

TEG24601

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2013, 10:03:39 PM
Right lane must turn left

In Holland, MI there used to be an intersection where the left turn was from the right lane, and it didn't involve a Michigan Left.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

Indyroads

And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

elsmere241

1995hoo

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 25, 2013, 07:57:21 PM
The No Outlet sign is quite common in Illinois.
As to your other question, I guess it could be some kind of a street car that split a one way street. Let me think about that one.

"No Outlet" signs are reasonably common here to indicate that the road you're using is the only way back out of the area you're entering. It's distinct from "Dead End" because the road need not be a dead end for there to be no outlet–for example, my neighborhood has a "No Outlet" sign, but there are at least 10 streets intersecting that road after you pass that sign (and a few of those connect to other streets that don't intersect the one leading in and out). But the key is that none of them connect back to the "grid" ("grid" isn't really a very accurate term here, I suppose, since to me it implies a more orderly street layout, but I don't have a better word to use).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Buck87

something like this at any place where the speed limit drops at a state border or municipality limit:

Welcome to Oregon!
Now slow the fuck down

doorknob60

Doctor Whom

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2013, 10:03:39 PMRight lane must turn left
We don't need any such sign because it's implicit.  [/tourist in DC]

sammi

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mr. Matté

Ga293

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

vtk

Speed Limit 45
Trucks 80

(I was going to use the Ohio wording for the truck speed limit but can't remember it...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

BamaZeus

Quote from: Ga293 on December 31, 2013, 08:26:07 AM

I think the JUMP sign should have a picture of the General Lee or Evel Kneivel making the jump.  If it's the General Lee, Rosco's patrol car should be crashed into the first bus.

Ga293

Quote from: BamaZeus on December 31, 2013, 01:39:59 PM
I think the JUMP sign should have a picture of the General Lee or Evel Kneivel making the jump.  If it's the General Lee, Rosco's patrol car should be crashed into the first bus.

I started to use the motorcyclist from the grooved pavement sign, but I felt the truck had been stuck on a steep downgrade so long, it deserved a bit of freedom.

Brian556

QuoteUse your turnsignals

Copper Canyon, TX. Temporarily posted by a contractor on the detour route for a closed road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.