Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlynch91

Quite frankly, it'd be much more lucrative to charge a fee to leave the state.

I-39

There is now a place where you can email comments regarding the Central Tri-State rebuild.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/outreach/projects-in-your-community#Central%20Tri-State%20Tollway%20(I-294)

Good news is it looks like they just might address the I-290 situation (but who knows how long that will last).

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on April 13, 2017, 06:54:02 PM
There is now a place where you can email comments regarding the Central Tri-State rebuild.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/outreach/projects-in-your-community#Central%20Tri-State%20Tollway%20(I-294)

Good news is it looks like they just might address the I-290 situation (but who knows how long that will last).

Why is it 10 laned to only Balmoral? Needs to be 10 laned all the way to 90.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: johndoe780 on April 13, 2017, 07:41:55 PM

Essentially, Balmoral is the beginning of the I-90 interchange. If you look at the map, it basically shows it this way. I imagine the additional lanes would become "Exit only" at I-90.

Very glad that a redesign is in the works for the I-290 interchange. That is such a mess right now! I wouldn't underestimate the impact of improving the I-55 interchange as well, if done right.

ET21

Balmoral is the beginning, as the lead up northbound is 6 lanes while southbound has 6 lanes from Touhy to the interchange. All they'll really do is probably even out the configurations for a smoother transition.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 13, 2017, 09:37:18 PM

they need to get rid of that very temp 4th lane drop it's just painted that way but it's not a shoulder it's built as a full lane.

Essentially, Balmoral is the beginning of the I-90 interchange. If you look at the map, it basically shows it this way. I imagine the additional lanes would become "Exit only" at I-90.

Very glad that a redesign is in the works for the I-290 interchange. That is such a mess right now! I wouldn't underestimate the impact of improving the I-55 interchange as well, if done right.

pianocello

Quote from: inkyatari on April 13, 2017, 09:01:22 AM
With the state of roads and things in Illinois in general, they should just start charging a $5 entrance fee to the state.

Well, that's essentially what the Skyway does...
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

dzlsabe

Quote from: pianocello on April 14, 2017, 09:45:16 AM
With the state of roads and things in Illinois in general, they should just start charging a $5 entrance fee to the state.

Good part of the reason the areas adjacent to the Skyway are the way they are? Just one entrance and exit north of the toll could/would work wonders.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 14, 2017, 10:15:35 AM

Good part of the reason the areas adjacent to the Skyway are the way they are? Just one entrance and exit north of the toll could/would work wonders.

So you think providing more access from rougher neighborhoods to freeways increases the quality of those neighborhoods?  My anecdotal experience doesn't lead me to believe that is the case.

dzlsabe

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 14, 2017, 11:19:40 AM

So you think providing more access from rougher neighborhoods to freeways increases the quality of those neighborhoods?  My anecdotal experience doesn't lead me to believe that is the case.

AH, yes? "More access" sure beats ZERO.

What "SEWI anecdotal experience" could possibly have anything to do with "rougher neighborhoods" adjacent to the Skyway?
Careful, I think your barn door is open.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 16, 2017, 07:27:15 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 14, 2017, 11:19:40 AM

AH, yes? "More access" sure beats ZERO.

What "SEWI anecdotal experience" could possibly have anything to do with "rougher neighborhoods" adjacent to the Skyway?
Careful, I think your barn door is open.

I travel extensively to major cities for my job.  I find that there are plenty of "rougher neighborhoods" located just off of freeways with plenty of access.

dzlsabe

And I am sure you are absolutely correct. There are plenty with plenty. Just not this one and does not change the fact that the Skyway has NO entrances if one would be going west (north?) north of the bridge (the only one being at the state line). So this is an eight mile stretch through heavy industrial/river access to residential with essentially one EB exit after a $4 minimum toll. Yes, I realize there is a WB exit and EB enter at Stony Island, but that is of little help.

Which I guess just begs the question...Should an EB exit and WB entrance be built at 87th and S Anthony?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7366166,-87.5672208,720m/data=!3m1!1e3

hobsini2

People that live in the area of the Skyway use either Shore Shore Dr to Lake Shore Dr or they use 95th, 87th, 79th or 67th to the Dan Ryan. Not every interchange needs to be a full interchange. Plus there is the issue of the toll booth which is why the exits are designed in that way. For a WB on/EB off, you would need booths on the ramps. If one was going to be a logical full interchange, it would be 79th.

Of course if the Stony Island Expy was built to Lake Shore Dr instead of just dying on as a neighborhood boulevard, you wouldn't need much at all from the Skyway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dzlsabe

Who said anything about toll booths? Oh You. 87th would be completely illogical, youre right again.

kphoger

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 17, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
Who said anything about toll booths? Oh You.

And you.

Just one entrance and exit north of the toll could/would work wonders.
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 16, 2017, 12:32:52 PM
So this is an eight mile stretch through heavy industrial/river access to residential with essentially one EB exit after a $4 minimum toll.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dzlsabe

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2017, 01:41:20 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 17, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
Who said anything about toll booths? Oh You.

And you.

Just one entrance and exit north of the toll could/would work wonders.
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 16, 2017, 12:32:52 PM
So this is an eight mile stretch through heavy industrial/river access to residential with essentially one EB exit after a $4 minimum toll.

That is correct.

And I said an exit EB and entrance WB at 87th. Nothing about tolls on those two. Reading (and comprehension) is fundamental. Just a minor payback for this road that very few in adjacent communities use, and Skyway contributes minimal business/jobs to the area.  They even tore down the McDs that was between the booths and the bridge. Tear up the 93rd St exit after the toll but before the bridge AFAIC.

johndoe780

I disagree. Close as many highway exits as you can. Just take a look at the Ike. idoits who get onto the highway and get off the next exit. Austin ave and harlem need to be shut down

inkyatari

I mean at every border state border crossing.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

dzlsabe

Quote from: johndoe780 on April 18, 2017, 08:54:02 AM
I disagree. Close as many highway exits as you can. Just take a look at the Ike. idoits who get onto the highway and get off the next exit. Austin ave and harlem need to be shut down

Skyway and Ike are not at all comparable, are they? They got six lanes of concrete? They re both in Chicago? They are really complete opposites. Ike has "idoits" able to get on and then off at the next exit. Skyway? Not so much. Hillarryous.

BTW, how is that DFing Ike project going? Sorry....cant....resist..... :rofl:

dcharlie

Please don't feed the troll!

ET21

Quote from: dcharlie on April 19, 2017, 08:28:23 AM
Please don't feed the troll!

May as well start up an Illinois Tollway Notes 2.0 knowing how these convos go
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

For those just tuning in...

d:  Add more local access to the Skyway.
j:  No, don't do that, because then it will be more like the Eisenhower with all its local access and traffic.
d:  But the Eisenhower is not like the Skyway, because the Eisenhower has lots of local access and the Skyway does not.
j:  That's my point.
d:  Hillarryous.  :rofl:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

slorydn1

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2017, 01:26:24 PM
For those just tuning in...

d:  Add more local access to the Skyway.
j:  No, don't do that, because then it will be more like the Eisenhower with all its local access and traffic.
d:  But the Eisenhower is not like the Skyway, because the Eisenhower has lots of local access and the Skyway does not.
j:  That's my point.
d:  Hillarryous.  :rofl:

Thanks for the summary, I needed that this morning!  :thumbsup:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

dzlsabe

Add more ANY local access to the Skyway. KPs view is through welding googles apparently. Talk about "wormholes". Cant really find any comparable roads to this.

This 8 mile tolled way goes from the IN border to the Ryan Xway with exactly ONE EB exit after a toll and an EB entrance and WB exit at Stony Island and State St. So pretty much you get on this thing and you dont get off till it ends.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 21, 2017, 11:55:51 AM
Add more ANY local access to the Skyway. KPs view is through welding googles apparently. Talk about "wormholes". This 8 mile tolled way goes from the IN border to the Ryan Xway with exactly ONE EB exit after a toll and an EB entrance and WB exit at Stony Island and State St. So pretty much you get on this thing and you dont get off till it ends.

What started this is your assertion that adding exits to the Skyway would improve the neighborhoods around the Skyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.