News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 01, 2014, 07:56:30 PM
I attended the Friday night dinner as well as Day 1 of the meet. Wow... I was impressed. Steve did a great job of organizing the meet and making sure everyone had all the information they needed. I liked how Steve made sure everyone was organized in vehicles according to whether or not they were going to the ballgame. It was also very smart to not have the cars following each other but instead meet up at each stop. We kept moving throughout the tour and Steve kept us on a pretty realistic time schedule.

I was navigating in Oscar's car and found the detailed written directions to be very clear for the most part. I definitely had to pay close attention to the directions, but it all worked out well. (Even though he didn't have any maps in the directions, it worked okay for me because I was using my atlas to get an idea of the bigger picture of where we were and where we were headed.) I also love how we had no traffic problems at all! I got lots of great photos from the front passenger seat too. Plus the weather was PERFECT the entire time. :D

Great job, Steve! It was good to see everyone. This meet will go down in my personal history as one of the best meets I've ever attended.

Fortunately, we didn't encounter too much heavy traffic, except approaching the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge (this may have been expected).  A bad traffic jam or two could have put us all in a tight spot as far as how long the tour would take.

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on July 02, 2014, 07:29:01 PM

Fortunately, we didn't encounter too much heavy traffic, except approaching the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge (this may have been expected).  A bad traffic jam or two could have put us all in a tight spot as far as how long the tour would take.
I was a little concerned there, but it fortunately cleared up in short order. There was also a spot of traffic along 139 on Sunday, but we had no time constraint there.

empirestate

The approach from Queens to the Whitestone has been chronically backed up lately, due to construction. Surprisingly, the Triboro to the Deegan has been working out better, possibly because much progress has been made on the Highbridge Interchange ramps, despite the fact that the GWB itself is still subject to multiple lane drops.

dgolub

Quote from: Dougtone on July 02, 2014, 07:29:01 PM

Unless, of course, you're me and decided to take the Throgs Neck instead, only to discover that the traffic on the Cross Island was even worse and the route that I thought would take us onto the bridge coming from the west didn't work.  We lost half an hour on that goof and wound up turning around and taking the Whitestone anyway.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Ian on July 02, 2014, 12:36:38 AM
Also would like to say how awesome Steve did with this meet. I had a blast! Here is my Flickr album of day 1 of the meet, with day 2 captions currently in the works. Hopefully will be uploaded in the next few days.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/sets/72157645058860298/

Nice photo!

Ian

Also would like to say how awesome Steve did with this meet. I had a blast! Here is my Flickr album of day 1 of the meet, with day 2 captions currently in the works. Hopefully will be uploaded in the next few days.

...aaaaand here's day 2's photo album. Included are photos of a quick trip out to Long Island me and corco did the morning before the day 2 tour.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/sets/72157645175149559/

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Here are some of the belated group photos from my camera, one from day 1 and three from day2 (the third a re-crop of the second deleting the Bayonne Bridge in the background, which didn't come out clearly in any of my photos). The second and third day 2 photos came out clearer, in addition to Steve's more interesting pose.

I'm not sure these improve on other photos floating out there, but you decide.

Top row: A.J. Bertin (MI), Steve Alpert (NJ - host), Robert Malme (MA), Doug Kerr (NY), Mike Tantillo (DC)
Second row: Oscar Voss (VA), Jason Ilyes (TN), Rob Sargent (NJ/WV), Cody Goodman (AL), Adam Winkler (NJ), Scott Onson (WI), Anthony Costanzo (NY), Carl Tessier (QC), Mike Pruett (MD), Connor Lauzon (MA), Laura Bianca-Pruett (MD), C. Patrick Zilliacus (MD), David Golub (NY)
Front row: Adam Moss (NJ), Ian Ligget (PA/ME), David Corcoran (MT)

Standing: Oscar Voss, C. Patrick Zilliacus, Anthony Costanzo, Adam Winkler, Mike Tantillo, Robert Malme, Carl Tessier, Steve Alpert, Connor Lauzon, Ian Ligget, Mike Pruett, Michael Temme-Soifer (NJ), Scott Onson, Keith Thomas (NJ), Leigh Koven (PA), David Golub, C.C.'s girlfriend (NY?), Dan Murphy (NY)
Kneeling: Rob Sargent, Laura Bianca-Pruett, Jason Ilyes, David Corcoran, C.C. Slater (NY), Adam Moss

Standing: C. Patrick Zilliacus, Anthony Costanzo, Adam Winkler, Mike Tantillo, Robert Malme, Carl Tessier, Connor Lauzon, Ian Ligget, Mike Pruett, David Corcoran, Michael Temme-Soifer, Keith Thomas, Leigh Koven, C.C.'s girlfriend, David Golub, Dan Murphy, Oscar Voss
Kneeling: Adam Moss, Rob Sargent, Laura Bianca-Pruett, Jason Ilyes, Scott Onson, C.C. Slater
Lying down on the job: Steve Alpert
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dgolub

Quote from: Ian on July 08, 2014, 09:57:18 PM

Nice photos!  Mine will be coming soon.

dgolub

All right, I've started uploading my pictures to my site at http://www.greaternyroads.info.  So far, CR 514 and NJ 440/NY 440 are up.  The Korean War Veterans Parkway will get uploaded this evening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.