Any meets on the drawing board?

Started by hbelkins, October 12, 2009, 12:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Just wondering if there are any other meets being contemplated for the near future besides Fort-to-Port, Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Dallas-Ft. Worth. Trying to do some scheduling for December and January...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DanTheMan414

I am tentatively planning another Detroit area meet sometime around mid- to late-December, continuing what has been somewhat of a tradition every year (except one) since 2002 to have a roads meet around the holidays somewhere in the Southeast Michigan vicinity.  This would feature the new Gateway interchange (I-75/I-96/Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, ON), which should have all of its ramps opened up by then.  More details in the coming weeks.

mightyace

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on October 12, 2009, 12:44:23 PM
This would feature the new Gateway interchange (I-75/I-96/Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, ON), which should have all of its ramps opened up by then.

So, the state and the Ambassador Bridge people have resolved their feud?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

getemngo

There's talk of a Milwaukee or Green Bay meet in February, but I don't believe anything has been finalized.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2009, 12:13:43 PM
Just wondering if there are any other meets being contemplated for the near future besides Fort-to-Port, Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Dallas-Ft. Worth. Trying to do some scheduling for December and January...
Not an official meet, but a number of us will be at WV Bridge Day this coming Saturday (New River Gorge Bridge, US 19).  February 12-20 or so I will be heading through the Southeast, so it would be a ripe time for a meet somewhere in AL, MS, LA, AR, or OK.

SSOWorld

There's nothing official on either Milwaukee or Green Bay as far as I know.  There is a Twin Cities meet in the plan (nothing official there either)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DanTheMan414

Quote from: Master son on October 12, 2009, 11:33:57 PM
There's nothing official on either Milwaukee or Green Bay as far as I know.  There is a Twin Cities meet in the plan (nothing official there either)

Chris Lokken has talked about organizing something for one or the other...although I'd recommend waiting till at least spring to do so.   ;-)  Twin Cities would be either next late spring or early summer, most likely.

hbelkins

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on October 12, 2009, 11:56:15 PM

Chris Lokken has talked about organizing something for one or the other...although I'd recommend waiting till at least spring to do so.   ;-)  Twin Cities would be either next late spring or early summer, most likely.

I was thinking more short-term, like December or January. I'm probably out for the Detroit meet, although one never knows. I'd probably go to a SW Pennsylvania meet if there is one, and may make a trip to DFW if Gene Van holds one around New Year's.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2009, 08:44:09 AMI'd probably go to a SW Pennsylvania meet if there is one

It wouldn't be until the Spring when WVDOT begins work on the I-68/WV 43 interchange.

hbelkins

Quote from: PAHighways on October 13, 2009, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2009, 08:44:09 AMI'd probably go to a SW Pennsylvania meet if there is one

It wouldn't be until the Spring when WVDOT begins work on the I-68/WV 43 interchange.

Then that wouldn't be a SWPA meet at all. It'd be a NoWV meet.  :-P

I'd use this meet as an excuse to get to drive the old National Road (US 40) west from Cumberland and see some of the old bridges along it. My dad always wanted to drive that route and see them. Since he's no longer able to travel, I could at least take pictures and shoot video for him for a virtual ride-along.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2009, 10:05:02 PMThen that wouldn't be a SWPA meet at all. It'd be a NoWV meet.  :-P

It'd be sided more "swepah" than "nowvee," besides it's easier to combine everything into one meet than do a meet and do another six months later.

Ian

I'd like to see a meet in the Philadelphia area already!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 14, 2009, 05:43:45 PMI'd like to see a meet in the Philadelphia area already!

I am planning on doing one there in 2010. 

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on October 14, 2009, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 14, 2009, 05:43:45 PMI'd like to see a meet in the Philadelphia area already!

What might be on the agenda?  The I-95/PA Turnpike interchange construction perhaps?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

CanesFan27

PennDotFan,

Why don't you put one together for Philly...after all you are closer to the area than Jeff is

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on October 14, 2009, 09:24:01 PM

What might be on the agenda?  The I-95/PA Turnpike interchange construction perhaps?

That, the Fort Washington rehabilitation, and a possible tour of the Philadelphia Traffic Control Center.

hbelkins

Excellent. That's my opportunity/reason/excuse to clinch Maryland and New Jersey and ride the Cape May ferry. (Plus probably visit more of Philadelphia County besides turning around at PA 309 and Cheltenham like I did recently to technically enter the county.  :spin: )

Ian

Quote from: PAHighways on October 14, 2009, 10:49:04 PM
Quote from: mightyace on October 14, 2009, 09:24:01 PM

That, the Fort Washington rehabilitation, and a possible tour of the Philadelphia Traffic Control Center.

I'm there!!!
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 14, 2009, 10:45:06 PM
PennDotFan,

Why don't you put one together for Philly...after all you are closer to the area than Jeff is

Setting up a meet isn't rocket science. It takes a little work but it's not back-breaking. Find some construction projects or historical infrastructure to tour, locate a nearby restaurant that would be appropriate, pick a date, and announce it. Adam's done many meets, Jeff's done a lot of them, I've done a handful. If you'd like to see a meet in an area that you're near or are very familiar with, then put one together!

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2009, 04:18:26 PM
PennDotFan,

Setting up a meet isn't rocket science. It takes a little work but it's not back-breaking. Find some construction projects or historical infrastructure to tour, locate a nearby restaurant that would be appropriate, pick a date, and announce it. Adam's done many meets, Jeff's done a lot of them, I've done a handful. If you'd like to see a meet in an area that you're near or are very familiar with, then put one together!

I guess you do have a point. I just wouldn't know how to set up one. I am only 14. I don't even know if there is anyone around who would want to go. Heck, I can't even make a trivia night very well  :banghead:
Youtube l Flickr

rawmustard

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:30:08 PM
I guess you do have a point. I just wouldn't know how to set up one. I am only 14. I don't even know if there is anyone around who would want to go. Heck, I can't even make a trivia night very well  :banghead:

I'll say that it probably is a little easier to set up a meet once you've gotten a little more independence. Obviously at your age, you have quite a few things that are more important than organizing or merely attending meets, so don't worry about whether you'd be able to make them at this point.

hbelkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:30:08 PM

I didn't know you were that young. That, indeed, might prove a bit difficult. Call on Adam Moss for a little advice. He, too, is a young'un and he put together a meet back in the winter that turned out fairly well.

Scott5114

You can make a meet even easier by hitting the major things you want to see then letting the group decide what looks interesting from there. Many things you're used to might end up being unusual to someone from out-of-state. This helped add to the fun of the OKC meet, where we ended up making a totally unplanned jaunt to Wellston to inspect the Wellston toll plaza, and down to Newcastle and Washington for some bridge geeking.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PAHighways

That is how this past State College went since it was a nice, sunny day compared to the first meet in Happy Valley.

Roadgeek Adam

PennDotFan,

PennDOTfan, as HB suggested, if you want my help, surely i can help you if you want. I know my way around Philly well enough and can give advice on how to work it.

Looking at PennDOT's site, there are some big projects under District 6 - which is the Philly area:

I-95 of course
The South Street Bridge Replacement
Improving the I-95/US 322 interchange (If we take this one, and I suggest highly, let's cross the Commodore Barry Bridge into NJ and visit the old ferry site on Route 324 (Route 322's former alignment)

Just a couple of ideas, trying to think of logical ones.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.