News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2013 Ohio Road Meet - Cleveland (Rocks!)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, December 30, 2012, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would most likely attend the Ohio Road Meet if it was held at...

Nelsonville-Athens (New road construction)*
1 (5.9%)
Zanesville (National Road Museum)*
1 (5.9%)
Cleveland (I-90/I-77 interchange reconstruction)
6 (35.3%)
Cincinnati (American Sign Museum)
4 (23.5%)
NW Ohio (Port-to-Fort Expressway)
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 01, 2013, 12:14:58 PM

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 13, 2013, 01:24:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Has May 18 been set in stone? If so, I need to reschedule a doctor's appointment the day prior.
I see you know your priorities :P  :happy:

Actually, what I'd do is reschedule from afternoon to morning, and then drive north after the appointment.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

We still haven't heard any updates on this meet. Is Sandor taking the lead and planning an itinerary for this meet in Cleveland on May 18? Some of us will likely want to start making travel arrangements soon.
-A.J. from Michigan

ruffnerr

That was me, the original host for the Dayton meet, 2012 was crap for family stuff last year, but everything seems to have settled this year, so I hope to make Dubuque and Cleveland.  (well, Cleveland definitely)

hbelkins

Unless you have a schedule conflict, Ashland is probably closer than Cleveland. Just sayin...

CanesFan27

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 26, 2013, 08:56:51 AM
We still haven't heard any updates on this meet. Is Sandor taking the lead and planning an itinerary for this meet in Cleveland on May 18? Some of us will likely want to start making travel arrangements soon.

I think I have found the itinerary for the Cleveland Meet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Hey, at least it's not Detroit.

Dougtone

Does this mean that I will need to prepare a last will and testament before going to East Cleveland?

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on March 09, 2013, 07:59:32 AM
Does this mean that I will need to prepare a last will and testament before going to East Cleveland?
Not if you don't stop there.

CanesFan27

It would "enhance" your visit.

Brandon

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 09, 2013, 12:11:55 PM

It would "enhance" your visit.

Like visiting Gary.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

When I used to work in Cleveland, my job took me into East Cleveland many a time -- sometimes even having to get out of the car and walk a half-block or so to my destination -- and my car I have lived to tell about it.

Actually, the biggest action going on in C-Town right now is the building of the first of two new Innerbelt (I-90) spans over the Cuyahoga River, which will ultimately replace the existing bridge (similar in design as the bridge in Minne/St. Paul that collapsed a few years ago -- and all the temporary signage associated with it surrounding the construction area.

Also of note is the recent completion of the SR-8 conversion to all-freeway from I-271 to SR-303 SE of town.

And if you are fan of roller coasters, then you need to include Cedar Point into your plans somewhere either side of the meet.  That new Gate Keeper ride looks fun!!

vdeane

Any progress on meet-up location/tour?  I should be able to go unless I end up busy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Is there going to be a Cleveland meet on May 18 or has this one fallen through the cracks?

Brandon

If it is to be set up for May 18, the organizer needs to get it going very soon here.  I haven't seen anything on Facebook either regarding this meet.  Otherwise, it may be wiser to wait until a bit later in the summer, such as June or July.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

That's part of the problem; we don't have an organizer as far as I know.  Hot Rod Hootenanny thought he could just declare a meet to be happening and have someone else organize it.
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 02, 2013, 12:18:19 AM
Cleveland it shall be.
Who wants to take the lead on this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

In the past, Dan Garnell has organized Ohio meets in conjunction with others who actually live in Ohio -- Sandor, Richard Ruffner, maybe Marc Fannin. Not sure who's going to take the lead on this one.

A.J. Bertin

When we were at the Ashland meet a couple weeks ago, I overheard some others talking about the Ohio meet. I don't mean to speak out of turn, but it sounds like the person who wants to host it (or was planning to host it) is not sure what his work schedule will be. That's perfectly fine (work obligations obviously come first), but I'm at a loss as to why he's not just being open and up front with us about it.

I overheard the possibility that he may push the meet back to July, but that's just hearsay. Either way, we need some communication or it just comes across as evasiveness.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

June or July works best for me, but I'm iffy regardless.

hbelkins

So I'm guessing there will not be an Ohio meet next weekend?

As I mentioned in another thread on another board, there's probably enough construction and other sights in Cincinnati for a successful meet. I would host it, but I'm not all that familiar with the downtown area and it's not as easy for me to get up there to do a lot of scouting as it was for me to get to the Ashland area.

jpi

A Cincinnati meet would be doable for me.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

JMoses24

Quote from: jpi on May 12, 2013, 09:47:36 AM

It is definitely doable for me, and I am up to hosting this if enough interest exists. (The thread HB mentioned was started by me as an introduction in the Welcome section -- I've been here for months and had not done one until this week).

I am currently free to do this any weekend except 6/28-30 (I am most likely going to a conference in Louisville), 8/16-18 (my birthday and so family will be priority one on these dates), and 9/27-29 (doing a Spina Bifida Walk and Roll on the 28th and may have some publicity on the 27th which will leave me too exhausted to effectively host on the 29th).

Alps

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 12, 2013, 10:21:33 AM
Quote from: jpi on May 12, 2013, 09:47:36 AM

It is definitely doable for me, and I am up to hosting this if enough interest exists. (The thread HB mentioned was started by me as an introduction in the Welcome section -- I've been here for months and had not done one until this week).

I am currently free to do this any weekend except 6/28-30 (I am most likely going to the Brick/Wall meet in NJ)
Good for you ;)

corco

If Cincinnati becomes the Ohio meet, and it happens after August 1st (when I'm planning on getting a new, fuel efficient car), I think this is the meet I'd go to this year- perfect excuse to A) go see family in Columbus and B) clinch US-62 (I have it now from OKC west)

A.J. Bertin

I would LOVE to attend a Cincinnati meet if it works with my schedule. H.B. - if you plan to host it, what are some possible dates you're considering?
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 12, 2013, 09:51:35 PM
I would LOVE to attend a Cincinnati meet if it works with my schedule. H.B. - if you plan to host it, what are some possible dates you're considering?

See the earlier post...HB said he would host it but he is not familiar with the area. I live here, have for 27 years, and know the area well enough. I'm just new to hosting meets.

That being said, I'm certainly up for sharing some responsibility with somebody who has pulled this off before.

Brandon

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 13, 2013, 08:59:15 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 12, 2013, 09:51:35 PM

See the earlier post...HB said he would host it but he is not familiar with the area. I live here, have for 27 years, and know the area well enough. I'm just new to hosting meets.

That being said, I'm certainly up for sharing some responsibility with somebody who has pulled this off before.

Hosting a meet is easier than you might think.  Choose a place to meet, usually a restaurant that most people will like, and is local to the area.  Then choose a few places to go on a tour that can be done within a few hours max.  Places to choose include those with new construction and historical sites that are road and/or infrastructure-based (bridges, locks, dams).  The biggest problem is choosing a non-conflicting date, usually a Saturday with a meeting time usually around 11 am local time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.