News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 24, 2022, 08:12:02 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 24, 2022, 08:06:31 AM
Interesting to see I-190 isn't proposed on here either.

I-190 wasn't built until 1983 due to environmental concerns. Interesting to note also that it was once part of MA 52 as was I-395.

Now I remember for the longest time it was only completed through Worcester and incomplete on maps for a long time.   
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: roadman on February 24, 2022, 12:20:32 PM
Quote from: empirestate on February 24, 2022, 12:43:32 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 23, 2022, 09:34:44 PM
Isn't Marlboro supposed to be Marlborough?

As I recall, the full-length spelling was officialized relatively recently. Before then, it was considered always acceptable to abbreviate "-borough" to "-boro". (See also Pittsburg, PA.)

The "-boro" abbreviation has long been used on highway signs in Massachusetts, with I-90/MassPike being the last holdout prior to the sign replacements of 2018-2019.  It makes sense that a road atlas would also use those abbreviations on their maps.

However, if the municipality wants the name then it's official. In NJ we have a Marlboro, but it's not spelled Marlborough https://www.marlboro-nj.gov/ but B-O-R-O in the official name. So road signs aren't abbreviating it like they do ( or did with) Triborough Bridge in NYC with Triboro.  BTW spell check wouldn't let me use Boro and corrected it to Borough. They are spelling it that way cause it's spelled that way.

Bottom line the incorporation name and spelling as in Massachusetts it's Marlborough https://www.marlborough-ma.gov not spelled in official capacity.  It be like leaving off the double d "˜s in Jane Addams Tollway for Jane Adams.  Her name is Addams not Adams.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

WRT the municipalities in general, doesn't NJ have Boros while PA has Boroughs?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

empirestate

Quote from: yakra on February 28, 2022, 11:49:42 AM
WRT the municipalities in general, doesn't NJ have Boros while PA has Boroughs?

No, they both have "boroughs", although NJ may be more likely to abbreviate the word since they are closer to the New England linguistic practice.

kramie13

Every "borough" in Massachusetts is abbreviated to "boro" on highway signs.  Except for Attleboro, which never had the "ugh" in its name.

empirestate

Quote from: kramie13 on February 28, 2022, 01:14:36 PM
Every "borough" in Massachusetts is abbreviated to "boro" on highway signs.  Except for Attleboro, which never had the "ugh" in its name.

But are there any that, at least "officially", are not to be abbreviated? (And does the cartographer have any particular duty to honor that?)

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder if someone inside MassDOT has figured out how much the Commonwealth saves by not adding the "ugh"  to its signs.

MATraveler128

The only sign in Massachusetts I know of with “ugh” besides the bookleaf town line signs is westbound on the Pike at the Westborough Service Plaza. Unless there’s one somewhere else that I’m missing. Even the paddle signs abbreviate the town names.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 01, 2022, 05:42:27 AM
I wonder if someone inside MassDOT has figured out how much the Commonwealth saves by not adding the "ugh"  to its signs.

For BGS signs on freeways, deleting the 'ugh' reduces the sign width by 2 feet on average (source:  personal experience overseeing sign design).  Using a hypothetical example, a sign that would otherwise be 15 feet by 10 feet (150 square feet) is now 13 feet by 10 feet (130 square feet).  20 square feet times $18.00/square foot (typical bid price for extruded BGS panels) = $360 savings per panel.  Now times that by 6 BGS panels per interchange = $2,160 savings per interchange.  As you see, it adds up pretty quickly.  Although difficult to quantify, there is also a cost savings associated with the support structures - smaller panels equals less loading (dead, wind, ice, and dead-wind-ice combined), which means a simpler design can be used.   Lastly, to my knowledge, there has been no evidence that omitting the 'ugh' on highway signs has resulted in navigational issues for drivers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

empirestate

Quote from: roadman on March 04, 2022, 12:17:35 PM
Lastly, to my knowledge, there has been no evidence that omitting the 'ugh' on highway signs has resulted in navigational issues for drivers.

Ah, so it ranks up there in importance with which way a state's exits are numbered? :pan: <ducks>

roadman

Quote from: empirestate on March 04, 2022, 09:28:54 PM
Lastly, to my knowledge, there has been no evidence that omitting the 'ugh' on highway signs has resulted in navigational issues for drivers.

Ah, so it ranks up there in importance with which way a state's exits are numbered? :pan: <ducks>

:-D :-D   Note that 'Marlboro' and 'Marlborough' are pronounced the same.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on March 06, 2022, 07:10:00 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 04, 2022, 09:28:54 PM

"Mah-bro."  The last three letters aren't the only disregarded ones!

empirestate

Quote from: roadman on March 06, 2022, 07:10:00 PM

Would the same be true of Loughborough and Loboro?

bob7374

Advertised this morning by MassDOT, upcoming sign replacement project on I-84, winning bid to be announced May 3:
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement along a Section of Interstate 84
District: 3 Ad Date: 3/19/2022 Section Response: Const Project Value: $687,691.00
CDs, Plans & Specs Available: No
Federal Aid No.: HSI-0843(001)X Project Number: 609056 Project Type: Signing - Structural
No. of Addendums: 0 Date of Last Addendum: N/A

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bob7374 on March 19, 2022, 10:29:36 AM
Advertised this morning by MassDOT, upcoming sign replacement project on I-84, winning bid to be announced May 3:
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement along a Section of Interstate 84
District: 3 Ad Date: 3/19/2022 Section Response: Const Project Value: $687,691.00
Federal Aid No.: HSI-0843(001)X Project Number: 609056 Project Type: Signing - Structural

If they're smart (and consistent), they'll add exit numbers to the Mass Pike ramps.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 19, 2022, 11:42:36 AM

If they’re smart (and consistent), they’ll add exit numbers to the Mass Pike ramps.

The signs at I-84’s eastern terminus have already been replaced when the Mass Pike went through its sign replacement project. They likely won’t get exit numbers, but they really should.

MoMaRoadDweeb

Thought they had already replaced the signs?

shadyjay

Yes, the signs on I-84 are essentially the current standard (with the full-height exit tabs) and I see nothing wrong with them.  They were among the first signs in the state installed with the current standards, but appear to be in fine shape.  The existing signs feature "pull-throughs", which are becoming more rare as time goes on (except on I-90).... no idea if they will hold strong.  The parking area at the CT/MA state line is signed as a "Picnic Area", which is another relic from the past, as is the "Mass Pike" wording, vs the logo. 

Still, I think the signs could last another 10+ years without issue, but if MassDOT wants to replace them, that's up to them!

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on March 19, 2022, 01:34:04 PM
Yes, the signs on I-84 are essentially the current standard (with the full-height exit tabs) and I see nothing wrong with them.  They were among the first signs in the state installed with the current standards, but appear to be in fine shape.  The existing signs feature "pull-throughs", which are becoming more rare as time goes on (except on I-90).... no idea if they will hold strong.  The parking area at the CT/MA state line is signed as a "Picnic Area", which is another relic from the past, as is the "Mass Pike" wording, vs the logo. 

Still, I think the signs could last another 10+ years without issue, but if MassDOT wants to replace them, that's up to them!

The signs on I-84 were last updated in 2003-2004.  Current MassDOT policy is to replace sign panels about every 18 to 20 years, and replace sign structures about every 36 to 40 years.  Note that the project just advertised for bids is, with a handful of exceptions, for the replacement of panels only.  The existing overhead sign structures and most other ground-mounted posts are being retained.  And, good news for all you "paddle sign" fans.  The new design extruded MA-D1-7 "combined" guide signs with twin steel posts are not being specified for this project.  Rather, new sheet aluminum MA-D1-6/MA-D1-5 assemblies are being mounted to the existing single tubular posts, in the traditional "paddle sign" arrangement.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman on March 20, 2022, 02:42:30 PM
The signs on I-84 were last updated in 2003-2004.  Current MassDOT policy is to replace sign panels about every 18 to 20 years, and replace sign structures about every 36 to 40 years.  Note that the project just advertised for bids is, with a handful of exceptions, for the replacement of panels only.  The existing overhead sign structures and most other ground-mounted posts are being retained.  And, good news for all you "paddle sign" fans.  The new design extruded MA-D1-7 "combined" guide signs with twin steel posts are not being specified for this project.  Rather, new sheet aluminum MA-D1-6/MA-D1-5 assemblies are being mounted to the existing single tubular posts, in the traditional "paddle sign" arrangement.

Hooray!!  I have thought ever since they were introduced that the extruded, larger signs commonly used as paddle sign replacements were too large and kinda unsightly on 2-lane roads and other locations where the paddle signs had served well for so long. 

If only they were consistent with the 20 year thing; there are certainly signs that are much older than that hanging around unreplaced that could use it.  (The one BGS for Lowell Street traffic at US 1, for example--installed in 1993 and still there, and still laid out wrong.  The sign it replaced was about 20 years old when it was replaced by the current sign, but it was laid out correctly.  How come the screwy signs manage to last longer?

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on March 20, 2022, 02:42:30 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on March 19, 2022, 01:34:04 PM

I wonder if the state is already giving up on the new guide signs. Such a shame if so, they're a vast improvement given the stupidity of having one sign have to convey less information for no reason other than apparent tradition.

MATraveler128

I think there are too many overheads on I-84 in Mass. I know that MassDOT has a policy for this, but they should have the Brimfield sign and the eastbound Old Sturbridge Village sign ground mounted. Are there any plans to ground mount some of the guide signs like what they did on I-495?

roadman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 24, 2022, 10:20:28 AM
I think there are too many overheads on I-84 in Mass. I know that MassDOT has a policy for this, but they should have the Brimfield sign and the eastbound Old Sturbridge Village sign ground mounted. Are there any plans to ground mount some of the guide signs like what they did on I-495?

Under the pending I-84 project, the existing overhead Brimfield and Old Sturbridge Village signs will be replaced with new ground-mounted signs.  I personally have never understood why these signs were overhead mounted int he first place.

kramie13

I think there are too many overheads on I-84 in Mass.

There are too many overheads in Massachusetts.  Not sure why the state is obsessed with them.

In my opinion, if the highway is only 2 lanes in each direction, all signs should be ground-mounted.  This used to be the case on Rte. 2 west of Fitchburg, the Mass Pike west of I-84, and even I-495 between Rte. 24 and I-195.  The overheads in these sections of highways ruins the "scenic-ness" of these roads.

Rothman

Quote from: kramie13 on March 24, 2022, 04:14:36 PM
I think there are too many overheads on I-84 in Mass.

There are too many overheads in Massachusetts.  Not sure why the state is obsessed with them.

In my opinion, if the highway is only 2 lanes in each direction, all signs should be ground-mounted.  This used to be the case on Rte. 2 west of Fitchburg, the Mass Pike west of I-84, and even I-495 between Rte. 24 and I-195.  The overheads in these sections of highways ruins the "scenic-ness" of these roads.
From MA 9 north to MA 2, I-91 was ground mounted signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.