News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramie13

The Simarano Drive exit off I-495 and the Commerce Way exit off I-93 have a lot in common.

Both have tall flyover ramps, both were assigned an exit number with a "C" suffix, then with the switch to mile-based exit numbers, they got whole numbered exits.

And even more crazy, the gore exit signs at these exits are wider than necessary!

SectorZ

Quote from: kramie13 on April 19, 2022, 02:20:54 PM
The Simarano Drive exit off I-495 and the Commerce Way exit off I-93 have a lot in common.

Both have tall flyover ramps, both were assigned an exit number with a "C" suffix, then with the switch to mile-based exit numbers, they got whole numbered exits.

And even more crazy, the gore exit signs at these exits are wider than necessary!

Also built very close to the same time. Both opened in 2000 if I believe correctly.

shadyjay

Quote from: SectorZ on April 19, 2022, 04:49:48 PM
Quote from: kramie13 on April 19, 2022, 02:20:54 PM

Also built very close to the same time. Both opened in 2000 if I believe correctly.

Yes, I believe it was around 2000.  I remember when it was under construction in the late 90s.  When the interchange opened, it was signed as "Crane Meadow Road".

ne11931

A few Mass DOT observations I have made --- Number one is Mass DOT seemingly has neglected restriping roads over the past couple of years where in some places it is almost non-existent. I always thought striping was a safety priority.  Secondly I have noticed maintenance of electrical equipment is apparently not performed. I have seen high mast lights just lowered to the ground and left inoperable for years.  RWIS systems overgrown with weeds and seemingly abandoned. On Route 2 in Acton they installed solar powered signs warning of a traffic signal ahead at Piper Rd., again now unmaintained and inactive. Why do they waste money installing this equipment and then neglect it?

DrSmith

Quote from: ne11931 on April 27, 2022, 10:16:48 PM
A few Mass DOT observations I have made --- Number one is Mass DOT seemingly has neglected restriping roads over the past couple of years where in some places it is almost non-existent. I always thought striping was a safety priority.  Secondly I have noticed maintenance of electrical equipment is apparently not performed. I have seen high mast lights just lowered to the ground and left inoperable for years.  RWIS systems overgrown with weeds and seemingly abandoned. On Route 2 in Acton they installed solar powered signs warning of a traffic signal ahead at Piper Rd., again now unmaintained and inactive. Why do they waste money installing this equipment and then neglect it?

As for lines between lanes being faded, I don't think it is a new thing. There are plenty of places where it has been difficult to see the lines during the day. Years back when I heard that self-driving cars were using lane markings I thought to myself good luck with self driving cars in Mass (beyond the temporary vision problems when roads are snow covered).

The other thing to consider is who has jurisdiction for the road. A lot of the state roads are actually town maintained so it is up to the towns to do the maintenance including line painting.

MATraveler128

Some state maintained highways don't even have lines at all. For example, this is MA 114 east in Peabody just after MA 128. Notice how there's heavy traffic and it appears that the lane lines are missing. Given that this is one of the only routes into Salem, tourists from out of state are likely to get confused and block both lanes without realizing it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5368808,-70.9340598,3a,75y,131.38h,66.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swlHOWAhVQIwp3bwON0WFHg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SectorZ

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 29, 2022, 09:41:05 PM
Some state maintained highways don't even have lines at all. For example, this is MA 114 east in Peabody just after MA 128. Notice how there's heavy traffic and it appears that the lane lines are missing. Given that this is one of the only routes into Salem, tourists from out of state are likely to get confused and block both lanes without realizing it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5368808,-70.9340598,3a,75y,131.38h,66.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swlHOWAhVQIwp3bwON0WFHg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I wonder if this is like 3A in Burlington, as in "the locals" assume it's two lanes each side because there is just one giant wide lane. I mean, if I pull out of a side street because someone stopped and waved me out, and I'm hit by someone in the same direction passing by that stopped car, I'm not going to be at fault because there aren't markings for multiple lanes. Legally it's one lane each side. That GSV goes back to 2008 and there isn't even a trace of lane markings on it from then.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on April 30, 2022, 08:18:15 AM

I wonder if this is like 3A in Burlington, as in "the locals" assume it's two lanes each side because there is just one giant wide lane. I mean, if I pull out of a side street because someone stopped and waved me out, and I'm hit by someone in the same direction passing by that stopped car, I'm not going to be at fault because there aren't markings for multiple lanes. Legally it's one lane each side. That GSV goes back to 2008 and there isn't even a trace of lane markings on it from then.
Pfft.  Making two lanes out of one wide one is a proud New England tradition.  See also Northampton, MA and a host of other communities. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2022, 08:35:50 AM

Pfft.  Making two lanes out of one wide one is a proud New England tradition.  See also Northampton, MA and a host of other communities. :D

Does this not happen everywhere?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2022, 08:56:14 AM

Probably, but it's notable in New England because our roads are old and any kind of widening is neither easy or cheap.

SectorZ

It seems to happen much more in Massachusetts. Handling auto claims I never had a single claim outside of Massachusetts involving an accident due to stuff like this, but handled a few in Massachusetts. A LOT of people learn the hard way that no lane markings means no multiple lanes.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on April 30, 2022, 11:34:18 AM

It seems to happen much more in Massachusetts. Handling auto claims I never had a single claim outside of Massachusetts involving an accident due to stuff like this, but handled a few in Massachusetts. A LOT of people learn the hard way that no lane markings means no multiple lanes.
Meh.  Been working fine in western MA since streetcars were dismantled. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PurdueBill

Further east past Buttonwood, there are two lanes marked in each direction (probably by Peabody, as it is east of the State Highway Ends sign) so the no-mans-land between Buttonwood and 128 is nuttier still--it is wide enough for two lanes, not marked as two lanes, often has traffic heavy enough to form two lanes even if not marked....growing up in Peabody, I can get how it just stays that way.  It took long enough for them to start using double yellow lines and stop using single ones on many streets; marking dashed stripes may be too much to ask for.

pderocco

Boy, this brings back memories. When I lived in Watertown in the late 90s, Belmont St between Trapelo Rd and Mt Auburn was a two-lane road that everyone pretended was four lanes. (Except when it snowed, and there was unplowed snow next to the parked cars narrowing the lane.) You can still see that in the early 2000s Google Earth imagery. That, of course, wasn't a state highway. But I also remember that in the 70s and perhaps into the 80s, the five-way intersection on route 37 just south of the Braintree Mall was a free-for-all. West St may have had stop signs, but the other three legs had nothing, no lights or signs or turn lanes.

The philosophy seemed to be to let local drivers organically evolve unwritten rules that adapted to the actual conditions. And most of the time it worked, although it could get scary. And I'm sure there were more frequent accidents.

When I moved to California in 2000, I found myself in the land of very precise, detailed lane striping, signage, and signals. I surmised that was more necessary here, given how many more drivers were probably stoned.

RobbieL2415

According to every historic photo I've looked at, the Bourne/Sagamore Bridges have always been four lanes. That just blows my mind, because there's barely enough for two abreast as it is. Granted, cars were once skinny in the 30s, got wider in the 50s-70s, taller in the 90s-2000s, and now we have cars/trucks of all shapes and sizes.

storm2k

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 02, 2022, 10:36:41 AM
According to every historic photo I've looked at, the Bourne/Sagamore Bridges have always been four lanes. That just blows my mind, because there's barely enough for two abreast as it is. Granted, cars were once skinny in the 30s, got wider in the 50s-70s, taller in the 90s-2000s, and now we have cars/trucks of all shapes and sizes.

The original McCarter Highway viaduct in Newark comes to mind. That thing was  4 lanes and undivided and even more claustrophobic than the Pulaski Skyway, which is saying something.

Ted$8roadFan

Anyone driving to Cape Cod, especially in warm months, would grimly nod in agreement with you. Nothing comes easy in Massachusetts. Only recently have there even been plans for replacements.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/the-cape-cod-bridges-program-details#a-new-gateway-for-the-cape-

The Commonwealth has finally awoken to the fact that the bridges finally need replacement.  Of course, it will take a very long time to actually get it done.

pderocco

According to every historic photo I've looked at, the Bourne/Sagamore Bridges have always been four lanes. That just blows my mind, because there's barely enough for two abreast as it is.

I think it's pretty typical of old bridges to be just barely wide enough for the vehicles they intended to carry. They pinched pennies pretty effectively in those days.

MATraveler128

When I last visited the Cape last summer, I went via MA 3 across the Sagamore Bridge and I've always wondered why the southbound side narrows down to just one lane. Was there ever any thought back then in widening that segment to two lanes?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

shadyjay

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:55 AM
When I last visited the Cape last summer, I went via MA 3 across the Sagamore Bridge and I've always wondered why the southbound side narrows down to just one lane. Was there ever any thought back then in widening that segment to two lanes?

You've got a pretty heavy merge there where US 6 East joins the party to cross the Canal.  And that's the route from Providence, New York, all points west/southwest of Boston onto the cape.  Back when it was a rotary, everyone was entering the Sagamore at the same location/same ramp, which then widened to 2 lanes to cross the bridge. 

Ideally (and hopefully), any Sagamore Bridge replacement would include an "operational" lane to provide a dedicated lane for US 6 East traffic entering.  Even if it is a true "operational" lane and becomes an exit only for MA 6A, it will still add capacity over the bridge and help with the merge factor.  Then MA 3 South into the bridge could remain 2 lanes. 

Now, if a 3rd bridge was built between the Bourne and Sagamore, that could potentially handle the traffic coming down from 195/495 to have a direct shot to the Mid Cape Hwy. 
that could avoid having to exit, having to go around the Buzzards Bay rotary, then dealing with merging onto the Sag.  Of course the likelihood of a new expressway connector being built on the cape is about as likely as the Northeast Expressway being brought back to life (thru Saugus, Lynn, etc). 

DJ Particle

Quote from: shadyjay on May 04, 2022, 05:57:21 PM
Ideally (and hopefully), any Sagamore Bridge replacement would include an "operational" lane to provide a dedicated lane for US 6 East traffic entering.  Even if it is a true "operational" lane and becomes an exit only for MA 6A, it will still add capacity over the bridge and help with the merge factor.  Then MA 3 South into the bridge could remain 2 lanes. 

I believe that is the plan for the new bridges.

Ted$8roadFan

Basically, the state chose to have a one-lane MA 3/US 6 merge instead of the ritualistic game of chicken that was the Sagamore rotary when the latter was replaced. I imagine the merge queues would be worse if the mainline was two lanes instead of one, annoying as one lane often is. Glad to see the new plan will address this. .

RobbieL2415

There wouldn't be enough room for US 6 EB to merge before the bridge. If MA 3 SB were two lanes there you would probably have to have a parkway-style merge where US 6 traffic has a stop sign. With the lanes joining at least traffic can continue moving over the bridge without stopping.

The SB bridge over Meetinghouse Ln. is wide enough for two lanes and the southern abutment as wide, so when the new Sagamore Bridge is built it will be at least three lanes each way.

kramie13

Quote from: shadyjay on May 04, 2022, 05:57:21 PM
You've got a pretty heavy merge there where US 6 East joins the party to cross the Canal.  And that's the route from Providence, New York, all points west/southwest of Boston onto the cape.  Back when it was a rotary, everyone was entering the Sagamore at the same location/same ramp, which then widened to 2 lanes to cross the bridge. 

Are you saying that everyone who goes to the Cape uses the Sagamore bridge and not the Bourne?  From areas like Raynham and Middleborough, if I enter in an address in Hyannis on Google Maps, the directions have me crossing the canal on the Bourne Bbridge, then taking the road along the south side of the canal, then getting on US 6 at Exit 55.

bob7374

According to MassDOT's ProjectInfo site, the sign replacement project along I-290 between I-90 and I-190 and that replacing the remaining signs not replaced previously along MA 24 and I-195 in vicinity of their interchanges have been completed (though the I-290 project has been listed as complete before and the information had to be revised).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.