News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: kramie13 on August 25, 2023, 04:24:37 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 24, 2023, 10:32:17 PM
The Left Exit sign removal continues, this time further south along MA 3 in Plymouth with signage at the Plimoth Patuxet (formerly Plimoth Plantation) Highway exit, two examples:

Those overlays really stick out like a sore thumb.  Do you really need a large directional sign at the 1-mile warning for what is basically a parkway?

In fairness, Plimoth Plantation, er, Patuxet is a major tourist attraction, as is MA 3-A to which the highway leads to.

The Ghostbuster

I think the Pilmoth Plantation Highway should have been numbered MA 3B (given that the designation has been available since the original 3B was renumbered to MA 38 in the early 1930s), since the PPH was originally part of MA 3 from 1951 to 1957 (when the rest of the MA 3 freeway was completed to the US 6 freeway). I also think the Exit 12 off-ramp should be on the right-hand-side.

SectorZ

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 25, 2023, 07:51:11 PM
I think the Pilmoth Plantation Highway should have been numbered MA 3B (given that the designation has been available since the original 3B was renumbered to MA 38 in the early 1930s), since the PPH was originally part of MA 3 from 1951 to 1957 (when the rest of the MA 3 freeway was completed to the US 6 freeway). I also think the Exit 12 off-ramp should be on the right-hand-side.

3B looks too much like 38 to probably duplicate 3B somewhere else. I think DOTs agree with me given the "## B" exit numbering with the space between numbers and letters now to make a B not look like an 8.

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on August 25, 2023, 05:33:45 PM
... but that's still a fair amount of traffic, enough to warrant a 2-lane ramp. 

Have there been any proposals to expand "I-95 South" to 4 lanes, from 128 down to (at least) I-295)?  Looks like most of it could be done relatively easy, in the median, and the opportunity taken to fix the I-295NB to I-95NB ramp or to add c/d lanes at the I-95/I-495 cloverleaf.
Considering money is always the bottom line, I'd rather they get the 93/95 Canton Interchange done before they even tackle a possible flyover treatment of I-295 NB to I-95 NB (which is also desperately needed).

shadyjay

Quote from: southshore720 on August 27, 2023, 10:58:14 PM

Have there been any proposals to expand "I-95 South" to 4 lanes, from 128 down to (at least) I-295)?  Looks like most of it could be done relatively easy, in the median, and the opportunity taken to fix the I-295NB to I-95NB ramp or to add c/d lanes at the I-95/I-495 cloverleaf.
Considering money is always the bottom line, I'd rather they get the 93/95 Canton Interchange done before they even tackle a possible flyover treatment of I-295 NB to I-95 NB (which is also desperately needed).

Alrighty, so, probably not.  ;-)

In other news....
The LEFT exit tabs are alive and well in the Pioneer Valley.  Saw them surviving yesterday on I-91 South in the Greenfield area for the MA 2 East exit. 
(No pictures from this trip, but they were there)

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on August 28, 2023, 09:13:51 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on August 27, 2023, 10:58:14 PM

Alrighty, so, probably not.  ;-)

In other news....
The LEFT exit tabs are alive and well in the Pioneer Valley.  Saw them surviving yesterday on I-91 South in the Greenfield area for the MA 2 East exit. 
(No pictures from this trip, but they were there)
They are also still around in the Worcester area on I-290 based on recent photos posted on FB. Does someone in the Boston area have something against them? Would be nice to hear an explanation for this from MassDOT.

SectorZ

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on August 29, 2023, 08:10:12 AM
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/massdot-secretary-stepping-down-after-8-months-on-the-job/3122594/

MassDOT's new head winning the speedrun competition for Gov. Healey's cabinet picks.
Heh.  It seems few DOT heads stick around for very long nowadays, but that's a fun little stint.

One of those jobs where a lot can go wrong that's out of your control (e.g., stupid people driving in blizzards) and you still have to take the blame.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on August 29, 2023, 09:54:18 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on August 29, 2023, 08:10:12 AM
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/massdot-secretary-stepping-down-after-8-months-on-the-job/3122594/

MassDOT's new head winning the speedrun competition for Gov. Healey's cabinet picks.
Heh.  It seems few DOT heads stick around for very long nowadays, but that's a fun little stint.

One of those jobs where a lot can go wrong that's out of your control (e.g., stupid people driving in blizzards) and you still have to take the blame.

Per a Boston Globe story from the Spring (no point in linking due to paywalling) she awarded a $900K no bid-contract to her former brother-in-law Bill Bratton. Bratton used to be Boston police commissioner before going to NYC, and used to be married to her sister Cheryl, who jumps between government jobs and TV jobs within Boston. Needless to say her employer, WBZ, never reported on the Globe story. I guess you're not following up on an investigation when your investigative reporter is the partial subject of the story.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on July 10, 2023, 04:23:00 PM
I wonder if they were worried about the extra LEFT tab's height and strong winds, or the signs not being designed properly for wind loads.   Could this have been related to the fall-out of the random gantry on I-190 that collapsed earlier this year?
FWIW, the gantry along I-190 that fell was a cantilever type with a single sign panel with a standard right-justified Exit tab.

Edit:.
Link replaced.

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2022/08/bolts-failed-on-highway-sign-that-fell-on-i-190-in-worcester-investigation-shows-52-more-highway-signs-being-inspected.html

Quote from: Excerpt from Above-web-linkAn overhead sign that fell on I-190 in Worcester last week was caused when the anchor bolts holding the sign support to its foundation failed, according to a preliminary investigation by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
In that case, it was anchor bolts on the foundation; not the ones on the sign panels nor above-gantries themselves.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Ghostbuster

That story from August of last year is no longer available at that link. I got a "404 Page Not Found" error when I clicked on it.

Ted$8roadFan

Catastrophic flooding in Leominster last night that had a severe effect on local roads and on MA-2.

bob7374

ThatHighwayGuy777

I guess they revamped a good chunk of the mile markers on highways and made them thicker with a big route shield and mile marker your on and am I the only one who thinks these are ugly

bob7374

Quote from: ThatHighwayGuy777 on September 16, 2023, 12:55:06 AM
I guess they revamped a good chunk of the mile markers on highways and made them thicker with a big route shield and mile marker your on and am I the only one who thinks these are ugly
Yes, new ones have appeared along Route 3 in Braintree and Weymouth. These are actually the first with the route shields on that stretch, they put up markers like those seen on non-freeways when they were installing those throughout District 6 and didn't replace them with enhanced reference markers when the rest of the route was first upgraded. The route shields do look a little too large given the current size of the markers.

Ted$8roadFan

The Commonwealth is beginning the process of considering a replacement to the Maurice Tobin Bridge, opened in 1950 and a key cog in Greater Boston's transportation network.

https://whdh.com/news/state-setting-sights-on-replacing-tobin-bridge/

The Ghostbuster

I assume the new bridge will be a double-decked bridge like the existing Northeast Expressway is from Interstate 93 to 5th St.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2023, 11:21:01 AM
I assume the new bridge will be a double-decked bridge like the existing Northeast Expressway is from Interstate 93 to 5th St.

I think it would have to be, given space limitations.

shadyjay

In a perfect world, the new Tobin Bridge would be built on a new alignment, leaving I-93 near Sullivan Square and meeting up with the existing alignment in Chelsea near Rt 16.  You'd eliminate two curves and would have improved ramps to/from I-93 that occur "ON THE RIGHT".  And it looks like a mostly industrial area.  (And that perfect world would have this become I-95 since you'd be able to build the rest of the Northeast Exp'y out to 128). 

Anyway...

I wonder if in the 'list of possible alternatives', when it comes out (still a ways to go for that), if such an alignment would be thrown out there for consideration, or what other options they'll come up with.  Seems like building a double decker bridge of that length in this day and age isn't the most ideal (especially if you're on the other coast).

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on September 21, 2023, 05:18:02 PM
In a perfect world, the new Tobin Bridge would be built on a new alignment, leaving I-93 near Sullivan Square and meeting up with the existing alignment in Chelsea near Rt 16.  You'd eliminate two curves and would have improved ramps to/from I-93 that occur "ON THE RIGHT".  And it looks like a mostly industrial area.  (And that perfect world would have this become I-95 since you'd be able to build the rest of the Northeast Exp'y out to 128). 

Anyway...

I wonder if in the 'list of possible alternatives', when it comes out (still a ways to go for that), if such an alignment would be thrown out there for consideration, or what other options they'll come up with.  Seems like building a double decker bridge of that length in this day and age isn't the most ideal (especially if you're on the other coast).
What about a tunnel from MA 1A from the north end of the Callahan/Sumner Tunnels to just before Alington St?

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 22, 2023, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 21, 2023, 05:18:02 PM

Anyway...

What about a tunnel from MA 1A from the north end of the Callahan/Sumner Tunnels to just before Alington St?
*laughs in Syracuse*

I'd love to see MA get bogged down in that nonsense.  It's someone else's turn.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

shadyjay

Saw something today I've never seen before...

When was the last time you saw a yellow diamond/speed limit sign (which normally advises you of a reduced speed ahead) indicate an increase in speed ahead?  On MA 140 North just past the MA 2 expressway, there is a yellow diamond with a speed limit 50 sign in it.  Prior to this diamond, the speed limit is 40 MPH (on account of a traffic light/intersection). 

Anywhere else this is seen?

Alps

Quote from: shadyjay on October 01, 2023, 08:04:24 PM
Saw something today I've never seen before...

When was the last time you saw a yellow diamond/speed limit sign (which normally advises you of a reduced speed ahead) indicate an increase in speed ahead?  On MA 140 North just past the MA 2 expressway, there is a yellow diamond with a speed limit 50 sign in it.  Prior to this diamond, the speed limit is 40 MPH (on account of a traffic light/intersection). 

Anywhere else this is seen?
It's really pointless because you can just use the new higher speed limit sign to increase speeds, there's no need for warning.

NE-3

New topic. Has MassDot cut back the budget on vegetation control/management, grooming and cleaning MassDOT maintained roadways or segments of roadways?  Not that Mass has ever done this well compared to other states IMO, but it seems to be getting worse with weeds and grass growing over guardrails, excessive overgrowth around interchanges, weeds and even small trees growing out of storm drains particularly around highway interchanges, excessive weeds growing out of bridge overpasses, sidewalks, median barriers, accumulation of dirt, gravel and other road debris, etc. And, what's with the angled granite curbing used as edging that as far as I can tell is a Massachusetts thing?  The edging seems to add virtually nothing except serve as a weed magnet.  The lack of vegetation management is more than just aesthetics, but also raises safety concerns.

SectorZ

Quote from: NE-3 on October 12, 2023, 11:02:05 AM
New topic. Has MassDot cut back the budget on vegetation control/management, grooming and cleaning MassDOT maintained roadways or segments of roadways?  Not that Mass has ever done this well compared to other states IMO, but it seems to be getting worse with weeds and grass growing over guardrails, excessive overgrowth around interchanges, weeds and even small trees growing out of storm drains particularly around highway interchanges, excessive weeds growing out of bridge overpasses, sidewalks, median barriers, accumulation of dirt, gravel and other road debris, etc. And, what's with the angled granite curbing used as edging that as far as I can tell is a Massachusetts thing?  The edging seems to add virtually nothing except serve as a weed magnet.  The lack of vegetation management is more than just aesthetics, but also raises safety concerns.

I can speak from a bicycling perspective on this, weeds on the edge of roads are terrible this year. Not just Mass but NH as well. I think keeping up with their growth has just been much harder. I've taken my fair share of lashes from ones hanging into narrow roads, and much more than prior years. If we have a dry year soon, I'll be inclined to agree with you, but for now I think it's more related to the excessive rainfall and their planning around a more typical weather pattern for the summer.

(Also welcome to the forum!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.