News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 16, 2023, 05:26:25 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 15, 2023, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: NE-3 on October 17, 2023, 06:49:02 AM
It may certainly be the changes in climate - more CO2 and warm and wet weather. That may require MassDOT to update its vegetation management plan or at least more vigorously follow its current plan taking into account changes in climate. Overgrowth on guardrails, medians, storm drains, sidewalks, overpasses raises safety concerns (which MassDOT states in its plan).

As every gardener in Mass. this year knows, it was the staggering amount of rain. We received something like 4" in Greater Boston last summer, a total we got in at least one week this summer (and possibly in multiple weeks).

Indeed. This was our worst year for gardening in living memory, between excessive rain and excessive heat.

The average high for summer (Jun-Aug) at my location was three degrees below normal...

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: SectorZ on November 16, 2023, 07:27:57 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 16, 2023, 05:26:25 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 15, 2023, 04:27:46 PM
Quote from: NE-3 on October 17, 2023, 06:49:02 AM
It may certainly be the changes in climate - more CO2 and warm and wet weather. That may require MassDOT to update its vegetation management plan or at least more vigorously follow its current plan taking into account changes in climate. Overgrowth on guardrails, medians, storm drains, sidewalks, overpasses raises safety concerns (which MassDOT states in its plan).

As every gardener in Mass. this year knows, it was the staggering amount of rain. We received something like 4" in Greater Boston last summer, a total we got in at least one week this summer (and possibly in multiple weeks).

Indeed. This was our worst year for gardening in living memory, between excessive rain and excessive heat.

The average high for summer (Jun-Aug) at my location was three degrees below normal...

I'll have to look up what it was near my place  Regardless, a few days of very heavy rain and extreme humidity outdid our efforts in the garden.

kramie13

Quote from: kramie13 on November 06, 2023, 02:42:31 PM
On I-95 south approaching I-495, is there a reason why there are no overhead signs at Exit 12B (I-495 north exit)?

You have a 1 mile advance sign announcing Exits 12B-A, then Exit 12B comes right at you after rounding a curve with no other warning signs.  Exit 12A for I-495 South still has its own "at-exit" overhead sign.  Why is this?

Also, I've noticed that a new gore sign for Exit 12B was installed in 2021, just after the switch to mileage based exit numbering, but now it's a "temporary-looking" "at-exit" sign for I-495 north.

Before (August 2021):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0293165,-71.2542511,3a,49.6y,228.5h,88.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sd-aN6wNLbnKmdYDpFOZebA!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Currently (October 2023):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0293267,-71.254242,3a,75y,228.5h,88.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1scF8m_ylI59jM-vpBM5M1cQ!2e0!5s20231001T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Quote from: bob7374 on November 06, 2023, 04:05:52 PM
The reason the signage for I-495 on I-95 South is very inadequate is the unfortunate result of two different reasons. The 1/2 Mile advance sign for I-495 on I-95 South was one of the signs that was supposed to be put up during the last sign replacement project, the old sign was taken down but nothing has replaced it as of yet (MassDOT says the project is complete). The overhead signs put up at the I-495 North exit, seen in August 2021, were knocked down by a truck soon after. The I-495 North sign was replaced by the 'temporary' exit/gore sign that is there now to stay until a new set of permanent signs is placed there. How long that will be is unknown. It's been 2 years, you would think it would have happened by now.

I was just on this stretch of I-95 yesterday - the overhead sign gantry just before exit 12B going south has been restored!  It's your typical sign assembly - a 1/4 mile sign for the 2nd cloverleaf exit (I-495 south) alongside an "at exit" sign for the first cloverleaf exit (I-495 north).

Oddly, the "temporary, enhanced" gore sign for I-495 north/exit 12B still remains at the interchange.

mariethefoxy

Question about the pre-big dig configuration. How did things work with the HOV lane on the lower level on 93 heading towards the older Zakim bridge which had only three lanes across? Looking at old footage where people get onto 93 from the Tobin they loop around and that lane becomes the rightmost lane where there are only two lanes on 93 south approaching that merge, then those three lanes go over the old double decker Zakim bridge.

Also that segment itself is a bit strange, was all that extra space for more lanes in the double decker segment in Somerville supposed to tie into the unbuilt I-695 if it was built?

5foot14

Quote from: mariethefoxy on November 28, 2023, 01:05:23 AM
Question about the pre-big dig configuration. How did things work with the HOV lane on the lower level on 93 heading towards the older Zakim bridge which had only three lanes across? Looking at old footage where people get onto 93 from the Tobin they loop around and that lane becomes the rightmost lane where there are only two lanes on 93 south approaching that merge, then those three lanes go over the old double decker Zakim bridge.

Also that segment itself is a bit strange, was all that extra space for more lanes in the double decker segment in Somerville supposed to tie into the unbuilt I-695 if it was built?

The HOV lane didn't exist back then. It was added as an environmental mitigation as a part of the big dig. Yes the extra space would've facilitated the merge from I-695 had it been built. Also the old double decker bridge over the Charles River was named The Charlestown High Bridge. It was never referred to as the Zakim Bridge.

Interestingly, before the loop ramps your referring to were built, ramps to the Tobin Bridge (US 1) connected at a Y Interchange directly north of the High Bridge on the EAST side. Before US 1 was relocated onto the Central Artery, US 1 traversed the Tobin Bridge and continued to Storrow Drive. This meant than anyone who wanted to continue on US 1 South would merge on to the High Bridge in the left lane, have to merge over 2 lanes of heavy traffic to exit to US 1 Storrow Drive on the right, all within the 1/4 mile or so of the High Bridge. The same would apply to those entering North from Storrow Drive and wanting to continue North to US 1 and the Tobin Bridge.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 5foot14 on November 28, 2023, 01:00:42 PM

The HOV lane didn't exist back then. It was added as an environmental mitigation as a part of the big dig. Yes the extra space would've facilitated the merge from I-695 had it been built. Also the old double decker bridge over the Charles River was named The Charlestown High Bridge. It was never referred to as the Zakim Bridge.

Interestingly, before the loop ramps your referring to were built, ramps to the Tobin Bridge (US 1) connected at a Y Interchange directly north of the High Bridge on the EAST side. Before US 1 was relocated onto the Central Artery, US 1 traversed the Tobin Bridge and continued to Storrow Drive. This meant than anyone who wanted to continue on US 1 South would merge on to the High Bridge in the left lane, have to merge over 2 lanes of heavy traffic to exit to US 1 Storrow Drive on the right, all within the 1/4 mile or so of the High Bridge. The same would apply to those entering North from Storrow Drive and wanting to continue North to US 1 and the Tobin Bridge.

The old Y with US-1 and I-93 was white knuckle driving indeed. So much so that the loop ramps were opened to the old High Bridge in 1994 as part of the Central Artery Nirth Area project. This was nearly a decade before the Zakim itself opened.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: bob7374 on October 25, 2023, 11:52:09 AM
MassDOT is holding a public meeting on Thursday 10/26 regarding its proposed reconstruction and widening of the Bowker Overpass that takes traffic to and from the Fenway to Storrow Drive over the Mass Pike and railroad tracks:
https://www.mass.gov/event/boston-bowker-overpass-bridge-superstructure-replacement-and-new-bridge-construction-2023-10-26t180000-0400-2023-10-26t193000-0400

Hopefully, this will include the removal of the remaining signs that still refer to Storrow Drive East as US 1 more than 30 years after the route was rerouted along I-93.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1v6XjjBow

Virtual meeting of the said project... The project entails the removal of the ramps to and from Commonwealth Avenue and reconfigures the intersection of Boylston Street to include a fourth leg alongside a new (and wider) bridge to accommodate traffic and pedestrians to and from Commonwealth Avenue.

roadman

Actually, the HOV lane on the Lower Deck existed almost from the opening of the roadway in September, 1973 (the day after Georges Tonka Toy wiped out a support bent on the Charlestown side - note that the Upper and Lower decks didn't receive the I-93 designation until late 1974.).  The left lane served as both the exit to the northbound Tobin Bridge and the HOV lane.  When the lane was being enforced, people without the minimum number of occupants (it was originally 3+) who tried to slip back into the mainline lanes would be pulled over into the gore area, ticketed, and then directed to take the ramp to the Tobin Bridge.  There used to be a right-side slip ramp into City Square northbound just before the start of the bridge, but many people weren't aware of this or were unable to cross over to use it, with the result they ended up in Chelsea.   When work began on the Zakim Bridge/Big Dig, the lane wound up being significantly shortened, and would no longer had an "enforcement" area.  Originally, MassDPW wanted to eliminate the lane completely, but the EPA rejected the idea.   Instead, the start of the lane was extended to just after the Mystic Avenue exit, and a new "enforcement area" was constructed midway along the HOV lane where the road widens at the stub ramp that was supposed to come from the I-695 'clockwise' direction.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mariethefoxy

Quote from: roadman on December 02, 2023, 03:31:12 PM

Actually, the HOV lane on the Lower Deck existed almost from the opening of the roadway in September, 1973 (the day after Georges Tonka Toy wiped out a support bent on the Charlestown side - note that the Upper and Lower decks didn't receive the I-93 designation until late 1974.).  The left lane served as both the exit to the northbound Tobin Bridge and the HOV lane.  When the lane was being enforced, people without the minimum number of occupants (it was originally 3+) who tried to slip back into the mainline lanes would be pulled over into the gore area, ticketed, and then directed to take the ramp to the Tobin Bridge.  There used to be a right-side slip ramp into City Square northbound just before the start of the bridge, but many people weren't aware of this or were unable to cross over to use it, with the result they ended up in Chelsea.   When work began on the Zakim Bridge/Big Dig, the lane wound up being significantly shortened, and would no longer had an "enforcement" area.  Originally, MassDPW wanted to eliminate the lane completely, but the EPA rejected the idea.   Instead, the start of the lane was extended to just after the Mystic Avenue exit, and a new "enforcement area" was constructed midway along the HOV lane where the road widens at the stub ramp that was supposed to come from the I-695 'clockwise' direction.

During that time when the older High Bridge was still in use and the Tobin ramps were reconfigured to the right side, where did the Carpool lane end? Since I imagine it would have merged into the two main lanes, since the on ramp from the Tobin according to videos I watched added a lane, so then you had three lanes over the High Bridge, the right most lane was an exit only for the Storrow Dr Exit then the onramp right after that Exit made the third lane for the elevated artery

Ted$8roadFan

Just drove through the I-90/I-95 interchange. MassDOT appears to be changing the ramp from the Mass. Pike to I-95/128 North so that there is less weaving between those going to I-95 north and those exiting at MA-30.

JWF1959

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 30, 2023, 11:55:44 AM
Just drove through the I-90/I-95 interchange. MassDOT appears to be changing the ramp from the Mass. Pike to I-95/128 North so that there is less weaving between those going to I-95 north and those exiting at MA-30.

It's hard to believe that after all this time, at one of the major interchanges in MA, that the Mass Pike ramps to 95N and 95S are both only two lanes each.  The former toll booth area is huge where the traffic converges, but it all funnels down to two outrageously out-of-date on ramps to I  95.

Pete from Boston

Does anyone have a good link to a plan of work for this project? I have seen overviews of the roadways involved in the work, but not specifics about which bridges will be rehabbed and which ones will be replaced.

Quote from: JWF1959 on January 01, 2024, 08:33:33 PM
It's hard to believe that after all this time, at one of the major interchanges in MA, that the Mass Pike ramps to 95N and 95S are both only two lanes each.  The former toll booth area is huge where the traffic converges, but it all funnels down to two outrageously out-of-date on ramps to I  95.

When tolls were removed, I always assumed that as these interchanges were worked on, they would be reconfigured in a way more rational to a non-toll road situation, like the one at 495.

However, my guess is this project would be vastly more expensive and take much longer to get off the ground if they did that, particularly with the number of site constraints and abutters. It's a shame because it is, as you point out, kind of a disaster.

bob7374

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 11, 2024, 04:36:03 PM

Does anyone have a good link to a plan of work for this project? I have seen overviews of the roadways involved in the work, but not specifics about which bridges will be rehabbed and which ones will be replaced.

When tolls were removed, I always assumed that as these interchanges were worked on, they would be reconfigured in a way more rational to a non-toll road situation, like the one at 495.

However, my guess is this project would be vastly more expensive and take much longer to get off the ground if they did that, particularly with the number of site constraints and abutters. It's a shame because it is, as you point out, kind of a disaster.
Here is the MassDOT project webpage. They describe it as simply a bridge replacement and rehabilitation project, they do not mention any changes to the ramps in the interchange:
"A series of eight bridges at the I-90/I-95 (Route 128) interchange on the Newton/Weston border are in need of replacement and rehabilitation. The bridges are currently safe but aging and deteriorating. Included in these bridges is I-90's crossing over the Charles River. Of the eight bridges, five will be replaced, one will be rehabilitated, and two will have their superstructure replaced."
https://www.mass.gov/newton-weston-bridge-replacement-and-rehabilitation-at-i-90i-95

Ted$8roadFan

It would be great to see a more modern I-90/I-95 interchange, given its regional significance. As you point out though, unlike I-495, it would be much more complex due to significant site constraints and suspicious neighbors that would make any improvements prohibitively expensive. The area has gotten better with the removal of the toll booths and the elimination of the horrible merge from I-90W yo I-95. That, plus the bridge improvements, are the best we can hope for in the foreseeable future.

Rothman

Although I spent much of my life in Massachusetts, I have grown tired of its lousy signage.  Yes, SGSes trigger a fair amount of nostalgia with me, but usually such signage did not cover all route movements at New England's quirky intersections or even traditional intersections where concurrencies split or merged.  It's better for drivers when they're replaced by trailblazers, despite the lack of distance information to nearby communities.

On a recent trip to Boston, I found myself annoyed at their random placement of trailblazers, especially "TO" ones with straight arrows, but no further guidance down the road.  TO MA 2A, straight on Boylston.  Are we going to tell you where to turn left to actually get onto MA 2A?  Of course not.  TO I-90 West, straight arrow.  We're just not wanting you to ignore a no left turn restriction, but then will not give you any further guidance to the I-90 west on-ramp.

I've said for years that it is impossible to follow state routes through Holyoke, MA, especially MA 116, so it's not restricted to the Boston area.

Add on top of that the fact that you can ride the T for free if the right drivers are operating/not enforcing the on-train fare collection/card reader is broken and the startling incompetence seems to affect all areas.  And why the freak can you not use the CharlieCard for the T-operated ferries?

There is a lot to like about Massachusetts, but transportation wayfinding is just not one of them, much to my chagrin.

</rant>
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Speaking of route signage, I don't like how the western part of the state has the MassPike logo up top.  The blue directional banner clashes with the white shield.  The way they appear out east with the interstate shield on top looks much nicer.

In other issues, is there something in the road near the I-290/I-395 interchange?  When I was there this morning, I must have seen 4-5 cars off the side of the road in the span of a couple miles, all with flat tires.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on January 14, 2024, 09:03:20 PM
In other issues, is there something in the road near the I-290/I-395 interchange?  When I was there this morning, I must have seen 4-5 cars off the side of the road in the span of a couple miles, all with flat tires.

Flat tires have been an apparent scourge of late for a lot of people. I drove 95 from Burlington to Canton Friday morning and there was a vehicle pulled over every 1-2 miles with a flat. All driver's side too which can't be fun to replace. Not a single vehicle pulled over with a flat doing the N/B drive back.

kramie13

Speaking of route signage, I don't like how the western part of the state has the MassPike logo up top.  The blue directional banner clashes with the white shield.  The way they appear out east with the interstate shield on top looks much nicer.

Even more annoying, the western part of the Mass Pike has overhead exit signs now when they used to be ground-mounted.  East of I-84 the overheads are okay, since the highway is 3 lanes in each direction.  But west of that interchange they should be ground-mounted.  It creates a more intimate road setting, and overhead signs on 2-lane highways can ruin the view!

Rothman

Quote from: kramie13 on January 15, 2024, 11:18:46 AM

Even more annoying, the western part of the Mass Pike has overhead exit signs now when they used to be ground-mounted.  East of I-84 the overheads are okay, since the highway is 3 lanes in each direction.  But west of that interchange they should be ground-mounted.  It creates a more intimate road setting, and overhead signs on 2-lane highways can ruin the view!
Pfft.  As someone who spent many years in Western MA, there are very good reasons why MassDOT has opted to convert to overhead signage.  Greater and more reliable visibility being only one of them.  MA 9 on I-91 NB's ground mounted signage was hanging on by its fingernails by the time it was replaced.  MA 116 on I-91 SB had sign go completely down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

I actually think the signage has actually gotten better in the state overall.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 15, 2024, 01:17:49 PM
I actually think the signage has actually gotten better in the state overall.
But it was so bad to begin with that even the small improvement there has been seems significant.

Give a man a penny who had a penny and his income doubles...

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bob7374 on January 11, 2024, 11:09:46 PM

Here is the MassDOT project webpage. They describe it as simply a bridge replacement and rehabilitation project, they do not mention any changes to the ramps in the interchange:
"A series of eight bridges at the I-90/I-95 (Route 128) interchange on the Newton/Weston border are in need of replacement and rehabilitation. The bridges are currently safe but aging and deteriorating. Included in these bridges is I-90's crossing over the Charles River. Of the eight bridges, five will be replaced, one will be rehabilitated, and two will have their superstructure replaced."
https://www.mass.gov/newton-weston-bridge-replacement-and-rehabilitation-at-i-90i-95
Thanks. I've seen this and it's typically short on detail, no plan of work or specifics.

Pete from Boston

Does anyone know of plans to rehabilitate or replace the Mass. 129 overpass over I-93 in Wilmington? It looks awful and there are already a few band-aids on it.  (Google Street View images)

SectorZ

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2024, 01:44:47 PM
Does anyone know of plans to rehabilitate or replace the Mass. 129 overpass over I-93 in Wilmington? It looks awful and there are already a few band-aids on it.

https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=608703

Work begins summer 2025. I don't know if you've been on the bridge, but part of the westbound side is closed off, with all traffic squeezing over to the eastbound and a bit of the westbound side. It's as rough looking on top of it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SectorZ on January 23, 2024, 04:31:44 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 23, 2024, 01:44:47 PM
Does anyone know of plans to rehabilitate or replace the Mass. 129 overpass over I-93 in Wilmington? It looks awful and there are already a few band-aids on it.

https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=608703

Work begins summer 2025. I don't know if you've been on the bridge, but part of the westbound side is closed off, with all traffic squeezing over to the eastbound and a bit of the westbound side. It's as rough looking on top of it.

I guess it's good news that it's planned, but man is it scary it's going to be in this state another year and a half. I have been on top. It's kind of jarring how much the whole thing has been allowed to deteriorate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.