News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

A lot of the remaining neon VMS's are on the side of the road, rather than overhead.  But two days ago I saw several locations with a neon VMS mounted on an overpass, and a new digital VMS on a sign bridge about 100 feet beforehand.  While I didn't see any of the neon lit, the variable speed limit signs with them appeared to still be active.

Looked kind of neat seeing the old and new at once, while it lasts.

Zeffy

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 21, 2014, 10:56:03 PM
Aside from that, congrats to Zeffy for taking on the task of reproducing NJTP-style sign graphics.  Even if the style ceases to exist in hard-copy form, it's nice to think that it can somehow be preserved.

Why, thank you very much. After I made the huge idiot mistake of calling these signs "monstrosities", I learned that these are actually, quite amazing. The Turnpike itself, is amazing. It's an amazing engineering achievement, and I'm proud to have it in my home state of New Jersey. Unfortunately, I have to go by a blind-eye and guess everything since there are no posted specs for these style of signs anywhere. Still, I'd like to think I'm at least decent at it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

swbrotha100

So will there be any new I-95 shields on the newly widened section (NB at least)? Or will it be more years before that happens?

Zeffy

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 23, 2014, 10:18:51 AM
So will there be any new I-95 shields on the newly widened section (NB at least)? Or will it be more years before that happens?

I don't know how many I-95 shields that aren't mounted on overhead signs exist on the Turnpike - I remember seeing one at the exit 10 toll plaza about half of year ago. Along the route I don't think I see any reassurance shields.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on October 23, 2014, 10:26:59 AM
I don't know how many I-95 shields that aren't mounted on overhead signs exist on the Turnpike - I remember seeing one at the exit 10 toll plaza about half of year ago. Along the route I don't think I see any reassurance shields.
Never noticed them before...and here they are:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.524404,-74.339445&spn=0.000004,0.002736&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.524348,-74.340049&panoid=mr_6vWNPBUwhdjyNYE19JQ&cbp=12,279.19,,0,1.48

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 23, 2014, 11:00:36 AM
Never noticed them before...and here they are:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.524404,-74.339445&spn=0.000004,0.002736&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.524348,-74.340049&panoid=mr_6vWNPBUwhdjyNYE19JQ&cbp=12,279.19,,0,1.48

Yup, those are them! They caught me off guard, because they are located after the split. Unfortunately they are neutered, which luckily isn't the standard in New Jersey off of overhead guide signs...

PHLBOS

At the Joyce Kilmer Plaza, there is a ground-mounted BGS pointing to the northbound entrance ramp (to get back on the Turnpike) that shows both the I-95 & NJTP shields.

BGS simply reads:

NORTH
95 NJTP
<------

Note: NJTP is in shield form.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

It's hard to view because of the rain and wet roads, but the lines are painted on the NB turnpike to the extent they could be painted without interfering with traffic. Here is where the 3 lanes merge right to the outer roadway at the diverge point: You can barely see the yellow left shoulder line and the left skip line has been painted. At some point in the next few days, the current line stripping will need to be removed and restriped to properly designate the movements for 3 lanes becoming 6 lanes.

(Edited to make the images smaller, since they weren't the best of pics!)

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2014, 11:48:28 AM
It's hard to view because of the rain and wet roads, but the lines are painted on the NB turnpike to the extent they could be painted without interfering with traffic. Here is where the 3 lanes merge right to the outer roadway at the diverge point: You can barely see the yellow left shoulder line and the left skip line has been painted. At some point in the next few days, the current line stripping will need to be removed and restriped to properly designate the movements for 3 lanes becoming 6 lanes.

Good progress, I believe, towards opening up the newly widened stretch in full by Thanksgiving; almost 2 weeks or so after the extended I-49 is completed and opened from Dodderige to LA 1 (late Autumn seems to be the time frame of choice for openings: I-69 SIU 3 and Missouri I-49 last November/December)...

storm2k

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 22, 2014, 10:57:49 PM
I drove all but the lower 20 miles or so in late June.  There seemed to be quite a lot of neon warning signs left below Exit 6, though it was impossible to tell which were still active.

IIRC, the new VMS project was a multi year affair so they should be wrapping up the last of the project later this year or early next.

jeffandnicole

A few more pics this morning. It wasn't raining at least!

The internally lit hybrid drum/LED VMS signage. This particular one is 1 mile ahead of the split; an identical one is 2 miles prior to the split.  After today, they will presumably always have something to say!

The left Yellow line has been painted, and the left/center lane skip line for the inner roadway starts here.

With apologies for the blurriness, this point will be the start of all 6 lanes. You can see slightly in the distance where the temporary yellow line ends, and the white shoulder line alongside the hashmarks in the center of the pavement begins.

Zeffy

Wow, those signs are so freaking cool because they are dynamic but they display colors and typefaces like a non-electronic sign. I really want to experience the new configuration at least a few months after all the new lanes are open.

Pete from Boston

Just think–they'll be able to switch to Clearview in an instant.

The ones on the GSP (same as these, basically) are so bright that during the height of daylight they look like an ordinary BGS.  All the background colors I've seen rendered beautifully and sharply–orange, purple, and of course green.

EricJV95

HEADS UP !!!!! AND I MEAN HEADS UP !!!! The N.J. Turnpike widening construction is "FINALLY DONE" !!!! NEW Traffic patterns are now in place between Exits 6 and 9 !!! The new dual lanes are now open between EXIT 6 (Pa. Turnpike-Florence) and EXIT 9 (Rt. 18 - U.S. 1 New Brunswick) NORTHBOUND OPENED TODAY !!!! Southbound next week. Anyone with CLEAR pictures of the NEW NORTHBOUND traffic patterns on the N.J. Turnpike; "BRING 'EM" !!!! New exit signs and all !!!!

SignBridge

Great to hear! Hope they open the southbound on Monday, 'cause I expect to be driving to Virginia on Tuesday, and it would be great not to have the delay at the merge point. Returning on Sat. Nov. 1st so I'll appreciate the northbound lanes then. Really cool news! Thanks Eric.

02 Park Ave

What is the next project going to be for the Turnpike?  Three lanes south of Exit 4?
C-o-H

Mr. Matté

Quote from: EricJV95 on October 24, 2014, 07:05:59 PM
HEADS UP !!!!! AND I MEAN HEADS UP !!!! The N.J. Turnpike widening construction is "FINALLY DONE" !!!! NEW Traffic patterns are now in place between Exits 6 and 9 !!! The new dual lanes are now open between EXIT 6 (Pa. Turnpike-Florence) and EXIT 9 (Rt. 18 - U.S. 1 New Brunswick) NORTHBOUND OPENED TODAY !!!! Southbound next week. Anyone with CLEAR pictures of the NEW NORTHBOUND traffic patterns on the N.J. Turnpike; "BRING 'EM" !!!! New exit signs and all !!!!

While your shift key was stuck on, the actual opening is delayed until Sunday: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/10/rain_delays_opening_of_new_nj_turnpike_lanes.html

jeffandnicole

BTW...since I only viewed the pics on my cell phone, my apologies for the blurry pics.  When the screen is only 4" wide, they looked a bit better!  :nod:

02 Park Ave: Actually, there are several 'major' projects going on for both the Turnpike & Parkway.  Widening below Interchange 4 isn't even on the near-future plans at this point.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2014, 09:42:53 PM
Yes...eventually. A few signs on the northern sections of the Turnpike have been replaced with the same old boring signage seen in the rest of the country. As they only need to convert them to the MUTCD standard when the signs need replacing, it could be a good 20 years before they are all converted if they wait until the sign has completed its lifespan. They weren't required to use the MUTCD standard signage in the widened area since those signs had already been designed, although there was certainly a lot of time to redesign the signage.

There are very few neon signs still in use: They will probably be replaced or removed within a few months. The project is still ongoing. The one closest to me has been replaced, but the old signs haven't been removed.

South of Exit 9 won't get MUTCD signs until the next time the signs are due to be replaced, maybe 20+ years? As Alps has mentioned here more than once, any signage projects that were in production before the MUTCD switch was done will keep their "classic" NJTA signage, which is why the dual-dual extension has NJTA signs and also all the signs from Exit 5 south to the Del Mem Br were replaced within the past four or five years.

EricJV95

I'm sure they will add I-95 shields on the turnpike guide signs North and Southbound. I've seen some on the SOUTHBOUND MAINLINE from I-80 near Ridgefield Park, Teaneck and Fort Lee. As for the southern end, I do see the turnpike expand to 3 lanes each way. That would be a major improvement. The MUTCD signage is NOT a turnpike custom. Maybe for the G.S. Parkway, But NOT for the turnpike !! All guide signs along the N.J. Turnpike NORTH of EXIT 5 should carry the I-95 shield in BOTH directions. For example , Some should read "95 / TP NORTH (Newark - New York). Or from EXITS 17 to 11; Some should read "95/TP SOUTH (Newark-Woodbridge-Trenton). And from EXIT 11 SOUTH "95/TP SOUTH (Trenton - Del. Mem. Br.)

EricJV95

Ok. Here what the N.J. Turnpike signage should read ;

First SOUTHBOUND: 95/NJTP SOUTH (Newark - Woodbridge - Trenton) from Exits 17 to Exits 15W & 15E
                             95/NJTP SOUTH (New Brunswick - Trenton ) from Exit 14 to Exit 11
                             95/NJTP SOUTH (Trenton - Del. Mem. Br.) from Exit 11 to Exit 7A
                             95/NJTP SOUTH (Philadelphia - Del. Mem. Br.) Exits 7A to Exit 6
                             95/NJTP SOUTH (Del. Mem. Br.- Wilmington) Exits 6 on SOUTH

Now NORTHBOUND : NJTP NORTH (Newark - New York) from Del. Mem Bridge to Exit 5
                              95/NJTP NORTH (Newark - New York) from Exit 6 to Newark Airport (EXIT 14)
                              95/NJTP NORTH (Eastern Spur) Lincoln Tunnel - New York
                                                     (Western Spur) Fort Lee - G. Washington Br. - New York

jeffandnicole

To pick on Woodbridge here for a moment...

Why would you remove the control city before you reach the city? If, for whatever reason, the Turnpike would use Woodbridge as a control city, they would use it to Exit 11, which would be the exit for Woodbridge, not drop it suddenly at the Exit 15s.

It would also make sense to have the control cities the same for both directions, if the city is in the middle of the state.  You have Woodbridge going Southbound, but never mentioned Northbound.  If it's important in one direction, it should be important enough to sign in both directions.

Zeffy

Quote from: EricJV95 on October 25, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
Now NORTHBOUND : NJTP NORTH (Newark - New York) from Del. Mem Bridge to Exit 5
                              95/NJTP NORTH (Newark - New York) from Exit 6 to Newark Airport (EXIT 14)
                              95/NJTP NORTH (Eastern Spur) Lincoln Tunnel - New York
                                                     (Western Spur) Fort Lee - G. Washington Br. - New York

Hmm, not quite, this is what it should be northbound:

Approaching Delaware Memorial Bridge - I-295 NORTH TO NJTP - New Jersey / New York City
From the Delaware Memorial Bridge to exit 7 - NJTP NORTH - Trenton*
Exit 7A - 9 - I-95, NJTP NORTH - New Brunswick
Exit 9 - 11 - I-95, NJTP NORTH - Woodbridge *
Exit 11-14 - I-95, NJTP NORTH - Newark
EASTERN SPUR - I-95, NJTP NORTH (east?) - Secaucus
WESTERN SPUR to GWB - I-95, NJTP NORTH (west?) - George Washington Bridge

*Either 7 or 7A directly leads into Trenton, therefore after 7A it should probably not be signed, feel free to discuss

** Alternatively after New Brunswick, sign Newark until after Exit 14

jeffandnicole

Or, we can just use New York. They're control cities, not "let's sign every medium sized city in the state" cities.

Edited because stat does not equal state"

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2014, 07:37:27 PM
Or, we can just use New York. They're control cities, not "let's sign every medium sized city in the stat cities.

I would like to at least think the state capital as well as the state's largest city should be signed. On the flip side, if you're heading south, what do you sign? Wilmington?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.