Bypasses that take longer than the routes that they are bypassing

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 28, 2018, 06:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

What are some bypasses that don't save time at all, in fact they take longer?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

abefroman329

TheHighwayMan3561

I-494: 42 miles between the I-94 junctions vs. 31 for 94 through the core cities - also, getting through two downtowns on 94 somehow has *less worse* traffic that 494 through Bloomington.

"But 494 isn't the official bypass!"  Sure, but it's a thought exercise.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

I-405 in the Seattle area, given that the Eastside suburbs are now highly developed.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on December 29, 2018, 01:04:17 AM
I-405 in the Seattle area, given that the Eastside suburbs are now highly developed.
I know your from the Seattle area but I've done the trip from Alderwood Mall to Tacoma before and the difference between taking I-5 through Seattle vs. taking I-405 around Seattle was only about a 2 or 3 minute difference. I think you add on something like 4 or 5 miles taking I-405.

kphoger

Outside rush hour, most bypasses of downtown Kansas City end up taking longer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

Corvallis bypass if you are trying to get through downtown heading N/S instead of W/E (which is faster).

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

TheStranger

In Metro Manila, EDSA was built as a bypass ring road for north-south traffic, yet from experience during most waking hours takes an hour longer to go through than simply heading straight through the City of Manila!  (This difference will be exacerbated even more when the Metro Manila Skyway extension opens next year)
Chris Sampang

Mapmikey

Don't know if more recent improvements have changed this, but US 15 Bypass of Leesburg Virginia was slower than 15 Business through town for many years...

The TX 349 bypass of Midland TX is 17 minutes longer per Google than TX 349 Business through Midland.

sparker

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2018, 01:29:11 PM
I know your from the Seattle area but I've done the trip from Alderwood Mall to Tacoma before and the difference between taking I-5 through Seattle vs. taking I-405 around Seattle was only about a 2 or 3 minute difference. I think you add on something like 4 or 5 miles taking I-405.

......heh, heh.......that's (obviously) not the only I-405 "bypass" that, at least for the past couple of decades or so, takes considerably longer to traverse than its parent; of course, I'm talking about metro L.A.  But in the next day or so I'll be first-hand utilizing both 5 and 405, since my itinerary on a ever-shortening trip hits the LAX area, Montebello, and Buena Park before hauling ass over Cajon up to the high desert.  Finally get a chance to look at the Santa Fe Springs/Norwalk construction zone.  But getting back to the thread topic -- yes, on a day-to-day basis, my own experience is that between its end points I-405 takes longer than I-5.  And while it's true that I-5 is 8 miles shorter over that distance than is I-405, the former does traverse several of the most notorious interchanges in SoCal in terms of regular congestion (CA 55, CA 22/57, I-710, ELA, CA 170 merge/NB only).  But 405 has whole stretches that regularly and famously back up even in off-peak hours: Irvine/Santa Ana/CA 55, CA 73 merge, the CA 22 coincidence and the I-605 interchange, I-110, South Bay/LAX, I-10, and the all-time S.O.B., 101/405!  One could surmise that because of its routing, I-405 was doomed to LOS E & F from the get-go! 

kphoger

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 29, 2018, 10:27:17 PM
The TX 349 bypass of Midland TX is 17 minutes longer per Google than TX 349 Business through Midland.

Wow, that is one crazy route TX-349 takes!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

^ Was intended as a conduit between Lubbock and I-20 towards Odessa and El Paso.  It's a spur off of the Ports-to-Plains Corridor which nominally follows US 87 through the region but has a spur that follows TX 349 and TX 158 to access Midland.

debragga

I-220 around Shreveport/Bossier takes a few minutes longer than just taking 20, but 220 is in MUCH better shape with much less traffic so it's worth it.

sprjus4

I-85 / I-73 around Greensboro as opposed to I-40 straight thru.
I-285 around Charlotte as opposed to I-85 or I-77 straight thru.
I-540 around Raleigh as opposed to I-40 or I-87 straight thru.
I-26 around Spartanburg as opposed to I-26 Business straight thru (plus the mainline is a construction / traffic nightmare right now, little traffic on the old route)
I-285 around Atlanta as opposed to I-20 / I-85 / I-75 straight thru.
I-405 around Los Angeles as opposed to I-5 straight thru. (though this is very debatable depending on traffic, which is all the time except between 10 PM - 6 AM)

texaskdog

The 85 MPH tollroad from Georgetown TX to Seguin TX.  Unless you're in the middle of Austin rush hour it's longer and expensive.

sprjus4

Also I-840 around Nashville as opposed to I-40 straight thru.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I'll leave it for others.

Flint1979

I-475 through Flint and I-675 through Saginaw are about two miles longer than taking I-75 around both cities.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on January 03, 2019, 12:51:06 AM
The 85 MPH tollroad from Georgetown TX to Seguin TX.  Unless you're in the middle of Austin rush hour it's longer and expensive.

I've hit traffic nearly every time I've driven through Austin, both week-day and week-end.  Plus I've hit traffic on the north end of San Antonio, especially arriving close to supper time (which was when I would commonly arrive through there).  At the time I'm typing this (just after noon on a week-day), Google Maps estimates that TX-130 would take only 5 minutes more than I-35 the whole way.  Those 5 minutes can easily get eaten up by thick traffic in Austin and/or San Antonio, and also by road construction or an accident.  That sort of delay is much less likely along the bypass.

My preferred route from Georgetown to Pearsall is actually TX-130 → I-10 → I-410 → I-35.  It tacks on another 5 minutes (according to the Goog), but it nicely avoids all downtown areas.  I cannot argue about its price tag, though...
Male pronouns, please.

jp the roadgeek

I-278 through NYC.  Unless the GW has a 2 hour wait, stay on I-95.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 04, 2019, 08:46:18 AM
I-278 through NYC.  Unless the GW has a 2 hour wait, stay on I-95.
That's another non bypass. It goes though NYC.

mrsman

Quote from: sparker on December 30, 2018, 02:37:31 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2018, 01:29:11 PM

......heh, heh.......that's (obviously) not the only I-405 "bypass" that, at least for the past couple of decades or so, takes considerably longer to traverse than its parent; of course, I'm talking about metro L.A.  But in the next day or so I'll be first-hand utilizing both 5 and 405, since my itinerary on a ever-shortening trip hits the LAX area, Montebello, and Buena Park before hauling ass over Cajon up to the high desert.  Finally get a chance to look at the Santa Fe Springs/Norwalk construction zone.  But getting back to the thread topic -- yes, on a day-to-day basis, my own experience is that between its end points I-405 takes longer than I-5.  And while it's true that I-5 is 8 miles shorter over that distance than is I-405, the former does traverse several of the most notorious interchanges in SoCal in terms of regular congestion (CA 55, CA 22/57, I-710, ELA, CA 170 merge/NB only).  But 405 has whole stretches that regularly and famously back up even in off-peak hours: Irvine/Santa Ana/CA 55, CA 73 merge, the CA 22 coincidence and the I-605 interchange, I-110, South Bay/LAX, I-10, and the all-time S.O.B., 101/405!  One could surmise that because of its routing, I-405 was doomed to LOS E & F from the get-go!

All true.  If one is making a long distance drive N-S in the LA area the further east the better without backtracking.  So if travelling between north of LA to south of LA: I-405 is disgusting, I-5 is horrendous, I-210 to I-605 is  horrible, I-210 to CA-57 is bad, CA-138 to I-15 is meh, etc. etc.

But in all seriousness, since most of the wealth in LA County tends to be along the western and coastal areas, those areas will have more economic activity and traffic.  So 405 is worse than 5.  The real bypass of 5 is a combination of freeways to the east (like 210 to 605 or 57) or bypassing the whole shebang altogether.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.