News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Temp US 6-50" in 1971 RMcN

Started by Kniwt, October 07, 2020, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Randomly thumbing through a "mini" 1971 Rand McNally, I was surprised to find a "Temp 6-50" shield on what appears to be Emma Park Road north of Price/Helper. Checking older editions, it doesn't look like US 6 was ever officially routed that way, so I'm curious what the story might be. (Or maybe it's just another random RMcN error, although it seems somebody specifically went to the trouble to put the shield there.)

sparker

Quote from: Kniwt on October 07, 2020, 10:46:50 AM
Randomly thumbing through a "mini" 1971 Rand McNally, I was surprised to find a "Temp 6-50" shield on what appears to be Emma Park Road north of Price/Helper. Checking older editions, it doesn't look like US 6 was ever officially routed that way, so I'm curious what the story might be. (Or maybe it's just another random RMcN error, although it seems somebody specifically went to the trouble to put the shield there.)

Just a wild guess -- that part of US 6 (formerly 6/50) that is ostensibly bypassed by the detour goes through some pretty rough territory -- through a gorge as well as some cliffside alignment.  Either a landslide happened back about 1970 (when the edition likely went to press) and the road was fully or partially blocked, or UDOT was simply doing a realignment and/or road repair and they deemed it best to keep as much traffic away during the construction period -- and alternate routes are not easy to come by in that neck of the woods (cf. the Thistle landslide farther west along that route about 12 years later).  But one would have to delve through UDOT records to determine precisely the reason for the detour. 

The Ghostbuster

I think US 50 should have remained co-designated with US 6 from Ely, NV to Grand Junction, CO. The portion of US 50 from Delta to Salina, UT should have had some other designation (perhaps remaining UT 26), and the freeway from Salina to Green River doesn't need a designation other than Interstate 70.

Rover_0

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 07, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
I think US 50 should have remained co-designated with US 6 from Ely, NV to Grand Junction, CO. The portion of US 50 from Delta to Salina, UT should have had some other designation (perhaps remaining UT 26), and the freeway from Salina to Green River doesn't need a designation other than Interstate 70.

You could also reroute US-50 along SR-260 and SR-24, creating an alternate to I-70.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

frankenroad

It may be an old wives tale, but I have often heard that map makers put small errors (often non-existent towns) on their maps to catch plagiarists/copyright violators.  Perhaps that's what happened here.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to that, or is it indeed an old wives tale?
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

hotdogPi

Quote from: frankenroad on October 08, 2020, 02:43:24 PM
It may be an old wives tale, but I have often heard that map makers put small errors (often non-existent towns) on their maps to catch plagiarists/copyright violators.  Perhaps that's what happened here.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to that, or is it indeed an old wives tale?

It was true until it was ruled in 1991 that they're not copyrightable.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

It's still done occasionally, I believe.  But yet, it certainly was a thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

will_e_777

That temporary 6/50 has to be the Emma Park and Kyune Pass road which goes around the canyon.

I wonder if the road through Price Canyon was damaged because of the rain and flooding from Tropical Storm Norma that occurred in September 1970 and was in process of being repaired.
Rocky Mountain man.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2020, 04:13:07 PM
It's still done occasionally, I believe.  But yet, it certainly was a thing.

For years, Gousha showed a town called Dorky just SW of Olathe, KS.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

moabdave

I do have vague memories of a landslide in Price Canyon forcing a detour along Emma Park road. Right as US-6 is ascending to the top of the canyon you can see a half-bridge that is almost surely a landslide repair. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Helper,+UT+84526/@39.8152712,-110.9388279,101m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x874e97cdd9a7632f:0x7e35790091fe4785!8m2!3d39.6841304!4d-110.8546053

rte66man

For years, Gousha showed the imaginary Dorky, KS near Gardner.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

hbelkins

Beatosu and Goblu.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JREwing78

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2023, 11:46:45 AM

Beatosu and Goblu.

Ah yes... famous enough for a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatosu_and_Goblu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.