News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

To Florida via I-95

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 18, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Late October, I'll be driving to FL from NYC.  I hope to get a lot of sign goodies...state-named shields, colored US shields, non-reflective button copy etc.

I'm especially interested in '61 state-named interstate shields in VA., old I-95 shields in DC and of course FL.

Anything I should get?

I already have this:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

1995hoo

If you're interested in old signs in DC, I recommend you make the effort to take some time to see them now because Dave Dildine of WTOP has reported that there is a sign replacement project slated for sometime this winter. I don't know exactly what's coming down, but his story strongly hinted that the legendary ancient sign bridge over I-66 near the Kennedy Center, the one with the fading button-copy signs and the signs covered with wood panels, will be replaced. I believe the button-copy signs on the Southwest—Southeast Freeway may be doomed as well.

In terms of an old I-95 shield in DC, perhaps the best sign is underneath the L'Enfant Promenade at 12th and D NW. It's mounted on a wall. IIRC it's a territory-named shield, too. Most of DC's shields are neutered, and in recent years they've replaced a bunch of the old non-neutered ones as part of sign replacements associated with the appearance of I-695 signs. They've been replacing a lot of signs in general–I work at Thomas Circle and within the past week they replaced a bunch of street signs all around the circle.

The octagonal "Do Not Enter" sign that looks like a stop sign is just down D Street from the I-95 shield mentioned above–across the street from the ramp to southbound I-395.

I believe there are still a couple of "DC-US" US Highway shields on LGSs on the outbound Roosevelt Bridge. I seldom get to look at the signs on there because I usually drive across it during rush hour.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.