2024 List of Potential Road Meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, October 01, 2023, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Hi, everyone!  October is here... so we're down to only three more months of 2023.  I figured I would, once again, create and maintain a list of road meets for this next calendar year.

For those of us who are on Facebook, a new group called Road Meets was created over the past week in which folks are welcome to share anything related to road meets of the past and future.  I'd like to give a shout out to Gribblenation, Tom Fearer, Doug Kerr, and Dan Murphy for serving as admins of that group.  Thank you for doing that!  :)  Here's the link to that group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/836455994788814

Even though we now have the Road Meets group on Facebook, I still think we need to keep a list of meets on this forum for multiple reasons.  Mainly, I'm thinking of the folks in our community who are not on Facebook.  I'll be monitoring the Facebook group as well as this forum to keep this list up to date as best as I can for 2024.

Here are the potential meets I'm aware of so far for 2024:

• New Orleans LA "national meet" - February 17-18
  • Atlanta GA "mini meet" - March 2
  • Bakersfield CA - April 13
  • Charlotte NC "city meet" (choose your own sightseeing) - April 20
  • Salem OR (?) - April 28
  • Southwest Pennsylvania (25-year anniversary meet - "SWPA25") - May 4
  • Meadville PA - June 15
  • Indianapolis IN - June 29
  • Michigan City IN - July 20
  • Berkeley Springs WV (MD/PA/VA/WV Quad State meet) - August 17
  • Reno / Carson City NV - September 21
  • Orlando FL - October 5
  • Duluth MN (?) - October 27
  • Brattleboro VT (?) - October or November
  • Austin TX - November 2
  • Milton DE Route 1/16 (?) - TBD

I think this captures all the tentative meets I've heard about so far.  If I've forgotten anything or if anyone is thinking of hosting a meet in 2024 that they haven't shared yet (and you're ready to share), please chime in and I will update the list accordingly.

I'm looking forward to our next year of road meets!
-A.J. from Michigan

Laura

CPZ has talked for years about putting together a Smith Island/Tangier Island Meet and I would love for this to be the year...

I'd also like to host a Baltimore "City Meet" sometime between 2024 and 2027, depending on how construction goes with the I-95 Express Toll Lanes northbound extension. Alps hosted the first Baltimore meet in 2010 and I hosted the second one in 2015. I think a city meet might be good for the third one so that newbies and veterans can see what they'd like in and around the city.

74/171FAN

I think that if I do any sort of Cranberry meet in western PA that it would not be until September 2024 at the earliest as Freedom Crider Rd is closed west of PA 989 until August 2024.

Of course, 3 western PA meets may be a bit too much saturation anyway.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm considering a second Duluth meet, with the tentative date of October 27. The centerpiece would be the new I-35/535/US 53 interchange with almost all work on the project likely complete by that date.

Other possible meet items are still TBD.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Quote from: Laura on October 17, 2023, 10:14:14 AM
CPZ has talked for years about putting together a Smith Island/Tangier Island Meet and I would love for this to be the year...

yes i want this to be the year.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2023, 09:11:47 PM

I want the cake.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2023, 09:13:33 PM

I want the cake.
The cake is a lie!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 17, 2023, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2023, 09:13:33 PM

I want the cake.
The cake is a lie!
Nah.  I have had the cake and it is delicious.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

A.J. Bertin

I'd also like to host a Baltimore "City Meet" sometime between 2024 and 2027, depending on how construction goes with the I-95 Express Toll Lanes northbound extension. Alps hosted the first Baltimore meet in 2010 and I hosted the second one in 2015. I think a city meet might be good for the third one so that newbies and veterans can see what they'd like in and around the city.

I would be very interested in attending a city meet in Baltimore at some point if that's feasible for me!  That's a city that I definitely want to spend more time exploring.
-A.J. from Michigan

Laura

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 17, 2023, 10:06:40 PM

I would be very interested in attending a city meet in Baltimore at some point if that's feasible for me!  That's a city that I definitely want to spend more time exploring.

Awesome! I promise that I will give you more than 2 months notice when I decide to host that meet!

jpi

The next meet I plan to host will be around Harrisburg when the Eisenhower interchange construction starts to ramp up so this may not be for a few years, I am also eyeing up the State Collage area with the "missing link" of US 322 finally seeing construction taking place in the next few years along with the I-80\ I-99 high speed interchange construction coming down the pike soon.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on October 18, 2023, 07:59:55 AM
The next meet I plan to host will be around Harrisburg when the Eisenhower interchange construction starts to ramp up so this may not be for a few years, I am also eyeing up the State Collage area with the "missing link" of US 322 finally seeing construction taking place in the next few years along with the I-80\ I-99 high speed interchange construction coming down the pike soon.

Thankfully you have me to scout for you.   :nod:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 18, 2023, 08:57:33 AM
Quote from: jpi on October 18, 2023, 07:59:55 AM

Thankfully you have me to scout for you.   :nod:
Well, depending on what the future holds for Steph and I and our current home, that could change in the next few years to where I will be able to do much more thorough scouting then I have been doing  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

I'm looking at hosting a Michigan City (New Buffalo to Town of Pines) meet in July/August.  Things to see would include the location of the original New Buffalo Welcome Center on US-12, the new double-tracked South Shore Line that used to run in 10th & 11th Streets, and SR-520 - so short, you can walk all of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Brandon on November 06, 2023, 04:08:54 PM
I'm looking at hosting a Michigan City (New Buffalo to Town of Pines) meet in July/August.  Things to see would include the location of the original New Buffalo Welcome Center on US-12, the new double-tracked South Shore Line that used to run in 10th & 11th Streets, and SR-520 - so short, you can walk all of it.

Luckily, I live in this area, so if you want to either cohost or scout out locations with me, you are more than welcome to PM me.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess 15 years is long enough for Indianapolis to not hold a meet.
If one of the locals don't want to do the honors, I'll assemble something in the summer (basically whichever month Brandon doesn't take for Michigan City).

Tour can include both I-69 @ I-465 construction jobs, I-65/70 split rebuild, the Old Washington St. Bridge over the White River, Idle Park, Madison Ave @ Morris St, Indy Artsgarden, and lastly...
I've got a real estate empire to claim!
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nwQWAhjmH9HbDby67
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rothman

Makes me wonder if Indy is too early for a meet given where construction stands.

jpi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 10, 2023, 10:35:23 AM
If one of the locals don't want to do the honors, I'll assemble something in the summer (basically whichever month Brandon doesn't take for Michigan City).

Tour can include both I-69 @ I-465 construction jobs, I-65/70 split rebuild, the Old Washington St. Bridge over the White River, Idle Park, Madison Ave @ Morris St, Indy Artsgarden, and lastly...
I will keep that in mind for going depending on which weekend you plan to have it
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 10, 2023, 10:35:23 AM

The last road meet in Indy was in 2009, so we are LONG OVERDUE for a road meet there! I was thinking about a two-day road meet down there sometime in either 2024 or 2025.

bandit957

I might be able to make it to Indy, but only if poo.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Laura

I'm thinking of hosting a road meet in late summer 2024 in Berkeley Springs, WV, to take a look at the new US 522 bypass being built there. It's currently scheduled to be completed September 25, 2024, so we would visit before it opens.

The focus of this meet would be in Washington County, MD and Morgan County, WV, so it's further east than the Cumberland meet. In Maryland we'd visit Sideling Hill as well as sites in Hancock and bridges in Williamsport. We'll also pop into PA briefly, making it a tri-state meet.

Edit to add: I could possibly make this a quad state meet and add VA...will need to work on the itinerary more to see if that's a possibility...

jpi

I will keep your meet in mind Laura, this would be around the time of my fall Hershey toy show so I may be passing through this area around that time. Been about 10 years since I was on US 522 in this area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I would not mind a hosting a pre-meet for that focusing on VA 37 in Winchester.

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 06, 2023, 11:16:59 AM
What's happened on VA 37?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Rothman on December 06, 2023, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 06, 2023, 11:16:59 AM
What's happened on VA 37?

Mainly to show the I-81 interchange and the current south end at SR 642.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.