News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 02:42:22 PM
There's 'renumbering' threads for US and I's how about IL state highways?
My wish list:

1. Give Randall/Orchard Rd an IL state #.
2. Reinstate IL-32 for the north/south IL-137.
3. Move US-41 off of Foster Av, to replace US-14 easternmost section past Peterson/Lincoln. Truncate US-14 at 'new' 41. Foster is just too narrow for a US highway, and has stop signs to boot!
4. Re-route IL-56 from eastern section of Butterfield Rd. to 22nd St/Cermak Rd. to Harlem/43 or Manheim/12-20-45.
5. Give Pulaski/Crawford a state #, at least south of I-55.
6. Name US-14 'NW Highway' past Crystal Lake to WI, instead of ending at Virginia St. Try to do same with other routes with commonly known street names: North Av, Milwaukee Av, Lake St, Ogden Av. [Within Chicago CSMA]

Just my 'dream'.  :sleep:

One was granted, IL-171 extended to I-90,  :D

Mine would be to restore the truncated routes and put numbers on all the unmarked state routes (Touhy, Dempster, Golf, McCormick, Willow/Palatine... This one is perhaps the biggest one).

hobsini2

Quote from: Crash_It on September 18, 2021, 03:39:22 AM
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 15, 2021, 02:42:22 PM
There's 'renumbering' threads for US and I's how about IL state highways?
My wish list:

1. Give Randall/Orchard Rd an IL state #.
2. Reinstate IL-32 for the north/south IL-137.
3. Move US-41 off of Foster Av, to replace US-14 easternmost section past Peterson/Lincoln. Truncate US-14 at 'new' 41. Foster is just too narrow for a US highway, and has stop signs to boot!
4. Re-route IL-56 from eastern section of Butterfield Rd. to 22nd St/Cermak Rd. to Harlem/43 or Manheim/12-20-45.
5. Give Pulaski/Crawford a state #, at least south of I-55.
6. Name US-14 'NW Highway' past Crystal Lake to WI, instead of ending at Virginia St. Try to do same with other routes with commonly known street names: North Av, Milwaukee Av, Lake St, Ogden Av. [Within Chicago CSMA]

Just my 'dream'.  :sleep:

One was granted, IL-171 extended to I-90,  :D

Mine would be to restore the truncated routes and put numbers on all the unmarked state routes (Touhy, Dempster, Golf, McCormick, Willow/Palatine... This one is perhaps the biggest one).
I would like to see:
1. IL 7 be truncated back to Theodore St & Larkin Ave in Joliet and then extended north along Weber Rd, Naper Blvd & Naperville Rd to Roosevelt Rd in Wheaton.  Cosign it with IL 38 west to County Farm Rd. Then turn north onto County Farm Rd and Barrington Rd ending at IL 59 in Barrington.  Theodore St goes back to local control.
2. Now I know someone will ask about 159th & Southwest Hwy because of Wish 1. Well, starting at IL 59 & Renwick Rd, a new state highway (Perhaps IL 183) runs east on Renwick Rd to IL 53.  IL 183 takes over the remaining section of former IL 7 on 159th St and Southwest Hwy ending at IL 50 Cicero Ave.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Quote from: Crash_It on September 18, 2021, 03:37:00 AM
The state roads through the Western suburbs are pretty good.

Strongly disagree:

1) IL 31 and IL 25 are very slow with too many central business districts.  Even with all of the stoplights and extra distance, Randall and Kirk/Farnsworth are faster.  IL 25 and IL 31 south of I-90 seems strong contenders for decommissioning.

2) Much of IL 47 is long overdue for additional lanes.  Parts of it will probably be one of those facilities that needs six lanes when the initial four-laning is finally completed.

3) US 20 versus Plank Road in Kane County - the county roadway is much better for through traffic and even had a partial bypass built for Burlington.  Still waiting for at least a partial bypass of Pingree Grove for US 20.

4) US 20 between Plank Road and the end of the Elgin Bypass - another candidate for a facility that might need 6 lanes when the initial widening (which is already overdue) finally happens.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 19, 2021, 11:17:17 PM

Strongly disagree:

1) IL 31 and IL 25 are very slow with too many central business districts.  Even with all of the stoplights and extra distance, Randall and Kirk/Farnsworth are faster.  IL 25 and IL 31 south of I-90 seems strong contenders for decommissioning.

2) Much of IL 47 is long overdue for additional lanes.  Parts of it will probably be one of those facilities that needs six lanes when the initial four-laning is finally completed.

3) US 20 versus Plank Road in Kane County - the county roadway is much better for through traffic and even had a partial bypass built for Burlington.  Still waiting for at least a partial bypass of Pingree Grove for US 20.

4) US 20 between Plank Road and the end of the Elgin Bypass - another candidate for a facility that might need 6 lanes when the initial widening (which is already overdue) finally happens.

If they're gonna decommission 25 and 31, I wish they'd done it before I spent the better part of a day clinching them this spring.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US20IL64

IL-53 designation should stay on the north Expressway between Dundee Rd/IL-68 and Lake-Cook Rd. And then go to Hicks Rd through Long Grove. So, the 'would have been 53' is not numbered for about a mile, just "To IL-53" south. It's left over from when the X-way ended at 68.

paulthemapguy

Strongly disagree:

Welcome to the Chicago suburbs.  The county roads and municipal arterials are almost always better alternatives than the heinously neglected state roads.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Hobart

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 20, 2021, 11:58:08 AM

Strongly disagree:

Welcome to the Chicago suburbs.  The county roads and municipal arterials are almost always better alternatives than the heinously neglected state roads.

I would like to say, as someone in the south suburbs in Cook County, the Cook County roads are just as terrible as the state ones. Every other county in Chicagoland you make a great point, but between the city and the Will County line, everything's equally bad.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

US20IL64

NW Cook seem to be better than West Cook, in that they are wide with turning lanes.
Seems like a different County in general. "Woodfield Co."

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Hobart on September 20, 2021, 03:22:17 PM
I would like to say, as someone in the south suburbs in Cook County, the Cook County roads are just as terrible as the state ones. Every other county in Chicagoland you make a great point, but between the city and the Will County line, everything's equally bad.

Point taken.  Anything is better than CDOT.  I think my thought applies mostly to the outer suburbs, or "exurbs."

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 20, 2021, 04:24:51 PM
Seems like a different County in general. "Woodfield Co."

Lol, Woodfield County.  I like that.

Crash_It

Strongly disagree:

What state roads in So Cook are in terrible shape? 1 just got resurfaced, 83 is in good shape as is 50, 43 and 394 is currently being resurfaced

JoePCool14

CCHD (which is the actual name of the department, not CDOT, unless you meant Chicago) roads are not great in my area. They've been resurfacing some roads, but there's still a lot that I'd consider in poor shape. There aren't usually many great upgrades going on either.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

paulthemapguy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 22, 2021, 08:59:57 AM
CCHD (which is the actual name of the department, not CDOT, unless you meant Chicago) roads are not great in my area. They've been resurfacing some roads, but there's still a lot that I'd consider in poor shape. There aren't usually many great upgrades going on either.

I did mean Chicago, as an example of where the municipal roads are terrible compared to the county roads.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 22, 2021, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 22, 2021, 08:59:57 AM

I did mean Chicago, as an example of where the municipal roads are terrible compared to the county roads.

I wouldn't call Cook County stellar by any means, but CDOT is the worst. If you live in the city, plan to replace your tires at least a year or two more frequently than you would otherwise. Also, stoplights coordination... no such thing there!

One of the worst things about Cook County is the highways website, which, somehow, is worse than IDOT's website! If they update it once a year just when the projects list is released annually, that is about it!

US20IL64

IL-19, Irving Park, in Chicago is different every year, torn often much for pipes, etc. While Addison St, is smooth, but narrow, maybe the Cubs pay for it?  :-D

Same with US 14, Peterson Av, always tore up between each summer, while Devon Av is usually ok. And in the rich areas, like Sauganash, 14 is usually smooth.

Regarding Cook Co, Grand Av in Franklin Park is fairly well kept up. Just needs a few more left turn lanes.

ET21

That's probably due to Chicago replacing the 110 year old pipes underneath the streets over the next few years
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 23, 2021, 12:04:58 AMSame with US 14, Peterson Av, always tore up between each summer, while Devon Av is usually ok. And in the rich areas, like Sauganash, 14 is usually smooth.
As I recall, they completely closed Devon for several blocks in Edgebrook two summers ago.  It was a pain, especially for anyone trying to get to the Kennedy from the Far North Side, but at least it was done in one summer.

Hobart

Quote from: Crash_It on September 21, 2021, 12:00:37 PM

Strongly disagree:

What state roads in So Cook are in terrible shape? 1 just got resurfaced, 83 is in good shape as is 50, 43 and 394 is currently being resurfaced

IL-43 south of Vollmer is quite bad, but I'm mainly talking about the roads maintained by the Cook County Highway Department.

175th street in Tinley Park has been notoriously bad for a literal decade, 167th street and 171st street have the standard bumpiness from being paved with concrete, Ridgeland north of 175th is almost as bad as 175th itself, and there are two "temporary" signal installations that have been up for a decade or more. One still uses incandescent bulbs. It's so bad that the Village of Tinley Park got Cook County to turn over 175th and Ridgeland after some work is done.

paulthemapguy

A traffic signal modernization program has swept across Joliet, especially downtown.  A lot of mast arms have been revised to a setup that includes one signal head per lane, and yellow-bordered backplates are now widespread.  Sadly, this means a lot of the classic Illinois-style truss assemblies are disappearing.

ET21

Yeah I've been noticing that once traffic lights are replaced these days, we get the yellow background plates. It's still very isolated here but I'm noticing a few more each month
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Hobart

Honestly, I'll miss the old style truss setups, but I am somewhat looking forward to the yellow stripes on the edges of the signals. Yeah it's losing a bit of personality compared to other states, but it certainly works at increasing visibility. Maybe we'll even get back plates with yellow strips for signals mounted on pedestals, like the rest of the state does.

I'm hoping the state cheaps out too and puts the yellow strips onto the edges of some really old signals, like this one in Taylorville in 2013. I just like the way it looks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5586572,-89.2982245,3a,53.9y,242.97h,81.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7Q58JjcGPSy5EeMHD0CoaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ilpt4u

D9 IDOT did the SoIL Stoplights a few months ago with the Yellow borders added to the backplates, most places I've noticed, anyway. I'll keep my eyes peeled if there are stragglers

Local jurisdiction signals generally have not yet adopted the Yellow backplate borders, yet anyway

I feel like the Springfield IDOT District has been using the Yellow borders on the backplates for years, fwiw

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 15, 2021, 07:34:05 PM
Local jurisdiction signals generally have not yet adopted the Yellow backplate borders, yet anyway

Depends on the jurisdiction.  Given all the recent signal replacement projects Kane County may now have more reflective than non-reflective backplates on county-jurisdiction roads.  Kane County also seems to be using them for almost all recent signal projects.

EDIT:  McHenry County may also be trending towards more frequent use of the retroreflective backplates.  They used them on the Randall Road rebuild.  Might see a lot more if the rumored flashing yellow arrow projects come through.  Though with the Illinois Standard Specs making retroreflective backplates default, it is likely the retroreflective backplates will spread among local signals.

US20IL64

There are now flashing yellow left-turn signals on Randall Rd, in Batavia/Geneva. And in Yorkville area.

Revive 755

IDOT has posted the Type Size and Location plans on their website for replacing I-270 over the Mississippi River: 
EB Bridge
WB Bridge

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 16, 2021, 12:54:12 PM
IDOT has posted the Type Size and Location plans on their website for replacing I-270 over the Mississippi River: 
EB Bridge
WB Bridge

I remember when the original opened after all the lawsuits. All the traffic was diverted at Old Chain of Rocks (former Bypass US-40) west of Alton Road.

At least this one will have shoulders. While it reduces the overall count of pylons, not really an issue since boats can't navigate through here, the design is typical design/build generic with 2 longer spans to eliminate the mentioned pylons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.