Newburyport, Mass area meet - Fall 2019

Started by Dougtone, February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on July 08, 2019, 04:07:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2019, 03:54:07 PM
I'm not keenly aware of the geography of that location, but I do know that hotel rooms around Nashville fill up pretty fast for NFL games. Sometimes as far east as Lebanon.

Nashville's NFL stadium is pretty close to the center. Gillette Stadium is halfway between Boston and Providence; Newburyport is on the other side of the Boston metro.
Additionally, the game against the Cleveland Browns is scheduled for Sunday afternoon (4:25 PM).  Pre- and/or post-game lodging between Boston & Providence would be more of an issue for Saturday and possibly Sunday.  Not so much for Friday night.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Dougtone

I've thrown up a Facebook event page as well for the meet, at least something quick and dirty for now.
https://www.facebook.com/events/441215349802747/

I picked a place that serves pizza for lunch (Famous Pizza --- they have updated their building since the latest Google Street View images), but serves other types of food like roast beef, burgers, wraps, fried seafood. Essentially, a place for a quick lunch before the tour.

Dougtone

An update!

I've scouted out for the meet around Newburyport again (in mid-May and now September) and I'm putting some finishing touches on a meet itinerary. I should have the itinerary available for public consumption sometime next week.

74/171FAN

I am currently planning to come to this meet, but I have not been great with myself planning things lately.  I will hopefully work on my trip plans in the next few days.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

DrivingFAZt

My twin daughters turn 10 that day, so I'm supposed to take them out for their birthdays... There's NO WAY I'm missing this meetup though. I could probably bring them along and just tell them we're going out for pizza. A large cheese pizza would keep them preoccupied for hopefully an hour.

Would you guys mind doing me a solid though? When I walk in with two twin girls, could you maybe go directly into singing "happy birthday", or at least wish them a happy birthday? Maybe pretend that you're all there specifically for the sole reason of celebrating their birthdays. It would go a long way to helping me out. If someone wouldn't mind purchasing their large cheese pizza, so that it's hot and ready for them when we walk through the door, that would also help a lot too (I'll reimburse you obviously)... That's it though. Once we get that initial wish in, we can get right back to the main event (i.e. discussing the agenda). I just don't want to let them down again.

Also, I recently moved to Lowell, and the "temporary" bridge over The Merrimack (The Rourke Bridge) interests me greatly. I read that the city is 5-7 years away from replacing it. I'd love to get some discussion and debate going with regards to that bridge and it's potential replacement.
"The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must..."

PHLBOS

Heads Up for those using I-495 in Haverhill (beyond MA 213 interchange) in the vicinity of Exits 48 & 49 to/from the meet:

I-495 Bridge Replacement Project

Bold emphasis added below:
Quote from: MassDOT.gov PageThis Design-Build project is replacing and widening existing bridges carrying Interstate 495 northbound and southbound over the Merrimack River in Haverhill to address structural and functional deficiencies. The project area extends from approximately Exit 48 south of the bridges to approximately Exit 49 north of the bridges.
MassDOT's contractor will begin demolition of the existing I-495 Northbound bridge in #Haverhill today, Monday, October 7. Demolition will occur Monday through Friday from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.  Deck removal is anticipated to continue for the next 4 to 6 weeks. Advance warning signs will be posted in case of any planned lane closures. For more information, visit the website at www.mass.gov/i495haverhillbridge.

MassDOT's contractor will close a single right lane on I-495 North in Haverhill between Exits 48 and 49 during daytime hours from Tuesday, October 8, through Thursday, October 10. The closures will occur each day between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM. They are necessary to provide protection from the ongoing demolition of the existing northbound bridge. The regulatory speed limit on I-495 northbound has been reduced to 55 MPH through the work zone.

The contractor is currently building the western half of the new northbound bridge. Once the western half of the new bridge is complete, northbound traffic will be shifted onto it, and the existing northbound bridge will be demolished to make room for constructing the eastern half of the new northbound bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: DrivingFAZt on October 07, 2019, 01:53:47 PM
My twin daughters turn 10 that day, so I'm supposed to take them out for their birthdays... There's NO WAY I'm missing this meetup though. I could probably bring them along and just tell them we're going out for pizza. A large cheese pizza would keep them preoccupied for hopefully an hour.

Would you guys mind doing me a solid though? When I walk in with two twin girls, could you maybe go directly into singing "happy birthday", or at least wish them a happy birthday? Maybe pretend that you're all there specifically for the sole reason of celebrating their birthdays. It would go a long way to helping me out. If someone wouldn't mind purchasing their large cheese pizza, so that it's hot and ready for them when we walk through the door, that would also help a lot too (I'll reimburse you obviously)... That's it though. Once we get that initial wish in, we can get right back to the main event (i.e. discussing the agenda). I just don't want to let them down again.

Also, I recently moved to Lowell, and the "temporary" bridge over The Merrimack (The Rourke Bridge) interests me greatly. I read that the city is 5-7 years away from replacing it. I'd love to get some discussion and debate going with regards to that bridge and it's potential replacement.
I cannot really sanction skipping children's birthdays for a road meet.

froggie

^ Normally I'd agree, but you gotta give him credit for trying to combine the two.

One option for him would be to attend the lunch part with the twins and skip the tour.  That's what I'm leaning towards myself since I'll need to be back home at a decent hour.

signalman

Seriously dude?  If you're being serious and honest, then your priorities are a little fucked up.  However, considering this is your first post, I smell a troll.  Does anyone in the road community know you?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on October 07, 2019, 09:35:42 PM

It would be best to bring up the idea to them personally before just taking them somewhere they would not really want to go.  It is definitely best to let them dictate what they want to do on their birthdays.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hotdogPi

I am planning on going. However, I don't drive, and it would take quite a while for me to take the bus there. Would someone be willing to pick me up at one of the exits on I-495 and/or drop me off afterwards? (PM me for which exit. I don't want to give away my city/town where anyone on the internet can see it, and I don't want to give away my exact location to anyone at all.) (If you're going back a different way from the way you came, it is possible that two different people will pick me up and drop me off.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

DrivingFAZt

Yes, you guys are right... I am completely new to this forum, but I do work in the field, so this kind of stuff is right up my ally. I was psyched to go, but the timing couldn't be any worse! I probably wouldn't have ended up forcing my kids to go, but in the moment, I wasn't sure if this was going to be my only opportunity, so I was basically just firing from the hip and trying to make it work. Any chance there will be another meetup in this area in the future??
"The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must..."

froggie

There tends to be at least one or two a year somewhere in New England.

cl94

This. Hell, I feel a little bad missing a family function in Buffalo for this meet and I was given express permission to miss it because I live so far away (the meet is 1-2 hours closer, anyway).

There's a meet or two a year in New England. A Berkshires meet is likely in 2020-21 (once I have a chance to scout it out), so you won't have to wait too long.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

Quote from: DrivingFAZt on October 08, 2019, 07:54:26 AM
Yes, you guys are right... I am completely new to this forum, but I do work in the field, so this kind of stuff is right up my ally. I was psyched to go, but the timing couldn't be any worse! I probably wouldn't have ended up forcing my kids to go, but in the moment, I wasn't sure if this was going to be my only opportunity, so I was basically just firing from the hip and trying to make it work. Any chance there will be another meetup in this area in the future??

There will also be a YouTube video of this meet to my understanding, so while it's not the same as being there, it'll whet your appetite about what happens at a road meet.

hbelkins

We've had kids at road meets before. Chris Lokken has brought his daughter, and Ed Szuba has brought his son, to name two I know of. However, I don't think I would try to substitute a road meet for a promised birthday celebration. I've had to miss meets before for family functions -- birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, sick pets, wife recovering from surgery -- and that's just had to happen. Doubt the kids would react well to a room full of strangers, anyway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on October 08, 2019, 07:02:40 AM
I am planning on going. However, I don't drive, and it would take quite a while for me to take the bus there. Would someone be willing to pick me up at one of the exits on I-495 and/or drop me off afterwards? (PM me for which exit. I don't want to give away my city/town where anyone on the internet can see it, and I don't want to give away my exact location to anyone at all.) (If you're going back a different way from the way you came, it is possible that two different people will pick me up and drop me off.)
Considering your sig says UMass Lowell student, I think we have an idea...

froggie

Dropping myself back to a "maybe" for this.  I might have to work, but I won't know until end of next week.

Alps

I'm now on assignment to Portland driving back and forth every week for a little while, so I will just catch the sights on one or more of my drives up.

dgolub

Laura and Mike's baby shower was the day before my niece's birthday party.  I avoided missing either one by driving back and forth between Mineola and Bel Air in one day, about 400 miles.  Yes, I'm crazy.

signalman

Quote from: dgolub on October 12, 2019, 08:23:58 AM

Laura and Mike's baby shower was the day before my niece's birthday party.  I avoided missing either one by driving back and forth between Mineola and Bel Air in one day, about 400 miles.  Yes, I'm crazy.
400 in a day isn't all that crazy, although different people have different thresholds for what they're willing to drive in a day.  Had I been invited, I'd most certainly have done it as a day trip (I'm in the NYC suburbs).

cl94

Quote from: signalman on October 12, 2019, 05:31:43 PM
400 in a day isn't all that crazy, although different people have different thresholds for what they're willing to drive in a day.

Oh, definitely. I've done 1,000 in a day on one occasion, 8-900 on a couple others. It's not something I LIKE doing, but I have DONE it. I don't consider anything under 450 to be particularly crazy unless the entire thing is slow-ish surface roads.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

deathtopumpkins

Y'all are tame. I've done 1,354 miles in one day before.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

signalman

My record was around 1500 when I was in my 20s.  I don't have that kind of stamina anymore as I close in on 40.  I will do up to 1000 in a day out of necessity, but I try to keep my days at about 700 max.  The older I get, the less I enjoy driving when it's dark.  Also, this time of year with deer in to the rut, night driving can truly be dangerous.  Originally I was going to leave super early Saturday morning and drive up to Newburyport in one shot.  After thinking about that some, I decided that perhaps the risk wasn't worth saving a night on lodging.  So instead I will take a leisurely drive up to MA on Friday.  I'm staying out in Sturbridge both nights, so I will have to drive out to the motel in the dark on Saturday evening.  I'm hoping that there will be enough traffic out that deer won't be too much of a concern.

cl94

Quote from: signalman on October 15, 2019, 01:22:39 PM
The older I get, the less I enjoy driving when it's dark.  Also, this time of year with deer in to the rut, night driving can truly be dangerous.  Originally I was going to leave super early Saturday morning and drive up to Newburyport in one shot.  After thinking about that some, I decided that perhaps the risk wasn't worth saving a night on lodging.  So instead I will take a leisurely drive up to MA on Friday.  I'm staying out in Sturbridge both nights, so I will have to drive out to the motel in the dark on Saturday evening.  I'm hoping that there will be enough traffic out that deer won't be too much of a concern.

I'm seriously thinking about doing something similar, except my pre-meet night would likely be closer in (maybe reward night in Danvers?). I could make it there in 3.5 hours from home, but that would require that I don't do or clinch anything on the way and I certainly don't want to do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.