News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Freeways that never got built

Started by Voyager, February 03, 2009, 03:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle14410

The way things are going.....The North-South Freeway in Spokane, WA will probably never get finished!

NWI_Irish96

In Indianapolis, I-69 was originally planned to continue southwest past I-465 to the I-65/70 north split.

In South Bend, there was to be an "Inner Loop" made out of the existing Madison, Eddy, Sample and Chapin streets but only the SE corner ever got built.

The original Interstate plan had included a route from Elkhart, IN, to Kalamazoo, MI, that was never built.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 13, 2013, 04:13:13 PM
In Indianapolis, I-69 was originally planned to continue southwest past I-465 to the I-65/70 north split.

In South Bend, there was to be an "Inner Loop" made out of the existing Madison, Eddy, Sample and Chapin streets but only the SE corner ever got built.

The original Interstate plan had included a route from Elkhart, IN, to Kalamazoo, MI, that was never built.

I wish they built the 69 route.  I didn't know about the other two, interesting! 

NE2

Originally it was to be the Chicago-Detroit connection (1943):

But for whatever reason it was not removed when a separate freeway (now I-94) was added west of the Zoo (1947):
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

Cabiness, was it really planned as a full freeway? I'd be interested to see such plans. I know that the SE corner is freeway-like, with an interchange on each side of the St. Joseph River, but I can't imagine other grade separations and interchanges squeezed in along that route.

english si

Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2013, 05:02:45 PMBut for whatever reason it was not removed when a separate freeway (now I-94) was added west of the Zoo (1947):
It was approved as I-67 in August '57, but disappears when they add miles to the system in November that year.
Quote<1947 map>
The freeway along the US 6 corridor in PA (I-84 in 1957 plans) on that map wasn't built - I-80 being built across the middle of the state instead.

NE2

Quote from: english si on August 13, 2013, 05:24:04 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2013, 05:02:45 PMBut for whatever reason it was not removed when a separate freeway (now I-94) was added west of the Zoo (1947):
It was approved as I-67 in August '57, but disappears when they add miles to the system in November that year.
It was actually shifted east, becoming part of I-69.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Interstatefan78

What about I-278 from Elizabeth to Springfield and ultimately  Morristown the only remains to this are the wide medians on I-78 from exit 48-49 and a grading for I-78 East to I-278 East ramp on the current exit 49A ramp
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-278_NJ/
:D  :-D

Alps

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on August 21, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
What about I-278 from Elizabeth to Springfield and ultimately  Morristown the only remains to this are the wide medians on I-78 from exit 48-49 and a grading for I-78 East to I-278 East ramp on the current exit 49A ramp
http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-278_NJ/
:D  :-D
Don't forget the grading at US 1! But that may go away if they complete that interchange.

31E

In Tennessee I'm tempted to include the northern half of TN 840, but I think 10 years is too early to say "never got built". Apparently in the late 1960's there were was a proposal for a new Interstate connecting Dyersburg and Jackson (I-340?), which was never built but roughly corresponds to the current US 412 corridor. At the same time there was another proposal for an Interstate connecting Dyersburg and Clarksville (I-42 or I-224?), which never came close to being built. If those two Interstates were built, that would come to a grand total of three Interstates for Dyersburg, which is a lot of connections for a town with a population of 17,000. Clarksville is much bigger, but I would think a completed 840 (which wasn't proposed until the 1980's) would be more useful for them than a freeway to Dyersburg.

froggie

@31E:  the 1968 Federal Aid Highway Act added 1500 miles to the authorized Interstate system.  The two proposals you mention were two of Tennessee's request submissions...there were also proposals submitted for a Memphis riverfront Interstate (presumably tying into the ghost ramps at I-40 Exit 1) and the "Central Freeway" in Chattanooga (my guess is something along/near Riverside Dr and Amnicola Hwy).  None of Tennessee's submissions were approved.

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 13, 2013, 04:51:58 PM

I wish they built the 69 route.  I didn't know about the other two, interesting! 

It would have been nice... However it may be far too expensive and with improvements to I-70 and the connection to northbound (counterclockwise) I-465 towards Castleton, it wouldn't be feasable. Plus the enviros and nimby crowd would never stand for it. Also the One time planned freeway to run along the west side of downtown near west street would have been nice as well. especially in the light of I-65/70 now having to be shut down for 3 months to lower pavement on several under-height bridges. But with the new convention center and Lucas Oil complex a west side downtown expressway is no longer even possible. Looking at the ramps from I-65 to West street/Martin Luther King Jr Street. it is obvious that this was a plan at one time, but it got the ax at some point.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

mgk920

Weren't all of the major highways radiating outward from I-465, including US 31 to the north and what is now I-69 to the south, originally planned to continue 'in' to the downtown area?

Mike

roadman65

I know that I-74 was hence the freeway stubs at both ends.  The one on the west, though, recently removed in favor of a fully directional interchange with flyovers has the stub removed and now US 136 and Crawfordville Road are now continuous with the removal.  I am not sure of I-69, although it does transition into Binford Boulevard.  Whether there were plans to upgrade the Binford arterial to interstate grade freeway or not is unsure to me.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

Quote from: roadman65 on September 03, 2013, 11:33:32 AM
I know that I-74 was hence the freeway stubs at both ends.  The one on the west, though, recently removed in favor of a fully directional interchange with flyovers has the stub removed and now US 136 and Crawfordville Road are now continuous with the removal.  I am not sure of I-69, although it does transition into Binford Boulevard.  Whether there were plans to upgrade the Binford arterial to interstate grade freeway or not is unsure to me.

At least part of it was proposed as Interstate 165:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwayhistory/data/page05.cfm

(That link also has MANY other maps relating to Interstate cancellations in other cities)
Chris Sampang

silverback1065

Quote from: TheStranger on September 03, 2013, 01:42:45 PM

(That link also has MANY other maps relating to Interstate cancellations in other cities)

I don't think the 74 stub was a stub at all, it was more of an easy freeway gateway to Speedway and in turn IMS. 

codyg1985

Quote from: 31E on August 30, 2013, 10:44:26 PM
In Tennessee I'm tempted to include the northern half of TN 840, but I think 10 years is too early to say "never got built". Apparently in the late 1960's there were was a proposal for a new Interstate connecting Dyersburg and Jackson (I-340?), which was never built but roughly corresponds to the current US 412 corridor. At the same time there was another proposal for an Interstate connecting Dyersburg and Clarksville (I-42 or I-224?), which never came close to being built. If those two Interstates were built, that would come to a grand total of three Interstates for Dyersburg, which is a lot of connections for a town with a population of 17,000. Clarksville is much bigger, but I would think a completed 840 (which wasn't proposed until the 1980's) would be more useful for them than a freeway to Dyersburg.

That does explain why US 51 northeast of Dyersburg was upgraded to a interstate-grade freeway long before I-69 was proposed. As for US 412, it is almost a freeway, but not quite. FWIW, I-40 trailblazers appear along US 51 and 412 around Dyersburg.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 03, 2013, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on September 03, 2013, 01:42:45 PM

I don't think the 74 stub was a stub at all, it was more of an easy freeway gateway to Speedway and in turn IMS. 

I-74 stubs are not stubs. I-74 wsa never set to go through downtown at anytime. that is just the way that the interstates were terminated at that time. on the 74/465 interchange to the southeast, I-74 lanes approaching have been restriped to direct through traffic to the I-465 flyover and diagonal ramps. A good decision.

Also with regard to I-69. The I-169 proposal was never really a good idea, unless it was meant to connect to downtown indy at the "North Split" interchange. There are still ghost ramps and earthwork evidence of this visible to this day of the planned I-69 downtown extension. It is too bad that it wasn't built because it would have been a good freeway link to have. It would have however plowed through and divided a heavily populated urban neighborhood as it transitioned over to the Binford corridor. Besides another 2di through downtown would only increase the already choked traffic volume to near gridlock. Best to leave I-69 to the east along the 465 loop.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Mark68

The southern part of CA 55 in Costa Mesa. I believe it was eventually to connect to PCH (where there is an interchange).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Mark68 on September 05, 2013, 04:22:42 AM
The southern part of CA 55 in Costa Mesa. I believe it was eventually to connect to PCH (where there is an interchange).

There are plans -- vague plans -- to potentially finish it via a cut-and-cover tunnel.

sdmichael

Quote from: Mark68 on September 05, 2013, 04:22:42 AM

I have a sketch of the proposed Pacific Coast Freeway (SR-1) and Newport Freeway (SR-55) interchange somewhere. I might have to post it on my website.

pctech

I-410, the bypass loop around New Orleans was cancelled due to environmental and cost considerations. The current I-310 and 510 exist on part of the proposed route The federal  money was diverted to help build I-49 in Louisiana I think. There was also the proposed "French Quarter" riverfront freeway which was cancelled as well....good think too, terrible idea!

Revive 755

Quote from: 31E on August 30, 2013, 10:44:26 PM

IIRC, there was an extension of the I-155 corridor proposed to Jackson as part of the deal that traded a Mississippi River crossing for I-24 for the I-155 bridge.  I think one of the old newspaper articles regarding it is linked somewhere in the forum.

EDIT:  Related old newspaper article regarding proposals for tollways near Dyersburg:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xOkrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tgUGAAAAIBAJ&dq=interstate-155%20-ad&pg=5695%2C1422502

ChoralScholar

I-30 between Little Rock and Texarkana.  lol

"Turn down... on the blue road...."

ap70621

Not sure if anyone mentioned NJ 14. I believe it was to run from NJ 23 around Kinnelon to Westchester County, NY via a new bridge over the Hudson.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.