News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfwmapper

Right to work and at-will are different concepts. Right to work means that an employee can not be forced to join a union or pay dues as a condition of employment. At-will means that an employer can fire an employee for almost any reason (certain reasons like racial discrimination are illegal of course) or no reason at all.

US71

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 30, 2015, 09:19:19 PM
Right to work and at-will are different concepts. Right to work means that an employee can not be forced to join a union or pay dues as a condition of employment. At-will means that an employer can fire an employee for almost any reason (certain reasons like racial discrimination are illegal of course) or no reason at all.

I always hear it as "Right to Work", not "at-will".  Wal-Mart uses "Right to work"  to justify terminating anyone at any time (especially if you mention unions).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

yakra

Quoteuses "Right to work"  to justify terminating anyone at any time
Move along; no doublethink here!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

galador

It looks like there may finally be a date for the opening of the stretch in Chaffee Crossing: July 14.

Quote"It's finally here,"  [Ivy Owen, Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority executive director] said. "There's going to be traffic on it in July. We don't know whether to call it ribbon cutting or dedication, but the fact is on July 14, we're going to have a ceremony opening that highway."

If the highway opens earlier than July 14, "we'll just have a dedication ceremony,"  Owen said.

He expects members of the Arkansas State Highway Commission and possibly the governor to attend.

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on May 06, 2014, 05:36:30 PM
We are still projecting a fall completion for this project AND have discussed a "ride before you drive" event to give folks a preview of the facility before it opens to traffic. We will be coordinating this with the Ft. Chaffee Redevelopment Authority. More info as it becomes available!
Quote from: galador on June 22, 2015, 09:20:12 AM
It looks like there may finally be a date for the opening of the stretch in Chaffee Crossing: July 14.

AHTD, is a "ride before you drive" event still a possibility?

O Tamandua

Man!

Due to the twin Red River floods, I'm hearing:

- The U.S. 259 bridge between DeKalb, TX and Idabel, OK is destroyed (I've seen pictures).
- The Hwy 78 bridge above Bonham, TX has a heavily damaged entry. (Pictures are out there of that, too.)
- There may be Arkansas-side damage at the Index (Hwy 71) bridge with the second round of flooding predicted late this week.
- Hwy 8 (Foreman, AR - New Boston, TX) would likely have to close as well...no word on the condition of that bridge.

No one could have predicted the wettest months in Texas and Oklahoma history, but it's a pity there isn't a strong I-49 bridge in place now.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on June 22, 2015, 11:51:14 AM
Quote from: AHTD on May 06, 2014, 05:36:30 PM
We are still projecting a fall completion for this project AND have discussed a "ride before you drive" event to give folks a preview of the facility before it opens to traffic. We will be coordinating this with the Ft. Chaffee Redevelopment Authority. More info as it becomes available!
Quote from: galador on June 22, 2015, 09:20:12 AM

AHTD, is a "ride before you drive" event still a possibility?

I would be interested...just need fresh batteries for my camera :)

rte66man

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 22, 2015, 03:56:48 PM
Man!

- The U.S. 259 bridge between DeKalb, TX and Idabel, OK is destroyed (I've seen pictures).
- The Hwy 78 bridge above Bonham, TX has a heavily damaged entry. (Pictures are out there of that, too.)

I couldn't figure out where our local FOX station was referring to when they said the OK78 bridge near Tishomingo.  Looks like they had the wrong segment.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

O Tamandua

Quote from: rte66man on June 23, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Quote from: O Tamandua on June 22, 2015, 03:56:48 PM
Man!

I couldn't figure out where our local FOX station was referring to when they said the OK78 bridge near Tishomingo.  Looks like they had the wrong segment.

Hwy. 78 Red River bridge north of Bonham, TX:

Bridge over Washita River (south of Tishomingo) which feeds into Lake Texoma, which feeds into the Red, Sunday:

O Tamandua

bugo

US71

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 23, 2015, 01:48:41 PM
BTW, on a happier note...July 14th, 2015: http://swtimes.com/news/i-49-opening-finally-here-fcra-boss-says

If there's no pre-drive, I'll be there on the 14th. Who's with me? Than we can do lunch at Miss Anna's   ;)

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

US71

robbones

US71

It has been announced that the dedication ceremony for the Barling-Fort Smith segment will be July 14, 2015, 10:00 am at the Hwy. 22 overpass in Barling.

O Tamandua

U.S. 71 closed for 2 1/2 miles at Index, AR (Red River crossing), AGAIN.

http://txktoday.com/news/highway-71-closed-in-both-directions-at-red-river/

If I-49 is ever built between TXK and FSM, I hope lessons can be learned to protect against this happening on that future bridge.

O Tamandua

I saw where the road appears to be now striped now between Hwy 72 (south end) and route 34 (north end, straight west of where Glasgow meets Highlands) on the future Bella Vista Bypass.  Anyone heard when that section is supposed to open?  Thank you in advance.

iBallasticwolf2

Hopefully we can get some pictures of the new Bella Vista bypass.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 26, 2015, 07:31:24 PM

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
Again?

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on July 05, 2015, 12:18:23 AM

Again?

Nothing up my sleeve, PRESTO! Looks a little wet to me.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

O Tamandua

Quote from: rte66man on July 05, 2015, 08:56:09 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 05, 2015, 12:18:23 AM

Again?

Nothing up my sleeve, PRESTO! Looks a little wet to me.

"I gotta get another HAT", or

"Whoops! Don't know my own strength."

(Or: "Whoops!  We need a new ROAD.")

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2015, 11:29:41 PM
It has been announced that the dedication ceremony for the Barling-Fort Smith segment will be July 14, 2015, 10:00 am at the Hwy. 22 overpass in Barling.

The July 9 AHTD Information Release confirms that the ribbon cutting ceremony will take place on July 14 at 10:00 a.m., but it still leaves a little room for drama as to when it will open to traffic by stating that it is expected to open on traffic on the 14th, as well:

WHAT:  Ribbon cutting ceremony for the new location of Highway 549 (Future I-49) across Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith. The road is expected to open to traffic that day.
WHEN:  Tuesday, July 14 at 10:00 am.
WHERE:  The event will take place on the new location of Highway 549 over Highway 22. From just east of the Barling Interchange of Highways 22/59, enter the new on ramp to the event site. Police units will be on site to direct and park vehicles.

Gov. Hutchinson will be among the dignitaries:

WHO:  Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, Highway Commissioners, AHTD Director, Fort Smith Mayor Sandy Sanders, Barling Mayor Jerry Barling, Sebastian County Judge David Hudston, Chaffee Redevelopment Authority Executive Director Ivy Owen, Fort Smith Area Chamber of Commerce officials, other local officials and business leaders.

Maybe Gov. Hutchinson will give some lip service to building the Arkansas River bridge as the next step.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on July 11, 2015, 03:36:02 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2015, 11:29:41 PM

The July 9 AHTD Information Release confirms that the ribbon cutting ceremony will take place on July 14 at 10:00 a.m., but it still leaves a little room for drama as to when it will open to traffic by stating that it is expected to open on traffic on the 14th, as well:

WHAT:  Ribbon cutting ceremony for the new location of Highway 549 (Future I-49) across Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith. The road is expected to open to traffic that day.
WHEN:  Tuesday, July 14 at 10:00 am.
WHERE:  The event will take place on the new location of Highway 549 over Highway 22. From just east of the Barling Interchange of Highways 22/59, enter the new on ramp to the event site. Police units will be on site to direct and park vehicles.

Gov. Hutchinson will be among the dignitaries:

WHO:  Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, Highway Commissioners, AHTD Director, Fort Smith Mayor Sandy Sanders, Barling Mayor Jerry Barling, Sebastian County Judge David Hudston, Chaffee Redevelopment Authority Executive Director Ivy Owen, Fort Smith Area Chamber of Commerce officials, other local officials and business leaders.

Maybe Gov. Hutchinson will give some lip service to building the Arkansas River bridge as the next step.

A couple weeks ago, it was hinted that it might open earlier, but the "dedication" would be July 14. As of Friday, the signs are still covered and the road is still unopened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.