News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on April 23, 2023, 07:54:08 PM
There's a good chance I-84 is complete... I drove I-84 East a couple weeks ago and it was done, and saw new signs in the rear-view.  So it may be done.

Link to my I-84 MA album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157672122426070
I saw those new I-84 signs during my Easter visit to my brother's.

Kudos for the fabricators for not squishing the I-90 numerals together nor mis-positioning them (usually too high with respect to the top blue part of the I-shield).  I still would've preferred a darker shade of blue used on the shields (per the predecessor signs) for better contrast/readability.

There appears to be some inconsistency with the control city selection & order for those I-84 eastbound signs.  The majority of the new pull-through signs (not including the earlier APLs) use an Albany, NY/Boston combination except for one sign prior to the US 20 westbound ramp (Exit 6B) where the control city combination is the reverse and the Boston legend is spaced too low (it's literally sitting on top of the Albany, NY legend. 

Additionally, the new ramp signage for I-84 eastbound off US 20 still uses a Boston/Springfield combination.

Why the inconsistency for signs that were in the same contract/construction package?

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Couldn't help notice that on the east shore of the Ted Williams Tunnel that the tubes are emerged beneath one of Logan's concourses with the EB exit for Logan directly beneath three gates with the parked plane's straddling the exit ramp tube.

I'm assuming the terminal concourse predates the tunnel with I-90 bored below it. It's not a cut and cover where the terminal was constructed in unison with the tunnel.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on June 04, 2023, 08:58:21 PM
Couldn't help notice that on the east shore of the Ted Williams Tunnel that the tubes are emerged beneath one of Logan's concourses with the EB exit for Logan directly beneath three gates with the parked plane's straddling the exit ramp tube.

I'm assuming the terminal concourse predates the tunnel with I-90 bored below it. It's not a cut and cover where the terminal was constructed in unison with the tunnel.

The tunnel construction began in the early 90s and it opened in 1995, while the old Terminal A (originally built by Eastern) was still going strong.  The old Terminal A was demolished in 2002 and the new, current Terminal A and its satellite (which is above the tunnel) opened in 2005.  So, the tunnel was built well before the current Terminal A Satellite opened. 

pderocco

I have a memory from my youth that Eastern had an even earlier terminal, which had an inverted arch to its roof. Or was that just an interior feature of the terminal that was demolished in 2002? I always liked that building a lot.

(Yes, I know this isn't road-related, but someone here might know the answer.)

southshore720

Shifting back to road-related, I noticed that the "LEFT" exit tabs approaching the 93/95 Canton junction (on both I-93 SB and I-95 SB) were recently neutered.  This has created smaller tabs akin to the last BGS generation with the "sunken" tabs.  Any explanation?

hotdogPi

Quote from: southshore720 on June 05, 2023, 12:04:03 AM
Shifting back to road-related, I noticed that the "LEFT" exit tabs approaching the 93/95 Canton junction (on both I-93 SB and I-95 SB) were recently neutered.  This has created smaller tabs akin to the last BGS generation with the "sunken" tabs.  Any explanation?

Maybe too many people were photographing the sign (and not paying attention to the road) because of the left exit 12 meme?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on June 05, 2023, 12:04:03 AM
Two of the advance signs for the MA 128 North exit in Peabody, below being the second, were also recently changed, truncated at the bottom with no yellow Left Tab included either, wonder if there's any connection?

pderocco

I think the yellow LEFT was probably causing problems. They were trying to get us to visualize the roads as defined by their numbers and not their physical configurations. The tab probably prompted people unfamiliar with the road to crowd over to the left, expecting that there would be a left ramp coming up.

I don't even think it's right to call 128 an "exit", because before that point the road was every bit as much 128 as I-95. It's just two multiplexed roads demultiplexing. However, the I-95 is clearly a "ramp", and looks like an "exit", while 128 isn't and doesn't. This is an effort to make signs conform to exit numbers on the DPW books. There's no reason to number this, because no one would ever describe the route as "Take I-95 to exit 64, then take 128 to..."

bob7374

Was able to take photos of the (mostly) Left Exit tab-less signs in the Canton area last weekend, on I-93 South:

and on I-95 South:

Full set of photos at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

5foot14

I didn't really notice if the left tabs were removed previously, but with the sign replacement project going on on I-95 all 4 exit signs currently have the left tab ...

SM-A515U

SectorZ

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2023/05/25/provincetown-plans-to-carve-up-its-freeway-for-a-new-bike-path

This is an interesting one (to me at least). US 6 in Provincetown, one of the rare roads in the state the was built well beyond its needed capacity, is having one half turned into a mutli-use path for its "eastern" final mile, knocking it down to a two-lane roadway.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SectorZ on June 16, 2023, 02:52:17 PM
https://mass.streetsblog.org/2023/05/25/provincetown-plans-to-carve-up-its-freeway-for-a-new-bike-path

This is an interesting one (to me at least). US 6 in Provincetown, one of the rare roads in the state the was built well beyond its needed capacity, is having one half turned into a mutli-use path for its "eastern" final mile, knocking it down to a two-lane roadway.

Interesting that the 2-lane road would take over the current "westbound" side of US 6 (which faces east at this point) while about 15 years ago they narrowed down the end of US 6 near Herring Cove to 2 lanes on that side.  Maybe the abandoned, still-there eastbound side will be revived?  They would have to realign the intersection at the end of US 6 as well--not really a big deal in the big picture.

SectorZ

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 16, 2023, 03:36:17 PM

Interesting that the 2-lane road would take over the current "westbound" side of US 6 (which faces east at this point) while about 15 years ago they narrowed down the end of US 6 near Herring Cove to 2 lanes on that side.  Maybe the abandoned, still-there eastbound side will be revived?  They would have to realign the intersection at the end of US 6 as well--not really a big deal in the big picture.

Given some of the pavement is still there, that's certainly possible.

Also, would anyone with wikipedia editing experience help out on this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Route_6A

Appears someone went and made edits that did God knows what to most of the route numbers.

mariethefoxy

There appears to be some confusion in the way US 202 is signed through Holyoke.

Coming from South Hadley, there's a sign that tells you to turn right onto Hampden St, then it becomes Lincoln St which is signed with a 202 reassurance shield. At US 5 there's a sign saying to go left for 5/202 south. Then a few 5/202 reassurance shields down Northampton St till the right turn onto Cherry St towards 91. Going the other way there is no signs or shields on Northampton St north, only US 5 ones until you get to Lincoln St where there are signs to turn right on Lincoln St, and North 202 shields on Lincoln and Hampden St, then the sign to turn left onto the bridge into South Hadley. However there are also shields on Beech St for 202 North and for 202 south. Plus the intersection with Resnic Blvd has paddle signs for 202 north to turn right onto Beech St. At Route 141 and Beech St there are signs to go to 202 north onto Beech St. However its one-way couplet Linden St does not.

So my question is, Does north 202 use Beech St to get across Holyoke, or does it turn on 5 to Lincoln St and goes that way? 

Rothman

Ha!  Holyoke's had terrible signage for decades; I've pointed out how you can't follow the routes through the city at all over the years multiple times on here.

The answer is no one knows.  I'd wager you'd get different answers from MassDOT depending on who answers the phone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 18, 2023, 12:35:07 AM

Coming from South Hadley, there's a sign that tells you to turn right onto Hampden St, then it becomes Lincoln St which is signed with a 202 reassurance shield. At US 5 there's a sign saying to go left for 5/202 south. Then a few 5/202 reassurance shields down Northampton St till the right turn onto Cherry St towards 91. Going the other way there is no signs or shields on Northampton St north, only US 5 ones until you get to Lincoln St where there are signs to turn right on Lincoln St, and North 202 shields on Lincoln and Hampden St, then the sign to turn left onto the bridge into South Hadley. However there are also shields on Beech St for 202 North and for 202 south. Plus the intersection with Resnic Blvd has paddle signs for 202 north to turn right onto Beech St. At Route 141 and Beech St there are signs to go to 202 north onto Beech St. However its one-way couplet Linden St does not.

So my question is, Does north 202 use Beech St to get across Holyoke, or does it turn on 5 to Lincoln St and goes that way?

At the end of Resnic Blvd 202 is apparently on and not on Beech St, https://goo.gl/maps/dM7FvBrii88wTW5W7

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on June 18, 2023, 10:04:15 AM

At the end of Resnic Blvd 202 is apparently on and not on Beech St, https://goo.gl/maps/dM7FvBrii88wTW5W7

So, it turns out the portal to that place is and isn't in downtown Holyoke?  Who knew?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

pderocco

My Grandfather put me in his lap a couple of times when I was about 10, and let me steer his 1962 Chrysler down that lane toward "New Beach". Once, he got it up to 100mph on that stretch. I always liked that empty bit of expressway.

I'm very familiar with all the bike paths out there, having biked and rollerbladed them, and turning this piece of road into another bike path would make it by far the most boring part of the system. The other paths are hilly, curvy, with dangerous corners that get sand on them, sometimes out in the open and sometimes going through scrub pine and oak chaparral. They're exciting rides. I'd much rather take Bradford St (6A) out to the end, in order to get to the bike paths than to bike along that expressway. I think they should leave it as a road.

5foot14

The signs on Resnic are technically accurate... According to the MassDOT Route Log Application, US 202 splits in Holyoke. SB uses Hampden, Lincoln, and US 5 around Holyoke. NB uses Beech through Holyoke. Though it looks like there are some leftover reassurance shields from before this change. Of note is that 202 SB on Hampden and Lincoln as well as NB Between US 5 and Hampden St is not State Maintained but town maintained.

Rothman

Quote from: 5foot14 on June 19, 2023, 10:42:48 AM

The signs on Resnic are technically accurate... According to the MassDOT Route Log Application, US 202 splits in Holyoke. SB uses Hampden, Lincoln, and US 5 around Holyoke. NB uses Beech through Holyoke. Though it looks like there are some leftover reassurance shields from before this change. Of note is that 202 SB on Hampden and Lincoln as well as NB Between US 5 and Hampden St is not State Maintained but town maintained.

My bet is MassDOT put up the erroneous shields after the official change, whenever that was. :D

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

If there's so little traffic past Shank Painter Rd., why not just get rid of both sides of of US 6 west of there and sign it down Shank Painter and onto Bradford St.?

odditude

Quote from: bob7374 on June 15, 2023, 10:42:03 PM
Was able to take photos of the (mostly) Left Exit tab-less signs in the Canton area last weekend, on I-93 South:

(snip)

if you look closely, the upper border is missing - i'd say the LEFT tab was present but damaged during or prior to installation, and nobody noticed/cared.

shadyjay

Quote from: odditude on June 19, 2023, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on June 15, 2023, 10:42:03 PM

(snip)

if you look closely, the upper border is missing - i'd say the LEFT tab was present but damaged during or prior to installation, and nobody noticed/cared.

I took a picture of this sign 2 years ago and the LEFT was indeed there.  The fact that all of the "LEFTs" went missing at the same time leads me to believe it was an intentional removal on advance signs as of recently.

Ted$8roadFan

Per MassDOT, there will soon be a new pattern at Mass Pike I-90 East interchange with I-495 (Exit 106). A new ramp will be opening soon, presumably so that those heading to 495 north will no longer have to cross over against those heading from I-90 west to I-495 south.

SectorZ

The left exit tabs have been removed from (at least the first) sign on the Lowell Connector just off US 3 N/B.

https://goo.gl/maps/BU6LagPkquAg4QSU6

Like others shown above, it looks a tad janky with it removed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.