News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

There's an industrial park west of Columbus (near Hilliard) that uses shoe brands for street names.
In Baton Rouge there are a bunch of street themes.
Between the LSU campus and DT BR you have president named streets followed by state names for streets.
You also have the Saint streets in Beauroguard Town (another named district between the business district and LSU)
Just SE of the LSU campus is the Tigertown subdivision which uses other university names for the streets
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

english si

Space Theme: Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter, Orion, Gemini, Pegasus, Andromeda.

The Flowers Estate, Southampton: Violet, Primrose, Pansy, Iris, Begonia, Honeysuckle, Dahlia, Lilac, Daisy, Bluebell, Tulip, Aster, Laburnum, Lobelia, Carnation, Poppy, Lupin

There's lots of pairs and triplets of themed names in Southampton (eg Nile, Khartoum and Omdurman - the two largest cities in the Sudan and the river that separates them), but there's not many larger chunks at all (AFAICS), even in new build bits. Partially because there's lots of randomness, partially because extra roads have been added, and partially because the themes are rather general - there's a industrial estate that's all seas and cruise ships, but I would struggle to call that a single theme.

Everest Rd, Hillary Rd, Tenzing Drive
Cathedral Cities: Lincoln, Salisbury, Ely, Winchester, Canterbury, York

Milton Keynes, being a new town (it shockingly has numbered streets in the centre - 14th being the highest, as well as a large grid pattern of major roads surrounding 1km-ish sort of squares - simply not English!), mostly built in the last 35 years, one large estate at a time is rife with them, though there's probably more I haven't spotted. Themed estates being the in-thing while a lot of it was being built, and there being a lot of estates. Composers (though I've not heard of a lot of these), Abbeys(?), Places in Middlesex (mostly tube stations), Science and Engineering (?), 20th Century Entertainers (Most are musicians, but there are some which are comedians - Laurel and Chaplin, for instance), Palaces, Places in Cornwall, Cricket, Places in Bucks, South London sort of area and a random mixture (Dorney, Brill and Maidenhead are all localish, the others I have no idea what they are doing there) form another estate based on places, Poets and Authors, Lakes (or at least there's a lot of lakes there), Places in Devon. That's 10 estates, so that'll do!

J N Winkler

Quote from: english si on December 09, 2010, 08:27:48 AM. . . eg Nile, Khartoum and Omdurman . . .

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a "Gordon" nearby.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

english si

There is (sort of - it's some way away, especially compared to the short length of the roads with the Sudan theme), but it's completely unrelated. map

jwolfer

Quote from: hm insulators on December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM
For example, downtown Phoenix, Arizona has east-west streets named for US presidents (Van Buren, Washington, Pierce and so forth), the Palm Springs area has streets named after famous celebrities that lived there (Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, Gerald Ford); in Redondo Beach, California, the little side streets off Catalina Drive are named for gems (Opal, Emerald, Garnet, Ruby).

Does your town or section of town have themed street names? (Tree names are so common, perhaps we can skip those.)

The Cedar Hills neighborhood on the Westside of Jacksonville has streets named after nursery rhyme/fairytail characters.  Such as Miss Muffett Lane, Tinkerbell, Cinderella Dr etc.  A man would have to be very secure in his masculinity to live on some of those roads

Brandon

There's a subdivision (early 1960s vintage) near here that has the following street names: Eastline, Westline, Meridian, Vesta, Satellite, and Nuclear.  Yes, Nuclear.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jdbx

There is a neighborhood nearby in Concord, Ca that is referred to as "The Fruitbowl" because all of the streets are named after various fruits (Apple, Peach, Pear, etc).  In San Francisco the east-west streets out in the Sunset district are alphabetical from north to south.  This gives you "Irving, Judah, Kirkham,etc ....." finishing at "...Uloa, Vicente, Wawona, Yorba"

Alps

All the street names in Lake Parsippany are towns or communities in NJ.  There are several alphabetical sets starting with A and running to a random letter before resetting.

njroadhorse

Wildwood Crest, NJ's E-W streets are named for American cities.
The entire eastern half of Cape May, NJ is named N-S for various cities in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region, and the E-W's are named for states.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

And, Atlantic City's streets are named after the Monopoly board!  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

Many of Dover NJ's streets in the center of town are named for the counties in New Jersey
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

kj3400

Quote from: mightyace on December 09, 2010, 08:13:31 PM

No, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. :|
There's a section of Ingleside Rd. between US 40 and I-70 in Baltimore County that has the names of Maryland's counties.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

mightyace

Quote from: kj3400 on December 10, 2010, 11:30:54 AM

I know that, hence the  :sombrero:!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

kj3400

Quote from: mightyace on December 10, 2010, 11:32:00 AM
Quote from: kj3400 on December 10, 2010, 11:30:54 AM

I know that, hence the  :sombrero:!

Something told me you did. :P
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

sandiaman

In  downtown  Albuquerque,  all of the east - west  streets are named after minerals :  Iron Ave, Coal Ave, Lead  Ave.,Gold  Ave., Copper Ave.  you  get the picture.  Many other cities in NM  followed this  patern with naming the streets after  minerals.  In the fifties,  builders would name the streets  with  women's  names  in new  subdivisions.

national highway 1

Quote from: sandiaman on December 10, 2010, 04:11:22 PM
In  downtown  Albuquerque,  all of the east - west  streets are named after minerals :  Iron Ave, Coal Ave, Lead  Ave.,Gold  Ave., Copper Ave.  you  get the picture.  Many other cities in NM  followed this  patern with naming the streets after  minerals.  In the fifties,  builders would name the streets  with  women's  names  in new  subdivisions.
The same happens in Butte, MT (eg. I-115 transitioning into Iron St)
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Butte,+MT,+United+States&sll=39.361096,-74.445698&sspn=0.00735,0.013711&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Butte,+Silver+Bow,+Montana,+United+States&ll=46.009005,-112.548537&spn=0.013204,0.043774&z=15
Quote from: jdbx on December 09, 2010, 06:02:46 PM
There is a neighborhood nearby in Concord, Ca that is referred to as "The Fruitbowl" because all of the streets are named after various fruits (Apple, Peach, Pear, etc).  In San Francisco the east-west streets out in the Sunset district are alphabetical from north to south.  This gives you "Irving, Judah, Kirkham,etc ....." finishing at "...Uloa, Vicente, Wawona, Yorba"
There's also a similar thing around 3rd St at Hunters Point where it starts at Amador, Burke, Custer, Davidson, Evans...etc..then finishes with Thomas, Underwood, Van Dyke, Wallace & Yosemite.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hunters+Point,+San+Francisco,+CA,+United+States&sll=37.73098,-122.385378&sspn=0.015036,0.027423&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hunters+Point,+San+Francisco,+California,+United+States&ll=37.733763,-122.394819&spn=0.015035,0.043774&z=15
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

wandering drive

What, no mention of King Arthur's Court?  :sombrero:

Sauk City also has a haphazard arrangement of US Presidents.
The streets around the center of Madison, WI are generally named after the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Adam Smith on December 09, 2010, 12:15:46 AM
There's an industrial park west of Columbus (near Hilliard) that uses shoe brands for street names.
In Baton Rouge there are a bunch of street themes.
Between the LSU campus and DT BR you have president named streets followed by state names for streets.
You also have the Saint streets in Beauroguard Town (another named district between the business district and LSU)
Just SE of the LSU campus is the Tigertown subdivision which uses other university names for the streets

Virtually every subdivision in BR has one theme or another. Besides the above, the ones of note:

- Streets with business terminology names in the Old Jefferson subdivision: Vice-President, Profit, Treasurer, Debt, Dividend, Quorum, Chairman, Board, Commission, Director, et al.
- Obligatory Sherwood Forest subdivision street names: Robin Hood, Little John, Archery
- Streets named after Louisiana parishes in Capitol Heights
- The Garden District's streets are all names of types of flowering trees
- Melrose Place streets use names of Mississippi River plantations: Parlange, Hermitage, Rosedown, Asphodel (one of many plantation themed subdivisions in EBR Parish)
- Several parts of town have presidential streets; the parish has had to remove duplicate names in the past (and we still have two streets named for Washington)
- Tigerland has streets named for famous LSU athletes; other universities' names are used for streets in College Town
- Civil War themed names in Shenandoah Estates (southeast EBRP)
- Trees and Civil War generals in Southdowns (Lee, Pickett, Stuart), with street names duplicated elsewhere replaced by Scottish city names (Glasgow, Edinburgh)
- The area east of the University Lakes has streets all ending in -dale
- Off Perkins Road near City Park is a small subdivision with streets named after ancient poets and philosophers (Horace, Vigil, Pliny, etc.)
- And just west of University Lake off Darylmple, Lake Crest subd. has streets named for the months of March-July
- Indian/Native American themed names in Istrouma (North Baton Rouge adjacent to the refinery)
- Revolutionary War theme in Concord Estates (bounded by I-10, College, Perkins, and the Rural Life Museum property)
- My personal favorite: names of long-extinct automobile makes (with the exception of Ford and Cadillac) in the Zion City area (on the east side of Plank Road just south of Hooper)

This of course does not include the innumerable look-alike, sound-alike subdivision streets with names evoking nature (trees, water, or a combination thereof) or somehow mirroring the major street in its immediate vicinity (Highland Oaks, Jefferson Park, Bluebonnet Centre, ad nauseum).
Don't get me started on the number of streets with "Wood", "Lake", or "Park" in their name within EBR Parish alone. The number is somewhere in the hundreds. Trust me on this, I have checked.

SP Cook

Huntington WV, has a numbered grid system.  Streets run towards the river, avenues run parallel to it.  You omit the "E" on the east side of the grid, but not for the west side.  Thus 1st Street and 1st Street West are one block apart, while 30th Street and 30th Street West are 60 blocks appart.  You can determine the location by the street number, such as 1560 7th Avenue would be the block between 15th and 16th Streets.  Anyway, the avenues are numbered in the east, but are the presidents in order in the west, skipping the duplicates and resetting to account for a bend in the river.  3rd thus becomes Washington, 4th Adams, etc.  You can still determine location in the same manner.

I do not know the origin, but a housing development in Jefferson County, WV, has streets named after Ayn Rand.  Both her and other persons in the Objectivist movement, and characters in Atlas Shruged and The Fountainhead.  Main street is John Gault.

Bryant5493

In College Park (GA), many of the streets east-west streets (avenues) are named after colleges and universities: Princeton, Columbia, Yale, Oxford, Oglethorpe (decommissioned), Harvard, and Cambridge.

Also, many streets in the Atlanta area are named Peachtree; too many to name or count. :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Scott5114

The EW county roads in Woods County, OK are all named after the other 76 counties in the state.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jemacedo9

Philadelphia E-W streets intersecting Broad are named after PA counties...

sglaughlin

Tulsa, OK, has a series of north-south streets named for US cities.

golden eagle

There's a section of Chicago where most of the streets begin with the letter K. Kedzie Avenue is one of them. I've always heard it referred to as K-Town.

There's a subdivision in Jackson in which the streets are named for presidents. The subdivision is named Presidential Hills.

Brandon

Quote from: golden eagle on December 12, 2010, 11:37:27 PM
There's a section of Chicago where most of the streets begin with the letter K. Kedzie Avenue is one of them. I've always heard it referred to as K-Town.

Chicago's avenues (in the city only) have areas where they progress westward through the alphabet.  There's a section that starts with K, another with M, another with N, and so on and so on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.