News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Non-Interstate Route That carry a lot of Interstate Traffic

Started by 3467, December 29, 2014, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is going to be subjective as to what you consider " a lot" and the routes you observe unless there are specific origin/destination studies available. Passenger vehicles only
I will give examples I travel in West/Central Illinois and Eastern Iowa

US 34 In Iowa and Illinois . Not surprisingly I see mostly Illinois and Iowa on both the 4 lane and 2 lane sections in both states.
US 67 in Illinois Iowa outnumbers Missouri
US218/IA 27 Illinois comes in after Missouri and before Minnesota when I have been on it
I see very few out of state plates on any other roads. Occasionally Iowa on US 136 and Missouri on US 24

ET21

-US 20 can be added for NC and NW Illinois out towards Dubuque, Iowa. Basically the main route to and from the region
-US 151 mainly serves SW Wisconsin up towards Madison.
-Traffic wouldn't suggest it, but US 30 in my opinion is a nice in-between route of I-80 and I-88 in IL.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NE2

So you mean a route that's not an Interstate Highway (proper noun) that carries a lot of interstate (common noun) traffic? As opposed to a non-Interstate that carries traffic that would otherwise stay on the Interstate? For the latter, the New Jersey Turnpike south of exit 6 and the Berkshire Thruway west of exit B1 qualify. For the former, they of course still qualify. So does US 160 NM.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bzakharin

GS Parkway (and its NY extension to the NYS Thruway) as well. Also, what constitutes Interstate traffic? There is a lot of short distance commuter traffic in metro areas that crosses state lines. E.g. NJ 440 and NJ 495 into New York and NJ 90, NJ-42, and NJ-55, and the Atlantic City Expressway into Philadelphia. If that doesn't count, US-40 gets traffic to Atlantic City from Delaware and points South.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

That still doesn't quite clarify the question, being that there are only one set of four corners in the US. (The other in North America is with NW Territories, Nunavut, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, with no provisions of overland routes going there).

TEG24601

US-23 from Toledo to Flint.
US-24 from Toledo west into Illinois.
US-52
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

DandyDan

The two big ones in Nebraska that I know about:
1. Iowa 2/NE 2 between I-29 and Lincoln.  Essentially the short cut between I-29 and I-80
2. US 81 between York, NE and Salina KS. Essentially an extension of I-135 north to I-80 and the route people in Nebraska take to go to points south of Wichita.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Pink Jazz

I don't know if this qualifies, however, many people who go from Phoenix to Albuquerque take AZ 87 to Payson and AZ 260, 277, and 377 to Holbrook as a shortcut instead of taking I-17 up to Flagstaff.  This route is especially popular for those in the East Valley (Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, and Queen Creek).

However, I may be misinterpreting the thread if the thread is specifically talking about state or U.S. routes that actually reach state lines.  Such an example would be those taking U.S. 13 and DE-1 from Hampton Roads to go to NYC, instead of taking I-64 west to I-295 and I-95.

Zzonkmiles

SR A1A in Florida would seem the most logical choice in that state. Tons of traffic from out of state that is filtering out to the various hotels and shopping areas along the shore. But maybe I don't understand the question very well either.

sbeaver44

-US 19/Corridor L between I-79 and Beckley
-US 15 in Pennsylvania (Buffalo-Rochester to Washington DC)
-US 301 in Maryland
-US 13 in Delaware/Maryland/Virginia previously stated

These are all interesting. I wanted it to be your observations. I just find it interesting where people are traveling or commuting and what highways they use . In a state like Iowa which has counties on the plates you can glean even more information

cl94

- NY 149 and US 4 from I-87 to I-89
- US 219
- Palisades Interstate Parkway
- CT 15 and the Hutchison River Parkway
- NY 7, VT 9, and VT 279
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

silverback1065

Keystone Avenue (Old SR 431), Binford Blvd (Old SR 37), Fall Creek Parkway North Drive (Part of Old SR 37), and Allisonville Rd in Indianapolis.  The direct result of the cancellation of I-69 inside the loop. There were plans to widen Allisonville to 4 lanes but the locals got angry.  Also Keystone Parkway in Carmel (Old SR 431)

mrose

Quote from: DandyDan on December 29, 2014, 03:54:41 PM
The two big ones in Nebraska that I know about:
1. Iowa 2/NE 2 between I-29 and Lincoln.  Essentially the short cut between I-29 and I-80
2. US 81 between York, NE and Salina KS. Essentially an extension of I-135 north to I-80 and the route people in Nebraska take to go to points south of Wichita.

First two that came to my mind, having at one time used both frequently. I always had the 135/81 route as a fictional I-31 in my fantasy maps, with a north extension to Sioux City via I-80 and US 77 north of Lincoln.

hbelkins

US 23, northern Ohio to Asheville, NC. I see lots of vehicles from Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina anytime I am on any stretch of this route.

US 35, St. Albans, WV to Dayton, OH.

Mountain Parkway in Kentucky. Lots of Ohio traffic heading west on Sunday afternoons as transplanted Kentuckians return to the Buckeye State after visiting home.

US 60-62 through Cairo, Ill.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2014, 10:21:09 PM

US 35, St. Albans, WV to Dayton, OH.

Nitpick.  35 no longer goes to St. Albans.  You were here the weekend before the new road opened, ending in Scott Depot.  But you are not the worst offender.  Charleston's bus system still lists one of its routes as ending at the "35-60 Junction", which 35 and 60 never meet and have not for more than a decade.

The WV one that is obvious is Corridor L/US 19, which forms, even with the speed traps and ridiculous stop lights, the most logical route, bypassing Charleston and 2/3rd of the Turnpike.   

NE2

corco

One striking one is US 93 in Nevada. As soon as 93 splits from I-15 heading north, more than half the cars have Idaho license plates outside of towns, some 422 miles south of the Idaho line. This being because 93 is the fastest route to Las Vegas for everybody west of American Falls and south of Grangeville, which is about a million people, and there's maybe 10,000 people living in Nevada on 93 between that junction and the state line, and much of that population can get to Salt Lake faster than Vegas (therefore not using US 93) when they want to go to a big city.

The Nature Boy

US 501 is a popular route to Myrtle Beach, SC, especially for Midwesterners who end up on it via US 74. Whenever I head down to Myrtle Beach, I see a significant amount of non-SC car on there.

US 4 also acts as a connector between eastern upstate NY and New Hampshire.

SteveG1988

US2 in North Dakota

MN to MT traffic uses it instead of heading south to I-94 at Fargo.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

US 301 from Callahan, FL to Ocala, FL along with FL 200 in those respected cities to connect them with both I-95 and I-75 counts as it is a bypass sort of Orlando.  Many out of state residents along the I-95 corridor north of Florida to Tampa and SW FL use this route to avoid the mess along I-4 and say that it saves so much time in addition to aggravation.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

OH-2, when not duplexed with I-90, on either side of Cleveland.  East of town, the freeway carries most of Lake County's bedroom community traffic, while west of town, OH-2 carries shunpikers to Toledo and points west year-round, as well as Cedar Point/Lake Erie Islands traffic in the summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.