Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Was ICRTAHS taken? As in "I can't read that at highway speeds!"?  :-D

Pink Jazz

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone ever noticed a "swoosh" effect on Skyline DMS when they switch between messages?  I have noticed it on several on I-17 in Phoenix.  This effect is absent on Daktronics.

1995hoo

I saw a message I liked yesterday on a VMS on the Beltway's Outer Loop approaching Exit 174:
LEFT LANE
IS FOR PASSING
NOT CRUISING

It had about as much effect as you likely think it did!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Richard3

Seen on northbound New Yorl State Thruway (I-87) last night;

EXIT 16 DETOUR
TAKE
EXIT 16
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

1995hoo

I like the sentiment expressed here, although it's a little silly for a highway sign.

https://twitter.com/vadot/status/1180838628995547141?s=21
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

stevashe

While the message itself isn't too absurd, I did find it a bit silly that it was displayed in such a rural area (I-5 approaching Tejon Pass from the south). I did see some signs with the same message in LA as well so Caltrans must have been putting them up all over without regard to whether it really made sense everywhere...

roadman

Coming back from Albany earlier today (10/6), all the boards on I-90/MassPike were displaying

PROTECT
FROM
EEE

INFO AT
MASS.GOV

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman on October 06, 2019, 10:02:29 PM
Coming back from Albany earlier today (10/6), all the boards on I-90/MassPike were displaying

PROTECT
FROM
EEE

INFO AT
MASS.GOV

The hell is EEE? Without knowing what it is, that almost sounds kind of ominous.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2019, 10:50:59 AM
I like the sentiment expressed here, although it's a little silly for a highway sign.
They did the same thing for Labor Day.... I wonder if it's permanent now or just for the beginning of fall?

jeffandnicole

Delaware's I-95 messages this weekend referred to the Monster Mile, due to the NASCAR race in Dover.

Which for most people traveling I-95 on the weekend, they are probably unfamiliar with the Monster Mile so the messages would've been completely lost on them.

As an aside, the font DelDOT uses on their VMSs sucks - it's an unusually narrow font on the 95 North sign between Exits 1 & 3, and on the signs in both directions just North of Interchange 4, the font is narrow and smaller than needs to be, with numerous bad lights/pixels. 

Rothman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 07, 2019, 06:45:15 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 06, 2019, 10:02:29 PM

PROTECT
FROM
EEE

INFO AT
MASS.GOV

The hell is EEE? Without knowing what it is, that almost sounds kind of ominous.
It's a very scary disease being spread by mosquitoes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

Huh.

Eastern equine encephalitis, in case anyone else is unfamiliar with it.

CNGL-Leudimin

Just spotted on Big Rig Travels, on I-80/I-94 at the IN/IL state line:
COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 11, 2019, 06:37:00 PM
COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING

I'm pretty sure countless millions of people are wishing in retrospect he had been.

Somebody's probably gonna get raked for this at IDiOT.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JoePCool14

COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING

Did they actually miss adding a "HE" in the second line?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

CNGL-Leudimin

I missed that "he" in the 2nd line X-(. It was too late for me.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 11, 2019, 06:39:30 PM

COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING

I'm pretty sure countless millions of people are wishing in retrospect he had been.

I'm pretty sure there aren't "countless millions" who wish Columbus had never made to the Americas. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2019, 02:03:14 PM

COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING

I'm pretty sure there aren't "countless millions" who wish Columbus had never made to the Americas.
Eh, still a sizeable number, nonetheless.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2019, 08:01:46 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2019, 02:03:14 PM

COLUMBUS MADE IT
BECAUSE DIDN'T
TEXT WHILE SAILING

Eh, still a sizeable number, nonetheless.

Regardless of how large or small that number is, the VMS message is still pretty stupid.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Michael

I think this is the most absurd one I've ever seen:

Again, it's from Reddit.

EDIT: After reading the Reddit thread, I saw it's from Utah.  I went to the Utah traffic website, and sure enough, it's there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Michael on October 21, 2019, 07:41:26 PM
I think this is the most absurd one I've ever seen:

Again, it's from Reddit.

EDIT: After reading the Reddit thread, I saw it's from Utah.  I went to the Utah traffic website, and sure enough, it's there.

I saw that one all over Facebook.  I don't get what the slang is supposed to even represent?

hotdogPi

I don't either, and it's probably aimed at my generation.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jbnv

LaDOTD had one about teens buckling up last week. Some sort of nationwide thing?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2019, 08:20:29 PM
Quote from: Michael on October 21, 2019, 07:41:26 PM
I think this is the most absurd one I've ever seen

[post snipped]
I saw that one all over Facebook.  I don't get what the slang is supposed to even represent?

It represents older people who know some young people slang but don't actually understand it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.