News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Places that have extremely old signals

Started by traffic light guy, June 09, 2018, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbz77

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2018, 10:24:53 PM
NYC, although they have replaced their signals over the past 6 decades, still love the old double guy mast arms that went out long before bell bottom pants did.  So even though they are not old (unless NYC still has some left that are mast arms or signal heads from the 1950's) the style is still 1940 or 50 ish.
What is a double guy mast arm and what does it look like?

traffic light guy

Spring Garden Street has the threshold of old signals in my area:

Old Crouse-Hinds type M 12" signals:
12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

12" Crouse-Hinds type M signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M by thesignalman, on Flickr

Then there was an intersection with a square-door bull's eye:
Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Some type R signals:
12" Crouse-Hinds type R signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Highway Signal-Sign Co. brand signals and Marbelites:
Highway Signal & Sign Co. with a Marbelite by thesignalman, on Flickr

And some Eagles:
12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eagle Flatback with chipped backplate by thesignalman, on Flickr

jakeroot

That backplate is so faded, it almost looks like the backplates used in parts of Canada...all yellow!

Could be a reflection, too.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on June 30, 2019, 01:18:35 AM
That backplate is so faded, it almost looks like the backplates used in parts of Canada...all yellow!

The signal is really old.......

plain

Some older railroad signals on VA 141 near downtown Portsmouth, VA. Railroad is abandoned.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sqrQFoLM1tBTZgDF8

Newark born, Richmond bred

plain

I noticed something like this on Oyster Point Rd between I-64 and VA 143 in Newport News. They're either completely yellow (especially the backs of the backplates) or getting there. Even one of the visors has "yellowed"

Images from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on July 03, 2019, 03:28:21 PM

I noticed something like this on Oyster Point Rd between I-64 and VA 143 in Newport News. They're either completely yellow (especially the backs of the backplates) or getting there. Even one of the visors has "yellowed"

There are quite a few cities around me that paint the entire rear of the signals yellow, but I've never seen any that have faded to yellow. Unless those along Oyster Road were actually painted yellow (instead of just looking like it).

roadfro

Quote from: dbz77 on June 29, 2019, 08:20:08 PM
NYC, although they have replaced their signals over the past 6 decades, still love the old double guy mast arms that went out long before bell bottom pants did.  So even though they are not old (unless NYC still has some left that are mast arms or signal heads from the 1950's) the style is still 1940 or 50 ish.

A "guy wire" or "guy line" is a tension cable or rope used to stabilize a structure. The ropes used to stabilize the mast on sailing ships are guy ropes, and the metal cables used to keep a utility pole from leaning are guy lines.

In the context of traffic signals, an common older style in New York City (and also used in some other areas) employed a thin curved mast arm to mount a single signal head overhead. To ensure stability of the mast arm under loading (i.e. wind force and weight of the traffic signal head), these installations would have two guy wires attached between the mast and the end of the mast arm.

NYC Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_light#/media/File:9th-food.jpg
One of a decreasing number of examples left in Las Vegas: https://goo.gl/maps/X57uPzcrxqySJv5e7
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

dbz77

Quote from: roadfro on July 05, 2019, 04:24:21 AM
Quote from: dbz77 on June 29, 2019, 08:20:08 PM

A "guy wire" or "guy line" is a tension cable or rope used to stabilize a structure. The ropes used to stabilize the mast on sailing ships are guy ropes, and the metal cables used to keep a utility pole from leaning are guy lines.

In the context of traffic signals, an common older style in New York City (and also used in some other areas) employed a thin curved mast arm to mount a single signal head overhead. To ensure stability of the mast arm under loading (i.e. wind force and weight of the traffic signal head), these installations would have two guy wires attached between the mast and the end of the mast arm.

NYC Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_light#/media/File:9th-food.jpg
One of a decreasing number of examples left in Las Vegas: https://goo.gl/maps/X57uPzcrxqySJv5e7
So that is what they are called.

I have seen a lot of those in Long Beach, CA.

there was such a traffic signal near the entrance to Disneyland sometime in the 1960's, but before 1995.

If I were in charge of traffic signal installation, I would make sure all new installations were the double-guy mast arms!

jakeroot

Double-guy mast arms are very rare in WA, but Spokane has several that are left-over from days of yore. Image below of an example.

Unlike the other examples, the Spokane examples are all straight. Weirdly, the signals are "hung" from the top (note signal placement in the image below), but they don't swing around like the NYC signals. I've seen this style of signal placement along mast arms in some western states (chiefly CA, where they are especially common for left turn signals); never have fully understood why this was done.

roadfro

^ Interesting, those are "double double guy" mast arms, with two sets of guy wires. Never seen that before. Perhaps because those all seem to have much longer mast arms than I've seen on curved mast arms.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on July 06, 2019, 04:50:29 PM
^ Interesting, those are "double double guy" mast arms, with two sets of guy wires. Never seen that before. Perhaps because those all seem to have much longer mast arms than I've seen on curved mast arms.

I did not notice that before. Well spotted.

dbz77

Quote from: jakeroot on July 06, 2019, 05:29:57 PM
Quote from: roadfro on July 06, 2019, 04:50:29 PM

I did not notice that before. Well spotted.
They can be called quadruple-guy.

CJResotko

Here is a video of the latest old signal I found. It's in Stanwood, Michigan. https://youtu.be/xaYjo1G6sdk

CJResotko

While I was in the Traverse City area a few days back, I went down to Maple City, Michigan, where this old Eagle fixed 3-way beacon still operates. It flashes yellow on the southbound approach of the intersection, while the other sides flash red.
https://youtu.be/8tuJdm510iM

I also filmed a bunch of old signals in Mansfield, Ohio, and a couple towns southeast of it.
https://youtu.be/FYGgN2lHXHQ
https://youtu.be/LFluutfgxPc

https://youtu.be/JbGXqCp9kQc

https://youtu.be/GUpk5ZUADX8

PHLBOS

While driving through Natick, MA along MA 27 last week, I stumbled across a couple of old signal assemblies that likely date back to the mid-60s.

This one had the upper-part of the large pedestrian signalhead updated to symbolic displays.  The lower-part still has the old-school WALK lettering on it.  I'm assuming that for the WALK-signal phase, a lighted pedestrian walking display is lit on the upper-portion.

These style signalheads, including the large pedestrian ones, used to be all over my hometown of Marblehead; although such were painted green w/black signalfaces.  Visors for the vehicle signalheads were black whereas the visors for the pedestrian ones were painted green.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

traffic light guy

Quote from: CJResotko on July 11, 2019, 10:55:02 AM
Here is a video of the latest old signal I found. It's in Stanwood, Michigan. https://youtu.be/xaYjo1G6sdk

I love the collection of oldies

ipeters61

Found some nice pedestrian and traffic signals in Cambridge MD this weekend.  This was a funky looking pedestrian signal.  They had a few "downtown."

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 25, 2019, 05:08:22 PM
Found some nice pedestrian and traffic signals in Cambridge MD this weekend.  This was a funky looking pedestrian signal.  They had a few "downtown."

Looks a lot like the Canadian Walking Man:

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 02, 2019, 10:57:54 PM
A few weeks ago I went to Vancouver for the first time in seven or more years.  The last time I was there they had just converted their pedestrian signals from incandescent to LED.  The Canadian Walking Man, who takes a longer stride than his U.S. cousin, made the conversion.  Last month I saw that Vancouver had changed out all their ped signals again, this time to add a don't walk countdown.  For this project, Vancouver has used generic U.S. ped heads, and the Walking Man is gone.  Added safety is nice, but now Vancouver is just a little bit like much of the rest of the places I already visit.  As long as they still sell the special Kit Kat bars, it's still worth going.  That and being able to walk through different city-scapes.

Back in 2006, shortly after I got a digital camera and could take a chance on taking pictures of signals and signs, I got a picture of an incandescent Walking Man, with an unlit LED hand.  The incandescent lights were just normal round vehicle signals with pedestrian designs painted on.  Here's the same corner now.

Incandescent Canadian Walking Man, Vancouver, BC, 2006 by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

traffic light guy

Incandescent eaglelux signals in Norristown:

Incandescent eaglelux traffic signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

1940's Crouse-Hinds type D signal in Cheltenham:
Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco (side-view) by thesignalman, on Flickr

Short-fin eaglelux signals in Norristown:
Incandescent eaglelux traffic signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Short-fin eagelelux signals in Lower Merion:
Ancient Eaglelux by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eaglelux traffic signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

One with 12" adapters:
Eaglelux signals with 12" adapters by thesignalman, on Flickr

A set of 1970's-era 12" Eagle Flatback signals on angled mast-arms in Lower Moreland:

Old Eagles on an angled mast-arm by thesignalman, on Flickr

Andrew T.

Southern Autoflow 4-way signal in Princeton, West Virginia. I took this photo in 2008, but as far as I know it's still there today:

Old four-way traffic signal, Princeton, WV
by Andrew T's Archives, on Flickr

The most interesting characteristic about this intersection? Since there is no second signal to provide redundant backup in the event of a bulb failure, the side street is protected by a stop sign bearing the words "Except when light is green."
Think Metric!

HTM Duke

While clinching PA-420 Truck, at the intersection of Swarthmore and Morton Avenues, I came upon this cluster of pole mounted signals.  Included in the mix were (I believe) Art Decos and Eagleluxes. 

Further south, in West Virginia, I came upon these round door Bullseyes along US-19 in Adamston while clinching various state routes.  Good timing on that, because when I returned through town as part of a clinch of US-19 in WV, they had been replaced.

Out in Moundsville, WV, in front of the fire department, is an inactive signal, with what appear to be only red and yellow sections.  Given that the sections appear to alternate between sides (i.e., R-Y/Y-R) and the body design, I would hazard a guess that this is a Darley.

Finally, in Loyall, KY, at the KY-840 and KY-413 junction, there are a pair of three-way signals (the fourth side on each is blank).  I believe that these are Southern Autoflows.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Andrew T. on November 30, 2019, 09:19:34 AM
Southern Autoflow 4-way signal in Princeton, West Virginia. I took this photo in 2008, but as far as I know it's still there today:

The most interesting characteristic about this intersection? Since there is no second signal to provide redundant backup in the event of a bulb failure, the side street is protected by a stop sign bearing the words "Except when light is green."

Still there, but no GSV of the side street, so I can't see the legend on the stop sign.

traffic light guy

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 03, 2019, 06:33:58 PM
Quote from: Andrew T. on November 30, 2019, 09:19:34 AM

Still there, but no GSV of the side street, so I can't see the legend on the stop sign.

The signal is most likely long gone, the GSV is from 2009

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2019, 05:20:41 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on November 25, 2019, 05:08:22 PM

Looks a lot like the Canadian Walking Man:

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 02, 2019, 10:57:54 PM
A few weeks ago I went to Vancouver for the first time in seven or more years.  The last time I was there they had just converted their pedestrian signals from incandescent to LED.  The Canadian Walking Man, who takes a longer stride than his U.S. cousin, made the conversion.  Last month I saw that Vancouver had changed out all their ped signals again, this time to add a don't walk countdown.  For this project, Vancouver has used generic U.S. ped heads, and the Walking Man is gone.  Added safety is nice, but now Vancouver is just a little bit like much of the rest of the places I already visit.  As long as they still sell the special Kit Kat bars, it's still worth going.  That and being able to walk through different city-scapes.

Back in 2006, shortly after I got a digital camera and could take a chance on taking pictures of signals and signs, I got a picture of an incandescent Walking Man, with an unlit LED hand.  The incandescent lights were just normal round vehicle signals with pedestrian designs painted on.  Here's the same corner now.

Incandescent Canadian Walking Man, Vancouver, BC, 2006 by Arthur Allen, on Flickr
Want to say because those signals actually use the Canadian lenses. Not sure why, but they do.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.