News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Neon lights in guide signs according to MUTCD

Started by D-Dey65, May 11, 2019, 10:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I've seen my share of weigh station signs as well as rest area signs that have the addition of neon lights telling drivers whether they're open or closed, but I don't see anything about those features anywhere within the MUTCD. Is there something I missed about them?

Revive 755

I think the MUTCD was left somewhat vague to not rule out viable options for blank out messages.

Quote from: MUTCD 2L.01 Paragraph 01A changeable message sign (CMS) is a traffic control device that is capable of displaying one or morev alternative messages. Some changeable message signs have a blank mode when no message is displayed, while others display multiple messages with only one of the messages displayed at a time (such as OPEN/CLOSED signs at weigh stations).

Pink Jazz

Neon signs were never very common for early DMS.  Far more common were those electromechanical rotating drum signs which could blank out or change the message by rotating an electromechanical drum.

D-Dey65

For the record, these are the kinds of signs I've been talking about.

This one is in Florida (although other states have it too):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WB_I-4_Weigh_Station_Open_from_McIntosh_too.jpg

And this one is in Virginia:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:04-SB_I-95_Carson,_VA_Weight_Station.jpg

Henry

Nowadays, new installations will more likely have either eggcrate or dot matrix-type displays, but I do remember the old neon lights on weigh station signs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Henry on August 14, 2019, 09:41:05 AM
Nowadays, new installations will more likely have either eggcrate or dot matrix-type displays, but I do remember the old neon lights on weigh station signs.

I haven't seen installations of new eggcrate DMS in years; all installations basically now are LED.  Eggcrate displays use a matrix of incandescent bulbs. Eggcrate DMS were supplanted by flip-dot and fiber-optic, which in turn were supplanted by LED.

jeffandnicole

D-Dey65

Upon closer examination of the one on the I-4 on ramp, that's actually LED.

Try this one on I-95 in South Carolina:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_I-95_St_George_Truck_Weigh_Station_Left_Neon.jpg

The ones in North Carolina are below the signs, rather than built into them:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_I-95_Halifax_Co_Weigh_Station_is_Open.jpg

Pink Jazz

I do know that the High Rise Bridge on I-64 in Chesapeake, VA once used neon signs to indicate the draw was open, meanwhile the Berkeley Bridge on I-264 in Norfolk instead used rotating drum signs. Both have since been replaced by LED DMS.

ErmineNotyours

Since removed as this ramp is turning into a light rail line.  The smaller lettering is testing the limits of legibility for neon.  Probably installed about 1990 for the Seattle I-90 floating bridge.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 15, 2019, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 14, 2019, 09:41:05 AM

I haven't seen installations of new eggcrate DMS in years; all installations basically now are LED.  Eggcrate displays use a matrix of incandescent bulbs. Eggcrate DMS were supplanted by flip-dot and fiber-optic, which in turn were supplanted by LED.

I haven't seen an eggcrate display in use on a road. Any pics?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.