News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two Seperate Channelized Rights Turns For Same Movement

Started by Brian556, May 26, 2019, 10:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

plain

I've seen something similar to this but only at a few modern roundabouts, not at an intersection like this. I want to know the story behind it.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

I have seen instances of slip lanes being rebuilt nearby, usually to make them smaller (see here...note old roadbed). But, I've never seen an instance of a new one being built, and the old one remaining in operation.

The closest similarity I can think of, would be a ramp at a freeway interchange being replaced by another ramp, but the original ramp remaining open for over-height traffic. This interchange west of Chilliwack, BC for instance.

CardInLex

Here is one in Louisville. Both channelized movements turn onto the same road but the left right turn is for traffic turning left at the next intersection.

EDIT (updated link):
https://goo.gl/maps/4yc6g1XtAxSXt3sP8

Link to advance signage: https://goo.gl/maps/qLT1f1xpEkhYVZ9KA

jeffandnicole

With NJ's jughandles, you sometimes have situations where you can make the right turn via the forward jughandle, or at the intersection itself. NJ 70 West onto Haddonfield Rd. is one such example. It formerly met the criteria the OP posted, except the right turn lane at the main intersection was converted into a shared thru lane/right turn lane.

Roadsguy

Quote from: CardInLex on May 27, 2019, 10:38:41 AM
Here is one in Louisville. Both channelized movements turn onto the same road but the left right turn is for traffic turning left at the next intersection.

EDIT (updated link):
https://goo.gl/maps/4yc6g1XtAxSXt3sP8

Link to advance signage: https://goo.gl/maps/qLT1f1xpEkhYVZ9KA

I love how every signalized lane on that off-ramp has "Bad Sensor" spraypainted on it in the latest Street View.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

webny99

I've seen this - in fact fairly frequently - at a roundabout, but never at a standard intersection.

doorknob60

Here's something different, but it reminded me of it. I-84 and 10th Ave in Caldwell. There is a loop ramp for NB traffic to get on I-84 WB. But immediately after the loop ramp, there is a fully signalized left turn to get on a different ramp (the one you'd turn right on, going southbound) that goes to the exact same place. Pretty redundant. And I've seen plenty of people use the left turn (but with the FYA and 10th not being a super busy street, it's probably not slower most of the time). https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6712271,-116.6780974,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'd hope that the signal never turns to a green arrow, as that would slow down signal progression for the other movements for no reason. I'm not sure if it goes green or if it's only flashing yellow, but I'd suspect it does go to a green arrow. In which case, what a waste. They should simply prohibit left turns there.

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 28, 2019, 04:31:45 PM
Here's something different, but it reminded me of it. I-84 and 10th Ave in Caldwell. There is a loop ramp for NB traffic to get on I-84 WB. But immediately after the loop ramp, there is a fully signalized left turn to get on a different ramp (the one you'd turn right on, going southbound) that goes to the exact same place. Pretty redundant. And I've seen plenty of people use the left turn (but with the FYA and 10th not being a super busy street, it's probably not slower most of the time). https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6712271,-116.6780974,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'd hope that the signal never turns to a green arrow, as that would slow down signal progression for the other movements for no reason. I'm not sure if it goes green or if it's only flashing yellow, but I'd suspect it does go to a green arrow. In which case, what a waste. They should simply prohibit left turns there.

That's certainly interesting. Is there a weight limit for that overpass? (requiring heavy loads to avoid the loop).

Reminds me a lot of this interchange in Olympia, WA, but that interchange has a signed "no left turn".

Revive 755

CardInLex

sprjus4

Some examples in Virginia

I-64 West off-ramp to US-13 / Northampton Blvd - Three right turn lanes, two of them stop at a turn signal and go together, whereas the far right lane is a channelized movement.
US-13 North off-ramp to US-60 / Shore Dr - One channelized right turn lane, and another stop controlled.
VA-168 South off-ramp to Hillcrest Pkwy - You can either take Exit 8A then turn left at the signal, or take Exit 8B which is a loop ramp.
US-17 North to I-464 North - Heading north on US-17, you can stay left and take a direct ramp to I-464 North, or continue straight, and take another ramp that also goes to I-464 North just beyond the first one.
I-95 North off-ramp at VA-207 - You can either take the channelized right turn lane at this off-ramp, or head to the signal and manually take the right turn.
I-95 South off-ramp at VA-3 - You can either take the channelized right turn lane at this off-ramp, or head to the signal and manually take the right turn.

Those are just some I know off the top of my head, there's probably way more in Virginia.

plain

I didn't even think of the ones at the end of freeway ramps, so focused on regular intersections lol.

Here's another VA example, I-66 WB to US 15 NB

https://maps.app.goo.gl/51dxT4SajCrTRz5X7
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

I don't think the point of the thread was to highlight every instance of a double-right slip lane setup. These are relatively common throughout the country, for cutting down instances of weaving.

The OP's example is a country-lane four-way intersection. There'd be no reason for two slip lanes, as there is only one lane on each road. Yet, that is the situation.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on May 29, 2019, 12:21:33 AM
I don't think the point of the thread was to highlight every instance of a double-right slip lane setup.

That's what threads like this turn into though. There's not much else to discuss, besides list other examples or go "huh, neat."

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2019, 10:11:04 AM
I don't think the point of the thread was to highlight every instance of a double-right slip lane setup.

That's what threads like this turn into though. There's not much else to discuss, besides list other examples or go "huh, neat."

The OP's example isn't a double-right slip lane setup.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2019, 10:11:04 AM

Sure. Threads tend to lose their focus over time. But given A) how specific the OP was, and B) how everyone was piggy-backing on one-another, posting examples of the same thing, none having to do with the OP, I figured I'd point out the lack of focus before the thread completely de-rails. It's obviously not my call; just my two-cents.

webny99

IMO, that means there probably isn't many examples similar to the OP.

Everyone's posting what comes to mind when they see the OP.. which in this case happens to be a lot of the same thing, but not something that matches the original example.

In short, if you start specific, expect general responses. And if you start general, expect specific responses.  :)

doorknob60

Quote from: jakeroot on May 28, 2019, 05:22:30 PM

That's certainly interesting. Is there a weight limit for that overpass? (requiring heavy loads to avoid the loop).

Reminds me a lot of this interchange in Olympia, WA, but that interchange has a signed "no left turn".

A weight limit would make sense, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Nothing like that signed either on 10th or on I-84. That Olympia interchange makes sense, and that's probably how this one should be signed. It may just be a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I wonder if the loop ramp was added later after the interchange was already present. I'd have to dig up some historic imagery to find out though. I checked Google Earth for the hell of it, and the oldest imagery on there is 1992, and the interchange is exactly as it is today. But maybe older imagery would tell a different story.

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 07, 2019, 05:47:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 28, 2019, 05:22:30 PM

A weight limit would make sense, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Nothing like that signed either on 10th or on I-84. That Olympia interchange makes sense, and that's probably how this one should be signed. It may just be a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I wonder if the loop ramp was added later after the interchange was already present. I'd have to dig up some historic imagery to find out though. I checked Google Earth for the hell of it, and the oldest imagery on there is 1992, and the interchange is exactly as it is today. But maybe older imagery would tell a different story.

I checked out Historic Aerials. The interchange was rebuilt in the early 80s to look as it does now. Still no clues, of course.

It does seem a bit "risky" to use the left turn. If you can manage to time it right, you can bang a free left and almost certainly end up ahead of the loop traffic. But if it turns red right as you approach it, you'll end up stopped for 10+ seconds for off-ramp traffic, totally destroying any lead you may have had.

US 89

I drove through here the other day and was reminded of this thread. 3200 West and 2100 South, Salt Lake City.

There are two channelized NB-to-EB movements: one coming directly from the 201 exit, the other coming from 3200 West.

Elm

In Westminster, CO, there used to be two right turns from eastbound 120th Ave to Federal Blvd (the path of southbound US 287), but it was removed around 2016. It's visible on Historic Aerials; in Google Maps, it's still around on the 3D view, but not on 2D.

Before the double right turn situation, the mainline road through in the area was US 287 (four lanes), following the curved path. Sometime between '71 and '91 (going by Historic Aerials), the roads were rearranged to make 120th & Federal the primary intersection, but a wide right turn was left on the former path of southbound 287. The highway had crossed a creek on that path, and the unused northbound bridge was left in place. Later, when the outer right turn lane was removed, the former northbound bridge was removed, and the southbound bridge was kept to carry a trail over the creek.

sprjus4

Quote from: Elm on June 08, 2019, 02:53:50 PM
In Westminster, CO, there used to be two right turns from eastbound 120th Ave to Federal Blvd (the path of southbound US 287), but it was removed around 2016. It's visible on Historic Aerials; in Google Maps, it's still around on the 3D view, but not on 2D.

Before the double right turn situation, the mainline road through in the area was US 287 (four lanes), following the curved path. Sometime between '71 and '91 (going by Historic Aerials), the roads were rearranged to make 120th & Federal the primary intersection, but a wide right turn was left on the former path of southbound 287. The highway had crossed a creek on that path, and the unused northbound bridge was left in place. Later, when the outer right turn lane was removed, the former northbound bridge was removed, and the southbound bridge was kept to carry a trail over the creek.
Doesn't this just make it harder for traffic exiting 119th Ave turning left? Because now they have to deal with all that traffic coming from US-287 South rather than that traffic being able to come in after the intersection.

Stupid redesign IMHO. The two channelized rights appears to have worked fine. The larger, free-flowing one for US-287 thru traffic, and the smaller one for traffic heading to 119th Ave.

thspfc

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 09, 2019, 12:21:01 AM
Quote from: Elm on June 08, 2019, 02:53:50 PM

That just seems like laziness from CDOT.

wanderer2575

There is a similar setup on southbound Lahser Road at I-696 in Southfield MI:  There is a loop ramp to eastbound I-696, but one could instead just turn left onto the service drive (one-way Coral Gables Street) intended for northbound Lahser Road traffic
https://goo.gl/maps/eTJoAdRpC3n5N4Yd6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.