News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on November 06, 2020, 05:46:11 PM
When do you think the Stroudsburg stretch of the I-80 project will be done? And what would the parts past that look like?

The Project Report accessed from the TIP Map says 2027.  Considering funding, we will see.

I think that the goal is for I-80 to eventually be six lanes from I-380 (Exit 293) to the east end of the US 209 concurrency (Exit 308).  However, anything widening west of PA 33 (Exit 302) is probably at least 15-20 years away.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 12, 2020, 09:25:11 PM
PennDOT is launching a PPP program that will toll bridges to pay for repairs. https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/11/12/PennDOT-bridge-tolls-road-repairs-public-private-partnership-E-ZPASS/stories/202011120180

Can't imagine this will go over very well, with our high fuel taxes (currently 2nd highest). However, repairs have to be paid for somehow...

A few bridges that may be suitable for this: I-81 George Wade Bridge, I-83 John Harris Bridge (especially if both are eventually tolled; this would make the PA Turnpike happy as well), I-70 Belle Vernon Bridge and Smithton High Level Bridge, I-80 Emlenton Bridge and both Susquehanna River bridges

jemacedo9

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 13, 2020, 12:02:38 AM
PennDOT is launching a PPP program that will toll bridges to pay for repairs. https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/11/12/PennDOT-bridge-tolls-road-repairs-public-private-partnership-E-ZPASS/stories/202011120180

Can't imagine this will go over very well, with our high fuel taxes (currently 2nd highest). However, repairs have to be paid for somehow...

A few bridges that may be suitable for this: I-81 George Wade Bridge, I-83 John Harris Bridge (especially if both are eventually tolled; this would make the PA Turnpike happy as well), I-70 Belle Vernon Bridge and Smithton High Level Bridge, I-80 Emlenton Bridge and both Susquehanna River bridges

This is going to be interesting to see how this works.

The I-80 Susquehanna River bridges were rehabbed within the last 10 years...the west crossing was widened with a CD lane maybe 10-15 years ago, and the east crossing was within the last 5. 

I think the two Harrisburg bridges and the I-70 bridges are prime candidates.  The I-80 Emlenton bridge also.  Maybe the I-79 and I-376 bridges over the Ohio River?  I wonder if any non-interstate bridges would be covered?  The US 22/322 Clarks Ferry Bridge?   

Crown Victoria

Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 13, 2020, 10:52:30 AM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 13, 2020, 12:02:38 AM

This is going to be interesting to see how this works.

The I-80 Susquehanna River bridges were rehabbed within the last 10 years...the west crossing was widened with a CD lane maybe 10-15 years ago, and the east crossing was within the last 5. 

I think the two Harrisburg bridges and the I-70 bridges are prime candidates.  The I-80 Emlenton bridge also.  Maybe the I-79 and I-376 bridges over the Ohio River?  I wonder if any non-interstate bridges would be covered?  The US 22/322 Clarks Ferry Bridge?   

With the I-376 bridge, it's a possibility, but could be a bit tricky considering Shell just built that big plant nearby. As for the I-79 bridge, it would work so long as the toll wouldn't impact Neville Island residents going to/from home.

As far as non-Interstate bridges, I agree with the Clarks Ferry Bridge, especially if tied in with an upgrade to the short surface section of US 22/322 immediately adjacent. I also thought about the US 30 Wright's Ferry Bridge, but that is easily shunpiked on the PA 462 Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge.

02 Park Ave

I can easily see the Girard Point Bridge on I-95 in Philadelphia being tolled.
C-o-H

Alps

Not surprised due to Act 44. They have no money to pay for repairs, so they will rely on the private sector to pay for them and then collect tolls. In other words, travelers now pay directly for repairs instead of through user fees/taxes. Sad reality of PennDOT's funding situation, but I'm not looking forward to the ramifications.

vdeane

Worse, this will set a precedent that will make similar schemes more likely to occur elsewhere.  I do wonder, though, what, if anything, FHWA will say about the provision allowing tolls to be diverted elsewhere.  That's what sunk the original proposal to toll I-80 in the first place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Not roads-related, but Pennsylvania related, so please forgive the brief off-topic aside...

I've noticed during the season of election coverage that news reporters and other observers have made a continual habit of pointing out that Pennsylvania is a "commonwealth" rather than* a "state"–they seem, lately, to take every opportunity to self-correct on this point. I don't remember this being a thing until just recently, and I'm wondering what precipitated it? Was there a memo or something?

*To be quite clear, I'm not asking what actually is the difference between the two terms–I already have a clear understanding of that, and it's certainly been discussed here before. I'm just wondering why the sudden attention to the nomenclature. I've only noticed it with respect to Pennsylvania, not to the other three "commonwealth" states.

(I would point out, however, that whenever people do note the distinction, it never has any actual bearing on the point they may be making. The distinction is merely one of style, as there is no legal or political difference between the terms as far as the 50 states are concerned. So this makes the phenomenon all the more curious!)

dkblake

Quote from: empirestate on November 14, 2020, 01:53:41 AM
Not roads-related, but Pennsylvania related, so please forgive the brief off-topic aside...

I've noticed during the season of election coverage that news reporters and other observers have made a continual habit of pointing out that Pennsylvania is a "commonwealth" rather than* a "state"–they seem, lately, to take every opportunity to self-correct on this point. I don't remember this being a thing until just recently, and I'm wondering what precipitated it? Was there a memo or something?

*To be quite clear, I'm not asking what actually is the difference between the two terms–I already have a clear understanding of that, and it's certainly been discussed here before. I'm just wondering why the sudden attention to the nomenclature. I've only noticed it with respect to Pennsylvania, not to the other three "commonwealth" states.

(I would point out, however, that whenever people do note the distinction, it never has any actual bearing on the point they may be making. The distinction is merely one of style, as there is no legal or political difference between the terms as far as the 50 states are concerned. So this makes the phenomenon all the more curious!)

As someone who grew up in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I know the feeling! I think it's simply using more official language for the election and possibly preempting pedantic commentators, and it sticks out because the other three commonwealths (MA, VA, KY) aren't swing states.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

VTGoose

Quote from: dkblake on November 16, 2020, 08:34:08 AM

As someone who grew up in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I know the feeling! I think it's simply using more official language for the election and possibly preempting pedantic commentators, and it sticks out because the other three commonwealths (MA, VA, KY) aren't swing states.

As someone who grew up in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and now lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it seems to be a point of pride about being a bit "uncommon" when it comes to "state" status.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

VTGoose

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 13, 2020, 12:03:59 PM

As for the I-79 bridge, it would work so long as the toll wouldn't impact Neville Island residents going to/from home.

Actually, it would have to consider the impact on the whole local area. The I-79 bridge is the main backup for local travel when the Sewickley Bridge is out of service and somewhat a backup when the McKees Rocks Bridge is blocked or out of service.

Bruce in Blacksburg (but a native of the 'burgh)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

MASTERNC

I think repairs to the bridges themselves have to be the central aspect of any tolling project.  Maybe they could do a minor bridge rehabilitation project and erect tolls there to pay for other transportation projects, but I imagine the most logical projects involve major replacements or widening projects that include bridges (say I-70 or I-81).

74/171FAN

Recent updates from PennDOT over the last few days:

PA 29 Realignment in Collegeville for new Royal Farms location:  https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6258
US 11 Closure due to rockslide in Northumberland County: https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-3/pages/details.aspx?newsid=3243
I-70 Update:  PennDOT launches the I-70 Belle Vernon Bridge to Bentleyville Reconstruction Project

empirestate

Quote from: VTGoose on November 16, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

As someone who grew up in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and now lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it seems to be a point of pride about being a bit "uncommon" when it comes to "state" status.

Nothing more specific, though? It seems to be all of a sudden, and relatively widespread (I've seen it across news networks, on Twitter, etc.), almost as if there had been a meme going around that everyone's reacting to.

odditude

Quote from: empirestate on November 16, 2020, 05:30:02 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on November 16, 2020, 09:31:08 AM

Nothing more specific, though? It seems to be all of a sudden, and relatively widespread (I've seen it across news networks, on Twitter, etc.), almost as if there had been a meme going around that everyone's reacting to.

it's been commonplace in Philadelphia-area news for as long as I can remember.

empirestate

Quote from: odditude on November 18, 2020, 01:48:45 PM
it's been commonplace in Philadelphia-area news for as long as I can remember.

Well, they're probably not getting it wrong in the first place. ;-)

74/171FAN

sbeaver44

briantroutman

I immediately knew the subject of the article just from "I-78"  and "landmark" –then "Berks County"  clinched it. (I assumed the article wasn't about the Pat Garret Amphitheater or the Assemblies of Yahweh transmitter.)  Roadside America will join the list of places that I meant to visit and then later learned had closed. And in this case, I used to drive the Lebanon/Berks stretch of I-78 as often as weekly during part of my college years, so I saw the building countless times over the years.

To anyone who had visited Roadside America: Did the diorama feature anything from a roadgeek perspective? Any freeway-like setups or interesting signage?

Crown Victoria

PennDOT will halt some projects next week without more funding:

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-nws-pa-road-projects-funding-20201123-q257mzrqjbguhkbl5nn5lx42nu-story.html

Quote from: briantroutman on November 22, 2020, 10:21:06 PM
I immediately knew the subject of the article just from "I-78"  and "landmark" –then "Berks County"  clinched it. (I assumed the article wasn't about the Pat Garret Amphitheater or the Assemblies of Yahweh transmitter.)  Roadside America will join the list of places that I meant to visit and then later learned had closed. And in this case, I used to drive the Lebanon/Berks stretch of I-78 as often as weekly during part of my college years, so I saw the building countless times over the years.

To anyone who had visited Roadside America: Did the diorama feature anything from a roadgeek perspective? Any freeway-like setups or interesting signage?

It's been quite some time since I was there myself but I'm sure there was something for the roadgeeks somewhere. Definitely good stuff for the railfans!

74/171FAN

noelbotevera

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 22, 2020, 10:34:27 AM
A Berks County landmark along I-78 closes forever...

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/roadside-america-closes-after-85-years-in-business/article_d4df6b22-2cc2-11eb-a453-5748f3fac08c.html?fbclid=IwAR1uXwOHX-dBzVzMxjfZviGVEmvZ3PoVxbs6DBjrlOtL9vizyGygs09XbUs
I'll be honest, I thought this place was a tourist trap; something like South of the Border and Wall Drug. Never stopped by - didn't look interesting and I was always on trips to better places.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.