News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2016 Meets

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, January 29, 2015, 02:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 12, 2015, 01:24:45 AM
The other primary issue is that since many of our core meet-going members are largely clustered in the same general region, it's difficult for them to have time/money to go to a lot of meets located outside the Northeast.

The power of population density. Roadgeeks are more densely clustered where people are more densely clustered.

But yes, time is an issue as well. For me (and I'm sure for a lot of people) anywhere that I need more than 5-6 hours to get to will require I take a day off from work to be there Saturday at noon.

Simple geography also means being located in the northeast puts me further away from a lot of things than might be ideal. From where I live, to get to the vast majority of the US, I have to begin my journey heading in a direction that uses only 60 degrees of the compass between 220 and 280 degrees azimuth. Every other direction either would involve driving into the ocean, or only get me to other places in the Northeast. Realistically if you live somewhere like Cincinnati or Nashville, you are more centrally located and have more ground within easy range.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

On the other hand, covering the same territory again in a few years is good for those of us who have only in the last couple of years been able to attend a ton of meets.  Even now I'm still not in a position to go out of daytrip range more than a few times a year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

This is true. The first meet I ever attended (Highland NY, 2009) was held in an area that had hosted another meet a few years prior. But it focused on two brand new things, so people who had attended the previous meet had reason to return. It seems to me to be another animal entirely to go and host a meet where one has been held before but not much has really changed in the intervening years.

Anyways, with regards to next year, my level of interest is at follows:
Halifax - I don't care what it takes if this happens I'm going. It's mandatory.
Toronto - eh, maybe. Depends on when and what's on the tour.
Albany/Capital region - Too close to home to say no although whether I attend both days or only one is an open question.
Tuxedo - too hilarious not to. Must attend in fancy clothes for the lulz.
Tappan Zee - I'll be there
Cincinnati - as with the Cincy meet a couple years ago, I won't be going because I've been there before and can't justify making that long a trip for a destination that isn't new to me.
Central PA - Attendance likely but not guaranteed

codyg1985

I am not sure if the OP is making edits to the original post, but due to yet another delay with the I-22/65 interchange, I am going to have to delay the meet once again to the Fall. I am hoping that by then everything is wrapped up.

As for meets to attend next year, I am probably going to go to less of them due to vacation time constraints as well as potential trips out west. I may be attending maybe the top three or four, at the most. Here are mine in priority order:

1) Birmingham Meet (duh)
2) Duluth Meet
3) Louisiana (south represent!!)
4) Tappan Zee
5) Toronto
6) Tuxedo
7) St Louis
8) Cincinnati
9) Corridor H
10) Albany
11) Halifax
12) Central PA
13) Chambersburg
14) North Illinois
15) NE Wisconsin

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

dgolub

I'm definitely doing Tappan Zee, Tuxedo, and Albany.  I'll probably do Central Pennsylvania as long as I can make the logistics work out.

froggie

Has there been a Louisiana meet since I left in '08?

As for me, it depends in part on timing and whether I have higher priorities elsewhere.  Albany's a fair chance.  Tappan Zee's possible.  Everything else is doubtful.

vdeane

My plans for next year are Tuxedo, Tappan Zee, Albany, Halifax, Corridor H, Toronto, and possibly Cincinnati.

Speaking of Albany, since the day 2 tour is notably shorter than the day 1 tour, I'm thinking of doing it as an evening bonus tour instead, possibly merging some of it into the main tour.  It would make for a longer day though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2015, 10:38:18 AM
Has there been a Louisiana meet since I left in '08?

As for me, it depends in part on timing and whether I have higher priorities elsewhere.  Albany's a fair chance.  Tappan Zee's possible.  Everything else is doubtful.

One was planned in 2013 for Shreveport, but never happened.

Re my interests - Definite on Chicago, optimistic on Duluth, doubtful on St Louis, Cincy, others are definitely out of the question.

NOTE: Updated OP to reflect additional meet plans
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

Thanks. My plan was that I wasn't going to add things to the list until it went from "I'm thinking about hosting this" to "I AM hosting this" but it's all good. :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 13, 2015, 07:35:47 AM
As for meets to attend next year, I am probably going to go to less of them due to vacation time constraints as well as potential trips out west. I may be attending maybe the top three or four, at the most. Here are mine in priority order:

1) Birmingham Meet (duh)
2) Duluth Meet
3) Louisiana (south represent!!)
4) Tappan Zee
5) Toronto
6) Tuxedo
7) St Louis
8) Cincinnati
9) Corridor H
10) Albany
11) Halifax
12) Central PA
13) Chambersburg
14) North Illinois
15) NE Wisconsin 

Here's my list in what I think is my priority order:

1) Duluth
2) Birmingham
3) Corridor H
4) Central PA
5) North Illinois
6) NE Wisconsin - I haven't heard about this meet yet. Who announced it?
7) Louisiana
8) Toronto

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get to all of those meets, but I'd certainly love to try. I don't really have any interest in St. Louis or Cincinnati because I've been to meets in both of those cities in the past two years and don't need to go again this soon. Same with Tappan Zee. As fun as that would be, I don't really feel the desire to go to another NYC-area meet anytime soon. Albany or Halifax (especially Halifax) could be very fun but also very unlikely given what's already in my top 8.
-A.J. from Michigan

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on July 12, 2015, 03:58:28 PM
On the other hand, covering the same territory again in a few years is good for those of us who have only in the last couple of years been able to attend a ton of meets.  Even now I'm still not in a position to go out of daytrip range more than a few times a year.

Yeah, being relatively new (I started going to meets in 2013), I definitely concur.  Also, there is often more in an area than we can cover in one day, so a repeat wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on July 12, 2015, 02:16:08 PM
Simple geography also means being located in the northeast puts me further away from a lot of things than might be ideal. From where I live, to get to the vast majority of the US, I have to begin my journey heading in a direction that uses only 60 degrees of the compass between 220 and 280 degrees azimuth. Every other direction either would involve driving into the ocean, or only get me to other places in the Northeast. Realistically if you live somewhere like Cincinnati or Nashville, you are more centrally located and have more ground within easy range.

And even then, there's not much new ground that can be covered in my case. If I'm going to something in the Northeast (or really, anything northeast of me) I have to take I-79 and I-68. I-79 was OK the first three times I drove it, but now it's something to be endured. And even the scenic wonders of I-68 are starting to get old. There's nothing new or thrilling about US 220/I-99 north of Cumberland. Once Corridor H is done, I will have exhausted all the Appalachian Mountain crossings, even some of the non-expressway ones like US 50, US 250 or US 33.

Going west offers the same lack of newness. I-64 to St. Louis? I-74 or I-65 to Indianapolis? BD,DT.

Plus, avoiding cities is something I prefer to do. Getting caught in traffic on I-75 in Cincinnati? Having to deal with the cluster foxtrot that is Atlanta? I don't think so, Tim. (To quote Al on "Home Improvement.")

Even if I did win the lottery or find a bag with a million dollars in it alongside the road and thus be able to start traveling for pleasure again, I'm running out of stuff to explore on the way to entirely new stuff. With the exception of the island counties in New York and Massachusetts, Maine is the only state left in the northeast where I can visit new counties. The closest states to me that I could conceivably finish off are Missouri and South Carolina.

This is where I need the cargo transporter from "Star Trek." Beam me and my vehicle to Kittery and let me start collecting Maine counties, or beam me to Dallas and I'll drive through the northwestern part of Texas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Unless you fly, no matter were you are, eventually it will get to a point to where you will have to drive through old stuff to get to the new stuff. I-65 north of Alabama, I-40 west of Tennessee, and I-75/81 have become very familiar corridors going north or west, as has I-59 going south.

Is it worth it? Absolutely.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TheHighwayMan3561

Chicago, NE WI, and St. Louis should be easy enough to reach. I also made overtures for Tuxedo, so I hope that can happen.

I'd love to go to Birmingham and the Louisiana meet too. I've never been to the Deep South before.

cjk374

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 14, 2015, 05:27:16 PM

I'd love to go to Birmingham and the Louisiana meet too. I've never been to the Deep South before.

I hope I can put together an interesting enough meet so it doesn't end up in the r00ined road meet thread.  :sombrero:

But most importantly I want y'all to enjoy your trip down here to where you will wanna come back to LA and visit again.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on July 14, 2015, 06:32:44 PM

I hope I can put together an interesting enough meet so it doesn't end up in the r00ined road meet thread.  :sombrero:

But most importantly I want y'all to enjoy your trip down here to where you will wanna come back to LA and visit again.

Me too. I know Duluth probably won't be the best meet people have ever been to, but I'm still gonna try my damnedest to make it the best meet people have ever attended. :sombrero:

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 14, 2015, 06:43:49 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 14, 2015, 06:32:44 PM

Me too. I know Duluth probably won't be the best meet people have ever been to, but I'm still gonna try my damnedest to make it the best meet people have ever attended. :sombrero:

When I lived in Superior, I thought that traffic light over I-35 where I-35/I-535/US 53 met was the most distinctive transportation-related feature of the area. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

I'd forgotten about Corridor H. That one I also have a good shot at attending.

In non-road meet related travel, it is all but decided that at some point next year during baseball season I will be in Texas for a week. My girlfriend and I are also looking at planning a trip to New Orleans but that will be a just the two of us thing and not coordinated with any Louisiana meet. 

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2015, 04:15:53 PM
And even then, there's not much new ground that can be covered in my case. If I'm going to something in the Northeast (or really, anything northeast of me) I have to take I-79 and I-68. I-79 was OK the first three times I drove it, but now it's something to be endured. And even the scenic wonders of I-68 are starting to get old. There's nothing new or thrilling about US 220/I-99 north of Cumberland. Once Corridor H is done, I will have exhausted all the Appalachian Mountain crossings, even some of the non-expressway ones like US 50, US 250 or US 33.

Going west offers the same lack of newness. I-64 to St. Louis? I-74 or I-65 to Indianapolis? BD,DT.

Plus, avoiding cities is something I prefer to do. Getting caught in traffic on I-75 in Cincinnati? Having to deal with the cluster foxtrot that is Atlanta? I don't think so, Tim. (To quote Al on "Home Improvement.")

Even if I did win the lottery or find a bag with a million dollars in it alongside the road and thus be able to start traveling for pleasure again, I'm running out of stuff to explore on the way to entirely new stuff. With the exception of the island counties in New York and Massachusetts, Maine is the only state left in the northeast where I can visit new counties. The closest states to me that I could conceivably finish off are Missouri and South Carolina.

This is where I need the cargo transporter from "Star Trek." Beam me and my vehicle to Kittery and let me start collecting Maine counties, or beam me to Dallas and I'll drive through the northwestern part of Texas.

I understand what you mean about all of this. For me, the same routes leaving Grand Rapids and Michigan in general have gotten pretty old over the years. I'm sick of the drive east on I-96 to south on U.S. 23 to the Ohio Turnpike, I'm sick of the drive west/south on I-196 toward Chicago, and I'm kinda sick of the drive on U.S. 31 and I-65 through Indiana going south. I will say, though, that the nice thing about U.S. 31 now is the bypass of Kokomo which didn't open until a couple years ago or so. That part is still kinda fresh and new, but otherwise that drive is boring.

However, it's the price I pay to get to new territory. One thing I'd like to do at some point is add new counties in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio - especially those counties that are holes which are surrounded by other counties I've collected already. I've got lots of county holes in those states to fill.

For me, though, I like driving through cities and can tolerate some traffic if it's not too bad and as long as I have some warning that a traffic jam is ahead.

I will never run out of things to explore. It's just that the more I drive, the more I have to tolerate old stuff before reaching new stuff. As Cody says, driving on all these familiar roads is absolutely worth it if it means getting to new stuff. I will admit, though, that sometimes I'd love to be beamed with my car to a different part of the country where I can explore new territory without the burden of passing through familiar territory.
-A.J. from Michigan

oscar

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 14, 2015, 05:21:55 PM
Unless you fly, no matter were you are, eventually it will get to a point to where you will have to drive through old stuff to get to the new stuff. I-65 north of Alabama, I-40 west of Tennessee, and I-75/81 have become very familiar corridors going north or west, as has I-59 going south.

For me, even the US routes radiating out of the D.C. area are all-too-familiar territory. So if I have to redo routes I've already done, I might as well use Interstates to get to new stuff more quickly. The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpikes, I-95 to Miami, and the "Trail of Tolls" up to northern New Jersey, are for me all too familiar, but a necessary evil (though I've not yet exhausted the non-Interstate alternatives between Virginia and south Florida).

I'm still on my fourth and probably last major road trip this year, including the ones to the Lyndonville and Denver meets. It'll probably be a few months before I even start thinking about next year's meets.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

I live near the I-87 / I-90 interchange (Exit 24 on the Thruway).  I have a day's drive before I hit any new real estate and that real estate diminishes with each year and I'll have to continually drive out further before hitting new ground. 

I also used to drive between here and Western Massachusetts each weekend for my first year working out here. 

So, am I tired of the trips west, south and east on the Thruway?  Heck, does a one-legged duck swim in circles?!

Still, as long as I am physically able, I'll head out on the road in search of new places.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

I'm probably going to see about attending the Birmingham Meet. Mostly depends on what college is like though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jpi

I should have a choice of dates nailed down for my central PA meet right around the week after Thanksgiving. The dates will be for April.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

The North Illinois meet has morphed into a South Bend/Elkhart, Indiana meet.  I have the locations to see mapped out, it's just a matter of finding a restaurant.  This is an area very underrepresented for meets (there's only even been a few in Indiana that I know of!).  The meet tour will cross over into Michigan for a bit as well (two of the roads happen to go there).  I figure May/June should be a good time, as long as I can avoid being at the same times as the Duluth and Birmingham meets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rawmustard

Quote from: Brandon on September 10, 2015, 03:51:23 PM
The North Illinois meet has morphed into a South Bend/Elkhart, Indiana meet.  I have the locations to see mapped out, it's just a matter of finding a restaurant.  This is an area very underrepresented for meets (there's only even been a few in Indiana that I know of!).  The meet tour will cross over into Michigan for a bit as well (two of the roads happen to go there).  I figure May/June should be a good time, as long as I can avoid being at the same times as the Duluth and Birmingham meets.

I should probably get around and dust off my plans for the US-131 bypass meet (with a couple prominent St. Joseph County bridges thrown in for good measure). It may complement the things going on in Elkhart/South Bend. There's also been murmuring of a Battle Creek meet, and I know just the venue where I want to have that (one of the co-owners was a former over-the-road truck driver who has a passing interest in roads).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.