News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Osceola Co FL: Planned Osceola Pkwy Extension

Started by Brian556, November 20, 2019, 09:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Roadsguy

Was this project originally intended to connect directly to the end of the existing Osceola Parkway? It seems odd that this project is being presented as an extension of the parkway when it doesn't connect directly to it, and is being built as a freeway whereas the existing road is just a surface parkway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Max Rockatansky

I can see maybe getting the Parkway to CR 15/Narcoossee Road given how much that area has blown up with new housing developments.  That said, I kind of find it irksome that there such a push to develop into all the open wetlands east of Narcoossee.  It was nice when I lived in the area to head east of Orlando and spend some time on one of the hundreds of lakes out that way or the St. Johns River. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2019, 12:07:24 AM
I can see maybe getting the Parkway to CR 15/Narcoossee Road given how much that area has blown up with new housing developments.  That said, I kind of find it irksome that there such a push to develop into all the open wetlands east of Narcoossee.  It was nice when I lived in the area to head east of Orlando and spend some time on one of the hundreds of lakes out that way or the St. Johns River.
My dad has said that he doesn't want to move us too close to MCO and its flight path(s). So it appears that your point is quite valid.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 21, 2019, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2019, 12:07:24 AM
My dad has said that he doesn't want to move us too close to MCO and its flight path(s). So it appears that your point is quite valid.

What I found interesting about development in Orlando was so many people were willing to live in places like Lake Nona and Narcoossee and just suffer through driving surface highway everywhere.  Semoran Boulevard (FL 436) and Sand Hill (FL 482) were some of the absolute worst surface routes I've had to deal with a regular basis.  OBT (Orange Blossom Trail) probably is the grand champion of awful in Orlando with all the traffic trying to take US 17/92/441 to avoid a toll road or I-4.  The trouble with Orlando is that it is largely constrained growth wise by areas like the Green Swamp to the west and St. John's River watershed.  I worked down in the Tradeport so at least most days I could make due with driving Bear Road through OIA/MCO to short cut to Semoran.  It will be interesting to see if the Osceola Parkway is extended in the end, there really is a limited access (lack of) issue in the southeast corner of the city and St. Cloud.

For what it was worth I lived off Semoran, the noise wasn't too bad three-four miles north of the airport. 

NE2

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 20, 2019, 11:38:46 PM
Was this project originally intended to connect directly to the end of the existing Osceola Parkway?
Yes. https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CFX-Concept-Studies-PAG-Osceola-Pkwy-Ext.-PPT_071817.pdf page 14. Simpson Road will provide the connection from the existing road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

edwaleni

FWIW: This plan was originally brokered when Brightline was negotiating with Deseret for right of way for the new railroad between Cocoa and MCO along the Beachline.

Deseret wanted more in return for just the ROW, so a complex horse trade was done with Flagler Development, Deseret, developers and CFX.

Deseret has plans to master develop more land between Innovation Way and Wewahotee, so CFX is part of a deal to extend Osceola Parkway. Flagler Development (which is a sister to Brightline) got some real estate near Kissimmee in return from Deseret and CFX will get ROW all the way through to Lake Myrtle.  Orange County plans to bring more east side connectivity down to the parkway at some future date. Brightline will pay CFX a "toll" out of the fare box, which in turn will be used to acquire ROW and fund construction.

So you Brightline customers will be interested in knowing that instead of a fuel tax funding a transit line, a passenger railroad will be funding a highway in this case.  In the 99 year agreement Brightline signed, I think the payments came out to something like .99 per passenger.  It's a very creative if not complex arrangement.

Brian556

One map shows the preferred alternative starting west of Simpson, and running east just north of the county line, but the next map shows the project starting at the Simpson/Boggy Creek Intersection and heading east, completely ignoring the part that would bypass the current Osceola/Simpson Intersection, and make the parkway a single roadway without turns

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CFX-Concept-Studies-PAG-Osceola-Pkwy-Ext.-PPT_071817.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.