News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Spotted last week at SR 1 and Jensen Road, near Watsonville, Calif.:

Scott5114

What's with the round yellow arrows?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kniwt

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 14, 2012, 12:20:23 AM
They were there that day only for a bicycle event.

Dr Frankenstein

"Bienvenue" as a greeting always takes an 'e'. And because Ohio is a state and starts with a vowel, it should be:
"Bienvenue en Ohio - Le cÅ"ur des États-Unis" Indeed, "noyau" doesn't sound quite right here, as it should be used when the "center" in question is more important than what is around it.

codyg1985

Quote from: Duke87 on February 14, 2012, 07:27:42 PM
Permanent signs with no construction in sight should not be orange! There are several of these along PA 154.

I know I am way late to the party on this one, but I have seen this in Alabama once along AL 124 at it's western terminus with AL 118 (old US 78): http://goo.gl/maps/nHLQ. I think this was done to get the driver's attention, but other methods could have been used (rumble strips, flashing lights, etc.)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Special K

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 14, 2012, 12:20:23 AM

Directions to places of strategic importance for the impending NATO invasion.

apeman33

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2012, 11:21:35 PM
Actually...

Even under normal circumstances, though, the signage at that intersection hasn't been right for a few years. This just made it worse. I'm pretty sure the arrow under the Bus. 169 sign in Richie's pic has always been just a left-only arrow when it should be a left/straight arrow.

WillWeaverRVA

This photo is quite old, and a few signs on southbound VA 288 have been replaced, but this section of Woolridge Road in Chesterfield County, Virginia is still heavily signed as SR 3840...when it's actually SR 668. I didn't realize this until today.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

elsmere241

OracleUsr

Yeah, I was curious about that, too.  Long-time Judge Parker reader
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

roadman65

Here is one that has gotten me confused.  If you follow NY 3 Eastbound in Watertown, NY you will find an assembly at the intersection of Massey Street for US 11 showing that Massey is indeed its alignment.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/7377294814/in/photostream  Then at another intersection with Washington Street ( a few blocks east of Massey Street) you will find another sign assembly that shows that Washington and straight through NY 3 EB is US 11. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/7377310728/in/photostream

Both cannot be, so one of the two assemblies is wrong then.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2012, 11:06:57 PM
Here is one that has gotten me confused.  If you follow NY 3 Eastbound in Watertown, NY you will find an assembly at the intersection of Massey Street for US 11 showing that Massey is indeed its alignment.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/7377294814/in/photostream  Then at another intersection with Washington Street ( a few blocks east of Massey Street) you will find another sign assembly that shows that Washington and straight through NY 3 EB is US 11. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/7377310728/in/photostream

Note in the background of the first photo, there's an assembly that reads TRUCK SOUTH US 11 straight.  My assumption is that the signs on Washington Street should have TRUCK banners.

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 15, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2012, 11:06:57 PM

Note in the background of the first photo, there's an assembly that reads TRUCK SOUTH US 11 straight.  My assumption is that the signs on Washington Street should have TRUCK banners.

I checked it out thorough, if you follow US 11 North on Washington, at Paddock Street (where the western so called alignment comes back to Washington Street) it has a shield directing you straight ahead on Washington.

Then if you head southbound on US 11 from the North at the split of Mill and Massey Streets it has signage directing you to Massey Street.  It is almost like the Massey alignment is for SB and the Washington, State Street, and Mill Street is for NB.

I have seen two different roadways used for two directions of travel before, but not both signed for it from adjoining routes.

The TRUCK banner does not make sense cause  Washington Street is through the Downtown area, where usually trucks are banned from.  Massey Street bypasses the business area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

national highway 1

Sign recycling gone wrong:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

CentralCAroadgeek

*LONG POST INCOMING*
All these signs are along I-680 northbound.
Next is this sign that has a little too much space between "Crow" and "Canyon"

The Diablo Road sign isn't just crowded, but also has a Helvetica speed sign next to it.

On this next sign, I'm pretty sure the I-680 pull-through sign is supposed to have down arrows instead of what's there.

This one has strange greenout on it, as well as a lot of other signs in the area. To me, this one is notable because the exit tab on the 262 sign has no border around it.

This last one just has a bunch of strange stuff on it. First is the state-named 780 shield, then the undersized "3/4" for the mileage.

kphoger

I guess 'erroneous' could be a synonym for 'having design errors'.....but.....I wouldn't really call any of those above signs 'wrong' in the sense of conveying erroneous information.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 18, 2012, 05:38:35 PM
The Diablo Road sign isn't just crowded, but also has a Helvetica speed sign next to it.
and that's very typical of when Caltrans modifies the sign layout to accommodate the exit tab.  If they had increased the sign panel height to 120 inches from 110, it would have made things layout better...

On this next sign, I'm pretty sure the I-680 pull-through sign is supposed to have down arrows instead of what's there.
This sign is original to when the 680-24 interchange was reconstructed back in 1999.  When the interchange was reconstructed, 680-bound traffic was switched from the right lanes to the left lanes and that might be a reason why the pull through sign has upward pointing arrows to drive home the point that the lane configuration has changed.

This one has strange greenout on it, as well as a lot of other signs in the area. To me, this one is notable because the exit tab on the 262 sign has no border around it.
This (and other) signs along this portion of I-680 between 24 and 242 were all replaced relatively recently (late 90's I believe) so they were not at the end of their useful lives.  This was one of the rare stretches where Caltrans tried to add exit numbers to existing button copy signs and frankly, they didn't do a very good job... a prime example was the sign you pictured.  The original sign kind of looked like this...

...the size and location of the route shield made it difficult to add an exit number.  I'm not sure why the exit tab has no border other than contractor laziness and the route shield leaves much to be desired.

This last one just has a bunch of strange stuff on it. First is the state-named 780 shield, then the undersized "3/4" for the mileage.
This sign had to be modified when the toll plaza was moved from the north end to the south end of the Benicia Bridge because it shows the distance to the toll plaza.  It also appears that this is an old porcelain sign (judging by how deep the green color is) which means it probably dates back to when I-680 was routed onto what is now I-780 and the current I-680 was CA-21.  That means, under the greenout that the I-780 shield sits on top of is probably an old CA-21 shield.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

hbelkins

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 17, 2012, 01:28:15 AM
Sign recycling gone wrong:

That's in Grayson, on the old alignment of KY 7 northbound approaching US 60. The sign was on an old assembly and was hanging like that. I myself took several pictures of it a number of years ago. I think it's gone now but I wouldn't swear to it.

My photo of the entire assembly is here:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2012, 10:56:11 PM
I think it's gone now but I wouldn't swear to it.

been gone for a while.  I tried finding it in July, 2007 and had no luck.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I see this kind of mistake a lot.  No, the lane doesn't actually end.  In some cases, the sign is posted in advance of a right-turn-only lane.  In this case, the lane actually is the slip between frontage road and mainline (the lane most traffic actually uses at this location).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Central Avenue

I didn't get a picture yet, but on OH 3 northbound just past I-270 there's a fairly recent US 3 reassurance assembly.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 05:35:10 PM
I see this kind of mistake a lot.  No, the lane doesn't actually end.  In some cases, the sign is posted in advance of a right-turn-only lane.  In this case, the lane actually is the slip between frontage road and mainline (the lane most traffic actually uses at this location).

I think that's the first time I've ever seen an overhead sign directing traffic between the mainline and frontage road (in OK, standard assemblies placed on the side of the frontage road and in the gore handle the situation much more cheaply).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

I've seen New Mexico do this with that sign on numerous occasions to indicate a lane is beginning

Also in New Mexico, Indian Route 4 signed as New Mexico 4 with ZUNI banner

US-163 signed as AZ 163

Along US-50 between La Junta and Canon City, CDOT seems to be favoring an erroneous three digit blank

US-287/385 signed as Oklahoma 287/385 in Boise City

US-59 signed as Arkansas 59 in De Queen

Weird New Mexico shield design on US-70/380

kphoger

Quote from: corco on June 28, 2012, 11:28:42 PM
I've seen New Mexico do this with that sign on numerous occasions to indicate a lane is beginning

Is that sign not approved for use?  I've seen it in other countries' list of highway signs so didn't realize we weren't supposed to use it here.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.