News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on November 14, 2020, 07:51:21 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 14, 2020, 07:28:34 PM
Facebook will still not allow the posting of the name "Ciaramella" without the attempt being flagged as being against community standards.

Have you tried appealing?

Wasn't given that option.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: edwaleni on December 10, 2020, 04:38:26 PM
Since Kentucky is the lead agency for the bridge, they will paint it UK blue and name it after Adolph Rupp.

Or they could name it after the most famous QB to ever play UK football.  George Blanda.

UK football, in my mind, is association football in the United Kingdom, or at least the term "football" in UK English.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

STLmapboy

Minor things that bother me?

This.

(yes, this is my second time today).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kurumi

Quote from: STLmapboy on December 23, 2020, 11:33:53 PM
Minor things that bother me?

This.

(yes, this is my second time today).

Aw, ya got me. No hard feelings, though. I'll show you the Antonym Game. You read a series of words and say their antonyms out loud, as quick as you can.

Example: tall narrow left weak loud

You would say, "short wide right strong soft".

Try another one:

always coming from take me down
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

That annoying, shirtless guy on YouTube ads that keeps telling me how to lose weight and be more manly.  It's got to be the most annoying YouTube ad so far,* and it seems to pop up on every other video.  Considering that I use YouTube to listen to full music albums in the background at work, it gets really old.

*  Yes, I know someone will happily post a counterexample to my assertion.  Please don't be so cruel as to post worse ones!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 11:04:28 AM
That annoying, shirtless guy on YouTube ads that keeps telling me how to lose weight and be more manly.  It's got to be the most annoying YouTube ad so far,* and it seems to pop up on every other video.  Considering that I use YouTube to listen to full music albums in the background at work, it gets really old.

*  Yes, I know someone will happily post a counterexample to my assertion.  Please don't be so cruel as to post worse ones!

"Running to lose weight works right?  Wrong.  It doesn't work and never has worked."

Yeah, hate that guy.  Running does work, don't try to pander whatever you are selling that way. 

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 11:04:28 AM

Welcome back!

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. He reminds me of somebody, although I haven't been able to think of who it is, and I suspect it's not anyone that's famous publicly that others here would know.

There's only two ads that are worse, and for very different reasons:
-Dr. Squatch "you're not a dish, you're a man"
-Pipedrive "ready to grow your sales?"

I've actually come to not mind the iPhone 12 ad with the 15 different things spilling all at once.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2021, 11:39:04 AM
Welcome back!

Thanks.  After Christmas, I disappeared down a rabbit hole of researching the historical basis for dating the nativity of Jesus to December 25.  I ended up writing 21 pages over the last few weeks.  Early on, I managed to dismiss both key source texts on the pagan/conspiracy side of the argument on scholarly grounds.  However, now I've also managed to dismiss both key source texts on the opposite side of the argument as well.  Which means I'm left with no silver bullet text on either side of the issue.  Along the way, I've discovered a minor error in the Catholic Encyclopedia, plus a rather egregious one in the Encyclopedia Britannica–one which everybody and their uncle quotes as authoritative, one in which the author apparently took someone else's supposition and treated it as fact when writing the encyclopedia article.  I've come to realize how rarely it is that people actually take the time to look at the source texts for themselves, how many people just quote someone else and assume that person did the legwork.  But I've also come to appreciate the fact that doing the legwork takes quite a bit of time.  And I can only imagine what it was like before the Internet.

So I have a bunch of un-writing, further research, and re-writing to do.  That's kind of daunting, I needed a break, so I popped back on here today and decided to catch up.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

"2020 was (is) the worst year ever."

Yes the virus has been bad and I do not diminish the losses of life the virus has been responsible for, but I hear this from everyone that had to quarantine for a few months while they got to play "grown up kid" the whole time, never saw any real work stoppage, still get to wear their yoga pants and get their Starbucks, and are just a little put off they have to wear a mask when they go out.  Yes, I hate that I can't go to sporting events either, but things could be worse, I could have had the virus!  It seems the people I hear complaining about it are mostly just complaining that people and the news continue talking about it. 

Not to say it hasn't been a very weird year, but glass houses.  There was a lot of great things that came out of the past year as well. Some of the things we were told we couldn't do freed up time for some of us to start a new hobby, or we actually realized we loved our families after being forced to spend time with them. 

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 13, 2021, 01:52:59 PM

Yes the virus has been bad and I do not diminish the losses of life the virus has been responsible for, but I hear this from everyone that had to quarantine for a few months while they got to play "grown up kid" the whole time, never saw any real work stoppage, still get to wear their yoga pants and get their Starbucks, and are just a little put off they have to wear a mask when they go out.  Yes, I hate that I can't go to sporting events either, but things could be worse, I could have had the virus!  It seems the people I hear complaining about it are mostly just complaining that people and the news continue talking about it. 

Not to say it hasn't been a very weird year, but glass houses.  There was a lot of great things that came out of the past year as well. Some of the things we were told we couldn't do freed up time for some of us to start a new hobby, or we actually realized we loved our families after being forced to spend time with them. 

I think it's not just the virus, but also the social unrest and political fighting.  People think of the combination when calling this the worst year.

As for "things could be worse, I could have had the virus"...  My dad got the virus a few weeks ago, and he described it as being the lightest case of the flu he's ever had.  Staying home was the hardest part for him.  Obviously, there are others who haven't had such an easy time as that:  all I'm saying is that getting the virus isn't necessarily worse than __________ fill in the blank.

But what I really got tired of is people who just couldn't wait to "make it past 2020".  Why?  Are things substantially different now?  Is the virus gone?  Are Republicans and Democrats getting along as friends now?  Did some sort of magic happen with the turn of the calendar page?  Fortunately, the sentiment seems to have fizzled out over the past month.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
But what I really got tired of is people who just couldn't wait to "make it past 2020".  Why?

It's a combination of the vaccine and the change in administration (neither of which are exactly when 2020 turns to 2021, but they're close enough).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2021, 02:37:02 PM

But what I really got tired of is people who just couldn't wait to "make it past 2020".  Why?

It's a combination of the vaccine and the change in administration (neither of which are exactly when 2020 turns to 2021, but they're close enough).

Except I know Trump supporters who don't care very much about the vaccine, and a lot of them have expressed the same thing about looking forward to turning the calendar page to 2021.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

But what I really got tired of is people who just couldn't wait to "make it past 2020".  Why?  Are things substantially different now?  Is the virus gone?  Are Republicans and Democrats getting along as friends now?  Did some sort of magic happen with the turn of the calendar page?  Fortunately, the sentiment seems to have fizzled out over the past month.

Nope. I think we can all agree that while the calendar may say 2021, the year is still 2020 in spirit until the vaccine is widely distributed and life starts to resemble its 2019 self.

Similarly, Jan/Feb 2020 should be considered part of 2019.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2021, 02:41:04 PM
Nope. I think we can all agree that while the calendar may say 2021, the year is still 2020 in spirit until the vaccine is widely distributed and life starts to resemble its 2019 self.

Meh.  Other than that brief time in the Spring when everything was shut down, 2020 hasn't been all that bad for my family.
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

I think it's not just the virus, but also the social unrest and political fighting.  People think of the combination when calling this the worst year.
For me 2020 from day 1 would've been my worst year even if the pandemic and social unrest had never happened, although I do think "2020 wAs tHE WOrsT yEar evER" is highly overused as a joke and it kinda hurts me when people use that phrase simply because they were locked in their house all year and got ticked off by something political on Facebook. I had to deal with that same stuff that everyone else experienced along with the other crap I experienced as well.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 02:45:03 PM

Meh.  Other than that brief time in the Spring when everything was shut down, 2020 hasn't been all that bad for my family.

That's my point.  It was actually pretty good to my family.  There were minor inconveniences and everyone I have heard take the stance of "get past 2020" also had minor inconveniences that they are throwing self pity to the world about.  What would you rather have; 2020 when we have to wear masks with our favorite football team's logo on it to the grocery store, or any of the years during the Civil War or either World War?  I will take 2020 in a second. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CoreySamson on January 13, 2021, 02:49:43 PM
For me 2020 from day 1 would've been my worst year even if the pandemic and social unrest had never happened, although I do think "2020 wAs tHE WOrsT yEar evER" is highly overused as a joke and it kinda hurts me when people use that phrase simply because they were locked in their house all year and got ticked off by something political on Facebook. I had to deal with that same stuff that everyone else experienced along with the other crap I experienced as well.

I guess my point is most people that say "2020 is the worst year ever" are exactly the definition of 1st world problems and pity.  Most people living in poverty would love to be stuck at their 3,000 square foot house all day. 

kphoger

And heck, how much money did Uncle Sam send you this year, too?  (OK, this last round happened in 2021, but still...)  Not just the stimulus checks either, but increases in food stamps too, for those who rely on that.

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 13, 2021, 02:53:08 PM
I guess my point is most people that say "2020 is the worst year ever" are exactly the definition of 1st world problems and pity.  Most people living in poverty would love to be stuck at their 3,000 square foot house all day. 

Well, there are plenty of those people living in poverty in other countries who also get to be stuck at their 600-sqft house all day because of COVID, and they're not loving it.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 02:45:03 PM

My "nope" was in response to "are things substantially different now".

2020 wasn't that bad for me either - as I outlined here - but 2021 so far doesn't deserve a separate year. It's just more of 2020.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 02:55:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 13, 2021, 02:53:08 PM

Well, there are plenty of those people living in poverty in other countries who also get to be stuck at their 600-sqft house all day because of COVID, and they're not loving it.

Again, my point is not to the people who are living in squalor.  I am referring to the people who I know that do live a very privileged life and a very privileged existence who go on and on in reality or on Facebook with memes about "if 2020 where a toilet paper, it would be toilet paper that looks like a cheese grater."  It's just old and none of the people I am talking about really suffered more than "I just can't see that movie I wanted to see because theaters were closed."   

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Similarly, Jan/Feb 2020 should be considered part of 2019.

Nah, I don't think we can agree on that.  2021 is a new year.  People are getting the vaccine.  In some states, things have opened up a bit more.  I'm already looking forward to a few trips I should be able to take.

For me, 2020 really wasn't all that bad.  Yeah, the virus sucked.  I missed out on a trip we were supposed to take.  But we changed it up and still managed to take 2 trips, including one that was about as last minute as we could get.  It turned out to be a fantastic vacation to a lakefront house with kayaks, and we spent a whole week social distancing more than if we were at home.  In this regard, 2020 was just like 2019 for me.  Which was like 2018.  Which was like 2017...

Since mid-March, I have worked from home, waking up later than when I normally would've left for the office.  The first half of that month sucked no doubt, wondering if we would even be able to do this successfully. Since then, we've thrived.

kphoger

I should say, though, that I know a lot of teachers, and their lives really have been a heck of a roller-coaster this past year.  And that roller-coaster hasn't stopped running yet either.

Imagine trying to teach grade school music on Zoom.  Imagine trying to teach students with special needs online.  Yuck...
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

As for "things could be worse, I could have had the virus"...  My dad got the virus a few weeks ago, and he described it as being the lightest case of the flu he's ever had.  Staying home was the hardest part for him.  Obviously, there are others who haven't had such an easy time as that:  all I'm saying is that getting the virus isn't necessarily worse than __________ fill in the blank.

I had it back in October, and it wasn't really that bad at the time–I had a couple days of fever and a lot of coughing. It sucked, but I've had worse colds. The really bad thing about covid is the lingering effects–everything still tastes different than it did before, my sense of smell is shot (to the point that I have no idea that the meat in my fridge has gone bad without physically opening the drawer and checking it visually), any time I do any sort of physical labor I feel lightheaded and sore for the rest of the day, and my joints are sore all the time now. And I'm only 30. So although it's nice knowing I had it and survived and have some degree of immunity, I wish I hadn't ever caught it.

The guy I caught it from died from it, though. So it could be worse.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.