News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

airdrop not working with android phones
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2023, 12:50:32 AM
airdrop not working with android phones

Saves me from getting dick pics on planes.

ZLoth

Last week, I purchased a Fire HD 8 Tablet, 8" HD Display (2020 release, 10th Gen) from Woot! for $30, and it arrived last night. However, I'm having problems registering the device to my Amazon account. I reset my Amazon password, attempted to and failed to update the firmware, checked the connectivity, switched the WiFi connection from DHCP to static IP address and DNS, and even disabled the One-Time Password. I reached out to Amazon Device Support, and find out that the device was "blacklisted". Amazon Device Support won't remove the blacklisting and has advised me to reach out to Woot! (which is a Amazon company) for further assistance. I have emailed Woot!, and am pending a response. But, yay on non-accurate and non-helpful error messages. :banghead:
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on July 19, 2023, 09:25:44 AM
Oh? Are you on a Android phone or a iPhone?
Android.
[/quote]
Make, model of the phone, and version of the Android OS you are running?

vdeane

The fact that people always wait until I'm in a meeting to bother me with something.  I could have nothing going on all day, nothing happening, but as soon as I put on my headset for a Zoom/WebEx, BAM, suddenly everyone wants to come over to my desk and talk.  And the headset doesn't dissuade them, either, so I'm stuck having to concentrate on two things at once.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on July 21, 2023, 12:56:49 PM
The fact that people always wait until I'm in a meeting to bother me with something.  I could have nothing going on all day, nothing happening, but as soon as I put on my headset for a Zoom/WebEx, BAM, suddenly everyone wants to come over to my desk and talk.  And the headset doesn't dissuade them, either, so I'm stuck having to concentrate on two things at once.

All the time, especially when I'm trying to attend some online training, and several urgents come up.

Along the same lines, I'm working from home, and everything is quiet. I'm preparing something in the kitchen and hear my work phone go off. I make a mad dash back to my home office.... and it's phone spam.

LilianaUwU

When I'm first in line at self checkout and the person who just paid for their stuff still hasn't put their grocery in their bag. As soon as you scan whatever you're buying, you should put it in the bag!!!
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 21, 2023, 08:09:36 PM
When I'm first in line at self checkout and the person who just paid for their stuff still hasn't put their grocery in their bag. As soon as you scan whatever you're buying, you should put it in the bag!!!

Part of the problem locally in California is ten cent grocery store bags suck and are hard to pull apart.  About 20% of the time I get lucky and I don't have to fight to separate them.  I get it they are trying to "encourage me"  to use reusable bags but that's not likely to happen if my wife isn't with me.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 08:57:10 PM

Part of the problem locally in California is ten cent grocery store bags suck and are hard to pull apart.  About 20% of the time I get lucky and I don't have to fight to separate them.  I get it they are trying to "encourage me"  to use reusable bags but that's not likely to happen if my wife isn't with me.

But do you at least bag as you check out? That seems to be the issue here, people just tossing their goods onto the "scale" and then bagging after check out.

Big John

There is no state law in Wisconsin, but the grocery bags suck too.  While trying to open them, the checkout yells at me to bag the item I just scanned.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2023, 10:08:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 08:57:10 PM

But do you at least bag as you check out? That seems to be the issue here, people just tossing their goods onto the "scale" and then bagging after check out.

I try to, but it really depends if the bags are easy to open not.  I do find myself getting annoyed more often than I like which leads to be scanning first and trying to throw everything in the bag at the end.  Big John illustrated one of the issues the kiosk gives you if you don't put the items in the bagging area fast enough.

kkt

Self-checkout.

I am not a checker.  I check out maybe once a week, maybe not even that.  I will never be anywhere near as fast or accurate or good at bagging as someone who does it full time. 

Besides, that's somebody's job.  That person is now on the street.  Do I get the money they would have made when I'm going their job?  No, I do not.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on July 21, 2023, 11:00:32 PM

Self-checkout.

I am not a checker.  I check out maybe once a week, maybe not even that.  I will never be anywhere near as fast or accurate or good at bagging as someone who does it full time. 

Besides, that's somebody's job.  That person is now on the street.  Do I get the money they would have made when I'm going their job?  No, I do not.

Jobs were also created that help design, build, install and maintain those self checkouts. While a cashier may not be needed now, but other jobs were created.

Also, while people get upset about scanning their own groceries, most people have no problem pumping their own gas, which also could be done by employees of a store.

Max Rockatansky

Self-checkout.

I used to agree, but then I discovered self check out is a good way to bypass annoyingly slow customers.  In particular those who write checks, engage in unnecessary banter with the cashier or get in express lines with large numbers of items.  Besides, the less I have to interact with random strangers tends to be something I view as a win.

Hobart

Self-checkout.

I feel this a little bit, but sometimes the checker barely knows what they're doing as well. I like having more direct control over what goes in what bag, like in lower-end stores (like Kroger, actually)! Otherwise, you get the situation where there's one item per bag.

Plus I always have a fear of the cashier judging what I'm buying, or asking questions. I have enough difficulty getting through the store, I don't want to have to explain to people what my items are for.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SSOWorld

Self checkouts at HyVee really annoy me - I think that GlaDOS has taken over

"Have you USED your HyVee Fuel Saver Plus PERS reWARDS CARD today?"
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on July 21, 2023, 08:47:36 AMLast week, I purchased a Fire HD 8 Tablet, 8" HD Display (2020 release, 10th Gen) from Woot! for $30, and it arrived last night. However, I'm having problems registering the device to my Amazon account. I reset my Amazon password, attempted to and failed to update the firmware, checked the connectivity, switched the WiFi connection from DHCP to static IP address and DNS, and even disabled the One-Time Password. I reached out to Amazon Device Support, and find out that the device was "blacklisted". Amazon Device Support won't remove the blacklisting and has advised me to reach out to Woot! (which is a Amazon company) for further assistance. I have emailed Woot!, and am pending a response. But, yay on non-accurate and non-helpful error messages. :banghead:

As an update, I just received a email from Woot! telling me that they are sending out a replacement device ASAP, and that I won't be required to return the old one. Just dispose of it.  :-/

ZLoth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 08:57:10 PMI am not a checker.  I check out maybe once a week, maybe not even that.  I will never be anywhere near as fast or accurate or good at bagging as someone who does it full time. 

Did you try asking for an employee discount?  :poke:

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 08:57:10 PMPart of the problem locally in California is ten cent grocery store bags suck and are hard to pull apart.  About 20% of the time I get lucky and I don't have to fight to separate them.  I get it they are trying to "encourage me"  to use reusable bags but that's not likely to happen if my wife isn't with me.

This whole 10¢ per bag is a crock and a money grab. Ever hear of "Reduce-Reuse-Recycle". I recycle my plastic bags as small trash bags which are quite handy for pet waste. Did any of the legislators own a pet? Plus, you have to remember to put the bags in the trunk and take them to the store with you.

GaryV

Self-checkout.

You refusing to use self-checkout is not going to get that person's job back. The store won't hire more checkers; the lines at the registers will just get longer. Don't like it? The store's solution is to use self-checkout.

That said, Meijer in our area switched from "normal" lanes for self-checkout (you scan it, then put it on the ramp to go down to the bagging area). Now they have a large corral of self-checkout stations. Sure, there's just one line and you're guaranteed to not get stuck behind someone who is extra slow. But each station only has spots to load 2 bags. Doesn't anyone buy a whole shopping cart load of groceries anymore?

1995hoo

I just got yet another phishing scam purporting to be from the IRS, perhaps 15 minutes after receiving one purporting to be from one of my credit card issuers. Both were obvious scams, but what puzzles me is how spam filters can be so darn aggressive at picking up messages that are sometimes perfectly legitimate yet allow utterly obvious crap like these to go through. The broken English subject line should be a dead giveaway: "Importants Your Tax Not Claimeds - IRS Send Your Tax Funds Please Verify." That reads like something Gollum might have written.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

^^ I think many spam filters are programmed to pick up key words or phrases.  Meaning misspelled words, intentional or unintentional, get past the filters.

1995hoo

"IRS"  and "tax refund"  alone ought to be enough!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: Hobart on July 22, 2023, 01:19:35 AM

Self-checkout.

I feel this a little bit, but sometimes the checker barely knows what they're doing as well. I like having more direct control over what goes in what bag, like in lower-end stores (like Kroger, actually)! Otherwise, you get the situation where there's one item per bag.

Plus I always have a fear of the cashier judging what I'm buying, or asking questions. I have enough difficulty getting through the store, I don't want to have to explain to people what my items are for.
That, and my bags have a little plastic thing to put at the bottom to help them keep their shape.  Do any baggers actually put that thing down?  No, not even at Wegmans, which is where I got the bags in the first place, so they should really know better (although I can understand why baggers at other stores don't, since other stores don't include the plastic thing).  Between those things, I find myself inevitable repacking my groceries whenever I use a manned checkout, so I may as well just do it myself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2023, 11:20:45 PM

Self-checkout.

I used to agree, but then I discovered self check out is a good way to bypass annoyingly slow customers.  In particular those who write checks, engage in unnecessary banter with the cashier or get in express lines with large numbers of items.  Besides, the less I have to interact with random strangers tends to be something I view as a win.

I don't even remember the last time I saw someone writing a check in a grocery store.  When checks in grocery stores were a thing, thoughtful people filled out everything in the check except the amount while they were waiting in line, before the cashier even started ringing them up.  It was almost never a source of delay.

kkt

Quote from: GaryV on July 22, 2023, 06:30:09 AM

Self-checkout.

You refusing to use self-checkout is not going to get that person's job back. The store won't hire more checkers; the lines at the registers will just get longer. Don't like it? The store's solution is to use self-checkout.

And my solution is to use a store that has checkers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.