News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 12:24:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 13, 2024, 10:48:32 AM
It took you twice the effort to type this post than it would have taken to Google "how to scan QR code". (But I know it's less about learning how to use a phone camera and more about complaining for the sake of complaining.)

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2024, 11:01:02 AM
Yep, even more arrogant commentary towards me specifically from you as you assume it is intuitive technology for everyone. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, he didn't assume it should be intuitive for you.  Actually, he suggested that, if you really wanted to know how to scan a QR code, then you might have googled it—and the fact that you haven't done so leads him to believe you don't really want to know.

While that position does have an air of superiority, you must also admit that he has a point.

Quote from: thspfc on February 13, 2024, 12:16:48 PM
2+2=4 isn't intuitive, yet we still expect people to know it.

Oh.  Never mind.  Apparently you really do think everyone over the age of five should already know how to scan QR codes.
Both can be true:

1) scanning a QR code is a learned skill, like elementary school addition is.
2) whether it's "intuitive" or not, it is incredibly easy and I think repeatedly complaining about not being able to do it is ridiculous, especially when it takes less effort to learn it than it does to complain about it.

Big John

I have tried googling it.  It explained what it stood for, but not how to use it.  Will try to use 1995hoo's explanation when the time comes.

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2024, 12:29:08 PM
I have tried googling it.  It explained what it stood for, but not how to use it.

This doesn't work?

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

This is when I miss when lmgtfy.com was still active. (Don't try to go there now; I think it might be rogue.) It stood for "Let Me Google That For You" and basically consisted of a search bar where you typed something, and it generated a little "movie" of someone googling the exact some search then forwarded you to the search results page for Google. Then you could post a link to that movie to someone that chose not to investigate for themselves. Snarky, but it got the point across.

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2024, 09:45:09 AM

• The fact that I can never spell "received" correctly on the first try, even though it's a word I write/type all the time

Brace yourself...

The very weird mnemonic I use for words like receipt and receive was that I learned a slang word called "recce" (pronounced like "wreck-key") which is short for reconnaissance. It only makes sense to me because I'd heard of that word (recce) when I was about 5-6, but didn't know what it was shortened from and learned how to spell the other two examples. And I don't think I've since heard too many people say it; rarely in-person nor on TV/movies, and was only reminded of it when I read a book a little later where someone used it in dialogue.

We pick up bits of our languages in odd ways sometimes. But that's what we said before playing Army and "attacking" the other kids with our finger guns in our backyards. "We'll recce to John's house! Yeah!"

This may not help you at all. But I can never remember the "I before E, except after C, like bowling and brontosaurus...oh wait, neither one has an E."

Big John

I Googled qr codes for dummies and didn't get that.  :-/

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 13, 2024, 12:45:23 PM
This is when I miss when lmgtfy.com was still active. (Don't try to go there now; I think it might be rogue.) It stood for "Let Me Google That For You" and basically consisted of a search bar where you typed something, and it generated a little "movie" of someone googling the exact some search then forwarded you to the search results page for Google. Then you could post a link to that movie to someone that chose not to investigate for themselves. Snarky, but it got the point across.

I tried that first.  When it returned something less than useful, I did a screenshot instead.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2024, 12:51:09 PM
I Googled qr codes for dummies and didn't get that.  :-/

I dunno. Not trying to make you feel bad, but...

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 11:52:29 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2024, 11:41:51 AM
About six months ago my dad gave me a desk. It's a big, solid, sturdy, 1970s-era US government desk. It has a very dense, heavy desktop much like a countertop, with steel drawers. It was a bitch and a half to drag across two time zones.

...And it doesn't fit in my apartment so I'm going to have to get rid of it.

Just lift it up over the patio wall and in through the sliding glass door.  Get eight of your neighbors to help you out, should be no problem.  Unless there's a hedge in front of the patio wall, in which case you might need twice as many helpers.

Oh, no, we have it in the apartment already; it comes apart. It's just that if I set it up in the space I have allotted for a desk, I can't also have a nightstand. Or if I do, I can't use the drawers on the left side of the desk because the nightstand would be in the way.

Losing 500 square feet sucks.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Until recently, you couldn't just use the camera app on an iPhone to scan a QR code. You had to download a QR code scanner. I had a free one, as there were more than one to choose from in the App Store. I don't know when the native scanning ability was built in to the iOS.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

My desk is 3 feet deep by 6 feet wide by 29½ inches wide, and is very "bare bones", but had space for what I need to do. Alas, it's no longer sold at Amazon. And, I wish it was wider...
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

J N Winkler

Personally, I'm glad LMGTFY went away.  It was a great way to start fights in online discussion spaces, and never accounted for the fact that finding relevant results quickly through Google search may require background knowledge the searcher just doesn't have.

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2024, 01:48:45 PMUntil recently, you couldn't just use the camera app on an iPhone to scan a QR code. You had to download a QR code scanner. I had a free one, as there were more than one to choose from in the App Store. I don't know when the native scanning ability was built in to the iOS.

This is a perfect example.  You sort of have to know or suspect there are smartphone OSes (or versions thereof) still in circulation that don't have the built-in capability in order to get to a Google search that may actually produce useful results, like {how to scan QR codes using Android phone released in 2014} (no braces).

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2024, 01:34:47 PMOh, no, we have it in the apartment already; it comes apart. It's just that if I set it up in the space I have allotted for a desk, I can't also have a nightstand. Or if I do, I can't use the drawers on the left side of the desk because the nightstand would be in the way.

Is it an option to use part of the desk surface area temporarily as a nightstand?  That kind of 1970's government surplus is well-built and well-nigh impossible to replace.  (We have one of those desks downstairs.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hotdogPi

It was banned via case law anyway, although the ruling is over a decade old.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 26, 2012, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2012, 11:39:36 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2012, 11:06:09 AM
Using "Let Me Google That For You" is demeaning and rude.
So is asking questions that can be answered with a simple search.

No, it's not. Don't link to LMGTFY again. This isn't negotiable.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

I miss lmgtfy.  Those were the days...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2024, 11:41:51 AM
About six months ago my dad gave me a desk. It's a big, solid, sturdy, 1970s-era US government desk. It has a very dense, heavy desktop much like a countertop, with steel drawers. It was a bitch and a half to drag across two time zones.

...And it doesn't fit in my apartment so I'm going to have to get rid of it.

Oh, that's too bad.  Measure twice, haul once.

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on February 13, 2024, 12:48:49 PM
This may not help you at all. But I can never remember the "I before E, except after C, like bowling and brontosaurus...oh wait, neither one has an E."

That rule has so many exceptions that you might as well not try to remember it, and just concentrate on learning each word.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on February 13, 2024, 04:02:05 PM

That rule has so many exceptions that you might as well not try to remember it, and just concentrate on learning each word.
I before E except after C and in words like neighbor and weigh...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2024, 04:11:22 PM

And weird is spelled weird.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 04:16:16 PM

Ironicially, the I before E rule actually works for recieve(d). Works fine on paper, just not in my brain.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2024, 04:28:04 PM
Ironicially, the I before E rule actually works for recieve(d). Works fine on paper, just not in my brain.

Huh?
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

Einstein proved it false twice for the science.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 04:16:16 PM

SMH.

formulanone

^ Pretty much this.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 05:08:26 PM

Huh?

LOL... I told you I couldn't spell it right.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.