News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

VDOT plans to push US 301 as alternative to I-95

Started by cpzilliacus, February 19, 2017, 12:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 21, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
I have never seen either Maryland SHA or Virginia DOT ever post an "alternative" sign for an Interstate.

The closest VDOT gets to doing this is with signs on southbound I-95 near Ashland and northbound I-95 south of Petersburg suggesting I-295 as an alternative to Rocky Mount NC/Washington respectively.

VDOT also uses VMSes to suggest US 460 as an alternate route to Virginia Beach and Norfolk (which it is, and a good one at that compared to traffic-choked I-64), although again it's not quite the same.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

VDOT prominently advertised in various forms of media in advance of the rehab of I-95 through Richmond so that motorists would take I-295 during that project (there were even advert inserts at gas pumps in Fredericksburg.

VDOT signed I-95 ALT or DETOUR signs a number of years ago when the Emporia-to-NC debacle of pavement rehab was taking place.  Motorists were directed to use US 301 and NC 48.

VDOT also has folded emergency I-95 detour signs in place from Richmond to Washington along US 1, though I've seen some of them down when there was no problems ongoing.

I had a recent experience with ALT/DETOUR interstate postings.  SCDOT is doing something major to the I-95 SB bridge over the Great Pee Dee River.  There were VMS signs starting in Dillon advising following a detour route that started at SC 38.  When I got to SC 38, the queue to the bridge had already reached it (6 miles away).  I took the detour (SC 38 and US 301) and not many others did so, despite the ample warnings in place by SCDOT.

My personal opinion is that this US 301 to MD suggestion will either not be used by very many or if it is will be terrible for those using it once they reach Dahlgren.  VDOT should also at least on their website tout CBBT as an alternative to I-95 traffic heading to the Wilmington DE or further north area.

Rothman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2017, 04:03:37 PM
I have never seen either Maryland SHA or Virginia DOT ever post an "alternative" sign for an Interstate.

The closest VDOT gets to doing this is with signs on southbound I-95 near Ashland and northbound I-95 south of Petersburg suggesting I-295 as an alternative to Rocky Mount NC/Washington respectively.

VDOT also uses VMSes to suggest US 460 as an alternate route to Virginia Beach and Norfolk (which it is, and a good one at that compared to traffic-choked I-64), although again it's not quite the same.
Just be careful of the speed trap town of  Waverly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

I agree that Waldorf is a mess, but I always have trouble remembering which area is actually Waldorf and which area is St. Charles. Sometimes Bowie is congested too. I've never had issues through La Plata.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on February 21, 2017, 11:14:02 PM
I agree that Waldorf is a mess, but I always have trouble remembering which area is actually Waldorf and which area is St. Charles. Sometimes Bowie is congested too. I've never had issues through La Plata.

I have had significant bad experience getting through LaPlata, especially  southbound on 301.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

It's probably just best that this route remains a "best kept secret". The route through Southern Maryland is just too developed for through traffic and I seriously doubt there will ever be any bypasses built because of the wetlands. They could go the extreme (and I do mean EXTREME) and do a US 29/Rio Road-like grade separation thing but it would have to be at so many junctions that it wouldn't even be logical because of sheer cost.. MD wouldn't be able to afford it. I simply don't see a fix to this area at all
Newark born, Richmond bred

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2017, 05:36:46 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2017, 04:03:37 PM

Just be careful of the speed trap town of  Waverly.

Wakefield is just as bad.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Windsor too. Ivor isn't as bad, although the last time I went that way it was the only town of the four where I saw a cop.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.