News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Are they ever going to demo the no longer used toll gates on the George Bush Tollway?

-- US 175 --

Haven't heard anything about changes along the Bush Turnpike except for adding lanes in each direction; not sure if they're done with that or not.  The toll gate structures look like there might be other uses going on, at least on 1 side at each one.  There's always NTTA officials and TxDPS officers at most of them, plus now the one between Belt Line and TX 114 also has an added feature: a Tolltag store.  Previously, drivers couldn't get Tolltags anywhere but off-highway storefronts or the NTTA headquarters.

-- US 175 --

A public meeting has been scheduled for October 29 in downtown Dallas regarding the future work on I-30 from I-35E to I-345/I-45.  It's being held at the Omni Hotel, with an open house and formal presentation.  This proposal includes 6 main lanes in each direction and discontinuous service roads.

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/public-hearings/2019/ih-30-from-ih-35e-interchange-to-ih-45ih-345-interchange-public-meeting

Plutonic Panda

^^^ RE: bush tollway, thank you for the info.

-- US 175 --

Chris

There is a public meeting scheduled for the US 81 / 287 upgrade near Fort Worth, an 8 mile stretch from I-35W to Avondale-Haslett Road. This portion of US 81/287 still has some at-grade access points and missing frontage roads.

TxDOT is holding a public meeting to discuss the proposed improvements to US 81/ US 287 from south of Avondale-Haslet Road to I-35W.

The proposed project would add one inside mainlane in each direction and convert two-way to one-way frontage roads. The existing interchanges would be reconstructed.  Willow Springs Road is proposed to cross under US 81/ US 287 mainlanes, an interchange is proposed at Heritage Trace Parkway, and Wagley Robertson Road would be connected to the proposed frontage roads.  A number of entrance and exit ramp locations would be adjusted to facilitate more efficient access to adjacent land uses.

TxDOT: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/111419.html

Bobby5280

The stretch of US-287 from the I-35W split up to Avondale-Haslett Road is very long overdue. Given the rapid growth of new residential development in the area it is not surprising at all for the freeway conversion to include adding an additional lane each way to a 3-3 configuration. Hopefully they'll design the upgrade with room to upgrade it further to a 4-4 configuration in the future.

North of Avondale-Haslett Road there are still numerous driveways connecting directly with the US-287 main lanes, due to the frontage roads not being complete on the Northbound lanes. Plus new freeway exits are needed for Ramhorn Hill Road (CR-4843), Robertson Road (CR-4840) and Schluter Road (CR-4838). That would make US-287 a proper freeway from I-35W up to the TX-114 turn off at Rhome. US-287 really needs to be full Interstate quality from I-35W up to US-380 in Decatur.

Regarding I-30 in the Downtown Dallas "canyon," I'm all for deck parks and what not to connect neighborhoods. They say they're looking at 6 lanes in each direction for I-30. Hopefully that will be enough capacity for the foreseeable future. Once you put the highway down in a trench, cap over it with parks and perhaps even real estate development it will leave no room for further upgrades. They had better build it right from the outset.

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 30, 2019, 11:55:16 AM
The stretch of US-287 from the I-35W split up to Avondale-Haslett Road is very long overdue. Given the rapid growth of new residential development in the area it is not surprising at all for the freeway conversion to include adding an additional lane each way to a 3-3 configuration. Hopefully they'll design the upgrade with room to upgrade it further to a 4-4 configuration in the future.

North of Avondale-Haslett Road there are still numerous driveways connecting directly with the US-287 main lanes, due to the frontage roads not being complete on the Northbound lanes. Plus new freeway exits are needed for Ramhorn Hill Road (CR-4843), Robertson Road (CR-4840) and Schluter Road (CR-4838). That would make US-287 a proper freeway from I-35W up to the TX-144 turn off at Rhome. US-287 really needs to be full Interstate quality from I-35W up to US-380 in Decatur.

Regarding I-30 in the Downtown Dallas "canyon," I'm all for deck parks and what not to connect neighborhoods. They say they're looking at 6 lanes in each direction for I-30. Hopefully that will be enough capacity for the foreseeable future. Once you put the highway down in a trench, cap over it with parks and perhaps even real estate development it will leave no room for further upgrades. They had better build it right from the outset.
I am ready for them to get rid of all the at grade crossings on U.S. 287 between I45 and I20. They are already working on it last several years they have installed interchanges in Ennis removing the crossings east of TX SH34 and twinning the existing over pass at SH 34 and twinning it to I45 from the existing 2-2 configuration at US287 Bus west of the interchange.

Bobby5280

South of Fort Worth between I-20 and I-45, I think the next upgrade project along US-287 (not already underway) will be just West of the TX-360 interchange. Frontage roads are supposed to be completed from TX-360 to just past Heritage Parkway. I don't remember if the extended frontage roads will do a U-turn when meeting the railroad track West of Heritage Parkdway or if new frontage road bridges will span over the railroad. TX DOT has already had various public meetings about it.

Construction is in progress on a new US-287 exit to remove the at-grade intersection with Walnut Grove Road. That's just East of Midlothian. The project looks like it's about 1.25 miles long. I think it is supposed to include continuous one-way frontage roads. Once completed there will still be a small non-freeway gap between that segment and the US-287 bypass around Midlothian. There's small scale industrial park and neighborhood with a mix of mobile homes and regular houses in there. It will be a bit of a puzzle how to build frontage roads through there, especially with a rail & river crossing on the West edge of it.

Even after those projects are done there will still be a lot of stuff to upgrade on US-287 between I-20 and I-45. As long as TX DOT keeps chipping away at it they might eventually reach the finish line.

Stephane Dumas

Did TXDOT reconfigure the service roads on I-20 just east of the interchange with TX-161/President George Bush Tpk? From what I saw on these aerial photos, they're already beginned the works. https://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=32.6740&lon=-97.00292&z=15

Road Hog

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 31, 2019, 05:24:46 PM
South of Fort Worth between I-20 and I-45, I think the next upgrade project along US-287 (not already underway) will be just West of the TX-360 interchange. Frontage roads are supposed to be completed from TX-360 to just past Heritage Parkway. I don't remember if the extended frontage roads will do a U-turn when meeting the railroad track West of Heritage Parkdway or if new frontage road bridges will span over the railroad. TX DOT has already had various public meetings about it.

Construction is in progress on a new US-287 exit to remove the at-grade intersection with Walnut Grove Road. That's just East of Midlothian. The project looks like it's about 1.25 miles long. I think it is supposed to include continuous one-way frontage roads. Once completed there will still be a small non-freeway gap between that segment and the US-287 bypass around Midlothian. There's small scale industrial park and neighborhood with a mix of mobile homes and regular houses in there. It will be a bit of a puzzle how to build frontage roads through there, especially with a rail & river crossing on the West edge of it.

Even after those projects are done there will still be a lot of stuff to upgrade on US-287 between I-20 and I-45. As long as TX DOT keeps chipping away at it they might eventually reach the finish line.
I drive that stretch of 287 frequently and there is presently a traffic light at the Walnut Grove crossing that creates a major jam. It takes two or more cycles to get through. There's a new middle school on Walnut Grove and from about 3:30 on it's a nightmare.

Bobby5280

Once the US-287 upgrade project in Ennis is finished (freeway conversion leading into I-45) and the new freeway exit for the Walnut Grove Road intersection is complete all of the stop lights along US-287 between I-20 and I-45 will be gone.

That's still going to leave literally dozens of at-grade intersections, median U-turns along US-287 as well as lots and lots of driveways still emptying out directly onto the US-287 main lanes. Considering some of the traffic predictions in future years for US-287 between Mansfield and Ennis TX DOT really needs to get on the stick about building out those continuous frontage roads. If they keep messing around too many parts of US-287 not already converted into Interstate quality will be too bottled up by development to make upgrades practical in the future.

Once traffic on US-287 between I-20 and I-45 becomes fully non-stop (no signal lights) that characteristic and increasing traffic numbers will put pressure on improving the other at-grade intersections. Vehicles on US-287 are probably going to be driving faster since they won't be anticipating stop lights ahead. TX DOT will need to at least improve night time lighting and signs for safety. In the worst cases they may even have to install some traffic signals.

All the spot upgrades to eliminate at-grade intersections and driveways through that zone will be overshadowed by the $1.25 billion project to revamp the interchanges with US-287, I-20 and I-820. The last I heard is that major project could start construction by 2022.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 05, 2019, 05:14:25 PM
All the spot upgrades to eliminate at-grade intersections and driveways through that zone will be overshadowed by the $1.25 billion project to revamp the interchanges with US-287, I-20 and I-820. The last I heard is that major project could start construction by 2022.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/commission/2019/1031/7-presentation.pdf

Last week the TxDOT Commission began the process of receiving bids for the $1.6 billion southeast connector project. Work is slated to begin in 2021 and be completed in 2026. It seems like an unusually long construction period since it is mostly routine work.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

Glad to see the proposed start date moved up a year from 2022 to 2021. But (and typical) the cost continues to balloon. Nearly $1.6 billion versus the previous $1.25 Billion estimate.

I can't say I'm surprised by the 5 year construction time line. A pretty big chuck of I-820 (from I-20 up to nearly I-30) is going to be mostly re-built. I-20 is going to get a major widening through the project. The upgrade along US-287 is more modest, but it still runs a significant length. I would imagine there will be a lot of new ramps and ramp configuration changes. There's a couple odd left exit and left entrance ramps in the existing I-20/I-820 interchange.

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 06, 2019, 12:39:54 AM
Glad to see the proposed start date moved up a year from 2022 to 2021. But (and typical) the cost continues to balloon. Nearly $1.6 billion versus the previous $1.25 Billion estimate.

I can't say I'm surprised by the 5 year construction time line. A pretty big chuck of I-820 (from I-20 up to nearly I-30) is going to be mostly re-built. I-20 is going to get a major widening through the project. The upgrade along US-287 is more modest, but it still runs a significant length. I would imagine there will be a lot of new ramps and ramp configuration changes. There's a couple odd left exit and left entrance ramps in the existing I-20/I-820 interchange.

There is going to be a lot of changes a lot of ramp reconfiguration is going to happen between the I20/US287/I820 and US287/I820 funnel. Sun Valley Dr and Martin St. are going to lose ramps. Also they are going to remove the I20 westbound exit to US287 Business that exits to the left and add a flyover to the service road. They are going to twin east and west bound I20 heading towards arlington eliminating the pair of 5 lane bridges over village creek with what looks to be a single bridge or two wider pair of bridges. They are going to take all of the treeline in the middle of the interstate just west of village creek.

Bobby5280

Are there any schematics showing how the finished I-820/I-20/US-287 project will look?

MaxConcrete

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

-- US 175 --

Now TxDOT wants to hear from the public about the future of I-345. There are 3 public meetings scheduled, December 2, 3, and 5.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/11/txdot-wants-to-hear-from-the-public-about-removing-i-345/

Bobby5280

It's a solid bet plenty of anti-freeway "New Urbanists" will attend the meetings, along with real estate developers likely salivating over the possibilities of how much money they could make selling land made vacant by totally removing the freeway. The question is how many other people in attendance will raise concerns about traffic bottlenecks that will occur on other downtown freeways with the removal of I-345? The real estate developers are the ones with the most clout. They actually have the ability to make these public meetings a non-issue as they work to make deals behind closed doors.

Downtown Dallas is quite a bit different from other cities where portions of downtown freeways have been removed or will soon be removed. Dallas has a hell of a lot more people and traffic than Syracuse or Rochester. The Alaskan Way Viaduct is being removed in Seattle, with some of its function replaced with an underground tunnel. The AWV had only partial connections with the rest of the freeway system in Seattle.

The project to remove the Pierce Elevated freeway in Houston is, I think, the only valid comparison to removing I-345 in Dallas. But the difference with the Pierce Elevated project is the massive multi-billion dollar expansion project to shift I-45 around the East side of Houston onto I-69 and I-10. The recently completed Horseshoe Project in downtown Dallas was only done to improve capacity for the I-35E/I-30 interchange. It was not designed to also handle all traffic going to & from I-45. Then there's the improvements being done to the US-175 freeway as it merges into I-45 just South of downtown.

Although it would cost a fortune, I think the only good choice is building a new, depressed I-345 below grade and capped with deck parks and/or new surface boulevards along the way. Dallas is just too big a city with too huge a metro area to simply cut out that chunk of freeway and turn the route into stoplight hell.

Plutonic Panda

I already posted it on that article but that is a ridiculous headline. This isn't a meeting about removing the freeway but what to do with it. Removing it is only one of the alternatives. Just another anti-car publication trying to distort reality and keep their head in the sand. Hopefully the right decision is made and this freeway is trenched.

In_Correct

Another Anti-Car Publication? Aren't there any Pro-Car Publications? Pro-Car Publications can gather an audience to attend the meetings. Also need to point out in those meetings the real estate developers drive cars. Real Estate Developers, New Urbanists would not ride the Public Transit they claim to want; They scoff at Public Transit.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Verlanka

Quote from: In_Correct on November 25, 2019, 12:14:57 AM
Aren't there any Pro-Car Publications?
There's the Road and Track magazine, but that's all I'm aware of.

Chris

According to the NTTA, the President George Bush Turnpike widening between the Dallas North Tollway and I-35E was completed on December 24.

DNT to I-35E: Construction began in July 2017; the fourth lanes, in each direction, were completed on December 24, 2019

https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/projprog/Pages/PGBT-Widening.aspx

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Chris on December 29, 2019, 08:24:56 AM
According to the NTTA, the President George Bush Turnpike widening between the Dallas North Tollway and I-35E was completed on December 24.

DNT to I-35E: Construction began in July 2017; the fourth lanes, in each direction, were completed on December 24, 2019

https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/projprog/Pages/PGBT-Widening.aspx

I wonder how long 4 lanes each direction will last there.

dfwmapper

TxDOT is hosting an open house next Tuesday for a project to widen US 75 in Sherman from FM 1417 on the south side to where the current 6 lane section ends near Texoma Parkway/SH 91 south of the US 82 interchange, as well as reconfiguring the US 75/US 82 interchange, which presumably means fixing some of the obsolete ramp designs on US 82 and adding U turns for US 82 in both directions. This should fix one of the most poorly designed sections of freeway left in North Texas, with a dozen structurally obsolete bridges and an exit/entrance pair that has serious problems with backed up exiting traffic and slow merging traffic on the main lanes and a horrible weaving problem on the frontage road.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/paris/011420.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.