News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AHTD: US 79B in Stuttgart

Started by US71, August 18, 2014, 12:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

This weekend I was in Stuttgart and noticed US 79B enters from US 79/63 on the West side of town as 22nd St, then seems to become AR130 with no notification.

After spending about an hour driving around town, I have come up with two theories:

(1) 79B is actually a spur off US 79/US 63 and ends at AR 130 (which appears to begin at Main St and heads east)

(2) 79B originally turned north on Main St, ending back at US 79 (Michigan St), but the section north of 22nd was give back to the city. I base this on the US 79/US 165 signs on Main St where it intersects US 79.  I noticed there are NO 79B signs approaching Main St along Michigan/US 79, so I don't think it's a signing error.

Has any consideration been given to eliminating 79B at Stuttgart and extending AR 130 all the way to 79/63 west of town?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Well, I MAY have answered my own question. Hopefully AHTD can fill in the gaps.  You may need a score card for this:

79B currently ends at Main St and becomes AR 130, BUT they ran concurrent down Main St at one point in time.  130 then continued north along what's now US 63 to the 63/165 junction, the followed what's now US 165 to North Little Rock.  When 130 was cut back, it appears 79B was also cut back to what's basically a spur route.

South of Stuttgart, 165 is old AR 11,  which US 63 replaced north of town.

bugo

That stretch of highway is US 79 section 11C.

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 23, 2014, 08:12:50 PM
That stretch of highway is US 79 section 11C.
Yes, it is. I even have a photo ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.