News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 10:54:00 PM
Beautiful engineering for this amazing freeway. But damn that single express lane. We've already talked about this in another thread but seriously why not just have variable tolling on each lane? A single express toll lane on a toll road? Jesus christ.
Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 10:52:13 PM
How common are roundabouts in the state of Washington?
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 10:50:13 PM
Wade Ave. is Secondary Route 1728. That's probably the only designation the freeway/boulevard needs. Maybe the interchanges could get numbers, since it is North Carolina's custom to number freeway exits, even on non-Interstates.
General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:45:02 PM
I still hate the blue.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by DenverBrian - Today at 10:40:12 PM
Quote from: Big John on Today at 09:16:09 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on Today at 09:09:36 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on Today at 07:46:23 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on Today at 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2024, 08:51:24 AMThey weren't in a particular order. I started doing the order and then quick referenced a list of current starting QBs. I didn't think he's top 5 alas. Top 10, sure.

My Top Five:
Patrick Mahomes
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Brock Purdy
Justin Herbert

I'm also going to make a bold scheduling prediction (to be officially announced sometime before the end of this month):  My Texans are going to be playing in Jerry's World on Thanksgiving Day!
They may very well be playing in Patrick's world on opening day.

The Texans and Chiefs do indeed cross paths this fall, by virtue of both being the reigning division champions (of their respective divisions), but I don't think we know which team has home court yet until the official schedule is released.

https://www.nfl.com/news/demeco-ryans-responds-to-j-j-watt-s-willingness-to-return-to-houston-i-ve-got-his-number-ready-to-go

And though unlikely, I wouldn't completely rule out JJ Watt returning to the Texans roster.  I don't know about adding Stefon Diggs, I really wanted Derrick Henry to come to Houston instead; now Derrick has made Baltimore all but officially crowned Super Bowl LIX Champions next February.  I would also welcome back DeAndre Hopkins.  The Texans are in desperate need of effective players that can be a match with teams like Baltimore.
14 opponents are predetermined, the other 3 are determined at the end of the season and the sites (except for those moved to neutral sites) are determined at that time.  The HOU/KC game will be at KC https://www.houstontexans.com/news/2024-regular-season-opponents-now-locked-in-for-texans
Do not be surprised if that's the Thursday night season kickoff.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:29:35 PM
I was watching the series finale of Bob Hearts Abishola last night, and thinking up a crazy scenario reminiscent of the way Newhart ended:

Bob has a second heart attack (probably after reading his mother's unfinished manuscript for a memoir she's writing), then wakes up as Mike and tells Molly about the strange dream he had about being married to a Nigerian nurse and owning a sock company in Detroit. Molly asks Mike "Where the hell was I?", and then (after hearing his jarring explanation) tells him that she's cutting him off and that they're going to clean the kitchen of all the junk food tomorrow. Then, as the end credits roll for the last time, I See Love (the Mike & Molly theme) plays. So, in a nutshell, the show would've been all a dream from Mike all along.

But maybe it was all for the best that it never happened, in particular since Melissa McCarthy was fired from the show (Mike & Molly) for losing weight (or so I heard). The actual ending to Bob Hearts Abishola was much better anyway.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:14:31 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on Today at 01:41:41 PMAny news on the new TV package? I'd heard that there is a possibility that NBC might edge out Turner/TBS as the second broadcast network (with more games going to Peacock, of course). That would put the Inside the NBa crew of Ernie/Kenny/Barkley and Shaq at real risk, which would be bad.
If that happens, NBC may want to force Fox to give up its college hoops theme, since they had it first. And assuming ABC/ESPN will be the top channel, I'm anticipating a throwback to their shared MLB coverage that ran from 1977-89, and was briefly revived in 1994-95 (as The--ill-fated--Baseball Network). Even if Turner doesn't make it back (and I think it's highly unlikely, considering their award-winning coverage and studio show), I can see Kenny, Barkley and Shaq get new jobs at the network(s) that would replace it. At least Ernie will still have MLB, the NHL and NCAA Tournament (during the annual crossover to CBS) to keep him busy.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:07:03 PM
May I direct your attention to the new Key Bridge?

And here's the full story below, via the accompanying article:

QuoteWeBuild, with its US subsidiary Lane, has unveiled a proposal for the Francis Scott Key Bridge reconstruction design and planning in Baltimore.

The initiative follows the collapse of the bridge last March, which resulted in loss of lives and disrupted a crucial maritime connection.

WeBuild's proposal, a cable-stayed bridge design, has been developed in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor and architect Carlo Ratti and French structural engineer Michel Virlogeux.

This new structure is expected to ensure maximum safety for both vehicular traffic and navigation for larger ships, focusing on enhanced safety, adaptability, and sustainability.

The design anticipates a navigable clearance of 213ft, more than the previous bridge, and an expanded bridge span of approximately 2,300ft.

The main pylons are planned to be positioned in shallower waters, away from the navigation channel.

In response to increased traffic, the proposal includes a wider carriageway, adding one lane in each direction and expanding emergency lanes.

The new bridge will also incorporate smart features for improved traffic management and the application of predictive maintenance techniques.

Carlo Ratti said: "Opting for a cable-stayed solution enables the piles to be positioned at a safe distance, well away from the navigation channel used by large vessels and hence preventing the risk of a tragedy such as the one of March 26 happening again.

"This approach also provides a light-weight solution to reconnect two sides of Baltimore, both socially and economically - what American infrastructure should be striving to do in the 21st century."

The project will further include the use of materials that aim to preserve the Patapsco River's ecosystem.

Webuild CEO Pietro Salini said: "We will take part, on 7 May, in the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA)'s Virtual Industry Forum for the reconstruction of the bridge, and we are ready to help in any way we can at this stage in the spirit of pro bono service.

"The design concept of the bridge that we have been working on incessantly during this last month will represent a key contribution towards the design and reconstruction or new construction of the bridge."

Last month, Lane was awarded a $110m contract to construct the Newport News Segment of the Interstate (I)-64 Hampton Roads Express Lanes in Hampton, Virginia.
General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 09:59:47 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on Today at 07:57:28 PMThe new theme is disgusting. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 09:50:35 PM
More photos from WBound TOLL FL 690 to US 19 from I-275.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.