News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

storm2k

I drove on the Schuylkill for the first time since they activated the VSLS system today (out in the Conshohocken and KOP area but thankfully I avoided the curve). Has there been any research on if the variable speed limits have helped reduce crashes in the area? I did get to see the limits change on a couple of them as we were in some stop and go heading for the blue route exit.

sprjus4

Not 100% sure, but I recall driving it back in June last year, the speed limit was set down to 35 mph though traffic was moving 55-60+ mph. Not sure how that's "helping"  things, if someone is going 35 mph in that flow, you are far more a hazard.

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 28, 2022, 12:04:45 AM
Not 100% sure, but I recall driving it back in June last year, the speed limit was set down to 35 mph though traffic was moving 55-60+ mph. Not sure how that's "helping"  things, if someone is going 35 mph in that flow, you are far more a hazard.

Honestly not entirely sure what the use of it is if that's the case... in Philly, speed limits seem to be routinely blown past by 15-20 mph (especially on I-95). If they are not going to keep up with hazards, is it just a cash-grab? Is it being enforced?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For US 522)  PennDOT - District 9 News: Project to Realign Route 522 (Great Cove Road) and Rehabilitate Cove Run Bridge to Begin in Fulton County

EDIT:  I am unsure what is actually going on here.  Maybe something at or near the US 522/PA 16 intersection, but I was unable to tell.

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 09, 2022, 07:42:46 AM
(For PA 147)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 147 Closed in Northumberland County

I can see the rush hour backup on PA 890 getting up to 61.  Almost a mile long red line per Google Maps.  Backed up in all directions at the PA 890/Brush Valley Rd./7 Points Rd. intersection too.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 07, 2022, 03:36:50 PM
(For US 522)  PennDOT - District 9 News: Project to Realign Route 522 (Great Cove Road) and Rehabilitate Cove Run Bridge to Begin in Fulton County

EDIT:  I am unsure what is actually going on here.  Maybe something at or near the US 522/PA 16 intersection, but I was unable to tell.

I had the same confusion...especially since "the realignment and paving of Route 522 (Great Cove Road) from Route 1004 (Lincoln Way West) to Route 16 at the Franklin County line" doesn't make sense. 

74/171FAN

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 09, 2022, 09:42:31 AM

I had the same confusion...especially since "the realignment and paving of Route 522 (Great Cove Road) from Route 1004 (Lincoln Way West) to Route 16 at the Franklin County line" doesn't make sense. 

Looking at ECMS, I was unable to find much in the way of a realignment for PA 16 either.

famartin

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 09, 2022, 10:20:17 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 09, 2022, 09:42:31 AM

Looking at ECMS, I was unable to find much in the way of a realignment for PA 16 either.

Wonder if they got 522 and 16 mixed up, and they are actually doing the work on 16.

74/171FAN

(For PA 756)  PennDOT - District 9 News: Work Restarts on Geistown Corridor Improvement Project in Cambria County

(For PA 208) PennDOT - District 1 News: Restrictions Posted on Route 208 in Mercer County 

(Side Note:  If anyone notices that there is a truck route related to one of these in District 1, please let me know here or in the Travel Mapping forum.)

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

sbeaver44

Got ahold of a York County history by the York Daily Record.  This would be PA 177 (or its predecessor) between PA 74 and PA 382.

I don't feel like I've ever seen much about "Pinchot Roads"  but I'm really curious the history of other roads formed under this program.

Interestingly enough in 1958, Gifford Pinchot State Park was created, between Lewisberry and Rossville, and the one entrance is right off PA 177.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 12, 2022, 05:38:49 PM
Got ahold of a York County history by the York Daily Record.  This would be PA 177 (or its predecessor) between PA 74 and PA 382.

I don't feel like I've ever seen much about "Pinchot Roads"  but I'm really curious the history of other roads formed under this program.

Interestingly enough in 1958, Gifford Pinchot State Park was created, between Lewisberry and Rossville, and the one entrance is right off PA 177.

Give me a few months - but challenge accepted.  I'll definitely do some research on these. Thanks for bringing it up.

–-Adam

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.