News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: theline on September 12, 2013, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: vtk on September 11, 2013, 11:23:44 PM
I thought Illinois and Indiana used I-Pass.  Not that there's a practical difference anymore...

Indiana uses EZPass, though they initially branded it as iZoom. They have since had the good sense of giving it the more recognizable brand name.

Except on the toll bridge for IN 62/IL 141 across the Wabash:
http://www.in.gov/indot/2708.htm

Indyroads

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 19, 2013, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2013, 04:05:45 PM
what do you guys think of this person's opinion on the project? http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/09/19/louisville-bridges-project-proceeds-from-tragedy-to-farce/
A lot of people think that the new downtown bridge isn't needed.  In the end, getting both was the only way to get the East End bridge, which is badly needed. 

In he proposed tearing down I-86 along the waterfront. Usuallyi am vehemently opposed to the removal of a freeway from a downtown region but since the freeway is only 2 lanes wide and served by an insufficiently wide tunnel and I-71 to the east is it better replaced by the proposed  waterfront parkway? It seems to me there are somewhat nefarious motive behind many of the freeway removal projects that end up creating massive congestion because a needed road was demolished in the spirit of environmentalism run amok, however in this case, the people could have a point. and I can see the value to having a desirable waterfront district. Maybe even allowing more development up to and closer to the river rather than just the park.

However it would be fair to ask... can the riverfront plans coexist with the freeway?

Does rerouting I-84 along an out of the way routing I-265 or I-264 make more sense?

Is it possible or futile to widen I-64 through downtown and to the east tunnel and beyond?

What other options do we have for I-64 that allow for expansion and better flow for through traffic.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

silverback1065

Quote from: Indyroads on September 19, 2013, 06:12:06 PM
what do you guys think of this person's opinion on the project? http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/09/19/louisville-bridges-project-proceeds-from-tragedy-to-farce/
A lot of people think that the new downtown bridge isn't needed.  In the end, getting both was the only way to get the East End bridge, which is badly needed. 

In he proposed tearing down I-86 along the waterfront. Usuallyi am vehemently opposed to the removal of a freeway from a downtown region but since the freeway is only 2 lanes wide and served by an insufficiently wide tunnel and I-71 to the east is it better replaced by the proposed  waterfront parkway? It seems to me there are somewhat nefarious motive behind many of the freeway removal projects that end up creating massive congestion because a needed road was demolished in the spirit of environmentalism run amok, however in this case, the people could have a point. and I can see the value to having a desirable waterfront district. Maybe even allowing more development up to and closer to the river rather than just the park.

However it would be fair to ask... can the riverfront plans coexist with the freeway?

Does rerouting I-84 along an out of the way routing I-265 or I-264 make more sense?

Is it possible or futile to widen I-64 through downtown and to the east tunnel and beyond?

What other options do we have for I-64 that allow for expansion and better flow for through traffic.

The same guy also advocates getting rid of I65/70 inside 465 in Indy.  And replacing it with a crappy parkway.

thefro

I think something important to keep in mind is I'm not sure you can fix Spaghetti Junction without the new bridge.  There's a ton of wrecks (causing backups all the way to a few miles into Indiana) due to the extremely poor design of that I-65/I-64/I-71 interchange.  Having enough lanes southbound so that traffic can funnel themselves into the right spots easily is part of that.  There is very poor visibility for signage, not to mention you can't really change lanes since the bridge is definitely operating at capacity at rush hour.

And getting rid of I-65/I-70 through Indianapolis would be pretty goofy (it's shut down now for them to raise some overpasses and is definitely causing traffic problems all over Indy).

Indyroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2013, 12:08:35 AM

The same guy also advocates getting rid of I65/70 inside 465 in Indy.  And replacing it with a crappy parkway.

Yeah, No, that would be a total train wreck doing that. Sounds like this Urbanophile guy is one of those environmental-leftist-back to horse and buggy types.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

silverback1065

Quote from: Indyroads on September 20, 2013, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2013, 12:08:35 AM

Yeah, No, that would be a total train wreck doing that. Sounds like this Urbanophile guy is one of those environmental-leftist-back to horse and buggy types.
Yep, people like that would love to remove all interstates. 

NWI_Irish96

Tonight at 9pm, The 6th Street entrance ramp to I-65 North in Jeffersonville closes permanently.  10th Street will now be the southernmost point of entry for I-65 North in Indiana.  Broadway St. is also closing permanently between 6th St. and Court Ave.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

froggie

The old timers may remember that "Urbanophile guy" as a former MTR regular...

As I recall, the 8664 folks are not advocating (per se) for removal of I-64 east of downtown...they're calling for removal of I-64 where it borders the riverfront.  IMO (and answering an earlier question of Indyroads), a vibrant riverfront and I-64 cannot co-exist.  It's either one or the other.

seicer

And with a true bypass of Louisville, that can actually happen. Also of consideration is that Interstate 64 cannot be widened east of downtown due to Cherokee Park and the tunnels.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 03, 2013, 08:26:08 AM

As I recall, the 8664 folks are not advocating (per se) for removal of I-64 east of downtown...they're calling for removal of I-64 where it borders the riverfront.  IMO (and answering an earlier question of Indyroads), a vibrant riverfront and I-64 cannot co-exist.  It's either one or the other.

Not necessarily in Louisville.

http://goo.gl/maps/fD7t9

There's a nicely-used riverfront to the right of the Yum Center in the aerial view, plus the pedestrian approach to the Big Four Bridge (scroll to the right).

The Belle of Louisville and Joe's Crab Shack are pretty much in the center of the photo.

Scroll to the left, past the Galt House hotel and the area where the interstate passed by a structure that is shown at http://goo.gl/maps/b2BW2, and you're in a part of town that no one should really want to venture for recreational purposes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2013, 10:58:29 AM
Scroll to the left, past the Galt House hotel and the area where the interstate passed by a structure that is shown at http://goo.gl/maps/b2BW2, and you're in a part of town that no one white should really want to venture for recreational purposes.
Fixed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on October 03, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2013, 10:58:29 AM
Scroll to the left, past the Galt House hotel and the area where the interstate passed by a structure that is shown at http://goo.gl/maps/b2BW2, and you're in a part of town that no one white should really want to venture for recreational purposes.
Fixed.

Not really. You run into a lot of power lines and an electrical substation next to the river, then before long there's the railroad tracks. And by that time you are well away from the hotels, the convention centers, the arenas and the office buildings where people who would typically use the riverfront are congretated, and into a more industrial section of town, even as you drive down Main Street. There's really not much that's worth anything there west of about 8th or 9th Street.

silverback1065

Quote from: froggie on October 03, 2013, 08:26:08 AM

You can always bury it like they're doing 265, problem solved. 

seicer

Next to a river? The Interstate 265 tunnel is on a bluff. Interstate 64 is literally hugging the waterline.

Brandon

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on October 03, 2013, 03:02:37 PM
Next to a river? The Interstate 265 tunnel is on a bluff. Interstate 64 is literally hugging the waterline.

Sure, why not?  We place tunnels under watercourses all the time.  Why not a full freeway next to the watercourse?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

silverback1065

It's not impossible

rte66man

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2013, 03:23:27 PM
It's not impossible

Big Dig Jr. or Son of Big Dig
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Henry

Quote from: rte66man on October 04, 2013, 09:50:51 AM
It's not impossible

:rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

hbelkins

Quote from: rte66man on October 04, 2013, 09:50:51 AM
It's not impossible

That would be Little Dig, right?

froggie

Similar to what I recently did for the I-20/59 Birmingham proposal, I've started sketching out an I-64 waterfront removal (or downgrade) concept.  Will post a map once completed (possibly in a couple weeks once I'm back stateside).

JMoses24

You'd have to protect I-64 from flooding. Floodgates would be necessary, and in the event they're installed, there goes downtown access.

ShawnP

Not going to happen with a underground tunnel ideal as the water table is just as close to surface as portions of Louisiana. Large sections of Louisville are constantly flooded with every heavy rain.

NWI_Irish96

I-65 Northbound is getting a new temporary exit ramp at Exit 0.  Traffic is expected to be diverted to the new ramp beginning Tuesday 12/3.

UPDATE: Here is a story about the new ramp: http://www.wdrb.com/story/24114772/exit-0-ramp-into-jeffersonville-to-shift-starting-tuesday-afternoon

It looks like a very sharp right onto the new ramp. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tidecat

I thought Exit 0 was going away.  Was I wrong?
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.