News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nashville/Middle Tennessee

Started by wriddle082, August 16, 2014, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 10, 2018, 08:07:34 PMNot sure how they will accomplish adding the extra lanes to the top level bridges of the stack interchange with I-65, but I assume they will be addressing that in their plans.

I was looking at that: the main spans of the existing structure are very long, spanning the entire I-65 and US 31 mainlines. Here's the satellite view.So, assuming the new spans are the same as the old, at least the piers will be away from the roadways as opposed to being in a narrow median. Actually, I'd be surprised if TDOT didn't design it with expansion in mind out of disdain for those who kept it from being six lanes in the first place.

HPfromTN

They need to inspect I-40 as it passes over Davidson Road between exits 201 and 199.  Underneath this bridge, two large chunks of concrete have dislodged at the top of the underpass, one of which fell all the way down to the sidewalk on Davidson.  Nothing appears to have been done since it was brought to their attention when the second, bigger, chunk fell, exposing some of the rebar.

hbelkins

^^^

Those issues always look worse than they really are, even with the exposed rebar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wriddle082

Quote from: HPfromTN on July 13, 2018, 01:13:23 PM
They need to inspect I-40 as it passes over Davidson Road between exits 201 and 199.  Underneath this bridge, two large chunks of concrete have dislodged at the top of the underpass, one of which fell all the way down to the sidewalk on Davidson.  Nothing appears to have been done since it was brought to their attention when the second, bigger, chunk fell, exposing some of the rebar.

This really doesn't surprise me.  Even though it's been several years since driving over that particular overpass was part of my daily commute, I do remember this bridge being particularly bumpy when driving across it.  And I would frequently drive underneath it from time to time to either visit a couple of friends or go to a work location in West Meade.

Keep in mind, the original bridge was built probably around "˜62 or "˜63, and was widened to six lanes around "˜90 or "˜91.  Probably due for some good maintenance right about now.

SSOWorld

Having gone through that route today - I couldn't agree more - but consider the issues with the mess at the eastern end as well (I-24/I-40).  That is a very poorly designed interchange that at both 8:30 and 10:30 caused back-ups from 40 and 24 to 440.  One has to plan ahead because they don't know where the second turn is.  I've seen many do the last-minute lane change thing on the second ramp.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Great Lakes Roads

Well, I found the video talking about the I-440 project in Nashville, and guess what?? They are going to keep all lanes open to traffic with nighttime restrictions...  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Probably because they don't want to add more traffic on I-40 or through downtown Nashville...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyfJg-pgpg

wriddle082

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 25, 2018, 06:09:12 AM
Well, I found the video talking about the I-440 project in Nashville, and guess what?? They are going to keep all lanes open to traffic with nighttime restrictions...  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Probably because they don't want to add more traffic on I-40 or through downtown Nashville...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyfJg-pgpg

It will still be a mess, due to the existing aux lanes disappearing, and I would imagine the speed limit would be reduced to 50 or 45.

Thank goodness I can use 840 to visit all of my peeps!

ibthebigd

Nashville to me is getting worse than Atlanta

SM-G950U

I-39

Dusting this off, here is the preliminary plans for widening US 31 between Duplex Road in Spring Hill and I-840 in Thompsons Station.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AEBjKRVKD%5Fplw8s&cid=FE8AE11B532E1573&id=FE8AE11B532E1573%216542&parId=root&o=OneUp

The actual 5 lane portion will only go from Miles Johnson Parkway to I-840. Unfortunately, they will be slightly narrower than normal due to ROW constraints (11 ft vs the normal 12 ft lanes), but this is much needed.

codyg1985

Anything that can help the routes around Spring Hill, the better.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tomahawkin

People are going to rip me for saying this. Express Toll lanes should be added to interstates in Nashville IMO. The city's growth rate rivals 2000 Atlanta and Atlanta was 20 years too late in doing this. Now Atlanta is finally able to do interchange improvements that were needed 30 years ago as a result of having Express lanes that started 10 years ago. The 400 toll in Georgia the 90s was Garbage IMO.  Nashville needs to be proactive on this because construction costs are higher because of the terrain. Not to mention many surface streets need to be improved

I-39

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 09, 2021, 10:23:23 PM
People are going to rip me for saying this. Express Toll lanes should be added to interstates in Nashville IMO. The city's growth rate rivals 2000 Atlanta and Atlanta was 20 years too late in doing this. Now Atlanta is finally able to do interchange improvements that were needed 30 years ago as a result of having Express lanes that started 10 years ago. The 400 toll in Georgia the 90s was Garbage IMO.  Nashville needs to be proactive on this because construction costs are higher because of the terrain. Not to mention many surface streets need to be improved

What Nashville needs is bus on shoulder service from downtown along the I-40/24/65 corridors to Lebanon, Murfreesboro and Spring Hill respectively.

The Nashville metro area is still a long way from matching Atlanta though.

codyg1985

Quote from: I-39 on February 09, 2021, 10:36:54 PM

What Nashville needs is bus on shoulder service from downtown along the I-40/24/65 corridors to Lebanon, Murfreesboro and Spring Hill respectively.

Bus priority signals were installed at some intersections along US 41/70S between Nashville and Murfreesboro, but I don't think express bus service was ever implemented along that corridor.

A smart corridor project is underway along I-24 between those two cities. I am not sure if it will allow for busses to run along the shoulder or not.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

I-55

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 10, 2021, 08:39:14 AM

Bus priority signals were installed at some intersections along US 41/70S between Nashville and Murfreesboro, but I don't think express bus service was ever implemented along that corridor.

A smart corridor project is underway along I-24 between those two cities. I am not sure if it will allow for busses to run along the shoulder or not.

What Nashville needs is a reconfiguration of the 2di interstate junctions to minimize weaving. That would be a start.

From the I-65 Improvements in TN thread:

Quote from: I-55 on August 09, 2020, 10:45:48 AM
What I-65 (and the rest of Nashville) needs are a complete redesign of the freeway junctions in downtown. On the I-65/I-40 concurrency, both directions (NB and SB) merge onto I-40 from the left hand side and exit from the right hand side, giving less than two miles to weave (and no one takes 65 south to 40 east, that's what 24 and Briley are for). The I-65/I-24 concurrency is the same way, I-65 enters the concurrency on the left hand side and has only about two miles to weave across I-24. The northbound merge backs up almost daily and I often find myself taking Ellington Parkway. Between the two concurrencies, I-65 enters its own route northbound from the right and exits into the I-24 concurrency on the left, southbound it enters and exits on the right (and I've never had a problem in that direction, imagine that). Similar situations exist for 40 and 24. If the interchanges can be rebuilt to reduce the weaving I think traffic in Nashville will greatly improve, it'll still exist and be heavy, but will improve nevertheless. Width on Nashville's interstates is not a problem at all, it is 100% in the design, dating back to the original designs that did not expect the growth of the area to be what it is now, a problem realized only in retrospect.
TL;DR: Rebuild interchanges to reduce weaving on concurrencies
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

wriddle082

I-39, did you bother to check to see if an older Nashville thread already existed?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13237.0

Sorry to nitpick, but I started that thread years ago, and I guess it went by the wayside since it hasn't been touched in nearly two years.

If an admin is watching, could that thread be merged with this one somehow, please?

If transit really is the answer, then first off they need to better utilize the Music City Star light rail going to Lebanon.

As for the Murfreesboro corridor, let's see how the currently ongoing I-24 Smart Corridor upgrades go first, and do something similar for the Spring Hill/Columbia corridor.  Then if that doesn't work, try the bus lanes, or light rail.  I'm just not sure how they are going to fit HOT lanes into the existing ROWs on any of the Nashville-area freeways.

As an aside, I used to work with a lot of people who would commute into Nashville from as far away as Columbia, Mt. Pleasant, and even Hohenwald!  It's a wonder something more significant hasn't happened in that direction by now.

And it was bad enough for me commuting in from the west side (south Cheatham County) along I-40.  Any wreck on 40 west creates armageddon and immediately turns US 70 and TN 100 into parking lots.  But commuters from that side of town are constantly given the shaft.  I-40 was widened to Bellevue in 1991.  Yes, 30 years ago!  And the bridges between Bellevue and McCrory were widened in 1996, but the extra width has yet to be utilized by new lanes.  Meanwhile, Dickson County continues to grow, as it is a very affordable and pleasant place to live (though my parents are actually in the process of downsizing and moving back into Nashville proper, but that's their thing, and they sold their property to Californians).

-Billy
proud, albeit displaced for 10 years, Nashville native

I-39

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 10, 2021, 03:00:28 PM
I-39, did you bother to check to see if an older Nashville thread already existed?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13237.0

Sorry to nitpick, but I started that thread years ago, and I guess it went by the wayside since it hasn't been touched in nearly two years.

If an admin is watching, could that thread be merged with this one somehow, please?

If transit really is the answer, then first off they need to better utilize the Music City Star light rail going to Lebanon.

As for the Murfreesboro corridor, let's see how the currently ongoing I-24 Smart Corridor upgrades go first, and do something similar for the Spring Hill/Columbia corridor.  Then if that doesn't work, try the bus lanes, or light rail.  I'm just not sure how they are going to fit HOT lanes into the existing ROWs on any of the Nashville-area freeways.

As an aside, I used to work with a lot of people who would commute into Nashville from as far away as Columbia, Mt. Pleasant, and even Hohenwald!  It's a wonder something more significant hasn't happened in that direction by now.

And it was bad enough for me commuting in from the west side (south Cheatham County) along I-40.  Any wreck on 40 west creates armageddon and immediately turns US 70 and TN 100 into parking lots.  But commuters from that side of town are constantly given the shaft.  I-40 was widened to Bellevue in 1991.  Yes, 30 years ago!  And the bridges between Bellevue and McCrory were widened in 1996, but the extra width has yet to be utilized by new lanes.  Meanwhile, Dickson County continues to grow, as it is a very affordable and pleasant place to live (though my parents are actually in the process of downsizing and moving back into Nashville proper, but that's their thing, and they sold their property to Californians).

-Billy
proud, albeit displaced for 10 years, Nashville native

Apologies, I didn't look that far back. Yes, please merge this mods if you are watching.

Anyway, I stated Spring Hill because a fair amount of Columbia comes up via US 31 to SR 396. I would think any transit corridor along I-65 would end at Saturn Parkway. They do need to get going on extending the eight lane section from I-840 to Saturn.

Avalanchez71

They don't need any more lanes south of I-840.  The number of lanes is sufficient.  It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that know the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.  I saw someone get killed once because they ran the right lane all the way to the merge point then they attempted to slingshot over to the left lane in front of everyone.  Needless to say they clipped other vehicles and they were lifeless.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 07:54:56 AM
They don't need any more lanes south of I-840.  The number of lanes is sufficient.  It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that now the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.  I saw someone get killed once because they ran the right lane all the way to the merge point then they attempted to slingshot over to the left lane in front of everyone.  Needless to say the clipped other vehicles and they were lifeless.

Completely disagree. It is very tight on the stretch between I-840 and SR 396 (I drive this all the time) and SB I-65 at I-840 routinely sees backups on (especially on Friday's) due to the the merge. Also, the Buckner Road interchange and the forthcoming June Lake development (not to mention the continued growth of south Spring Hill which will put more commuters on SR 396 to I-65) is only going to intensify an already busy corridor.

Once the Buckner Road interchange goes in, TDOT is going to need to get a move on extending the eight lane section of I-65 from I-840 to SR 396. However, south of there to Bear Creek Pike isn't quite needed at this time.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2021, 08:46:22 AM
They don't need any more lanes south of I-840.  The number of lanes is sufficient.  It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that now the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.  I saw someone get killed once because they ran the right lane all the way to the merge point then they attempted to slingshot over to the left lane in front of everyone.  Needless to say the clipped other vehicles and they were lifeless.

Completely disagree. It is very tight on the stretch between I-840 and SR 396 (I drive this all the time) and SB I-65 at I-840 routinely sees backups on (especially on Friday's) due to the the merge. Also, the Buckner Road interchange and the forthcoming June Lake development (not to mention the continued growth of south Spring Hill which will put more commuters on SR 396 to I-65) is only going to intensify an already busy corridor.

Once the Buckner Road interchange goes in, TDOT is going to need to get a move on extending the eight lane section of I-65 from I-840 to SR 396. However, south of there to Bear Creek Pike isn't quite needed at this time.

I am not even sure why Spring Hill pushed so much for that interchange.  It is only going to screw up the traffic even more.  If you want to access the northside of Spring Hill exit off to I-840 to US 431 then you can access via Critz Lane to Pantall Road.  Such ease of movement and a nice drive as well. I see no need at all to extend 8 lanes past SR 396.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 09:50:08 AM

I am not even sure why Spring Hill pushed so much for that interchange.  It is only going to screw up the traffic even more.  If you want to access the northside of Spring Hill exit off to I-840 to US 431 then you can access via Critz Lane to Pantall Road.  Such ease of movement and a nice drive as well. I see no need at all to extend 8 lanes past SR 396.

What? How often do you drive this area?

As a Spring Hill resident, another I-65 exit is badly needed (especially with the June Lake development going in). Right now, the only direct access to I-65 in Spring Hill is from SR 396, which doesn't work well for half of the town. The way you describe is not feasible due to it being narrow (and dangerous) two lane roads. I've gone those back ways and it doesn't work well. Actually, the Buckner Road interchange will relieve some traffic off of US 31, but it will add more cars to that I-65 segment, hence, the need to extend the eight lanes.

And just for clarification, no, I-65 doesn't need eight lanes south of SR 396, but it might need six lanes to Bear Creek Pike at some point, but that is a ways off. That was the point I was trying to make.

froggie

It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that now the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.

In times of heavy traffic, this is EXACTLY what you're supposed to do...use the lane fully until it ends.

Drivers like you are the reason why zipper merges don't work the way they're supposed to.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2021, 10:25:52 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 09:50:08 AM

What? How often do you drive this area?

As a Spring Hill resident, another I-65 exit is badly needed (especially with the June Lake development going in). Right now, the only direct access to I-65 in Spring Hill is from SR 396, which doesn't work well for half of the town. The way you describe is not feasible due to it being narrow (and dangerous) two lane roads. I've gone those back ways and it doesn't work well. Actually, the Buckner Road interchange will relieve some traffic off of US 31, but it will add more cars to that I-65 segment, hence, the need to extend the eight lanes.

And just for clarification, no, I-65 doesn't need eight lanes south of SR 396, but it might need six lanes to Bear Creek Pike at some point, but that is a ways off. That was the point I was trying to make.

Enough to see the Fuqua and Hagaman for mayor signs popping up all over town.  I have been in the area for a long time.  The folks moving into town knew full well that when they moved in that US 31 is two lanes, SR 396 serves as the only direct I-65 exit and the majority of the roads other then the residential streets and states roads are narrow.  Heck even SR 247 is narrow west of US 31 (SR 6).

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 01:30:05 PMEnough to see the Fuqua and Hagaman for mayor signs popping up all over town.  I have been in the area for a long time.  The folks moving into town knew full well that when they moved in that US 31 is two lanes, SR 396 serves as the only direct I-65 exit and the majority of the roads other then the residential streets and states roads are narrow.  Heck even SR 247 is narrow west of US 31 (SR 6).

So in other words, just leave everything as it is? That's completely ridiculous.

Look, development is going to continue whether you like it or not. Spring Hill and TDOT need to upgrade the roads to handle it. You can't stay the same forever.

Avalanchez71

All you are going to do is move the merge.  The merge point was heretofore at Goose Creek By-Pass/Peytonsville Road and the same thing existed.  Once you were past the bottleneck it was wide open with volume.  You are just moving the merge point.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 04:24:41 PM

All you are going to do is move the merge.  The merge point was heretofore at Goose Creek By-Pass/Peytonsville Road and the same thing existed.  Once you were past the bottleneck it was wide open with volume.  You are just moving the merge point.

Not really, as a lot of traffic gets off at SR 396. It wouldn't be as nearly as bad as I-840.

By your logic, I-65 shouldn't have been widened south of SR 96.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.