News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 13, 2022, 03:19:30 AM
Today's MnDOT entry:

SKOL!
DESIGNATED DRIVERS

I'm sure that was extra sore for the local Packers contingent today.

At first glance, I thought it was an ad for Skoal tobacco.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Vermont has some fun ones on VT 108 approaching Smugglers Notch:

TT UNITS
WILL GET STUCK

YOUR GPS
IS WRONG!

(Here's some additional context for those who might not know.)

TheHighwayMan3561

Wisconsin today:

OPE, GEEZ
   GET HOME SAFELY
      DRIVE SOBER
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ErmineNotyours

At 9:19 in the following video:

HOCUS POCUS
DRIVE WITH FOCUS

Mr. Matté

Sounds like the Feds might be pumping some brakes on the funny safety related VMS messages, at least in NJ:

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/nj-department-of-transportation-road-signs-20221116.html

QuoteAs of Wednesday afternoon, messages such as "Get your head out of your apps"  and "mash potatoes – not your head"  are no longer visible on the New Jersey Department of Transportation's network of 215 permanent digital alert signs throughout the state. Similar messages have been used in other states, including Utah, Pennsylvania, Delaware, California, and Tennessee.

"The FHWA [Federal Highway Administration] has instructed us to cease posting these creative safety messages,"  Stephen Schapiro, NJDOT's press manager, said in an email Wednesday afternoon.

In a statement, the FHWA said that it "is aware of the changeable message signs and has reached out to NJDOT."  Representatives from FHWA did not comment on why New Jersey was told to stop using the messages.

FHWA did not respond to questions about whether other states would be asked to change their roadside messaging.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 17, 2022, 08:03:11 AM
Sounds like the Feds might be pumping some brakes on the funny safety related VMS messages, at least in NJ:

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation/nj-department-of-transportation-road-signs-20221116.html

QuoteAs of Wednesday afternoon, messages such as "Get your head out of your apps"  and "mash potatoes – not your head"  are no longer visible on the New Jersey Department of Transportation's network of 215 permanent digital alert signs throughout the state. Similar messages have been used in other states, including Utah, Pennsylvania, Delaware, California, and Tennessee.

"The FHWA [Federal Highway Administration] has instructed us to cease posting these creative safety messages,"  Stephen Schapiro, NJDOT's press manager, said in an email Wednesday afternoon.

In a statement, the FHWA said that it "is aware of the changeable message signs and has reached out to NJDOT."  Representatives from FHWA did not comment on why New Jersey was told to stop using the messages.

FHWA did not respond to questions about whether other states would be asked to change their roadside messaging.

I wonder if Delware was told the same thing, as they're still using cutsy signage.

Maybe New Jersey can get by with truth in VMSvertising.

CRASH 1 MILE
BLOOD AND GUTS EVERYWHERE
RIGHT LANE CLOSED

JoePCool14

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 17, 2022, 08:03:11 AM

Is FHWA's problem with the fact that the messages are supposed to be funny or clever, or that they're being used for persistent safety messages in general? If their concern is the latter, maybe they believe that VMS's end up being less effective if they're always being used for general safety messages. If it's the former, then I guess they don't understand marketing. I'd rather have tasteful and clever but still clear messages than just generic "Buckle Up!" type signs.

I'd rather have them issue something about SILVER and AMBER alerts, how they shouldn't override all other messaging about travel times or congestion.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 17, 2022, 08:44:29 AM

CRASH 1 MILE
RIGHT LANE CLOSED

CRASH 1 MILE
BE A RUBBERNECK &
YOU MIGHT BE NEXT
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 17, 2022, 01:54:58 PM

CRASH 1 MILE
RIGHT LANE CLOSED

CRASH 1 MILE
BE A RUBBERNECK &
YOU MIGHT BE NEXT

I like that, but I'd modify it slightly:

CRASH 1 MILE
RUBBERNECKERS
MIGHT BE NEXT

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on November 17, 2022, 01:58:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 17, 2022, 01:54:58 PM

CRASH 1 MILE
RIGHT LANE CLOSED

CRASH 1 MILE
BE A RUBBERNECK &
YOU MIGHT BE NEXT

I like that, but I'd modify it slightly:

CRASH 1 MILE
RUBBERNECKERS
MIGHT BE NEXT

The problem with trying to eliminate rubberneecking is you can only go as fast as the person in front of you. Remember...the driver behind you is pissed off at YOU for going slow also!

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 17, 2022, 03:39:31 PM
The problem with trying to eliminate rubberneecking is you can only go as fast as the person in front of you. Remember...the driver behind you is pissed off at YOU for going slow also!

That's why the sign would also be illuminated for the driver in front of you.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Maybe New Jersey should take a page out of Ukraine's book and start just displaying "Fuck you" on their VMSes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

skluth

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 17, 2022, 05:30:41 PM
Maybe New Jersey should take a page out of Ukraine's book and start just displaying "Fuck you" on their VMSes.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I saw that on a VMS banner in New Jersey. It would shock me in Wisconsin or Missouri (the two states I've lived in most of my life). But New Jersey? I'd practically expect it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on November 17, 2022, 03:42:58 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 17, 2022, 03:39:31 PM

That's why the sign would also be illuminated for the driver in front of you.

And the driver in front of them, and the driver in front of them, and the driver in front of them...

Billy F 1988

QuoteROLLING A JOINT?

PARK IT LIKE ITS HOT!

near Exit 164 in Boulder, MT on I-15 as spotted on 511mdt.net

I'm going to assume this is a PSA for cannabis junkies.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

steviep24

Saw this on NY 390 in Rochester, NY on a portable VMS.

DRIVE
     WHILE
      HIGH

OUT OF
     YOUR
     MIND

Scott5114

Wait, they want me to drive while high out of my mind?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

From IDOT on 90/94 into Chicago: https://goo.gl/maps/gnqUNG5nN1yn3PyS7

DON'T OFFEND
DON'T ENGAGE
AVOID ROAD RAGE

I find this one a bit odd when it comes to "Don't Offend". In some cases, a simple lane change can piss someone off. And I mean a proper lane change, not a cut-off.

webny99

Quote from: steviep24 on January 05, 2023, 07:38:28 PM

DRIVE
     WHILE
      HIGH

OUT OF
     YOUR
     MIND

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2023, 07:47:19 PM

I think it may have been...

DRIVING
WHILE HIGH?

YOUR'E OUT
OF YOUR MIND

(Ironically enough, I don't remember for sure because I actually was at least partially out of my mind when I saw these signs last weekend, as I was a passenger and was drifting off to sleep at times.)

kalvado

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2023, 05:02:30 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on January 05, 2023, 07:38:28 PM

DRIVE
     WHILE
      HIGH

OUT OF
     YOUR
     MIND

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2023, 07:47:19 PM

I think it may have been...

DRIVING
WHILE HIGH?

YOUR'E OUT
OF YOUR MIND

(Ironically enough, I don't remember for sure because I actually was at least partially out of my mind when I saw these signs last weekend, as I was a passenger and was drifting off to sleep at times.)
Now my experience with this message... There is a big truck on my front left (I just merged highway), so I  don't see left shoulder too far.
A VMS coomes into the view from behind the truck
YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND
VMS vanishes behind me

0_o

SectorZ

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 06, 2023, 10:19:09 AM
From IDOT on 90/94 into Chicago: https://goo.gl/maps/gnqUNG5nN1yn3PyS7

DON'T OFFEND
DON'T ENGAGE
AVOID ROAD RAGE

I find this one a bit odd when it comes to "Don't Offend". In some cases, a simple lane change can piss someone off. And I mean a proper lane change, not a cut-off.

Does honking a horn for 10 seconds while recording it count as not engaging?

JoePCool14

From WisDOT:

HEAVY EYELIDS
CRUSH CARS

This one's just too on the nose. Or above the nose, I guess.

wanderer2575

Pick one!  And with the blizzard underway, maybe use the other to give us a couple drive times?  Or would that be too helpful?

roadfro

As some of you may be aware, the Vegas Golden Knights are currently vying for the NHL Stanley Cup.

In that spirit, the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada posted on Instagram a few days ago images from traffic cams showing three separate VMS safety messages that they recently displayed along Las Vegas area freeways:

THE GOAL IS
ZERO FATALITIES
GO KNIGHTS GO

SAFE DRIVERS
SAVE LIVES
DAY AND KNIGHT

CROSS CHECK
YOUR SEATBELT
DRIVE SAFE
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheHighwayMan3561

With Taylor Swift's tour coming to Minneapolis this weekend, MnDOT is using puns from her songs:

CUT OFF?
DON'T GET BAD BLOOD
       SHAKE IT OFF
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.