News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2023, 05:07:54 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on January 13, 2023, 02:14:31 PM
My homeschool curriculum history went something like this:

9th: Complete Church History

Just out of idle curiosity, the complete history of which church?
The entire Christian Church, from the early Roman church to modern missionary efforts and Pentecostalism (and pretty much everything in between, including the different splits and denominations).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on January 14, 2023, 07:37:25 PM
^ Are Africa and Antarctica not continents as well?

Antarctica is often considered to be an island.  Africa can go either way.  Sometimes Oceania is considered to be just a bunch of islands and Africa considered to be a continent.  It comes down to there's no hard and fast definition, just whatever your teachers had you memorize in school.

US 89

I have never heard Antarctica as anything but a continent. Geologically it is most certainly one.

Big John

I had a teacher try to tell me that Greenland was a continent.  I was punished for "correcting the teacher"

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on January 15, 2023, 12:35:37 AM

Antarctica is often considered to be an island.  Africa can go either way.  Sometimes Oceania is considered to be just a bunch of islands and Africa considered to be a continent.  It comes down to there's no hard and fast definition, just whatever your teachers had you memorize in school.
*citation needed*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CoreySamson on January 14, 2023, 08:40:23 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2023, 05:07:54 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on January 13, 2023, 02:14:31 PM
My homeschool curriculum history went something like this:

9th: Complete Church History

Just out of idle curiosity, the complete history of which church?
The entire Christian Church, from the early Roman church to modern missionary efforts and Pentecostalism (and pretty much everything in between, including the different splits and denominations).

Interesting, thanks.

Quote from: kkt on January 15, 2023, 12:35:37 AM

Africa can go either way.

There is no way this is true.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

I guess Africa could maybe be considered two continents, since the eastern fourth of it is in the process of rifting away...

Poiponen13

Quote from: SteveG1988 on June 11, 2016, 03:02:54 AM
Did you know that in the UK there are days when it never goes from twilight to night. The sun has to be 18 degrees below the horizon before "night" happens in an astronomical way. the UK is northern enough to where it doesn't happen

And I just found out that parallel 48^33'43''N, which is southern boundary of areas wih no noght proper in summer solstice, passes just south of northernmost point in Hungary.

Takumi

The northernmost tip of Africa is at the same latitude as Richmond, VA. The southernmost point of Africa is just south of Montevideo, Uruguay.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 28, 2015, 02:50:10 PM
Travel in a straight line in all four cardinal directions from Superior, Wisconsin and the next state you hit will always be Minnesota.

Try finding another place like that; it's really hard.

I'm sure many places along the Jersey/Pennsylvania border meet this criteria, such as:

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FswRHNERLZRLwfpMA

This is actually easy, here's one from North/South Carolina:

16200-16222 Cozy Cove Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1gZcyEP3Ke88zWu58

But to clarify, is this by road or as the crow flies?

Edit: Jeez look at that Arkansas Mississippi state line! You could probably cross it a few times in one cardinal direction. Basically follow the Mississippi/Ohio Rivers and you'll find dozens or hundreds of these examples.

Phillips County
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aYFHJdZJa2VzWVM18

Dirt Roads

^^^
This location on the Appalachian Trail in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia fits this category.  Plus, when you go a few hundred feet north approaching the Virginia border, the westward line actually crosses into Virginia twice.

MultiMillionMiler

I don't know who designed those state lines but literally some of them almost wrap into a circle, like Davis Island for example.

Here's one: Delaware is connected to New Jersey by land, although I don't know if the public can access it.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WSmrdgZLKZmyXWEn7

GaryV

MMM, ever heard of meanders?

Some borders are weird because when the border was legally defined, there were assumptions made that turned out to not be correct. The NW Angle in MN is one of those; it's also the basis for Michigan Territory's claim to Toledo.

Look for a book called "How the States Got Their Shapes". There might also be a video version.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: GaryV on January 20, 2023, 05:56:32 PM
MMM, ever heard of meanders?

Some borders are weird because when the border was legally defined, there were assumptions made that turned out to not be correct. The NW Angle in MN is one of those; it's also the basis for Michigan Territory's claim to Toledo.

Look for a book called "How the States Got Their Shapes". There might also be a video version.

There was/is a show on How the States Got Their Shapes. I think it was the National Geographic Channel or something similar.

Poiponen13

Inuvik, NT has solar noon at 3:00 pm at summer. Inuvik definitely needs to join Pacific Time Zone.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salinas,_California
Here is another one Salinas, CA is the largest city in Monterey County, CA and not Monterey City proper itself.

bwana39

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 12, 2023, 01:10:37 PM
At my high school, US history was split into two years, with the first spent on colonization up to Reconstruction, and the second (also the AP US History section) dedicated to Reconstruction to LBJ's Great Society, the latter being about 25 years in the past at that point.  My APUSH teacher, who died almost a decade later of cancer, had grown up in Arkansas and spoke of missing her first opportunity to vote because poll taxes were still required (they had not been banned at that point) and had not been paid on her behalf.

Poll taxes applied to everyone regardless to race, sex, or creed. They clearly were more difficult to pay if you were poor and most minority group members in that era in the south were poor. They almost surely were done to target the minority groups, but they were not the only ones affected by them .
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bwana39 on February 25, 2023, 03:12:43 PM
At my high school, US history was split into two years, with the first spent on colonization up to Reconstruction, and the second (also the AP US History section) dedicated to Reconstruction to LBJ's Great Society, the latter being about 25 years in the past at that point.  My APUSH teacher, who died almost a decade later of cancer, had grown up in Arkansas and spoke of missing her first opportunity to vote because poll taxes were still required (they had not been banned at that point) and had not been paid on her behalf.

Poll taxes applied to everyone regardless to race, sex, or creed. They clearly were more difficult to pay if you were poor and most minority group members in that era in the south were poor. They almost surely were done to target the minority groups, but they were not the only ones affected by them .

The grandfather clause, in the original sense of the term, exempted this, although it varied by state, and Arkansas does not appear to be on the list of states that had it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2023, 03:16:32 PM

The grandfather clause, in the original sense of the term, exempted this, although it varied by state, and Arkansas does not appear to be on the list of states that had it.
Many states in the south also disenfranchised poor whites. This led to voter turnout being lower in the 1950s than in the 1870s during reconstruction.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 25, 2023, 03:50:03 PM

Many states in the south also disenfranchised poor whites. This led to voter turnout being lower in the 1950s than in the 1870s during reconstruction.
Of course. 

My grandfather lived by the Southern racial hierarchy:  Whites, blacks, poor white trash.  He hired a black man to work in his store, but would never hire anyone considered to be poor white trash.

That said, anyone who says poll taxes were not racist policies is ignorant of how Southern society was structured and how poor white trash were treated as a different race.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Quote from: Rothman on February 25, 2023, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 25, 2023, 03:50:03 PM

Of course. 

My grandfather lived by the Southern racial hierarchy:  Whites, blacks, poor white trash.  He hired a black man to work in his store, but would never hire anyone considered to be poor white trash.

That said, anyone who says poll taxes were not racist policies is ignorant of how Southern society was structured and how poor white trash were treated as a different race.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't racist, just that it applied as was pointed out affected the poorer whites as well. Ironically, in some places, if you neglected to pay your poll tax, you could pay them on election day (or even get a pass if you were not undesirable.)

I agree PWT were a notch below parts of black society.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kkt

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 21, 2023, 03:39:31 PM
Inuvik, NT has solar noon at 3:00 pm at summer. Inuvik definitely needs to join Pacific Time Zone.

Solar noon is irrelevent at Inuvik in the summer.  From May 25 to July 19, the sun is up all the time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@5983607?month=7

Bruce

Quote from: bing101 on February 25, 2023, 03:03:43 PM
Here is another one Salinas, CA is the largest city in Monterey County, CA and not Monterey City proper itself.

Not an uncommon situation, especially if a county seat doesn't remain the main economic center of the county. My own county has a city (Snohomish) that was once county seat but later overshadowed and lost that status; it is now the 12th largest city in the county by population, with less than 1/10th of the population of the largest city and county seat (Everett).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2023, 11:49:04 PM

Not an uncommon situation, especially if a county seat doesn't remain the main economic center of the county. My own county has a city (Snohomish) that was once county seat but later overshadowed and lost that status; it is now the 12th largest city in the county by population, with less than 1/10th of the population of the largest city and county seat (Everett).
Norfolk, Massachusetts, is nowhere near the most populous town in Norfolk County.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

michravera

There are a couple of cities in California that are not only not the most populous city in the eponymous county, but aren't even in located the eponymous county:
Sutterville is in Sacramento County, not Sutter
Placerville is in El Dorado County, not Placer
Yuba City is in Sutter County, not Yuba

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.