News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 17, 2016, 11:33:57 PM
Here's something odd, though it's kind of a human construct.  I don't know who decided this, but the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is completely in the eastern time zone except for the counties that border Wisconsin.  I don't know why they didn't put the boundary along the state line, but they put it one county into Michigan instead.  For that reason, as I took a trip to the Porcupine Mountains last July, my buddy and I sat outside and watched the sunset over Lake Superior after reaching our hotel--just after 10pm.

Of course, that's also a function of just being so far north. Even down in Western NY, the July twilight lasts well after 9pm. But nothing prepared me for the effects of this when I visited the UK and Ireland–although I had seen the late summer sun in places like Alaska, I found it very striking when it happens in a place that isn't geographically remote. Going about my business in bustling cities with daylight still plentiful until well past 10:00 was confusing to me, especially combined with the relatively early closing hours of most businesses there.

Chris

Summer evenings are pleasant in Scandinavia because the sun sets so late, if it sets at all. I was driving through southern Norway in 2014, and even though I was like 500 miles south of the Arctic Circle, the sky never turned completely dark.

Due to high latitude, northern places in Norway are very far east in longitude. Vardø in northern Norway is farther east than Istanbul. Norway is only 700 miles from Canada, from Svalbard to Ellesmere Island.

Europeans are also often not aware how large Svalbard is. It is twice the area of Belgium and only somewhat smaller than Ireland. It is also farther north than people realize (if they are aware of it at all), it's 660 kilometers from the North Cape. And people actually live on Svalbard, the capital of Longyearbyen has a population of 2,000, which is located 850 kilometers north of the North Cape.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: mhh on May 18, 2016, 07:00:53 AM
Here's something odd, though it's kind of a human construct.  I don't know who decided this, but the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is completely in the eastern time zone except for the counties that border Wisconsin.  I don't know why they didn't put the boundary along the state line, but they put it one county into Michigan instead.  For that reason, as I took a trip to the Porcupine Mountains last July, my buddy and I sat outside and watched the sunset over Lake Superior after reaching our hotel--just after 10pm.

Those western counties have closer economic ties to Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St. Paul than to Detroit, hence the different time zone.

Highly debatable...but I won't debate it.

Quote from: empirestate on May 18, 2016, 10:13:05 AM
Of course, that's also a function of just being so far north. Even down in Western NY, the July twilight lasts well after 9pm. But nothing prepared me for the effects of this when I visited the UK and Ireland–although I had seen the late summer sun in places like Alaska, I found it very striking when it happens in a place that isn't geographically remote. Going about my business in bustling cities with daylight still plentiful until well past 10:00 was confusing to me, especially combined with the relatively early closing hours of most businesses there.

Yep yep!

Quote from: Chris on May 18, 2016, 02:18:52 PM
Summer evenings are pleasant in Scandinavia because the sun sets so late, if it sets at all. I was driving through southern Norway in 2014, and even though I was like 500 miles south of the Arctic Circle, the sky never turned completely dark.

Due to high latitude, northern places in Norway are very far east in longitude. Vardø in northern Norway is farther east than Istanbul. Norway is only 700 miles from Canada, from Svalbard to Ellesmere Island.

Europeans are also often not aware how large Svalbard is. It is twice the area of Belgium and only somewhat smaller than Ireland. It is also farther north than people realize (if they are aware of it at all), it's 660 kilometers from the North Cape. And people actually live on Svalbard, the capital of Longyearbyen has a population of 2,000, which is located 850 kilometers north of the North Cape.

This actually made my brain flip out a little bit.  The northern reaches are around 70°N latitude.  After fooling around a bit with google maps, I found that a degree from east to west at 70°N latitude is only about 24 miles.  Mercator projection messes with your mind and yet we just take it as based fact of what the world looks like.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

bulldog1979

Also, in the days when we had a later start time for Sunday alcohol sales in the state, the statewide start time was 12 noon Eastern Time. That meant the four UP counties on Central Time could legally sell alcohol on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. local time, or the same start time as Wisconsin. (In the past few years, the state has moved to allow Sunday morning alcohol sales if local municipalities don't disapprove and the liquor license holder buys an additional permit for such sales.)

SteveG1988

Did you know that in the UK there are days when it never goes from twilight to night. The sun has to be 18 degrees below the horizon before "night" happens in an astronomical way. the UK is northern enough to where it doesn't happen

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

english si

^^ Yes ;)

At 3am last night, I realized the time when the light through the window was enough to notice. It hadn't got fully dark, but it did get fairly dark (partially due to cloud cover) so when nautical twilight started just before 3am (partially due to cloud cover).

In the US, you will get it in Alaska (and more), and should get it at the 49th on midsummers. Seattle has night-proper every night, but Vancouver has a month where the sun doesn't go below 18 degrees.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: english si on June 11, 2016, 06:48:32 AM
^^ Yes ;)

At 3am last night, I realized the time when the light through the window was enough to notice. It hadn't got fully dark, but it did get fairly dark (partially due to cloud cover) so when nautical twilight started just before 3am (partially due to cloud cover).

In the US, you will get it in Alaska (and more), and should get it at the 49th on midsummers. Seattle has night-proper every night, but Vancouver has a month where the sun doesn't go below 18 degrees.

I'm fairly certain that also applied to Bellingham up in Washingto right on the British Columbia border. 

english si

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2016, 09:38:55 AMI'm fairly certain that also applied to Bellingham up in Washingto right on the British Columbia border.
Yes, but it doesn't get that far south of the 49th parallel. Bellingham has 2 weeks (14th to 27th of June) without night-proper, but Victoria, BC has at least 40 minutes of night-proper every day.

CNGL-Leudimin

Back when Yemen was split, South Yemen reached farther North than North Yemen.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

West Liberty, Ky., is actually well northeast of Liberty, Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tckma

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2016, 12:31:50 PM
West Liberty, Ky., is actually well northeast of Liberty, Ky.

In Massachusetts, the towns of Marlborough, Westborough, Southborough, and Northborough are not, geographically speaking, in those places.  The whole area used to be part of Marlborough.  I think Westborough broke off first, at which point it was indeed west, but is now mainly south, of Marlborough.  I used to know more about this when I actually lived there.

Also, to quote the cover a live touring album from a particular Canadian band I enjoy: "Canada is a big country.  St. John's[, NL] is closer to Paris than [it is to] Victoria[, BC]."

kalvado

Quote from: tckma on June 13, 2016, 03:11:10 PM
Also, to quote the cover a live touring album from a particular Canadian band I enjoy: "Canada is a big country.  St. John's[, NL] is closer to Paris than [it is to] Victoria[, BC]."

Russian second biggest city, Leningrad, is closer to Bangor, ME than easternmost russian cities - Vladivostok or Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LED-PKC,+LED-VVO,+LED-bgr,+LED+-JFK

Big John

Quote from: kalvado on June 13, 2016, 04:04:22 PM

Russian second biggest city, Leningrad, is closer to Bangor, ME than easternmost russian cities - Vladivostok or Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky

They changed it back to St. Petersburg in the 90s.

Duke87

Quote from: english si on June 11, 2016, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2016, 09:38:55 AMI'm fairly certain that also applied to Bellingham up in Washingto right on the British Columbia border.
Yes, but it doesn't get that far south of the 49th parallel. Bellingham has 2 weeks (14th to 27th of June) without night-proper, but Victoria, BC has at least 40 minutes of night-proper every day.

I'm thinking that with the Arctic Circle at about 66.5 degrees north, the latitude above which nights where the sun does not get more than 18 degrees below the horizon can occur would logically be 66.5 - 18 = 48.5. So there's a strip of the continental US about 30 miles wide that fits the bill.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jwolfer

Quote from: Big John on June 13, 2016, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 13, 2016, 04:04:22 PM

They changed it back to St. Petersburg in the 90s.
I have They Might be Giants  "now it's Istanbul not Constantinople.." running thru my head

mgk920

Quote from: Duke87 on June 13, 2016, 10:44:48 PM
Quote from: english si on June 11, 2016, 12:33:43 PM

I'm thinking that with the Arctic Circle at about 66.5 degrees north, the latitude above which nights where the sun does not get more than 18 degrees below the horizon can occur would logically be 66.5 - 18 = 48.5. So there's a strip of the continental US about 30 miles wide that fits the bill.

There are a few days every year when the International Space Station does not go into earth's shadow, its orbit goes sufficiently north and south (maximum 51.6442 degrees) that this improper night thing keeps it out of Earth's shadow and visible in overhead passes at local midnight in places where those extremes of its orbit are normally visible on the ground when it is in sunlight at other times of the night.

Mike

empirestate

Quote from: english si on June 11, 2016, 06:48:32 AM
^^ Yes ;)

Watching the news from Britain right now, and I'm struck that it's not yet 4:30 and nearly full daylight.

english si

Quote from: empirestate on June 23, 2016, 11:30:10 PMWatching the news from Britain right now, and I'm struck that it's not yet 4:30 and nearly full daylight.
Yep. It started getting lighter here in the south at about 0340. The video from Sunderland in this article was live at about half 10 (it was rather dark here by then).

The Orkney results at 0006 BST were given 10 minutes after streetlights were turned on.

The presenter on the BBC just said "x is joining me early in the morning. Sorry, 7.30 on a June morning isn't early morning is it."

dvferyance

I think some people know Key West is closer to Havana then it is to Miami but most are unaware that Alert NU near the Northern tip of Canada is closer to Moscow than it is to Ottawa.

dvferyance

Quote from: Big John on December 07, 2015, 09:00:57 AM
Prior to 2002, the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West.
While the Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC east.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dvferyance on June 27, 2016, 07:02:26 PM
Prior to 2002, the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West.

Or the Bucs being in the NFC Central....  The Cowboys are still in the NFC East largely due to historic rivalries...

SignGeek101

Quote from: SteveG1988 on June 11, 2016, 03:02:54 AM
Did you know that in the UK there are days when it never goes from twilight to night. The sun has to be 18 degrees below the horizon before "night" happens in an astronomical way. the UK is northern enough to where it doesn't happen

Not just the UK. Where I live, right now at least, there is no "night". In the winter, the sun only gets to 17 degrees at solar noon.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 27, 2016, 07:48:25 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 27, 2016, 07:02:26 PM

Or the Bucs being in the NFC Central....  The Cowboys are still in the NFC East largely due to historic rivalries...

And prior to 1995, the Braves and Reds were in the NL West, and the Cubs and Cardinals were in the NL East.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tckma

Border straddling (of the US and Canada)!

Estcourt Station, Maine is far more easily accessible from Canada than it is from the US, but, it's only a few houses and a gas station.
Similarly, there is:

* The town of Hyder, Alaska
* The Northwest Angle of Minnesota
* Point Roberts, Washington
* and a few others I haven't mentioned here.

There's also Canusa Street, the centerline of which is part of the US-Canada border (i.e. the street is in both countries).  A similar situation occurs at the Haskell Free Library and Opera House, part of which is in Derby Line, Vermont, USA and part of which is in Stanstead, Québec, Canada. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.