News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Should the "city meet" concept be repeated?

Started by A.J. Bertin, May 06, 2019, 09:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select one of the following options to share your opinion of whether the "city meet" concept should be repeated:

Yes - I attended the Providence meet and liked how it turned out. I liked the concept.
11 (39.3%)
Yes - I wanted to attend the Providence meet but was not able to. I'd like another opportunity to attend a "city meet".
13 (46.4%)
No - I attended the Providence meet and discovered that the self-guided tour plan was not my cup of tea. I thought I'd like it but I didn't.
0 (0%)
No - I didn't like the concept and decided not to attend the Providence meet because of it. I can't envision myself ever attending a "city meet".
0 (0%)
I don't have an opinion either way.
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: May 27, 2019, 09:15:19 PM

baugh17

I wasn't sure how well the concept would play itself out going into this, but it turned out that it wasn't bad in the end (Think of it as a full version of what happens when you have time to spare before returning to the lunch location).  I wouldn't make this the default format for meets going forward.  But it might be a good one to use if there not a lot of things to explore in a given area or a larger number of things over a larger area, which will allow for opportunities for attendees to fulfill other interests.  One recommendation that I would make for these types of meets going forward is if there are one or two things in the area to highlight them in some medium, whether it be a handout at the meet or included on a meet page, whether it's in this forum or on Facebook or wherever.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: baugh17 on May 09, 2019, 09:43:42 PM
I wasn't sure how well the concept would play itself out going into this, but it turned out that it wasn't bad in the end (Think of it as a full version of what happens when you have time to spare before returning to the lunch location).  I wouldn't make this the default format for meets going forward.  But it might be a good one to use if there not a lot of things to explore in a given area or a larger number of things over a larger area, which will allow for opportunities for attendees to fulfill other interests.  One recommendation that I would make for these types of meets going forward is if there are one or two things in the area to highlight them in some medium, whether it be a handout at the meet or included on a meet page, whether it's in this forum or on Facebook or wherever.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I appreciate it. I don't think that anyone would want to make this the default format for meets going forward because those of us who attend road meets tend to like the organized tours in general. If other folks want to use my idea and tailor it to what they'd like to see (or not change it), I have no problem with that. But yeah... I doubt too many people besides me would want to host meets in this format.

I think the next time I host a "city meet", I'm going to try to do a better job listing the itinerary suggestions on either the Facebook event, this forum, or both. I'm totally expecting that there might be some destinations I announce that there might not be a lot of appeal for... and that's all right. Now that I've got one under my belt, potential attendees kinda know what to expect.
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

I am considering hosting a meet next year. I am not aware of "lots" of road-worthy things to see (which may change with a couple of scouting trips), so this city-meet concept seems like the way to go. I will keep reading posts made on this thread to see how every one liked it.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mattpedersen

I was there. I liked the "freestyle"  aspect, where people can partner for what their objectives are.

brianreynolds

I was delighted when Providence was chosen for the initial location for the experiment.  It allowed me to do some genealogy research on my late-17th century family roots.  It also allowed me to visit Nantucket, my final county to visit in New England (or the NE quadrant of the US for that matter).  Neither of these goals would fit neatly into a traditional road-oriented meet.  My favorite part of every road meet is the social time with others whose interests are as oddly skewed as mine.  I missed the lunch (dammit!), but caught up with some folks later at dinner.  The large crowd was an unmistakable mark of the meet's success, but the long table made it tough to connect socially with everyone.  Next time, I will be sure to attend both meals.  Speaking of next time - and I have no doubt that there will be a next time - I've heard the Outer Banks of North Carolina mentioned.  Wouldn't that be great?  No pressure.  Just sayin'.

froggie

^ Yes, it's a pity you couldn't make the lunch (and I couldn't make dinner).  Been a long while since we last met.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on May 13, 2019, 10:19:45 PM
I was delighted when Providence was chosen for the initial location for the experiment.  It allowed me to do some genealogy research on my late-17th century family roots.  It also allowed me to visit Nantucket, my final county to visit in New England (or the NE quadrant of the US for that matter).  Neither of these goals would fit neatly into a traditional road-oriented meet.  My favorite part of every road meet is the social time with others whose interests are as oddly skewed as mine.  I missed the lunch (dammit!), but caught up with some folks later at dinner.  The large crowd was an unmistakable mark of the meet's success, but the long table made it tough to connect socially with everyone.  Next time, I will be sure to attend both meals. 

I'm so glad you were able to attend part of the Providence gathering, Brian. And I'm glad it gave you the opportunity to do some genealogy research. Yes... I was also delighted by the size of the group. Part of the reason, I think, the group was as big as it was had to do with the location. (Lots of roadgeeks happen to live in the eastern/northeastern U.S.)

Quote from: brianreynolds on May 13, 2019, 10:19:45 PM
Speaking of next time - and I have no doubt that there will be a next time - I've heard the Outer Banks of North Carolina mentioned.  Wouldn't that be great?  No pressure.  Just sayin'.

Yep... I've pretty much decided that I need to make this an annual event. After the poll in this thread closes, I'm going to start a new topic for the 2020 city meet and will ask people to vote between Omaha and the Outer Banks. Whichever of those two does not win for 2020 will be the automatic choice for 2021. Make sure you vote in the poll! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

brianreynolds

Quote from: froggie on May 14, 2019, 08:11:50 AM
^ Yes, it's a pity you couldn't make the lunch (and I couldn't make dinner).  Been a long while since we last met.
Indeed it has.  I am confident that we will meet again.  Venue TBD.

cl94

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 14, 2019, 01:19:51 PM
Yep... I've pretty much decided that I need to make this an annual event. After the poll in this thread closes, I'm going to start a new topic for the 2020 city meet and will ask people to vote between Omaha and the Outer Banks. Whichever of those two does not win for 2020 will be the automatic choice for 2021. Make sure you vote in the poll! :)

This needs to be annual. I did as much socializing as in a typical meet, but I got to see so much more due to the free-form afternoon. Both of those are good choices for entirely different. I'd prefer Omaha just because it would allow me to cross off another state (possibly two if I popped up to ND), but I could fly to Charlotte and get to the Outer Banks as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on May 19, 2019, 02:39:51 PM
This needs to be annual. I did as much socializing as in a typical meet, but I got to see so much more due to the free-form afternoon. Both of those are good choices for entirely different. I'd prefer Omaha just because it would allow me to cross off another state (possibly two if I popped up to ND), but I could fly to Charlotte and get to the Outer Banks as well.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the Providence city meet. The current poll will close on May 27. After that I'll create the next poll asking folks to vote between Omaha and Outer Banks. Make sure you cast your vote when the poll opens. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.