News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Abandoned Delaware Co. Ohio Roadmeet, Nov. 2

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, May 23, 2019, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I am hoping this November to do a roadmeet that will feature former alignment, and former bridges, of local roads between Columbus and my residence. There will have to be some imagination involved, a little bit of hiking, and hopefully the local vegetation will have faded or harvested by this time. Basically the tour will go around Hoover, Alum Creek, and Delaware reservoirs, and maybe the Scioto River if the timing works.

Saturday, November 2 is Ohio State football's bye week, so I'm hoping that I have nothing to compete with that weekend. That said, I will give Doug Kerr, and his Newburyport meet, precedence to the Nov. 2 date if he so chooses, and push my meet back 2 weeks, if not till another time (late fall is a key for my proposal so that everything is harvested, and snow hasn't set in)

With this meet coming after DST expires for the year, the setup will be either 'Tour-Dinner' or 'Brunch-Tour-Dinner,' exact format to be determined later.

So, I hope this all comes together and if it works out, I'll try some of the other neighboring counties, besides C-bus, in the future.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kevinb1994

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 23, 2019, 09:00:49 PM
I am hoping this November to do a roadmeet that will feature former alignment, and former bridges, of local roads between Columbus and my residence. There will have to be some imagination involved, a little bit of hiking, and hopefully the local vegetation will have faded or harvested by this time. Basically the tour will go around Hoover, Alum Creek, and Delaware reservoirs, and maybe the Scioto River if the timing works.

Saturday, November 2 is Ohio State football's bye week, so I'm hoping that I have nothing to compete with that weekend. That said, I will give Doug Kerr, and his Newburyport meet, precedence to the Nov. 2 date if he so chooses, and push my meet back 2 weeks, if not till another time (late fall is a key for my proposal so that everything is harvested, and snow hasn't set in)

With this meet coming after DST expires for the year, the setup will be either 'Tour-Dinner' or 'Brunch-Tour-Dinner,' exact format to be determined later.

So, I hope this all comes together and if it works out, I'll try some of the other neighboring counties, besides C-bus, in the future.

Great. Color us interested. Hold it with foliage.

EDIT: Unfortunately we can't easily bring the convertible with us in the mid-late fall, so we're out.

webny99

This is like the eighth time this thread has popped up as having new posts, and I've clicked it only to find there's no new posts.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on May 30, 2019, 10:08:28 AM
This is like the eighth time this thread has popped up as having new posts, and I've clicked it only to find there's no new posts.

I was going to mention not having enough flights between Cbus and Jax, but that edit got censored by the mods, so I backtracked a little to only mention the possibility of taking US 23 to attend the meet, but I soon realized that taking our BMW convertible would not make much sense in the mid-late fall weather, so we're out.

vdeane

Maybe someone keeps editing their posts?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 30, 2019, 05:53:15 PM

I wondered, but I didn't know the forum treated edits as if they were new posts.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on May 30, 2019, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 30, 2019, 05:53:15 PM

I wondered, but I didn't know the forum treated edits as if they were new posts.

It does if it's the most recent post in the thread.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dvferyance

I was bummed about missing the Columbus road meet in 2017 I would love for there to be another road meet in Columbus or close by.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: dvferyance on June 08, 2019, 10:41:02 PM
I was bummed about missing the Columbus road meet in 2017 I would love for there to be another road meet in Columbus or close by.
C-bus meets are done in 6 year windows (2005-2011-2017), so the next one won't be till 2023.
Thus, I'm trying a tour of suburban relics in its place.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I said I was going to do this, so I should drop all radio silence and commence putting this together.

Saturday, Nov. 2 - 11 AM @ Westerville Grill# (59 S. State St, aka Oh 3, Westerville, Oh)

Itinerary to include:
Abandoned roads of Galena (due to Hoover Reservoir)
Chambers Rd Covered Bridge (last covered bridge in Delaware Co)
The abandoned RR piers of Kilbourne
Abandoned roads around Delaware Reservoir (sticking to the eastside)
Abandoned roads around Alum Creek Reservoir
If time permits, Old Orange Rd bridge over the Olentangy.
----
# - may move the meet starting point if attendance/parking becomes a problem

As I stated in my original post for this thread, this is Ohio State football's bye week, so I won't have to worry about restaurants tied up with football traffic. This is also the last weekend for Daylight Savings time, so I shouldn't have to start much earlier.

If you do decide to attend, wear comfortable shoes, because there will be some hiking involved. Hopefully weather will cooperate in that a killing frost will have occurred by then, so foliage won't be an issue for seeing these *landmarks,* but at the same time be warm enough that no one will protest leaving their vehicles.

Being that I will be showing many locations that don't exist anymore, some imagination on the attendees' part will be required.

I hope to see you here.

frankenroad

Put me down as a definite maybe.   I have ancestors from the Westerville area (and my son lives there now).  One time, my mother and I went looking for the old family farm only to discover it was under the Hoover Reservoir.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Hot Rod Hootenanny

NE2

Why is there a thread about an abandoned roadmeet?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on October 02, 2019, 10:38:39 PM

Hell, I'd be up for one out on the West Coast if anyone ever proposed one.  I could think of some really cool abandoned road hikes like the North Lincoln Highway in Donner Pass, Old Big Oak Flat Road, Old Tioga Pass Road, the Old Colony Mill Road and really a ton more.  Even in places like Florida I've found abandoned roads as hiking trails to be quite plentiful, especially in the Everglades and Florida Keys.   

Hot Rod Hootenanny

NE2/SPUI/Dan Moraseski's concerns withstanding...
Itinerary for this roadmeet has been typed up.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vV2vdMFBiQtHeTn4Ns2tA6TN9_na5TtDyOETpkRs9Hw/edit?usp=sharing

See you here!

Alps

Now that work's giving me free*! overtime every week, I just might splurge. Have a housewarming to seal the deal

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Right now, I have only 2 RSVPs for my tour of the DelCo Hinderlands. Anyone else interested (in attending)?

Alps

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2019, 01:40:43 AM
Now that work's giving me free*! overtime every week, I just might splurge. Have a housewarming to seal the deal
I'm definitely out.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2019, 11:06:17 PM
Hell, I'd be up for one out on the West Coast if anyone ever proposed one.

I think you missed the joke...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2019, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2019, 11:06:17 PM
Hell, I'd be up for one out on the West Coast if anyone ever proposed one.

I think you missed the joke...

Actually I didn't, the humor in said post wasn't lost.  That said, I was more surprised that someone was hosting a road meeting about abandoned and former highways somewhere that wasn't the West Coast or one of the major deserts.  Considering this takes place close to area I grew up at I would be interested if I happened to be on a trip visiting family if something like this was held again.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.